Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/27/trump-losing-2020-election-342326

Donald Trump knows he's losing.

The president has privately come to that grim realization in recent days, multiple people close to him told POLITICO, amid a mountain of bad polling and warnings from some of his staunchest allies that he's on course to be a one-term president. 

Trump has endured what aides describe as the worst stretch of his presidency, marred by widespread criticism over his response to the coronavirus pandemic and nationwide racial unrest. His rally in Oklahoma last weekend, his first since March, turned out to be an embarrassment when he failed to fill the arena. 

What should have been an easy interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity on Thursday horrified advisers when Trump offered a rambling, non-responsive answer to a simple question about his goals for a second term. In the same appearance, the normally self-assured president offered a tacit acknowledgment that he might lose when he said that Joe Biden is “gonna be your president because some people don't love me, maybe."

In the hours after the interview aired, questions swirled within his inner circle about whether his heart was truly in it when it comes to seeking reelection.

Trump has time to rebound, and the political environment could improve for him. But interviews with more than a half-dozen people close to the president depicted a reelection effort badly in need of direction — and an unfocused candidate who repeatedly undermines himself.

“Under the current trajectory, President Trump is on the precipice of one the of the worst electoral defeats in modern presidential elections and the worst historically for an incumbent president,” said former Trump political adviser Sam Nunberg, who remains a supporter.

Spoiler

Nunberg pointed to national polls released by CNBC and New York Times/Siena over the past week showing Trump receiving below 40 percent against Biden.

If Trump's numbers against erode to 35 percentage points over the next two weeks, Nunberg added, “He’s going to be facing realistically a 400-plus electoral vote loss and the president would need to strongly reconsider whether he wants to continue to run as the Republican presidential nominee.”

Behind the scenes, Trump and his team are taking steps to correct course. In the week since his Tulsa rally, the president has grudgingly conceded that he’s behind, according to three people who are familiar with his thinking. Trump, who vented for days about the event, is starting to take a more hands-on role in the campaign and has expressed openness to adding more people to the team. He has also held meetings recently focusing on his efforts in individual battleground states.

Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, who effectively oversees the campaign from the White House, is expected to play an even more active role.

Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale was blamed internally for the Tulsa rally failure. Some people complained about him trumpeting that 1 million people had requested tickets, a boast that fell flat when thousands of seats sat empty during Trump's speech. 

Parscale has been a target of some Trump allies who argue the campaign is lacking a coherent strategy and direction. But people close to the president insist that Parscale's job is safe for now. Trump, who visited the campaign’s Arlington, Virginia headquarters a few months ago, has told people he came away impressed with the sophistication of the organization.

Parscale, whose background is as a digital strategist, has received some reinforcements in recent weeks. Longtime Trump adviser Bill Stepien was given added responsibilities in the campaign, including working with political director Chris Carr and the Republican National Committee on voter turnout. And Jason Miller, a veteran of the 2016 campaign, was brought back to serve as a chief political strategist, a position that had been unfilled.

But those internal moves have done little to calm Republican jitters about the president's personal performance. Fox News host and Trump favorite Tucker Carlson issued a blunt warning on his show this week that the president “could well lose this election.” South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, another close Trump ally, told reporters that the president needs to make the race “more about policy and less about your personality.”

Trump's team insists the president’s numbers are bound to improve as he steps up his public events and intensifies his attacks on Biden. People involved in the campaign say they have settled on two main avenues to go after the former vice president: That he’s beholden to liberals who want to do away with law and order, and that he’s a consummate Washington insider.

The campaign has begun a massive TV ad campaign going after the 77-year-old former vice president, including over his mental capacity and his nearly five-decade political career. Hoping to make inroads with African-American voters, Trump's campaign is running ads slamming Biden over his central role in the 1994 crime bill. 

The commercials are airing in an array of states including Georgia, a traditionally red state where Trump suddenly finds himself in a fight. The cash-flush campaign is expected to remain on the TV airwaves in a host of key states through the election..

Veterans of Trump’s first presidential campaign liken their current predicament to the nightmarish summer of 2016, when he was buffeted by an array of self-inflicted scandals — from his criticism of a Gold Star family to his attack on a federal judge of Mexican ancestry.

Then as now, Trump trailed badly.

“There was similar fretting in 2016 and if it had been accurate, Hillary Clinton would be in the White House right now. Joe Biden is the weakest Democrat candidate in a generation and we are defining him that way,” said Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh. “We are four months from Election Day and in the end it will be a clear choice between President Trump’s incredible record of achievement and Joe Biden’s half-century of failure in Washington, D.C.”

Still, Trump advisers acknowledge that tearing down Biden will require a level of discipline he isn’t demonstrating. They have pleaded with Trump — who has used his Twitter account to vilify critics from MSNBC host Joe Scarborough to former National Security Adviser John Bolton — to stop focusing on slights that mean little to voters.

Biden's low-profile during the pandemic has made it that much harder for Trump to land a punch, his advisers said. 

But Republicans say he and his campaign need to figure out something soon.

“The key factor has been that Biden has been able to stay out of the race,” said David McIntosh, the president of the pro-Trump Club for Growth. “Republicans have to start defining Biden and put resources and effort and consistent messaging behind it.”

25 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Ironically, it is also at the root of what makes our country great.

That's why the "Trumpidemic"  graphic in the post above, while easy to understand, is dumb.  We are not set up to deal with something like this in the way that Germany is.

No, the kind of individualism we have been experiencing for the last half century or so is not the kind that made America great.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I see that our fake president has flooded his Twitter timeline with the pictures of hundreds of alleged status attackers, like he's some kind of two bit city council member. 

That's Larry David!

Lloyd Braun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Ironically, it is also at the root of what makes our country great.

This is also true. America may have been shaped with foundational aspects of Christianity, but many of people also hold that Christianity has become indelibly connected with Americanism. 

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Evidently the White House is not denying the accuracy of Russian bounties on American lives, they’re just denying that Trump was ever briefed on it. “ It’s not my fault! I don’t know what’s going on!”

That is one of his several default statements.  I know nuttin’.  Like the pandemic problem...tried to fix, quickly gave up and told states to “handle it..handle it”.  Now, not my fault any more.  Insert fingers in ears, close eyes....say “lalalalala”.

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, the kind of individualism we have been experiencing for the last half century or so is not the kind that made America great.

I should elaborate on this.  A capitalistic economy is inherently individualistic.  And our Constitution emphasizes individual rights to a degree previously unseen.

Those aspects of individuality made America great.  

More recently, a number of factors have conspired to emphasize individuality over community or individual responsibility (the two really kind of go hand-in-hand).

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I should elaborate on this.  A capitalistic economy is inherently individualistic.  And our Constitution emphasizes individual rights to a degree previously unseen.

More recently, a number of factors have conspired to emphasize individuality over community or individual responsibility (the two really kind of go hand-in-hand).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Organized religion’s support of trump will be its downfall. There is no coming back from that. 

Maybe if larger swaths of organized religion supported Trump, you'd have a point.

Evangelicals are really disorganized religion.  They have no structure or hierarchy outside their own church.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The big difference from my perspective is that we kept the individualism but have lost track of individual responsibility. Corporations don’t practice it, our leaders don’t practice it, now every day Americans have started to decide not to practice it. It’s discouraging. 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

The big difference from my perspective is that we kept the individualism but have lost track of individual responsibility. Corporations don’t practice it, our leaders don’t practice it, now every day Americans have started to decide not to practice it. It’s discouraging. 

I think it actually started with the "everyday Americans."  The boomers to be precise.  When they came to power, it was every man for himself and pull up the ladders behind you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I don't see this one going away. Selling out the military is an almost unforgivable sin in most circles. I don't think any spin gets him out of this one. But I've been wrong before.. 

This might be true, but @Gengs1 point still stands. Dems won’t go as hard on this as the Republicans did on Benghazi. 

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ll ask her.
But I might not listen, cuz, you know, we’re married. And that’s how that goes.

We have created a cult of the individual, at the complete and total expense of the commonwealth/the common good/community.
And we just happened to get hit with 1) a crisis that is communal in nature, both in its risk and in its prevention (a highly communicable disease), while 2) we are led by the perfect personification of our sociopathic individualism: a malignant narcissist who believed only in the “me,” and not at all in the “we.”
This is such a perfect coincidence that it actually does make you wonder if God is actually saying “okay, fuckers, you wanted it this way - here you go.” It’s almost too perfect(ly awful).

If Trump nation are God’s chosen people, I have to seriously question his omnipotence.

What mean "everybody", Tonto?  

Welp, he just put it on everybody's radar.  So the real reporting can begin.  Russia played bounty hunter with American troops.  

samelliottvoice/ "The American people can stomach a lot.  But they are not going to stomach you dismissing this because of your fear of/allegiance to Putin." 

He knows even his most ardent base supporters won't tolerate him turning a blind eye to Russia and Afghani's doing this, so he has no choice but just shout that it's a manufactured story. He will go on an anti-media rampage the likes of which we have not yet seen because that's his only play.  And because of that, what little trust there is among his followers to listen to the media when it comes to Covid-19, BLM/protesting/reform, etc....It will be completely gone.  And we'll have the most fucked up November in U.S. history.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What mean "everybody", Tonto?  

Welp, he just put it on everybody's radar.  So the real reporting can begin.  Russia played bounty hunter with American troops.  

samelliottvoice/ "The American people can stomach a lot.  But they are not going to stomach you dismissing this because of your fear of/allegiance to Putin." 

He knows even his most ardent base supporters won't tolerate him turning a blind eye to Russia and Afghani's doing this, so he has no choice but just shout that it's a manufactured story. He will go on an anti-media rampage the likes of which we have not yet seen because that's his only play.  And because of that, what little trust there is among his followers to listen to the media when it comes to Covid-19, BLM/protesting/reform, etc....It will be completely gone.  And we'll have the most fucked up November in U.S. history.  

Nice work, Donald.  Now the media is going to spend all week discussing this.  Looks like turn around week doesn’t start till after the 4th of July.  Scratch off another 10 days of losing the news cycle.

I could actually believe that if something is in a report, he doesn’t know about it. And there are reports that since he became president, it’s difficult for advisors to bring up Russia because that focuses him on the investigations on him.

i cannot wait for the 2021 investigations into all of these lies.