Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

Cliff's notes: an aide or low level assistant to Joe died from a head injury late at the office one night. The best the investigators could come up with was that she had some condition that caused her to fall and hit her head. Joe barely even knew the lady, but it was a sensational theory that he was involved. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

UT System in the House!  Can't wait to hear the Trumpkins shit all over the testimony of these incredibly brilliant witnesses.  

9 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trump and the GOP seem to be going batshit crazy more often than normal right now.  "ObamaGate"? This is the shit they're pulling out in order to win?

Even though the election isn't until November, it feels like we are approaching the endgame.

I think rather than "endgame" you mean something more like "end stage," as in the progression of a disease, where it goes wild and affects the brain.

Good and lengthy article on Trumps long time accounting firm.  Not exactly hard hitting muck raking for the general public, but as a CPA, I found it interesting and pretty damn sleazy (the accounting history-not the article).  Other CPA's on the board who are actually still practicing should chime in.

https://www.dcreport.org/2020/05/06/meet-the-shadowy-accountants-who-do-trumps-taxes-and-help-him-seem-richer-than-he-is/

59 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The best of all worlds huh. Except all the dead people and tens of millions unemployed and ruined economy.

Yeah, but the stock market is (somehow) going strong and yachts can be gassed up cheaply.  And the dead people were pretty much all old poors anyway.  They were probably glad to go so they could stop being poor and go be with Jesus.  We're winning.  

Nobody wins like us.  Believe me.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Thomas and Alito trying to punt. I’m shocked. Shocked I say. 

We knew those two would. Kavanaugh seems on the fence. Having a hard time reading Gorsuch because his questions seem to go both ways. BUT if I had to put money on it, I’d guess 6-3 or 7-2

2 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Good and lengthy article on Trumps long time accounting firm.  Not exactly hard hitting muck raking for the general public, but as a CPA, I found it interesting and pretty damn sleazy (the accounting history-not the article).  Other CPA's on the board who are actually still practicing should chime in.

https://www.dcreport.org/2020/05/06/meet-the-shadowy-accountants-who-do-trumps-taxes-and-help-him-seem-richer-than-he-is/

Not a CPA, but is it significant that they aren't a "Big Six" firm (understanding that Big Six doesn't exist anymore and is no guarantee of ethics)?  I understand that they are internationally large and prominent, but a lot of times, an international firm will buy an insignificant, possibly shady or not very good small firm to get a foothold in the US market.  Seems that's the case here.

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:
I honestly can’t imagine Trump winning this case. It’s frankly an important one for Kavanaugh and Gorsuch to show independence and gain some credibility

I think they might define "credibility" a little bit differently than you and I do. 

You gotta give our Republic credit, it took Trump over 4 years (from the time he announced until now) to say put "Obama" and "Gate" together.  If you're a half-serious anti-Trumper, you would have had this on your senility bingo card back at the formation of the Mueller investigation.  Man, you guys are slipping big time.  I worry for you as much as I do for our nation.  

I think the explanation would be: "Trump couldn't possibly be that stu... oh."

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh.....you think those two are functioning Supreme Court Justices.  How adorable.

Speaking as a technology sales guy: Kavanaugh sounded like a CTO who wants to present the illusion of an open selection process while protecting a favored incumbent that takes special care of him. Gorsuch sounded like a an SVP-Ops who wants to be CEO someday, see change coming, and needs a realignment of resources to create the path. I'm not sure he breaks with Trump on either case, but of the two, he seem far more likely than Kavanaugh. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not a CPA, but is it significant that they aren't a "Big Six" firm (understanding that Big Six doesn't exist anymore and is no guarantee of ethics)?  I understand that they are internationally large and prominent, but a lot of times, an international firm will buy an insignificant, possibly shady or not very good small firm to get a foothold in the US market.  Seems that's the case here.

There were several business  purchases to get here and the article basically stated no "big six" firm would touch this.  What I found interesting were:

Trump being the largest client of some of the smaller firms, like >50%.

Trump lobbied for a deep discount on services for them to have Trump as a client...and unlike his father, pays slow.

In different iterations of the firm, there was always one guy who ended up being the bulldog for Trump, sort of a Roy Cohn of CPA's, who would take aggressive positions with the IRS.

On the other side, the firms have been issuing these make believe financial statements based only on the info Trump gave them which basically have no opinion on the the veracity of the statements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

CourtTV is carrying it. 

Clarence Thomas asked a question!

Thomas always said that he didn't ask questions because he didn't like to interrupt the advocate.  He says that other justices use it less for legitimate questioning than to try to persuade other justices, and he prefers to do that in conference and not out in the courtroom while an advocate is trying to argue.

Since the Court has gone to remote hearings, it has adopted a new process whereby the chief justice asks his questions and then goes down to each justice by seniority.  So now each justice gets a dedicated time to ask questions.  And with that format, Thomas has asked questions in every case.  Breyer was (surprisingly) the first justice to pass when he did so in a case yesterday.

So that indicates that Thomas was honestly stating the reluctance to ask questions.  But now that he's not interrupting the advocate--now that he has his own dedicated time--he has no problem asking questions.

• Like 5

Guest Lobo

Well, there's the old saying then.  When the law is on your side, argue the law.  When the facts are on your side, argue the facts.  When neither is on your side, just argue.  And if neither are on your side and Trump sent you there, get your final affairs in order.  You're about to be made "an example."  

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Ghost of LL - is he (Sekulow) arguing categorically that a local prosecutor cannot subpeona a sitting president, OR EVEN a custodian or agent of a sitting president? Or is there some nuance I'm missing?

That's how I'm hearing it, essentially any subpoena involving the president is a burden on the president because its his stuff.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My non-expert ear hears a smart guy working with bad facts. 

IMO His argument is way too extreme. It’s basically just “he’s the president”. I think there is room for better legal strategy and arguments (understatement)