Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

35 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

The bit where he continues about 'let's get Gone With the Wind back' had GWTW trending on twitter last night. After the outcry on social media regarding Trump's mention about this movie  (during black history month no less), Jack Probosiec, Trump fan extraordinaire, pointed out that actress Hattie McDaniel was the first African American to win an Oscar for her performance in that movie which while true, deflated pretty quickly when folks reminded him that she wasn't allowed to enter the 'white only' part of the hotel until Selznick arranged for her admittance. Almost as good is that the lead characters (Vivian Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, etc) were foreign workers and Billy Wilder was an immigrant. Sigh.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The bit where he continues about 'let's get Gone With the Wind back' had GWTW trending on twitter last night. After the outcry on social media regarding Trump's mention about this movie  (during black history month no less), Jack Probosiec, Trump fan extraordinaire, pointed out that actress Hattie McDaniel was the first African American to win an Oscar for her performance in that movie which while true, deflated pretty quickly when folks reminded him that she wasn't allowed to enter the 'white only' part of the hotel until Selznick arranged for her admittance. Almost as good is that the lead characters (Vivian Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, etc) were foreign workers and Billy Wilder was an immigrant. Sigh.

I'm surprised he didn't go on about the injustice of the leftists, Hollywood elitists not creating the Oscars before Birth of a Nation.  We need more movies like Birth of a Nation.

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

I'm surprised he didn't go on about the injustice of the leftists, Hollywood elitists not creating the Oscars before Birth of a Nation.  We need more movies like Birth of a Nation.

Don't even get me started. Apparently "Birth..." is trending as well. Stephen Miller probably made it protocol for all new hires to view.

12 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Moscow Mitch is probably overall much worse than trump for the country and trump is the biggest piece of shit to ever walk the planet. So what does that tell you about Moscow Mitch?

Mitch is the establishment evil that Trump co-opted largely to the establishment's chagrin. He must be distressed that Trump's bumbling is exposing so much of the treasonous wickedness the GOP had been quietly up to.

Imagine Moscow Mitch's surprise and delight that not a big enough majority cares.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's no secret that Trump's base leans pretty hard towards the uneducated.  Perhaps the best thing about a good college education is that it helps young minds learn to constantly question their positions and refine or refute when the evidence to the contrary is clear.

Which is why Trump is so popular among aggy and Okies.  

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Lulz. Way to go with this guy, GOP. 

It's stunning to me that a significant portion of Americans, including the president evidently, don't know how tariffs work.  Do they literally think that China, or whomever, is paying for the privileged of selling in the US?  

Maybe Trump is a good thing...we clearly have no business running the world anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't think Wilder had anything to do with that piece of shit.  And let's be honest, Gone with the Wind, despite ahead-of-its-time cinematography, is not a good movie. It's practically unwatchable, and not just for the racism. Hattie won an Oscar? Great, she did a fine job of telling people that slaves were happy and really part of the family...you know, in that I'm-part-of-the-family-so-it's-okay-they-sell-my-children kind of way. 

Note: I am not criticizing Hattie.  She was trying to make a living in a time and industry that didn't provide a hell of a lot of other opportunities.  It's not like she passed over that inspirational teacher role to play the thankful slave. And, from what I recall, she did a fine job of portraying the character as written. But holy fuck, what a character.  It was a character that rationalized slavery, less than 80 years after it.  There weren't like a whole lot of former slaves when it came it, but there were some still alive. I wonder what it was like for them to watch the hysteria that surrounded that film.  That we, today, 80 years later, can look at that character and state it getting an Oscar is some sort of advancement in civil rights really demonstrates how fucked up we were, and still are. 

• Like 1

A good time to remember that there’s a handful of people in this country that, when deciding whether to vote for Trump the first time around thought “I don’t think this guy should be president, I just can’t vote for him.” THEN, they spent a few years watching this fucking moron shit himself on a daily basis as POTUS and said to themselves “I was wrong. Man, this guy is exactly the kind of President we need!”

That probably describes 6 or 7 hopelessly retarded people in this country, and none other than our own @Johnny Sack is on that short list.

Congrats buddy!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I don't think Wilder had anything to do with that piece of shit.  And let's be honest, Gone with the Wind, despite ahead-of-its-time cinematography, is not a good movie. It's practically unwatchable, and not just for the racism. Hattie won an Oscar? Great, she did a fine job of telling people that slaves were happy and really part of the family...you know, in that I'm-part-of-the-family-so-it's-okay-they-sell-my-children kind of way. 

Note: I am not criticizing Hattie.  She was trying to make a living in a time and industry that didn't provide a hell of a lot of other opportunities.  It's not like she passed over that inspirational teacher role to play the thankful slave. And, from what I recall, she did a fine job of portraying the character as written. But holy fuck, what a character.  It was a character that rationalized slavery, less than 80 years after it.  There weren't like a whole lot of former slaves when it came it, but there were some still alive. I wonder what it was like for them to watch the hysteria that surrounded that film.  That we, today, 80 years later, can look at that character and state it getting an Oscar is some sort of advancement in civil rights really demonstrates how fucked up we were, and still are. 

You're not wrong. Half of the twitter stuff I read was people calling out the film. Jack P was 'splaining to his listeners just in case they needed to trot out a reason for wanting to go back to the good old days of the South. "Hey! It's okay that I'm racist! Hattie won an Oscar!" Which, like you said is not to criticize her but to point out the craziness of the contortions people will use to rationalize and essentially square their personal image of "I'm a good person. Good people aren't racist, therefore I'm not a racist." It took ten years before another black actress was nominated in the best supporting actress category, and 15 before the leading actress role had a black nominee: the lovely Dorothy Dandridge. Halle Berry was the first winner...in 2001.

Billy Wilder was the Sunset Boulevard guy--that was in Trump's original rally speech but you may have missed that part.

57 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ha. Farmers get more aid for the position that Trump put them in. That old government teet is wonderful when it keeps your party getting votes from the class of people you are keeping dependent on the government due to your own policies. 

But only large corporate farms. The small American farmer is still bankrupted and commiting suicide at unprecedented rates. 

Having so many uneducated and ignorant people in this country means they eventually start inventing their own brand of "education" consisting of pure idiocy that then propagates through the ignorant masses in social media. It's how you get stuff like flat earth theory. It's also how the population is easily fooled into thinking trump and republicans are on their side when in actuality Bernie Sanders is the candidate who would seem to be most on their side. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's hard to keep from mixing up the numbers of  the Witch Hunts, the Hoaxes, and the People Who Have Never Been Met.

That’s by design.  Meanwhile Trump and his loyal actors under the hood chewing up all the wires to the engine.  We’re well past the point of even remotely joking about this.

24 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

But only large corporate farms. The small American farmer is still bankrupted and commiting suicide at unprecedented rates. 

Having so many uneducated and ignorant people in this country means they eventually start inventing their own brand of "education" consisting of pure idiocy that then propagates through the ignorant masses in social media. It's how you get stuff like flat earth theory. It's also how the population is easily fooled into thinking trump and republicans are on their side when in actuality Bernie Sanders is the candidate who would seem to be most on their side. 

You. Aren't. Kidding.

I was having shower thoughts this morning (where the water is nice and warm and you forget you've been standing there letting money go down the drain?) Anyway, I had the sudden scared realization about how so very very much institutional culture and memory is being swept out the door in DC and across America. I get it, some folks believe that is a good thing, but it isn't really. The expertise, the knowledge, the protocol of democratic institutions such as how does one take the Constitution and put it into practice are being tossed out like yesterday's fish wrapper. The best leaders know how to keep what is best practices while listening to a variety of sources with respect to what new strategies must be implemented.

Instead we have people out at the Departments such as NOAA, USDA, EPA, and most urgently of late: the CDC. When sh*t hits the fan, and it always does, the upper most strata have resources and will avoid any consequences per usual.

But my Lord in high heaven, we are one (select from the following options)___________________ from complete collapse of services from which we do not easily rebuild.

a) Natural disaster such as earthquake in California; Hurricane in Gulf Coast or Eastern Seaboard; Tornado in Atlanta (used to be rare, but no longer) or Dallas or other large metropolis; epic flooding in the South or Upper Midwest; fires.

b) Pandemic

c) Infrastructure collapse caused by decaying bridges, dams, and roads

d) Power grid failure due to foreign agents

e) All of the Above plus anything I forgot before I finished shampooing.

Edit to add- you read my mind @triplehorn

Edit to add #2 I left off terrorist attacks. I can't believe I did that.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Addition
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Is there a glossary for the scorecard? 

I can never remember what qualifies as a hoax, versus fake, versus witch hunt.  It's all very confusing.

You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man.

Shameful, isn't it? It's a disgrace. So unfair. Like the world has never seen before. 

42 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

spacer.png