Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

How strong of a brand is Goya in Texas incidentally?  In Florida its a big deal, but I always thought their flavors/items favored Puerto Rico/Cuba/Carribean cuisine, not really Mexico.  We have a bunch of it in the HEBs in Killeen, but I think that's common in most stores surrounding a military base.  

6 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

How strong of a brand is Goya in Texas incidentally?  In Florida its a big deal, but I always thought their flavors/items favored Puerto Rico/Cuba/Carribean cuisine, not really Mexico.  We have a bunch of it in the HEBs in Killeen, but I think that's common in most stores surrounding a military base.  

Its big in NY. Don't recall it as much in Texas.

But the CEO pretty much shot his own dick off.  I would guess that 80+% of Goya consumers are anti-Trump.  

14 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

They sponsor all sorts of shit at Astros games, can't really recall ever seeing an ad for them elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

They’re a pretty big deal in Houston. As another poster linked, they have a lot of sponsorships with the astros. And we’re a Hispanic city, so they’re a big deal. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hopefully HeB pulls them off the shelf 

Hopefully they don't do it as a political statement but simply because the shit is no longer selling.

This stuff fails to get me worked up. It is exhausting to consider the possibility that I have to make a political choice between which brand of canned beans I purchase. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Hopefully they don't do it as a political statement but simply because the shit is no longer selling.

This stuff fails to get me worked up. It is exhausting to consider the possibility that I have to make a political choice between which brand of canned beans I purchase. 

The HEB brand is way better than Goya.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They’re a pretty big deal in Houston. As another poster linked, they have a lot of sponsorships with the astros. And we’re a Hispanic city, so they’re a big deal. 

I guess that's what I was getting at, is Goya a big deal for hispanics at large, or the narrower areas I mentioned?  Goya chorizo is more spanish, its a smoked sausage, not the loose stuff you can cook for mexican tacos.  Do mexicans eat stuff like guava paste?  I genuinely dont know if that overlap is there.

I know Houston is fairly international, so is it a bigger deal there because they have a larger PR/cuban/spanish population or is Goya coveted by mexican hispanics as much the ones I mentioned?  I grew up eating it in Florida, but that cuisine is prevalent everywhere.  I've never sat down in a tex/mex place and saw black beans, tostones, etc on the menu.  

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does Goya excel at anything besides random marinades?  I can't recall the last time I bought any of their stuff.

We use the hell out of it, but again, thats a flavor profile I grew up with.  We could probably find an equivalent for most of it except their chorizo.  Its hard as hell to find an equivalent in most stores in texas.  Chorizo here is the mexican stuff and its completely different.  

13 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I always thought Goya was for poors 🤷🏽‍♂️

I always thought it was for when I was drunk in New York making poor bodega choices after midnight.  

my mom still buys some of their stuff from the Mexican food store in her Chicago neighborhood.  And she’s picky as hell about her ‘ethnic foodstuffs’.  I’m sure my cousin and sister will encourage her to buy more now.  I’ll be telling her that my hatred for Trump aside, she may want to rethink the brand that puts comical amounts of sodium into every one of their products.  i don’t know who eats more salt, my obese Mexican relatives or my whiter than white in-laws.  Stiff completion though.  They have that in common, as well as a general support of Trump.  

so “Goya: Bringing lovers of Salt and haters of Reason together.”  

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I always thought Goya was for poors 🤷🏽‍♂️

Based on my upbringing, probably so.  I forgot one other essential Goya item that we have not been able to find even in Texas.  Its a seasoning packet for a garbanzo bean soup, has saffron and some other stuff in it.  We buy boxes of it whenever we run through Florida or Georgia, or have family from there visiting us bring it.  

32 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Is this an ad for Democrats?

First, that looks like it was done by a high school student.

Second, what are the chances they got permission for the use of that film footage and paid the appropriate licensing fees?  Approximately 0%.

52 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Same here. Although I did try some Goya black beans this week and found that I prefer the HEB black beans with jalapenos. So I'm switching regardless.

Oh and just looked at the other can of beans in my pantry. Ethnic food from New fucking Jersey?

Get a rope.

mX2AyjVrrck

Edited by Grade of D as in David

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does Goya excel at anything besides random marinades?  I can't recall the last time I bought any of their stuff.

america's test kitchen said their garbanzos are the best canned variety (though, basically, so long as they're salted they're all pretty similar).

goya has its own aisle space in HEB with only goya products in it, separate from where you'd normally find those products in the store.  i'd say that's a pretty big deal.

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Same here. Although I did try some Goya black beans this week and found that I prefer the HEB black beans with jalapenos. So I'm switching regardless.

HEB is way better than Goya. 

God I hope it’s not HEB that the Sack trust owns. That would suck. Hopefully it’s some shitty store in DFW or Houston instead. Or he’s just full of shit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Going back to Trump's brag about acing his cognitive test. 

Since he's a pathological liar, we now know from his statement that he did not in fact ace his test. 

I also wonder how unhinged he had to be that day to prompt his staff/ doctor to remand him to Walter Reed for a cognitive test.  

I mean, how do you tell the difference from regular everyday Trump?

Hell, given his lying, who knows if he has taken a cognitive test.

I can easily see some aide notifying him he has to go take a "test" and he gets to Walter Reed and he just talks for half an hour, and that was the "test".

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

america's test kitchen said their garbanzos are the best canned variety (though, basically, so long as they're salted they're all pretty similar).

They also said On the Border makes the best tortilla chips. That bag went into the trash right quick. I also bought a rice cooker based on their recommendation and would definitely pick a different one if I had it to do over again. I don't trust any of their "tests." (Hint: Buy a rice cooker with a lid that isn't affixed to the unit but which can be detached for easy cleaning.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They also said On the Border makes the best tortilla chips. That bag went into the trash right quick. I also bought a rice cooker based on their recommendation and would definitely pick a different one if I had it to do over again. I don't trust any of their "tests." (Hint: Buy a rice cooker with a lid that isn't affixed to the unit but which can be detached for easy cleaning.)

i don't eat that much rice so my rice cooker looks like this:

370-ssp10.jpg

(saute one cup of rice in about a tablespoon of butter or olive oil, meanwhile boil some water in a different vessel - electric kettle works great.  once rice is nice and toasty pour 2 cups water in with it IT WILL FLASH TO STEAM SO KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY.  give a hard stir, turn heat to low, set timer for low end of package instructions, fluff with fork, enjoy)

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Frees up more space for HeB branded items 

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

saute one cup of rice in about a tablespoon of butter or olive oil, meanwhile boil some water in a different vessel - electric kettle works great.  once rice is nice and toasty pour 2 cups water in with it IT WILL FLASH TO STEAM SO KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY.  give a hard stir, turn heat to low, set timer for low end of package instructions, fluff with fork, enjoy)

If you have the time, put the rice through a few soak/rinse cycles before cooking.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

But the CEO pretty much shot his own dick off.  I would guess that 80+% of Goya consumers are anti-Trump.  

One would think that a man as smart as a CEO of a major company should be, that he'd be smart enough to realize that engaging in politics of any sort is just asking to piss off at least half your base.  I don't understand how he could have thought this was a good move.

3 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

One would think that a man as smart as a CEO of a major company should be, that he'd be smart enough to realize that engaging in politics of any sort is just asking to piss off at least half your base.  I don't understand how he could have thought this was a good move.

well, he's a trump supporter, so...

• Like 2

OTB chips are good for nachos.  It’s a nice, sturdy chip that can take some toppings without breaking.  It’s also one of the larger chips out there, which I like for a nacho.  I prefer other brands for salsa, guacamole, and queso.  Fight me. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you have the time, put the rice through a few soak/rinse cycles before cooking.

i would posit you won't be able to get much toasty going if you do that. 

instant pot works really well for rice - you use much less water and should account for the water absorbed by the rice if you rinse/soak (weigh rice before/after)

48 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Based on my upbringing, probably so.  I forgot one other essential Goya item that we have not been able to find even in Texas.  Its a seasoning packet for a garbanzo bean soup, has saffron and some other stuff in it.  We buy boxes of it whenever we run through Florida or Georgia, or have family from there visiting us bring it.  

You're talking about Sazon Goya azafran? That's ALWAYS on the shelf at HEB and Fiesta, with 3 other flavors besides. I just checked the My HEB app, and  it's in aisle 2 of the Mueller HEB. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i don't eat that much rice so my rice cooker looks like this:

370-ssp10.jpg

(saute one cup of rice in about a tablespoon of butter or olive oil, meanwhile boil some water in a different vessel - electric kettle works great.  once rice is nice and toasty pour 2 cups water in with it IT WILL FLASH TO STEAM SO KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY.  give a hard stir, turn heat to low, set timer for low end of package instructions, fluff with fork, enjoy)

I can cook rice in a pot on the stovetop just fine. A rice cooker is nice when you've got other things cooking because it frees up time and space and keeps the rice warm and ready-to-serve longer than if it just sits in a pot.