Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

it's exactly this.

i've wondered what this would look like if it somehow happened in year 5 or 6 of a trump presidency when reelection wasn't an issue.  then i wake up in a cold sweat and take some deep breaths.

This could very well be a reality.

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That's a reason.  I don't think he's that worried about that because he will bail his spots out....I'd argue a bigger reason is the countdown to November.  He realizes he's losing time for the economy to recover.  And if it doesn't recover...he's toast. 

I'm going to be the pessimist here; I just don't see it recovering at all this year.

Case in point.  I don't believe we will be watching college football this fall, at least in person.  Forgetting what that means for athletic budgets, etc...how can any school, any conference, anyone advocate putting 80,000 in a stadium without a vaccine for this thing is eyebrow raising.

That's just one example, of the countless ones available.  Without a vaccine, how do you restart certain parts of society safely?

• Like 1

I believe most of us here thought this election cycle was going to be wild, but holy hell we haven't even made it to April and we're already waist deep in crazytown. I am not even going to try and imagine what is in store for all of us going forward because of this lunatic and his pursuit of money and never ending need for any kind of attention he can get. Future generations are going to have a very hard time comprehending just how ridiculously insane this time period was and we haven't even gotten to the craziest stuff yet.

Look, stop jumping to conclusions. There’s still plenty of time left in his administration to also push the nuclear button, eliminating a future for everyone.

Anyone who thinks the economy will recover by November is a fool. We’ve seen this rodeo before, only just not quite nearly this bad. If we recover next year it will be a miracle.

They are only telling y’all that to speed up the recovery of spending by the American consumer and to give you false hope. Many will believe it, so it does kind of work, in a sense.

White man’s burden Lloyd my man. White man’s burden.

Edited by JimmyJames

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That's just one example, of the countless ones available.  Without a vaccine, how do you restart certain parts of society safely?

anyone who points out the 1918 flu getting better during warm weather can also tell you what happened that fall/winter.

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

anyone who points out the 1918 flu getting better during warm weather can also tell you what happened that fall/winter.

This is very true and will be a concern. But unlike the economy, which will still suck then, I think by the fall we can at least neutralize the virus somewhat. At least some of us are smarter than we were collectively in 1918.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Let’s just hope it slows down in the summer. Because if it doesn’t, were in a world of pain.

Wife and I had a talk just after dinner; we are planning on going to Disneyworld in June, and Vegas in July.  I told her the first week of March to be thinking about the possibility we couldn't go on either trip; and now, less than a month later, it's looking far more likely they aren't happening.  We are keeping the reservations for now, but deep down, she knows we aren't going to be able to go. How would Disney ensure that a pandemic isn't sweeping through the Magic Kingdom by June or July?  They can't, unless everyone gets tested as they walk up to the entrance with instantaneous results.

If this can slow down enough to have somewhat of a normal life during the summer, then I'm thinking that's a best case scenario. Those parts of the world that rely on tourists probably are going to have some dark times. 

I missed the daily brief today and it’s just as well. Sometimes the real world just keeps hasslin’ me. 
For all of that, I have to thank those Americans who still have the ability to laugh during the maelstrom.

Google #StupidWHBriefingQuestions 

and enjoy some rather inventive and humorous compilations. Some are a little lame but this was a good one:

“Have we tried turning the Executive Branch off and on again?“

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I’m all for the quarantine being lifted for MAGA hate rallies and whites only southern evangelical prayer congregations. Just as long as they don’t commiserate with anybody else and stick to their own.

Its God’s will.

When people said Donald Trump would kill the Republican party I didn't know they meant literally.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm going to be the pessimist here; I just don't see it recovering at all this year.

Case in point.  I don't believe we will be watching college football this fall, at least in person.  Forgetting what that means for athletic budgets, etc...how can any school, any conference, anyone advocate putting 80,000 in a stadium without a vaccine for this thing is eyebrow raising.

Aggy will schedule Liberty for all 12 weeks instead of just 1?

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I’m worried about a double dip. Sharp recovery without enough prevention and the US sees a second wave of infections causing a second recession before fully exiting the first one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Anyone who thinks the economy will recover by November is a fool. We’ve seen this rodeo before, only just not quite nearly this bad. If we recover next year it will be a miracle.

They are only telling y’all that to speed up the recovery of spending by the American consumer and to give you false hope. Many will believe it, so it does kind of work, in a sense.

White man’s burden Lloyd my man. White man’s burden.

What is your definition of a recovery?  Back to what the employment, stock market, inflation was in Jan 2020?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I missed the daily brief today and it’s just as well. Sometimes the real world just keeps hasslin’ me. 

it was very short and fairly uneventful.  fauci was back, and about 5-6 people spoke briefly.  trump muttered about some areas of the country that are magically not as affected (mostly small town/rural areas, shocking, i know).  then right when they were done, he was like, "ok, thank you" and walked off.  i'm not even sure they took any questions.

although it's possible the whole thing went on for another 90 minutes on oan or some shit.

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it was very short and fairly uneventful.  fauci was back, and about 5-6 people spoke briefly.  trump muttered about some areas of the country that are magically not as affected (mostly small town/rural areas, shocking, i know).  then right when they were done, he was like, "ok, thank you" and walked off.  i'm not even sure they took any questions.

although it's possible the whole thing went on for another 90 minutes on oan or some shit.

Thanks for the update; I've just learned that there is a YouTube channel that has the doctors on the Task Force doing vlogs on the daily so I may end up going there for updates. I used to follow the transcripts of Trump rallies, but having a rally every day is depressing....

I'm glad Mitt Romney doesn't have the virus, can the rest of us get tested now?

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Even if there is no actual inside information, this is probably still true. No money for him or his family in the bill passed last night. 

These are great - probably someone who works in the WH like in the kitchen or in housekeeping. 

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Better idea, then fire-bomb it. 

On a serious note, that would be an outstanding optical for Trump.  He could offer up his real estate, whatever vacancies he has, to NYC for use (have no idea if that is practical at all).

Yes, he's a piece of shit, but the goodwill from that alone might offset some of his coarser instincts.  Of course, he won't do such a thing.

Getting ready to tell my grandmother that it might be time for her to enter the eternal slumber so we can get back to Applebee's and cruise ships where pasty, overweight morons can do karaoke and have shrimp cocktail diahrrea for two weeks. God bless the USA.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Getting ready to tell my grandmother that it might be time for her to enter the eternal slumber so we can get back to Applebee's and cruise ships where pasty, overweight morons can do karaoke and have shrimp cocktail diahrrea for two weeks. God bless the USA.

Grandma's being selfish. She should have already volunteered. 

5 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Grandma's being selfish. She should have already volunteered. 

Exactly. And what did the approximately 90- year-old generation of today ever do for us? What sacrifice did they make? I once had to put my phone down to hear her prattle on about the personalized Christmas stockings she made for everybody with needlepoint. Finally had to put my palm an inch from her face and say "Enough. From. You!"

Oh, and Grandpa Gandy, can you shut that sewer under your nose? We're trying to watch 'Saving Private Ryan!'

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Can somebody elaborate on this for me? Explain it to me like I'm 5 years old an old. Thanks.

an earlier "draft" of the bill had a $500bb fund, many called a "slush fund" that the govt could hand out to corporations hurt by the pandemic as they saw fit.  there was no oversight, and the reporting of who got what money had a 6 month delay on it (meaning it could be ~election day before we knew, and that's if they filed the info on time).  in the presser a few days ago, when asked how the oversight would work, trump literally said, "me, i'm the oversight."  this of course led everyone to assume that slush fund would be funneled to trump's own hotel properties, as well as cronies and people who were helping in his reelection campaign.

the newer version of the bill that passed late last night appoints an inspector general and a 5 person committee to oversee this fund, and instant/transparent reporting of where the money is going.  further, there's a stipulation in the bill that nobody in govt can benefit from these bailouts - which includes companies they're involved in, and their kids/families are involved in.

trump and anyone looking to make a score out of this just got a big fucking heisman hand to their plans.

anyone is free to add, but that's the gist as far as i understand it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

an earlier "draft" of the bill had a $500bb fund, many called a "slush fund" that the govt could hand out to corporations hurt by the pandemic as they saw fit.  there was no oversight, and the reporting of who got what money had a 6 month delay on it (meaning it could be ~election day before we knew, and that's if they filed the info on time).  in the presser a few days ago, when asked how the oversight would work, trump literally said, "me, i'm the oversight."  this of course led everyone to assume that slush fund would be funneled to trump's own hotel properties, as well as cronies and people who were helping in his reelection campaign.

the newer version of the bill that passed late last night appoints an inspector general and a 5 person committee to oversee this fund, and instant/transparent reporting of where the money is going.  further, there's a stipulation in the bill that nobody in govt can benefit from these bailouts - which includes companies they're involved in, and their kids/families are involved in.

trump and anyone looking to make a score out of this just got a big fucking heisman hand to their plans.

The problem is that Trump is above the law and owns the Departmebt of Justice. Who's going to punish him if he decides to skim something off the top? Hell, he's probably consulting with Putin right now on how best to go about it. 

• Like 1

Also had the end of ww1 to help the recovery from the spanish flu

Correct on the added oversight, similar to the oversight provided for tarp. The Republican slush fund concept was unprecedented, am glad it was rolled back. Of course, if Trump wants to misuse the fund, Barr and his team will enable him.

Edited by pacman

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

It took a pandemic, but Congress appears to be growing some balls.  Better late than never.