Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Put site workers in N95 masks and or protective clothing. Steel, asphalt and concrete don't require close contact in manufacture and delivery. A serious infrastructure spike wouldn't be a bad thing if they actually do it and Trump doesn't grift it all away. Country needs an overhaul and a new coat of paint.

I agree as to the need. I even started the infrastructure week thread on here like 2 or 3 years ago. Only part of Trump's campaign platform I liked.  But like any of Trump's other promises, it ain't happening unless he directly profits from it or it directly injures minorities. 

There's zero chance that an infrastructure bill isn't at least 75% grift. Maybe if the House writes it, it would work, but the Senate would never pass a House infrastructure bill.  They'd write a grifting Senate bill and Fox would attack Pelosi about "withholding jobs from Americans."  So we will end up paying a 5x markup for a handful of small projects in red states only. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Remember when the tea party (the worst thing to ever happen to American politics) was formed because of the $800 mil economic stimulus ?

which worked. I remember

Yes, I am related to a very vocal Republican/Tea Partyier who was ready to march on Washington D.C. when that happened.  He doesn't seem to mind when Republicans run up massive debt for some reason but cries about entitlements to the poors (which his family relies upon).

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

the article about that prep session was enlightening.  (i'm sure someone can dig it up).

basically the obama administration modeled their transition directives based on the w bush transition, because they were apparently terrific.  so obama's people always knew they would try their best to match it.  so the day that they handled the pandemic response (3-4 hours i think), nobody on the trump team took them seriously at all.

it was a combination of dept heads sending lower people instead of attending, the people who did attend were in and out a lot, concentrating on other things, and the folks that did attend were not govt types, and were just out of their realm.  and that's not considering probably the worst part of all of this - pretty much none of the people in the trump admin back then (whether they attended or not, or paid attention or not) were still working for the administration in 2020.

for about nine different reasons, that session might as well have not taken place at all.

further, if obama was so terrible, and trump was aware of this, you would think one of the first things you'd do in early 2017 was to take a look at all the departments obama fucked up, and rebuild them to perfection.  instead, trump did the literal opposite.  he took departments obama built and tore them down.  i guess "rebuilding" is part of infrastructure week, which is sometime in late 2023.

regardless of what happened in 2009 or 2016, they were warned several times by folks on both sides of the aisle between 2016-2019.  then they were warned several times in january and february.  they were warned enough to restrict certain travel in january.  they took it seriously enough to send 17 tons of equipment to china in february.  yet still didn't act in any meaningful way until march, 2020.

those of us who live through this, will not forget that fact. 

The Vanity Fair article about the DOE that came out in I believe 2017 should be bookmarked for posterity in all history books.  It was terrifying and exactly the same as what you described above.  That article alone should have sent alarm bells screeching.  Now we reap it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The Vanity Fair article about the DOE that came out in I believe 2017 should be bookmarked for posterity in all history books.  It was terrifying and exactly the same as what you described above.  That article alone should have sent alarm bells screeching.  Now we reap it.

yep.  This is one of those articles where if even half of it is true, it's still terrifying.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

41 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dr Scott Gottlieb, whose tweets I have seen posted on this site with respect to COVID-19, was FDA Commissioner for Trump for two years (17-19). He was on the transition team in 2016. I haven't gone back that far to see if he scrubbed his tweets, but it wouldn't surprise me. He was somewhat respected as being better at bipartisan alliances, but he is very close to the public/private revolving door, IMO. If anyone has other info, I'd be happy to learn more.

Any reporter, please:

According to reports here, your administration has been slow to send supplies to New York and Maryland, both of whom have open investigations into the illegal practices of you and your son-in-law. Meanwhile, Florida has received all they asked for and more while summarily dropping a cases against Trump U, and you hired the acting AG at the time for your staff. Are these coincidences?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

yep.  This is one of those articles where if even half of it is true, it's still terrifying.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

Ha... Wow:

How to stop a virus, how to take a census, how to determine if some foreign country is seeking to obtain a nuclear weapon or if North Korean missiles can reach Kansas City: these are enduring technical problems.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

So easily manipulated. Guaranteed Ackman took a position that would benefit from a big infrastructure bill before tweeting that out. Easy money.

infrastructure has about 0% chance of being passed during this administration. i used to work in infrastructure focused M&A and know most bankers in the space and that is their view at this time...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Yes, I am related to a very vocal Republican/Tea Partyier who was ready to march on Washington D.C. when that happened.  He doesn't seem to mind when Republicans run up massive debt for some reason but cries about entitlements to the poors (which his family relies upon).

It started with Karl Rove and continues to this day. The true genius of the GOP is to get the poor, non-college educated fucktards of this country to vote against their own best interests.

An election rolls around, the GOP candidates beat the drum about, "Abortion! Family Values! Gay Marriage is a sin!" and then they get elected and do nothing material about those issues. Meanwhile, they constantly screw over their base. We all know (and likely are related to) many straight-ballot Republicans who would benefit HUGE from M4A. They just can't help themselves. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

they're also trying to walk the tightrope of "past administrations dropped the ball" and "well, nobody could've seen this coming".  which is it, fucko?

To his cult members it is both. These conflicting messages are not meant for anyone capable of having rational thoughts. It's for the people who can't count to potato. He has to keep feeding them a steady stream of things to be angry about and saying both of those things, however conflicted and mind-bendingly stupid they are, will do the trick. 

• Like 2

History repeats itself. W Bush admin demoting Richard Clarke and downplaying Al-Qaeda threats.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

How in the heck does that get 90K  'Likes?' Bots?

Thank heavens there is someone who does twitter sooooo much better:

obama tweeted out the "flatten the curve" graph at least 2-3 weeks ago.  that was when i first read about it.  now they're showcasing it at their press briefing like they just made it up.

although i'm watching on mute, so maybe they're giving obama (and others) credit for pointing it out back when trump was still calling this a hoax.

goodfellas GIF 

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

It started with Karl Rove and continues to this day. The true genius of the GOP is to get the poor, non-college educated fucktards of this country to vote against their own best interests.

An election rolls around, the GOP candidates beat the drum about, "Abortion! Family Values! Gay Marriage is a sin!" and then they get elected and do nothing material about those issues. Meanwhile, they constantly screw over their base. We all know (and likely are related to) many straight-ballot Republicans who would benefit HUGE from M4A. They just can't help themselves. 

It started with Reagan and continues on to this day. Hell one could argue it started with Nixon and continues on to this day. 

saw this in the comment section:

Trump held rallies on:
—Jan 9th
—Jan 14th
—Jan 28th
—Jan 30th
—Feb 10th
—Feb 19th
—Feb 20th
—Feb 21st
—Feb 28th

He golfed on:
—Jan 18th
—Jan 19th
—Feb 1st
—Feb 15th
—Mar 7th
—Mar 8th

but the impeachment  trial.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It just honestly doesn't matter. He can say he never said it and that this is just more "Fake News" and the cultists will believe even with evidence right in front of their face that he is lying to them. Dotard is operating like an authoritarian with them and they like it. Once these folks went all-in on his stupidity and lies there was no bringing them back. 

• Like 1

Does he actually have it?  I have not seen him act appropriate...ever.  He actually seems somewhat serious and scared - as in appropriate.  He has a low bar but wtf is going on...I thought him having it was a joke but I have no way of explaining his sudden concern. 

Does he actually have it?  I have not seen him act appropriate...ever.  He actually seems somewhat serious and scared - as in appropriate.  He has a low bar but wtf is going on...I thought him having it was a joke but I have no way of explaining his sudden concern. 

Maybe something to do with a million old people (his voters) dying. And possibly himself.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Maybe something to do with a million old people (his voters) dying. And possibly himself.

Even if his voters are dying...nothing really registers with his dumb ass, unless it's actually him being very directly hit.  Anyone with a brain knows, if your voters are dying that's a problem for you.  But Trump?  I really don't buy that registering with his smooth, dense brain.  So, I'll buy the second part.  

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He said a friend of his has it and is in a coma. 

9 hours ago, JFKFC said:

and then they get elected and do nothing material about those issues

Republicans owned all branches to start his presidency, but sat on their hands as you stated

no movement on repealing Obamacare, no policy to replace it

barely started a wall, took from the military budget to pay for it (while we are stretched across the world in conflicts)

he promised to eliminate national debt, ha!

the list, predictably goes on..

Edited by pacman
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think his internal polling is starting to show symptoms of the coronavirus.

Seriously though, I think that maybe the truth / impact of this is actually starting to osmose into his thick skull.

Stages of Trump’s response:

1.) Oblivious to the threat of a pandemic. Only worried about re-election and preoccupied with impeachment and watching Fox News to the point that he has no capacity to process any other information 

2.) Complete denial that this is a problem and only a cold. 

3.) It’s a Chinese problem and that the US will actually benefit with Chinese getting hammered. If I close the borders, I’ve solved the problem.

4.) It’s here but not a problem because it’s only in heavily blue states

5.) If I close down the economy for 2 weeks, it’ll be over and I’ll look like a hero.

6.). Regrets closure immediately as the market plummets. Let’s open up and let this this run its course

7.) Keeps closure but doesn’t want to.

8.) Sees that red states / swing states can get it

9.) Now thinks its a problem.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

This doesnt absolve Trump of any blame, but guys like Pence, Miller, Pompeo, Kushner, etc need to fucking burn just as much as Trump when this is all over.  This shit needs to be hung around the necks of all the senate and house dipshits that white-knighted for the president during the impeachment as well.  

Absolutely and this extends to the beginning of his presidency.  We cannot forget the complete criminality of the entire party and his sycophants throughout.  No quarter.

Look at Jared who thinks he is some kind of savant when it comes to the world's largest issues. @Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand had a good rundown of Jared IIRC that was spot on.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree with Jared anyway. His dad was a crook, Jared married into a crooked family, and they run the crooked lifestyle. You might have some respect if they were SPECTRE level masterminds, but no this is garden variety Scooby Doo villainy only we die at the end instead of singing with Daphne and Freddy and the gang.

• Like 3

You'd think after this many press conferences, he'd accidentally call for the nation to pray for our health and recovery.  But he can't even do that.  

Seriously Trumpkins, he doesn't even stumble into seeming Christian.  You can't even anecdotally find a suggestion he believes in your God.