Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've always thought it odd, but also kind of cool, that the military actively supports musicians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_bands

If you didn't know, it's not just kinda talented people they pull from the ranks, they actively recruit formally trained musicians for the Marine Band and various other ensembles. And most of the bands are "mission-exclusive," meaning they don't have other military duties.  It's a lot of  aspiring professional musicians' first or only paying gig.

I did not know, however, that the Army maintained a boy band.

Weird.

If I’m remembering correctly, my sisters wedding reception band at the Lackland officers club were military personnel playing a civilian gig.  They did a bad ass version of Miami Sound Machine’s - Rhythm is Gonna Get You.

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I was in a black cab in London shortly after the Brexit vote in 2016 and after a brief conversation with the driver and him learning I was from Texas he said "well we're (British) the dumbest cunts on the planet. But in a few months you may take that title away from us if you elect Trump". I chuckled and said yeah that would definitely take the cake, not ever thinking that would happen.

Here's to not being the dumbest cunts on the planet come November.

I gave an address to a bunch of psychologists in South Africa in 2017, soon after Trump started. It was an uncomfortable time to be traveling with an American passport. The first thing I said when I took the podium was, "Listen. I didn't vote for him." Immediately got a big laugh and a standing ovation. 

The rest of my talk was downhill from there, but it didn't matter. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, hearing that guy on the piccolo trumpet from the Marine Corps Commandant's Own, that's chill-inducing.

Yes, all those who make the military bands are world class.  One of my best friends from HS, she was two years younger than me, she began to move ahead of me on French horn by the end of my senior year.  I edged her out but barely in All-State tryouts, etc.  She was just a sophomore.  I marched Cavaliers, she marched Star of Indiana and later taught.  Eventually she got a masters in performance from North Texas and made the Army Band at West Point.

Those military band types do not fuck around.

I have no problem with you tootin’ your own horn.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

It cracks me up every time you post one of these

“This offer is only available for the NEXT HOUR, Fuck!”

And a 600% match? Who is doing the matching donation exactly?

There’s a sucker born every minute.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

The America I know helps humanity when in need. Is generous in spirit. And appreciates all voices. Idealist. Aspirational. 

We have four years of a "Ford-like" Presidency ahead of us, and then in 2024 a fresher President. This election is about where we go, not where we have been.

Happy Independence Weekend.

• Like 8

If I’m remembering correctly, my sisters wedding reception band at the Lackland officers club were military personnel playing a civilian gig.  They did a bad ass version of Miami Sound Machine’s - Rhythm is Gonna Get You.

There is no such thing as a bad ass version of that song.
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I gave an address to a bunch of psychologists in South Africa in 2017, soon after Trump started. It was an uncomfortable time to be traveling with an American passport. The first thing I said when I took the podium was, "Listen. I didn't vote for him." Immediately got a big laugh and a standing ovation. 

Man, feeling uncomfortable as an American in South Africa has got to be awkward.

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man, Bruno Mars is an all time world-class entertainer. He’s got to be the most talented popular musician since Sammy Davis Jr. 

We took my MIL to see him when he performed at F1 in 2018. We splurged for VIP tix on the floor since it was for her birthday. I’m not a huge Bruno fan, I think he’s got some catchy songs, but he’s not on my usual playlist. But gotdamn, that show was so fucking good. He puts on a badass show and is crazy talented. Highly recommended to see him. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Red Five said:

Quite the unifying speeches the last couple of days. Happy July 4th everyone! 

This.  Absolutely this.

https://apnews.com/95698f178a15e56a0f4e286708d06668

https://apnews.com/95698f178a15e56a0f4e286708d06668

For nation’s birthday, Trump stokes the divisions within US

By LYNN BERRY and AAMER MADHANItoday

WASHINGTON (AP) — On a day meant for unity and celebration, President Donald Trump vowed to “safeguard our values” from enemies within — leftists, looters, agitators, he said — in a Fourth of July speech packed with all the grievances and combativeness of his political rallies.

Trump watched paratroopers float to the ground in a tribute to America, greeted his audience of front-line medical workers and others central in responding to the coronavirus pandemic, and opened up on those who “slander” him and disrespect the country’s past.

“We are now in the process of defeating the radical left, the anarchists, the agitators, the looters, and the people who, in many instances, have absolutely no clue what they are doing,” he said. “We will never allow an angry mob to tear down our statues, erase our history, indoctrinate our children.

“And we will defend, protect and preserve (the) American way of life, which began in 1492 when Columbus discovered America.”

He did not mention the dead from the pandemic. Nearly 130,000 are known to have died from COVID-19 in the U.S.

Not the entire article, but I started to read it and was just stunned.  I had a great 4th of July evening watching fireworks at a safe social distance with my family.  I even had that moment where maybe I've had a bit much to drink (wife was driving) and that maudlin "America has its problems but at least I have this right now" moment.  Where you want to (metaphorically now) hug your fellow man and declare how sure we have issues, but we're going to make it, together. 

Then I get to read what this dickhead did on yet another day where the message should be a uniting one in times of crisis.   His message is constant division and hate towards fellow Americans.  I know, he equally hates everybody, but not having even one speech of sympathy for victims, not one speech of "hey, we're all in this together, let's work together" is soul sucking.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Everybody should watch this clip and take note of the cowardice, the hypocrisy, the soullessness. Then ask yourself how is it that a country of 320M+ people continues to send filth like this to Congress.

To be fair, only a relatively small percentage of those people send filth like that to the Senate.  Specifically, something less than the 3.2 million people in Iowa.

Surprised Iowa has that few people.  Lots of rurals, though.

8 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Everybody should watch this clip and take note of the cowardice, the hypocrisy, the soullessness. Then ask yourself how is it that a country of 320M+ people continues to send filth like this to Congress. She is one of 100 in the Senate with a guaranteed job for six years. Why the fuck do we continue to settle for this as a country??? It's truly embarrassing some of the people we elect to public office in this country. 

Obviously we actually have to vote out Trump and his GOP cronies first, but it's going to be a real struggle for people to resolve what has happened over the last 4 years. Even if you take away the policy minutiae and partisan bullshit, these Republican assholes simply have a complete disregard for the people they represent. 130,000 citizens have died and none of them give a shit. It's really hard to process. How will we move forward? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

We were there around the same time.  Had an Uber driver from Mali who we ended up hiring for the day to drive us from vineyard to vineyard.  We got to be friends over the course of the day.  When he was taking us back to where we were staying, he finally asked us “how the fuck did Donald Trump get elected?”  I didn’t have a very good answer, but the best I could come up with was something along the lines of “because my parents suck.”

• Like 4

To be fair, only a relatively small percentage of those people send filth like that to the Senate.  Specifically, something less than the 3.2 million people in Iowa.
Surprised Iowa has that few people.  Lots of rurals, though.

b5c59fc87f4775f49b135b7485848039.gif
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Republicans are giving their voters exactly what they want: fairy tales and end times fantasy. Their voters don’t care about being better off in reality. They just want powerful people to cast them as heroes in an epic myth of Good vs. Evil.

That is very well put. 

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Yeah. That surprises me, I thought he was an artist right up your alley. He's fucking great.

I recall not loving what I first heard years ago, but the stuff I've heard in the last year or so was really solid. They play him on KUTX and Sun Radio, which occupy most of my FM listening.