Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed Osama bin Laden.

Edmund Burke, the Irish statesman and philosopher, once said: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Over the course of the past three years, I have watched good men and women, friends of mine, come and go in the Trump administration — all trying to do something — all trying to do their best. Jim Mattis, John Kelly, H.R. McMaster, Sue Gordon, Dan Coats and, now, Joe Maguire, who until this week was the acting director of national intelligence.

I have known Joe for more than 40 years. There is no better officer, no better man and no greater patriot. He served for 36 years as a Navy SEAL. In 2004, he was promoted to the rank of rear admiral and was chosen to command all of Naval Special Warfare, including the SEALs. Those were dark days for the SEALs. Our combat losses from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were the highest in our history, and Joe and his wife, Kathy, attended every SEAL funeral, providing comfort and solace to the families of the fallen.

But it didn’t stop there. Not a day went by that the Maguires didn’t reach out to some Gold Star family, some wounded SEAL, some struggling warrior. Every loss was personal, every family precious. When Joe retired in 2010, he tried the corporate world. But his passion for the Special Operations soldiers was so deep that he left a lucrative job and took the position as the president of the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, a charity that pays for educating the children of fallen warriors.

In 2018, Joe was asked to be the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, a job he knew well from his last assignment as a vice admiral. He accepted, but within months of his arrival came the announcement of Coats’s departure as director of national intelligence. Maguire didn’t seek to fill the job; he was asked to do it by the president. At first he declined, suggesting that Sue Gordon, Coats’s deputy, would be better suited for the job.

But the president chose Maguire. And, like most of these good men and women, he came in with the intent to do his very best, to follow the rules, to follow the law and to follow what was morally right. Within a few weeks of taking the assignment, he found himself embroiled in the Ukraine whistleblower case. Joe told the White House that, if asked, he would testify, and he would tell the truth. He did. In short order, he earned the respect of the entire intelligence community. They knew a good man was at the helm. A man they could count on, a man who would back them, a man whose integrity was more important than his future employment.

But, of course, in this administration, good men and women don’t last long. Joe was dismissed for doing his job: overseeing the dissemination of intelligence to elected officials who needed that information to do their jobs.

As Americans, we should be frightened — deeply afraid for the future of the nation. When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when presidential ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil.

Can we get a link to this article?

I'd like to keep it handy so I can shove this in the face of any Trump supporter I come across who pretends to love our country.

TIA

• Like 3

But remember, according to our resident Bernie fans, Trump's just a passing fad, and the REAL threat to democracy is [checks notes] Michael Bloomberg.

I find it interesting that the most ardent Bros never seem to post in the threads where the most heinous aspects of the current administration are discussed.

They direct more hatred and vitriol for who those who are allied with them 75% rather than an actual authoritarian.

I wonder why that is?
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed Osama bin Laden.

Edmund Burke, the Irish statesman and philosopher, once said: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Over the course of the past three years, I have watched good men and women, friends of mine, come and go in the Trump administration — all trying to do something — all trying to do their best. Jim Mattis, John Kelly, H.R. McMaster, Sue Gordon, Dan Coats and, now, Joe Maguire, who until this week was the acting director of national intelligence.

I have known Joe for more than 40 years. There is no better officer, no better man and no greater patriot. He served for 36 years as a Navy SEAL. In 2004, he was promoted to the rank of rear admiral and was chosen to command all of Naval Special Warfare, including the SEALs. Those were dark days for the SEALs. Our combat losses from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were the highest in our history, and Joe and his wife, Kathy, attended every SEAL funeral, providing comfort and solace to the families of the fallen.

But it didn’t stop there. Not a day went by that the Maguires didn’t reach out to some Gold Star family, some wounded SEAL, some struggling warrior. Every loss was personal, every family precious. When Joe retired in 2010, he tried the corporate world. But his passion for the Special Operations soldiers was so deep that he left a lucrative job and took the position as the president of the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, a charity that pays for educating the children of fallen warriors.

In 2018, Joe was asked to be the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, a job he knew well from his last assignment as a vice admiral. He accepted, but within months of his arrival came the announcement of Coats’s departure as director of national intelligence. Maguire didn’t seek to fill the job; he was asked to do it by the president. At first he declined, suggesting that Sue Gordon, Coats’s deputy, would be better suited for the job.

But the president chose Maguire. And, like most of these good men and women, he came in with the intent to do his very best, to follow the rules, to follow the law and to follow what was morally right. Within a few weeks of taking the assignment, he found himself embroiled in the Ukraine whistleblower case. Joe told the White House that, if asked, he would testify, and he would tell the truth. He did. In short order, he earned the respect of the entire intelligence community. They knew a good man was at the helm. A man they could count on, a man who would back them, a man whose integrity was more important than his future employment.

But, of course, in this administration, good men and women don’t last long. Joe was dismissed for doing his job: overseeing the dissemination of intelligence to elected officials who needed that information to do their jobs.

As Americans, we should be frightened — deeply afraid for the future of the nation. When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when presidential ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil.

Just forwarded this to John Cornyn

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But remember, according to our resident Bernie fans, Trump's just a passing fad, and the REAL threat to democracy is [checks notes] Michael Bloomberg.

Yep.  Can’t take BT seriously when he thinks Bloomberg is a bigger threat than kids in cages Dotard. 

lol, ‘taking BT seriously’.  Does anyone do that?  

<stupid question amnesty please>

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I find it interesting that the most ardent Bros never seem to post in the threads where the most heinous aspects of the current administration are discussed.

They direct more hatred and vitriol for who those who are allied with them 75% rather than an actual authoritarian.

I wonder why that is?

I really do wonder.  Are they stupid?  Or are they truly a cult of personality like the trumptards, just on the other end of the political spectrum?  

So, also stupid, but you get the point. 

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I wonder why that is?

definitely a thought i've had a few times.

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I wonder why that is?

Because there is no fucking point. Railing about the shit Trump does every fucking day defines masochistic lunacy, because there is not a got-damn thing to be done about it...except find a candidate who can evict him from office. Who we believe is Bernie. You might be Warren, Biden, Amy, Pete. Fine. But tying yourself in knots over the latest Trump outrage is a waste of time and psychic energy.

• Like 1

After returning from Las Vegas, the President has no public events scheduled for today. He will need to rest as he will be heading to India soon. In addition the the First Lady, he is taking along quite a few of his most loyal Trumpiots:

* Ambassador Ken Juster, the United States Ambassador to of India
* Secretary Wilbur Ross, of Commerce Department
* Secretary Dan Brouillette, of the Energy Department
* Mick Mulvaney, Assistant to the President and Acting Chief of Staff
* National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien
* Ivanka Trump, Assistant to the President and Advisor to the President Guess Ivanka will be taking care of Dad instead of Hope Hicks
* Jared Kushner, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor to the President Corruption Inc is going along for the ride?
* Stephen Miller, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor for Policy Honeymooning in India? Don't they have brown people there?
* Dan Scavino, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor for Digital Strategy Gotta get those tweets in, plus exploring digital election interference possibilities?
* Lindsay Reynolds, Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff to the First Lady
* Robert Blair, Assistant to the President and Special Representative for International Telecommunication Policy and Senior Advisor to the Chief of Staff

And the final member of the official delegation is:
* Stephanie Grisham, Assistant to the President and Press Secretary and Director of Communications for the President and First Lady

Some others are included but not part of the official delegation:

* Adam Boehler, Chief Executive Officer of the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation
* Ajit Pai, Chairman of the FCC
* Lisa Curtis, Deputy Assistant to the President for South and Central Asian Affairs
* Mr. Kash Patel, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Counterterrorism
* And finally, Mr. Mike Passey, Director for India, National Security Council

It will be a stressful week. Flying to India, meetings, flying back from India and then another rally. Leading into super Tuesday it's going to be crazy.

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No it wasn't. On so many levels. It was cool and he sounded good but it was one line. Starting Amazing Grace at the funeral service at the site of the Charleston church shooting was one of the most powerful things I've ever seen. I couldn't have been more proud of the President that day. That took guts. He didn't hit all the notes but he stood there and led the congregation, singing into the microphone for all to hear. That was some heavy shit, man. 

Let’s flip this around from the usual ‘imagine if Obama did that’ to ‘can you imagine Trump singing Amazing Grace?’   Or appearing on Between Two Ferns?

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Let’s flip this around from the usual ‘imagine if Obama did that’ to ‘can you imagine Trump singing Amazing Grace?’   Or appearing on Between Two Ferns?

Yeah, Trump is a narcissistic sociopath incapable of feeling empathy.  He has a unique way of dealing with tragedy. 

EBhXUGdXYAESAtu?format=jpg&name=900x900

7ac08e229987acf3a35ce17a16a7a08b.jpg

• Like 3

After returning from Las Vegas, the President has no public events scheduled for today. He will need to rest as he will be heading to India soon. In addition the the First Lady, he is taking along quite a few of his most loyal Trumpiots:
* Ivanka Trump, Assistant to the President and Advisor to the President Guess Ivanka will be taking care of Dad instead of Hope Hicks
* Jared Kushner, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor to the President Corruption Inc is going along for the ride?
* Stephen Miller, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor for Policy Honeymooning in India? Don't they have brown people there?
* Dan Scavino, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor for Digital Strategy Gotta get those tweets in, plus exploring digital election interference possibilities?
* Lindsay Reynolds, Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff to the First Lady
* Robert Blair, Assistant to the President and Special Representative for International Telecommunication Policy and Senior Advisor to the Chief of Staff

* Stephanie Grisham, Assistant to the President and Press Secretary and Director of Communications for the President and First Lady
* Adam Boehler, Chief Executive Officer of the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation
* Lisa Curtis, Deputy Assistant to the President for South and Central Asian Affairs
* Mr. Kash Patel, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Counterterrorism

It will be a stressful week. Flying to India, meetings, flying back from India and then another rally. Leading into super Tuesday it's going to be crazy.

Can this entire fucking group of pricks contract coronavirus while abroad? Ban their entry upon return.

Fuck em.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Fully expecting a Tweet about how happy he is spending time with real Indians, not fake ones like Elizabeth Warren.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

How much can the President influence general promotion? Seems like politicizing the military would be the next step in his authoritarian takeover. 

That's a scary thought. I've never considered that. I have no idea. I'd hope there would be safeguards against politicizing the military but we're in new territory now. 

16 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I really do wonder.  Are they stupid?  Or are they truly a cult of personality like the trumptards, just on the other end of the political spectrum?  

So, also stupid, but you get the point. 

Their use of “centrist” in the same way a trumptard uses “liberal” is all you need to know.

Edited by Goredho

What is there to say. He fucking sucks. Is this news? I need to come say it everyday? Check in on the thread from time to time when I feel like punishing myself. We are looking to the future. You know something that will actually make a difference.

19 hours ago, jw4381 said:

can a person be a Bernie supporter and not be a bro?

Sorry jw not possible. Don’t let them fool you. Say a few positive words around here and find out. It’s cool tho. They’ll all be Bros soon enough.