Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

26 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I think you're right. 

Or more likely they are banking on their own survival of it, and richer for it.  Probably already have private hospital ICU rooms set up on retainer somewhere, or even in their homes.  When it's all over, they walk out fine, with more elbow room, considering the loss of millions of Americans.  Then they can take their increased wealth and buy up even more shit during the ensuing chaos.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Or more likely they are banking on their own survival of it, and richer for it.  Probably already have private hospital ICU rooms set up on retainer somewhere, or even in their homes.  When it's all over, they walk out fine, with more elbow room, considering the loss of millions of Americans.  Then they can take their increased wealth and buy up even more shit during the ensuing chaos.

Yep.  Until they get the Mussolini treatment.  Which is better than they deserve.

This is going to be a lot of naivete on my part, but could the governors ring each other up conference call style and agree to coop with each other to purchase? It is probably insane and I know they have party affiliations, but if at least five or six like NY, Cali, etc band together could they block purchase supplies and share them out as needed? Normally that is what the Fed would do, but these are not normal feds we're dealing with and I thought one of you had even posted that the Feds were swooping in and outbidding states for supplies--which makes total sense that Trump and Co would do this.

A Western States Coop agreement might get Cali/Wash/Oregon etc some leverage to work with. Or am I missing a large piece of understanding how these things work?

21 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is going to be a lot of naivete on my part, but could the governors ring each other up conference call style and agree to coop with each other to purchase? It is probably insane and I know they have party affiliations, but if at least five or six like NY, Cali, etc band together could they block purchase supplies and share them out as needed? Normally that is what the Fed would do, but these are not normal feds we're dealing with and I thought one of you had even posted that the Feds were swooping in and outbidding states for supplies--which makes total sense that Trump and Co would do this.

A Western States Coop agreement might get Cali/Wash/Oregon etc some leverage to work with. Or am I missing a large piece of understanding how these things work?

They could.  And we could call it the United States.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Look, I love bagging on this guy more than most of you.  And I think it's been cathartic and I think I've been quite pithy in doing so.  But I hope this latest exercise in futility in his part makes some of you appreciate more the sovereign authority and existence of a State.  An American State, whichever color to you, has a right to conduct their affairs on behalf of their citizens as they see fit.  Obviously there is a time for federal influence, obviously there is a time for federal deference.  But a single, solitary U.S. State means something.  And as of now, I hope they work together in whichever coalitions make the most sense to combat the virus and deal with the sick and scared.  Not all confederacies are bad, From Seattle to San Diego, let them work together as they see fit, relying on federal assistance only when necessary.  From San Antonio to Rapid City, let's have a plan and a coalition.  Let Milwaukee to Pittsburgh work their way.  The backbone should be the CDC, NIH, FEMA, the Treasury, and the Fed.  But the ground deployment in both preventative and post...should be at the state level.  States matter.  And if one state wants to act like a total fucking dipshit...well...you walk the path you laid.  

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's absolutely fucking ridiculous and asinine that it has to come to this. 

The Federal govt needs to be doing this. But they won't, because Trump sees this as his chance to blame all the governors for this mess. Of course, he'll only call out the blue ones. 

This is a clown show. If a business was run this way the shareholders would be meeting over the weekend to oust the CEO. 

So is the plan to rob the Treasury, blow up the bank, and escape out of town before the election? 

Paul Newman and Robert Redford had a lot more panache. These guys are just mobsters. 
They don't even have to outright take the money. They can just use it to score political and monetary favors after the election. Regardless of the result, it's a win win.

It's jarring to watch Trump after watching one of the state press conferences led by the respective governors.

I am not an Abbott fanboy, but his approach and demeanor is a breath of fresh air after watching days of Trump fling feces against the walls. 

Trump makes mild, general competence look like brilliant genius. That's how terrible he is. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If this gets voted down - and in its current form I'm ok with shooting it down, it might be like when TARP first got denied.  Markets loved that.

We can just save everyone time and start the markets at zero.  Trump can brag about the infinite growth in Nov when the S&P is at 2000 and a million of his voters are dead.  

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

How much more of our money are we gonna let them steal?  If Trump wants the states to handle this, then the states should be able to stop the collection of federal taxes under declaration of emergency.  I pay a shitload to the federal gov't and only a small amount to NY state. I would happily reverse that for the 2019 and 2020 tax year if NY has to fly solo on this. 

I guess the old GOP is gonna end up getting what they want after all. States rights leading to the dissolution of the union because you can't be a functional nation when states are more important than the nation itself.   You certainly can't be a functional nation when you pretend states are more important, but take their money while preventing them from doing anything. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

He doesn't have time to watch TV.

In another life he's a TV critic and in that one we have a president providing stable and reassuring leadership. In this one we get a narcissistic manchild begging for attention while people are dying due to his inaction. 

EVERY LAST ONE of you cultists own a share in what is happening. 

Edited by UpperWestside

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

It's jarring to watch Trump after watching one of the state press conferences led by the respective governors.

I am not an Abbott fanboy, but his approach and demeanor is a breath of fresh air after watching days of Trump fling feces against the walls. 

Trump makes mild, general competence look like brilliant genius. That's how terrible he is. 

Yep. Was watching Cuomo the other day was like, so that's what leadership looks like. 

Trump's words and omissions in early 2020 will go down as some of the worst leadership in the country's history. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Are we at 0 cases yet? I feel like that's taking longer than expected.

Actually, once we all die from this, I guess technically we will be at 0 cases. 

We won’t all die.  That cockroach MF will still be here to yell at the clouds.  His personal hell will be living forever.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is important.  People forget this.

Your state prides itself on its low state taxes. My state has higher taxes, but they are earmarked directly for other things. In spite of the disparity between states, both you and I pay 10x more tax to the USA than we pay to our states and localities.  I have no doubt that we could magically fully fund WW3 against China and Russia at 1000x the cost we may have to pay for coronavirus.  If the USA can't step up and fund this for Americans, then we really don't need a USA anymore. If states are important, then let them be important. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 3