Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

Remember that time America had an Attorney General who previously pushed a company that specialized in Bigfoot, time travel and big dick toilets?  To honor that era of our history and heritage there should be a statue of Bigfoot sitting on a big dick toilet.  

We talking about the monster truck Bigfoot or Harry and the Hendersons?

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

HEB spicy charros are fucking legit.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I cook rice on the stovetop as well as an Indian grandmother, and the instant pot is better than stovetop.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The saute in the oil does the same thing that the rinse in water does - get rid of the excess starch.

1 hour ago, Gooby said:

I'm Gooby and I support this message.

Also, their salsa is pretty good.

58 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Not sure I’d buy ‘on the border’ products but their $1 margaritas in Odessa got me laid many a nights 

54 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

on the border makes a better-than-average store-bought chip.

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

El Lago was the best before they closed up shop, I believe due to a fire at their factory or something like that. 

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been digging Calidad lately.  This probably just reinforces my gringo-itude.

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

HEB spicy charros are fucking legit.

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Alright motherfuckers, just rename this the Donald Trump 2020/Rice Cookery thread.

You're welcome

instant pot mujadara

Instant Pot Mujadara - a comforting, healthy vegetarian meal of lentils and rice, with fragrant Moroccan spices, served with caramelized shallots, fresh veggies, pine nuts and optional yogurt. Gluten-free and Vegan adaptable.

Instant Pot Mujadara – a comforting, healthy vegetarian meal of lentils and rice, with fragrant Moroccan spices, served with caramelized shallots, fresh veggies, pine nuts and optional yogurt. Gluten-free and Vegan adaptable. To make this on the stove top…see recipe notes.

• Author: Sylvia Fountaine
  • Prep Time: 10
  • Cook Time: 25
  • Total Time: 35 minutes
  • Yield: 5 1x
  • Category: Main, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, instant pot,
  • Method: instant pot
  • Cuisine: middle eastern
SCALE1X2X3X

ingredients

• 1 cup brown lentils (do not split lentils) see notes
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 23 fat shallots, thinly sliced ( or 1 red onion)
  • 4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
  • 2 teaspoons  cumin
  • 1 teaspoons coriander
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric, optional
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried mint or parsley ( or use a tablespoon of fresh)
  • lemon zest from one small lemon
  • 3 cups water (updated from 3 1/2 cups- see notes if using white rice)
  • 1 cup brown basmati rice (rinsed and drained- see notes for white basmati rice)

Garnishes: caramelized shallot or onion, diced tomato, simple roasted veggies, diced avocado, sprouts or greens, sliced cucumber, pine nuts, drizzle of olive oil, yogurt,  vegan yogurt, zhoug yogurt (amazing),  lemon wedges, fresh parsley, aleppo chili flakes. (In winter, serve with roasted root veggies, shredded kale, carrots, or cabbage or beets!

instructions

Place lentils in a bowl and cover with hot tap water (or boiling water), letting them soak until time to add to the instant pot.

Set Instant Pot to Saute function. Saute shallots in the oil, 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly,  until tender and fragrant and slightly caramelized. Remove half, saving for the topping. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add all the spices, salt, lemon zest and water.   Stir. Drain the lentils and add them along with the rinsed rice to the instant pot.  Give a good stir.

Cover the instant pot and set to Normal Pressure, High for 11 minutes. Let naturally release for at least 10 minutes.

In the mean time, prep any garnishes you like.

To serve, gently fluff Mujadara with a fork (do not over mix, or it will get mushy ).  Divide among bowls, drizzle with olive oil, add tomatoes, avocado, caramelized shallots, sprouts, a spoonful of yogurt or zhoug yogurt, or tahini sauce – and fresh parsley or mint. Feel free to serve with other seasonal veggies ( roasted root veggies, shredded cabbage or carrots, etc).

Enjoy!
mujadara-recipe-100-8.jpg

• Like 1

This seems bad.  Is this bad?

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/09/889301025/u-s-broadcasting-agency-will-not-extend-visas-for-its-foreign-journalists

The new Trump-appointed CEO overseeing Voice of America will not extend its foreign journalists' visas. Michael Pack has signaled he won’t approve visa extensions for dozens of foreign nationals, many of whom would be forced to return to authoritarian countries and face serious repercussions for having worked at a U.S. broadcasting agency. VOA also depends on those journalists for their language skills, which are crucial to the agency’s mission of covering news in countries without a free press. Pack fired the top officials of five media companies under his control immediately upon taking office, and his move to expel foreign journalists seems to be the next step in reshaping Voice of America to broadcast Trump administration propaganda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

We eat rice with almost every dinner, and still use a pot to do our rice cooking. We used to have a rice cooker but it took up too much counter space.  I have gotten good enough cooking it in a pot that I don't even have to measure anything to have the right amount of liquid to rice.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

How does this even work?  Does AF1 get up to 4,000’ altitude then begin its descent?

Something like that.  I was on a flight from Paris to Malabo Equatorial Guinea that made a stop in Douala, Cameroon.  Douala was basically across the bay from Malabo - on a clear day you can see Douala from Malabo.  Flight was in a Boeing 777 so not like a little Dash 8 or something like that.

We took off and kept it pretty low but I don't remember the actual altitude.  I don't think they even retracted the landing gear.

My life can be divided into two parts: pre-Zojirushi fuzzy neuro rice cooker and post-Zojirushi fuzzy neuro rice cooker. Cooks any amount of any type exactly the way you want it to every single time, and it'll keep any uneaten rice warm and fresh for longer than it will take for you to finish it. 

Fuck Donald Trump

Edited by trauma babe
word
  • Like 3

Just now, trauma babe said:

My life can be divided into two parts: pre-Zojirushi fuzzy rice cooker and post-Zojirushi fuzzy neuro rice cooker. Cooks any amount of any type exactly the way you want it to every single time, and it'll keep any uneaten rice warm and fresh for longer than it will take for you to finish it. 

Fuck Donald Trump

I got one of those -- they are badass.

41 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It never stops with this idiot. The amount of stuff that is going to have to be undone starting next January by Biden’s administration is almost astronomical at this point. They might as well just create a cabinet position solely for that because it will take years to undo all of the damage he has caused here and around the world. They can call it the Secretary of Unfuckery.

Brilliant.  And I'm stealing it. 

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

It never stops with this idiot. The amount of stuff that is going to have to be undone starting next January by Biden’s administration is almost astronomical at this point. They might as well just create a cabinet position solely for that because it will take years to undo all of the damage he has caused here and around the world. They can call it the Secretary of Unfuckery.

Elizabeth Warren needs to be named to unfuck everything.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What?  Says he's going to take out DACA as well.  A road to citizenship... fraught with all sort of bullshit obstacles, I'm sure.  Like sharks with laser beams.

Holy Fuck!  The internal polls must be murder.

• Like 2