Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

“The BMI have notified the Trump campaign on behalf of the Stones that the unauthorized use of their songs will constitute a breach of its licensing agreement,” the Rolling Stones rep added. “If Donald Trump disregards the exclusion and persists then he would face a lawsuit for breaking the embargo and playing music that has not been licensed.”

Oh yeah that's going to stop Trump.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So is every bad man doing God's will or just the one(s) she likes? Maybe he's just a piece of shit and not actually doing God's will. Unless she thinks putting kids in cages, ignoring a pandemic that's killing Americans by the tens of thousands, or turning the National Guard on peaceful protestors in order to clear the way for a photo op in front of a church he doesn't attend while holding a bible he's never read is "God's will."

Christians just LOVE to turn to the Old Testament when they want to justify their darker impulses. Heaven forbid she should consult the teachings of Jesus. Maybe she should revisit Matthew 25. 

I hear you and it's not defensible. It's a ridiculous illogical position but if an old is dug in that deep you have little chance of changing their mind.

In the end it's church leadership and Fox News, in no particular order.

12 minutes ago, Walser said:

I hear you and it's not defensible. It's a ridiculous illogical position but if an old is dug in that deep you have little chance of changing their mind.

In the end it's church leadership and Fox News, in no particular order.

Churches have made how much money and gained how much power by convincing people to believe what they're told, instead of what they see.

Why should you expect churchgoers to look at anything with a critical eye? Sure, some have been able to figure out a way to be both religious and reasonable, but I fear they make up a minority. 

Organized religion is an archaic concept that should have died centuries ago. But as we see all too often, it's hard to pull up power by the roots. 

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

American Christianity is obsessed with WORSHIPING Christ.....they have little interest in following him.  Christianity is not a faith, it's not a religion, it's a WAY.*  That way is following Christ, being His hands and feet on earth (Emmanuel, God is with us -- that is what we are called to be, God's hands and feet, creating the Kingdom here on Earth).  Christians should be working to be Christ-like, not ostentatious Christ idolators. 

Agree with the first bolded part 100% if we're talking about Evangelicals, who i no longer consider Christians.

The second bolded part is something I never heard in 18+ years of forced attendance at the First Baptist Church of Denton.  Yet once I started going to a Methodist church in Wimberley, it's something that I heard every week.  Another thing I never heard in the Baptist church but heard every week at WUMC -- God wants us to love each other.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The second bolded part is something I never heard in 18+ years of forced attendance at the First Baptist Church of Denton.  Yet once I started going to a Methodist church in Wimberley, it's something that I heard every week.  Another thing I never heard in the Baptist church but heard every week at WUMC -- God wants us to love each other.

This is 100% dead balls on my experience visiting Baptist churches with friends versus growing up in the Presbyterian church.

The problem isn't so much Christians as it is Evangelical Christians.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The problem isn't so much Christians as it is Evangelical Christians.

I've said this here or the other site... The individualism that permeates much of American evangelicalism is the root of so much that is broken in our country.

Edited by NWBuck
  • Like 1

Not to derail this thread too much, but honest question: does she mean The Church in a global sense or just in the United States? I can plainly see what The Church is doing in the US and I completely agree that it is 180 degrees from what The Christ preached. But I'm curious on her feelings on the rest of the world. I grew up in the Methodist Church (and if I ever return to Christianity, that's where I will go) and I'm pretty familiar with their issues over ordaining homosexuals. Is it the same issue facing other denominations? I'm just curious by what she means "The Church"? I assume she means the global church, but I would be interested in her thoughts on Christianity outside the US. And just to make it clear, she's the smart one in the relationship, so I want to hear her thoughts. Not her thoughts, filtered through you.

I’ll ask her.
But I might not listen, cuz, you know, we’re married. And that’s how that goes.
I've said this here or the other site... The individualism that permeates much of American evangelicalism is the root of so much that is broken in our country.

We have created a cult of the individual, at the complete and total expense of the commonwealth/the common good/community.
And we just happened to get hit with 1) a crisis that is communal in nature, both in its risk and in its prevention (a highly communicable disease), while 2) we are led by the perfect personification of our sociopathic individualism: a malignant narcissist who believed only in the “me,” and not at all in the “we.”
This is such a perfect coincidence that it actually does make you wonder if God is actually saying “okay, fuckers, you wanted it this way - here you go.” It’s almost too perfect(ly awful).
  • Like 7

Churches have made how much money and gained how much power by convincing people to believe what they're told, instead of what they see.
Why should you expect churchgoers to look at anything with a critical eye? Sure, some have been able to figure out a way to be both religious and reasonable, but I fear they make up a minority. 
Organized religion is an archaic concept that should have died centuries ago. But as we see all too often, it's hard to pull up power by the roots. 

Religions' roots are so deeply engrained in societies throughout the world that it will take decades, or centuries, to phase them out. But they will eventually become fringe. I was raised deeply Presbyterian (grandfather was a Presbyterian minister, dad made us go to church EVERY Sunday), but when you start applying the simplest of logic tests against it, it breaks down very quickly. Of course god is probably up there reading this and going "Lucifer, he's all yours."

15 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

I had not made that connection.  Very interdasting.

As brisket often says (and did again seconds ago), America seems to have lost most of its sense of community.  And, apparently, a lot of that is traceable to the movements of the 60s.  

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Listen, my post was not to encourage football smack talk.

I don’t engage in that much at all because I’m a guest here.

Even though I have more than enough ammo.......

I’ll just promote my team this way -

you and i are orphans...these good folks have been kind enough to foster us.

but ima still talk shit...it’s what one does.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Image tagged in english motherfucker do you speak it - Imgflip

I’d be inclined to give him a pass if he just left out or misspelled one word, autocorrect and all that.  But I’m gonna assume he meant to say ‘ but I’m still gonna give y’all shit’, and that’s not an explainable error.

• Like 1

The President of the United States sent 15 separate tweets identifying people who tried to rske down old Andy Jackson's statue.

Seems like POTUS should have more pressing, major  issues to deal with.  But what do I know.

Trump tweets 15 separate posters of 'persons of interest' sought in connection to Andrew Jackson statue vandalization

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-tweets-individual-press-releases-persons-of-interest-sought-andrew-jackson-statue-vandalization

you and i are orphans...these good folks have been kind enough to foster us.

but ima still talk shit...it’s what one does.

Yeah but talking shit about football isn’t really fun for me anymore.

One, because, well we’re just better than everyone else and two, the last four years have made me realize it’s just not that important.

The only thing I’ve gotten spitting cussing mad about in regards to football is Trump showing up and cursing our season.

I’ve come to terms with the fact that we probably aren’t getting any football this season and the fact that I’m disappointed but not devastated made me realize that the crisis this country is in has really dampened my joy for things I used to adore.

(Except Harry Styles. I had front row pit tickets to see him in Nashville next month. The concert has been rescheduled to October 2021. It’s the correct decision and I knew in my heart it was never gonna happen but I actually cried about it.)

Anyway, thanks again to Surly and all y’all for giving us a home.

giphy.gif
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Evidently the White House is not denying the accuracy of Russian bounties on American lives, they’re just denying that Trump was ever briefed on it. “ It’s not my fault! I don’t know what’s going on!”

Why the hell wouldn't he have been?

Yeah but talking shit about football isn’t really fun for me anymore.

One, because, well we’re just better than everyone else and two, the last four years have made me realize it’s just not that important.

The only thing I’ve gotten spitting cussing mad about in regards to football is Trump showing up and cursing our season.

I’ve come to terms with the fact that we probably aren’t getting any football this season and the fact that I’m disappointed but not devastated made me realize that the crisis this country is in has really dampened my joy for things I used to adore.

(Except Harry Styles. I had front row pit tickets to see him in Nashville next month. The concert has been rescheduled to October 2021. It’s the correct decision and I knew in my heart it was never gonna happen but I actually cried about it.)

Anyway, thanks again to Surly and all y’all for giving us a home.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

meh...i always enjoyed being the last one standing in PE dodgeball. about 12 mofos throwing shit...dip, zip, dodge...all the whole laughing and talking shit.

kinda reminds me of that.

It’s levity in serious times, gallows humor. it’s getting out of your lane a bit just because.

we all need that once in awhile...
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the very last traditional power that should be talking shit about Texas football is Alabama.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but 7-1-1 is historical ass-kicking territory, and not for the 'bammers.

Now, if you want to talk about fake national titles, well, you need to speak with the Aggies.

• Like 5

Yeah about that lobster thing--
20 years ago, Maine didn't have a lobster industry. All the lobster was farther south in waters off NY and Conn. Then global warming caused a warming of the waters off the New England coast, which pushed the lobster farther north to Maine. Now NY and Conn have zero lobster.
10 or 20 or 30 more years from now, Maine won't have any lobster either- it'll all be in Canada. Canada has already starting seeing an increase in its lobster catch.
Thanks Obama!

As an Italian who is related to most of south Portland, I laugh at your stupidity.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I had not made that connection.  Very interdasting.

As brisket often says (and did again seconds ago), America seems to have lost most of its sense of community.  And, apparently, a lot of that is traceable to the movements of the 60s.  

I think a lot of this began with the mobility of the American work force which uprooted people from their traditional communities along with the fetishization of selfishness. See the rise in popularity of Ayn Rand which is a far cry from the writings of Adam Smith.

2 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Ironically, it is also at the root of what makes our country great.

That's why the "Trumpidemic"  graphic in the post above, while easy to understand, is dumb.  We are not set up to deal with something like this in the way that Germany is.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I have not seen this before, and it is amazing.  The determination is admirable.

There are quite a few versions out there set to different songs like Sail and Seven Nation Army.

I don't even blame her either, I've had those same feelings every ou game. Thank God they keep those fuckers in the north end of the end zone.

5 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

There are quite a few versions out there set to different songs like Sail and Seven Nation Army.

I don't even blame her either, I've had those same feelings every ou game. Thank God they keep those fuckers in the north end of the end zone.

Wasn’t that a Bama home game?