Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

How the fuck does “Americans in Afghanistan are now even more at risk” support the case for continued engagement in that country? 

Because the risk to deployed troops doesn't really matter to the voting public at least in relation to the possibility that we may lose face by backing down.  Leaving now would just be giving the dirty Russians and the Taliban what they want and we can't have that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Kudos to you for failing to learn a single lesson from the history of IC failures resulting in needless war after needless war.  Just tangential issues. Lol. 

I don't know if you realize this, but Russia wants us there as a means to foment further discord.  Those peace negotiations aren't just for show.  

And yes, your refusal (as a prominent "Gary Johnson voter") to acknowledge a very obvious story in favor of wagging your finger at the IC is fucking predicable, boring, and flat out stupid.  Carry on, I don't need another Carter Page FISA drama.  You do you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

How the fuck does “Americans in Afghanistan are now even more at risk” support the case for continued engagement in that country? 

How does this information being leaked by anonymous sources in the immediate run up to infra-afghan peace talks further the goals of peace and American disengagement?

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know if you realize this, but Russia wants us there as a means to foment further discord.  Those peace negotiations aren't just for show.  

And yes, your refusal (as a prominent "Gary Johnson voter") to acknowledge a very obvious story in favor of wagging your finger at the IC is fucking predicable, boring, and flat out stupid.  Carry on, I don't need another Carter Page FISA drama.  You do you.

I would never vote for somebody who didn’t know where Aleppo was. But keep defending a system that has resulted in needless war after needless war because Americans are easily manipulated to support the war machine. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I would never vote for somebody who didn’t know where Aleppo was. But keep defending a system that has resulted in needless war after needless war because Americans are easily manipulated to support the war machine. 

Carter Page: It was not an attack on me, it was an attack on Trump ...

This has nothing to do with victim Trump or whatever straw man you are constructing. It has to do with the long history of instigating conflict based on faulty IC intel. I guess we are just suppose to uncritically accept the depictions of anonymous IC sources without any substantive vetting or consideration of the context and potential motivations.  What could go wrong. We know that, as some are fond to promote here, the CIA is responsible for the longest period of Western European centered peace and stability in world history. What’s an Iran or iraq or Afghanistan as long the machine keeps churning?

uhhhh... the WSJ, POst, and Times are reporting that trump was briefed about russian bounties on US troops. That has nothing to do with keeping the churning of war machines.  It has to do with understanding a risk to our troops from a foreign adversary and the impotent response from Trump.  Whatabout Rumsfeld, Cheney,  Bush, and Condoleezza Rice is about as relevant as a lame both sides argument.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Because the risk to deployed troops doesn't really matter to the voting public at least in relation to the possibility that we may lose face by backing down.  Leaving now would just be giving the dirty Russians and the Taliban what they want and we can't have that.  

Neocons are already connecting this to ramping up of involvement in Syria. Tangents people. Just got to hold out a few more months!

So trump is done right?  I mean. How can you come back after tweeting white power???  Even bootlicking mainstream Republicans can’t support him now, right?  No more plausible deniability. 

(I feel like I’ve said this 30 times during the last few years.   So I’m probably wrong...)

Edited by Xian
  • Like 2

Csb: I was in POC last weekend.  Went into the convenience store to buy a bag of ice, put my mask on as I went in.  Literally the first person I see gets in front of me, makes eye contact, rolls his eyes, and gives me a loud “pfffft”.  Then 2 guys see me and start belting “I won’t back down” by Tom Petty.  Which I didn’t understand until the next day when I saw Trump had used that song for his rally the previous night.  The front beach last Saturday was a parade of Trump golf carts and Trump dually pickups.  Craziest thing was the most common flag said “Trump 2020: No More Bullshit”.  Interpreting that is scary no matter how you see it.
Yeah it sucks. I've been going to Poc since I was 6. It's like a second home. I have a lot of family in Calhoun county. And I feel like a pilgrim in a most unholy land there now. Never felt that way before. I only go during the week in summer, and only dip into Speedy Stop for ice and Beacon 44 for seafood as they are cool with mask.

On the weekend one is subject to a heavy gauntlet of Trumptard fuckery. Golf carts, at the store, at the ramp, on the beach and on the Bay. Flags everywhere. Just a constant barrage of disrespectful behavior and aversion to decency. They mock you for masking up to try and not kill the cashier whose been serving drunk, rude out of towners since you were a barefoot kid in Alvin's Grocery. They run airboats right through your Wade and laugh as they burn the whole flat for miles.
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Xian said:

So trump is done right?  I mean. How can you come back after tweeting white power???  Even bootlicking mainstream Republicans can’t support him now, right?  No more plausible deniability. 

(I feel like I’ve said this 30 times during the last few years.   So I’m probably wrong...)

Ah well, nevertheless. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't commented on the IC-fueled war machine, @Anastasis, and I certainly haven't defended it.

Again, you are struggling with the point:  POTUS was briefed on Russia-funded actions against American soldiers and did nothing about it.  In fact, he continued to kowtow.  That's the story we're talking about.  You, as usual, are trying to deflect.  Not this time.

I am not missing any point. You seem to be the one struggling with what I have said, preferring instead to deflect into a discussion of fisa and page pictures. 

What I suggested is that we should have a full and transparent accounting of the intel. Not via anonymous IC sources operating in the shadows with their compliant media partners, but in a setting that is transparent to the American people. Trumps knowledge of and actions should be part of that.  This is serious stuff that will have a meaningful impact on American foreign policy in afghan and Syria and wrt Russia broadly. I’d like to see a little more than anonymous ic sources. OTOH you don’t seem inclined to think critically about it, because orange man. This is not the first time by any stretch, as you have already signaled with your deflection. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Xian said:

Escalating craziness, designed to make you forget about the previous day's craziness. Remember Obamagate? How about Joe Scarborough murdering someone. 

8 minutes ago, Xian said:

Well, he's already stood on the podium and smiled while an all-white crowd at a rally chanted "Send them back!" about four black and brown Americans.  

And collectively, the entire Republican Party - all of them - said   NOT.  A.  SINGLE.  FUCKING.  WORD.  

I mean, it seems to me that it would take a single molecule of decency, a single neuron in favor of dignity, morality, and justice, for JUST ONE Republican to step up the mic and say, "This is wrong, and I do not support or condone it."  

And yet...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Xian said:

If the market doesn't go much lower and we can get a bit more looting happening, Law and Order should be able to win him the election.  And to his base, White Power=Law and Order.

The question is whether everyone will hold their nose and hit the Trump lever.

Hope for the best sure, but expect the worst.

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am not missing any point. You seem to be the one struggling with what I have said, preferring instead to deflect into a discussion of fisa and page pictures. 

What I suggested is that we should have a full and transparent accounting of the intel. Not via anonymous IC sources operating in the shadows with their compliant media partners, but in a setting that is transparent to the American people. Trumps knowledge of and actions should be part of that.  This is serious stuff that will have a meaningful impact on American foreign policy in afghan and Syria and wrt Russia broadly. I’d like to see a little more than anonymous ic sources. 

Well this intel would’ve been readily available as it used to be published yearly in our “threat report” or whatever but this administration stopped doing those.  *in this case* I’m seeing it as more of a “fuck, we’d usually be able to tell you guys this shit happened or is happening but now we can’t anymore so,fuck it,I’m talking”.  I’m talking about this specific case/instance.  

edit: I’d also like to point out that our usual up the chain of command complaint system with regards to government employees has been pretty much hijacked and we don’t really investigate these things anymore. 

Edited by CowboyFred

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Having political figures speak at your church, on Sunday, not as part of some lecture series, but on worship day is just flat out wrong.  It's un-Christian and it's un-American.  I don't care if they confine their remarks to their spirituality or don't electioneer.

I'd switch churches the first time that happened.

I'm not going to advocate that churches be taxed for the 100,000+ other churches that do and would do no such thing.  I would argue passionately that FBC and "Dream Church" and Gateway Church should have their exemptions stripped.

There are plenty of good churches. There should be a revenue ceiling. Once your church exceeds the ceiling, or you start acting like a political organization, you get to pay taxes. 

• Like 1

the deletion of the white power tweet will surely bring another:

”so what happened, did you just not notice it?”

”i notice everything.”

they need to use this and the afghani story as yet another example of “he doesn’t pay attention, because he doesn’t care to listen, or care to learn, or care to be engaged.” but it’ll be forgotten by tues, when he finally brings charges of treason against obama. 

• Like 2

I am not missing any point.

You absolutely are.  Furthermore, you have no idea what vetting was done, you have no idea who the source is, and yet your knee-jerk instinct is to point your finger at the IC without seeing the lunacy playing out in front of your face.

Yeah, the "orange man" is bad.  He's proven it over and over again.  This particular accusation, which he as ALREADY tried to sidestep (hint:  that means it happened) is perhaps worthy of his Greatest Hits release, but as is your wont, you are deflecting away from the most obvious story.  I wonder why?  

Trumpkins.  You're the worst.

• Like 2

So the president of the United States is unconcerned about reports that his bestest butt buddy is paying to murder US troops. 

Meanwhile the virus is surging in fucking late June and all trump and pence can do is pat themselves on the back for a job well done. 

May you live in interesting times.

I picture the Robert Stack character "Rex Kramer" in "Airplane!" when they ask him, "Should we turn on the runway lights, sir?"  and he replies, "No, that's just what they'll be expecting."  His aides are asking him all day today, "Should we deflect the Russian bounty hunter story, sir?  Should we disassociate ourselves from the Florida Villages racists story, sir?"  And he says, "OH no, that's just what they'll be expecting us to do.  let's double down on our madness."  I'm speaking of course of the fictitious character in the Airplane/KFM universe and not the sorely missed racist cunt-muffin from the TOS.  

Henry Kissinger once wrote the intelligence community is supposed gather data to help the administration make the best informed decisions but unfortunately it usually works the other way around.  

Meaning, the administration sets an agenda and uses the IC to gather/present information in the advancement of that agenda.  That’s how we end up with shit like the Iraq War.  

It’s not that the IC is inherently bad, it’s that they get exploited and subverted by administrations to advance the geopolitical priorities of the ruling party. 

• Like 5

Trump really broke y’alls brain when it comes to accepting a critical posture wrt the IC warmongering and surveillance. I sincerely hope that you guys recover when he is gone in January. 

You seem quite bereft of the knowledge of who is driving the warmongering. I suggest circling back and getting a grasp on that and then coming back when you can speak knowledgeably.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Henry Kissinger once wrote the intelligence community is supposed gather data to help the administration make the best informed decisions but unfortunately it usually works the other way around.  

Meaning, the administration sets an agenda and uses the IC to gather/present information in the advancement of that agenda.  That’s how we end up with shit like the Iraq War.  

It’s not that the IC is inherently bad, it’s that they get exploited and subverted by administrations to advance the geopolitical priorities of the ruling party. 

Goddamn its a hell of a world when Hugo is the only one who understands how it all works.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

While the IC is not "independent" of the Executive a la SCOTUS, let's not pretend like they aren't built to help implement hawkish, often illegal actions.

They really aren't.

At least he made law review at Syracuse.  You have to have half a brain to make that happen at a decent law school like SU.  

The next Trump coherent sentence will be his first.  

“Maybe we should fully vet anonymous source reporting that is going to be used to justify scuttling peace talks related to a two decade war and stoke our involvement in Syria and other proxy battles with Russia. The IC has a long track record of being involved in putting us in extremely bad positions with compromised reporting.”

Trumpkin! Gary Johnson! Carter page! fisa! Orange man!

lol. You guys.