Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

55 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It won’t matter. They won’t get a SCOTUS review and ruling before this Congressional term expires in January. Trump will have successfully ran out the clock

Still, it is a good decision curtailing the scope of executive privilege/immunity. Or, more accurately, giving some strength/teeth to house subpoenas to other branches of government.

Edited by TwiceHorn

nevermind Thighland, Trump says "Vietnam" like Tracy Morgan does in that bit about his grandma talking about her son who was injured over there during the war.  

Meh, I don't really care about this one. Biden is devoutly Catholic, and there are tons of Catholics who will agree with trump on this one because he's a Catholic that dares to be a Democrat (i.e., he loves carving up infants on the weekend for fun). Its one of a billion reasons I left the Catholic church many years ago. They are the same as the rest of the large majority of American Christians, complete fucking hypocrites who cling to religion as a means of dividing us vs. them. And yes, I have found more and more Christians who are part of denominations that are not like this, but they are a tiny minority from what I can tell. 

Catholics are same as general pop 44 (D) 37 ®
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

Catholics are same as general pop 44 (D) 37 ®

Yeah, I don't see Catholics as monolithic.  There's one strain, that I call the Opus Dei'y types (Kavanaugh, Mel Gibson, Escriva) that are pretty hard right, but there's a strong liberal tradition in the Catholic church.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I don't see Catholics as monolithic.  There's one strain, that I call the Opus Dei'y types (Kavanaugh, Mel Gibson, Escriva) that are pretty hard right, but there's a strong liberal tradition in the Catholic church.

Bill Barr is Opus Dei, for real. He's a monolith but that is just when he's standing on the scale.

Scales Of Justice Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures ...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Still, it is a good decision curtailing the scope of executive privilege/immunity. Or, more accurately, giving some strength/teeth to house subpoenas to other branches of government.

I agree. The cart went completely off the rails with everyone simply refusing to do anything. Between that and the whole 'crashing the gates' at the House Intel meetings (when reps from both parties are members) I was disgusted at how openly exposed both the tenuous nature of government and the charade its members play. Either they can take the branches of government seriously and act accordingly, or go home. I was naive enough to believe (in the past) that pols at least tried to keep within a moderate framework, balance, and scope (of power), so I think the decision was good.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Are we discussing Trump violating his signature trade agreement one month in?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/06/trump-canada-aluminum-tariffs/

Trump fucking up his own Trade policy is pretty far down the list after pandemic, sexual assault, tax fraud, bank fraud, election tampering, witness tampering, and secret police kidnappings. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, agreed. Given the slow nature of the courts, it’s a wonder why the House is too afraid of using its own enforcement powers of fining or jail for contempt 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I agree. The cart went completely off the rails with everyone simply refusing to do anything. Between that and the whole 'crashing the gates' at the House Intel meetings (when reps from both parties are members) I was disgusted at how openly exposed both the tenuous nature of government and the charade its members play. Either they can take the branches of government seriously and act accordingly, or go home. I was naive enough to believe (in the past) that pols at least tried to keep within a moderate framework, balance, and scope (of power), so I think the decision was good.

The breech of decorum and violations of their own oaths is a natural consequence of their echo-chamber-24-hour hate machine running for decades unchecked.   Their tolerance of vitriol coming from their constituents and media personalities only allowed this to grow.   When they cheered to arrest political opponents or tacitly approved this message,  they took the last step.    There is no bottom for them.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Many of latter types, in my experience, are less "devout" and less outspoken about their Catholic faith. There will always be the publicity of priests and even bishops who try to deny democrat politicians communion, and the Catholic Karens and Kens ostracize anyone in the parish who they know is a democrat voter and takes communion (because being a democrat is a mortal sin due to our love of throwing babies into wood chippers). The church also isn't budging on the evilness of the gays and more and more people are just seeing how fucking stupid it is to think gay people are deviants who are just acting funny to piss off jebus. Yes, my tone is what it is because I was in my mid 20's when I finally came to terms with the mental and emotional damage the Catholic Church did to me in my younger years (and I wasn't even molested by a priest, more self-loathing and depression thinking I was truly sick and evil for acting on sexual urges as a teenager and for refusing to think gays were evil). Sorry for thread drift, just things that get me riled up with the issue is raised.

23 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yes, agreed. Given the slow nature of the courts, it’s a wonder why the House is too afraid of using its own enforcement powers of fining or jail for contempt 

I think because the jailing is subject to habeas corpus without resolving the subpoena issue.  And fining leads to the same place, ultimately, a district court action to enforce the subpoena/contempt remedy.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Many of latter types, in my experience, are less "devout" and less outspoken about their Catholic faith. There will always be the publicity of priests and even bishops who try to deny democrat politicians communion, and the Catholic Karens and Kens ostracize anyone in the parish who they know is a democrat voter and takes communion (because being a democrat is a mortal sin due to our love of throwing babies into wood chippers). The church also isn't budging on the evilness of the gays and more and more people are just seeing how fucking stupid it is to think gay people are deviants who are just acting funny to piss off jebus. Yes, my tone is what it is because I was in my mid 20's when I finally came to terms with the mental and emotional damage the Catholic Church did to me in my younger years (and I wasn't even molested by a priest, more self-loathing and depression thinking I was truly sick and evil for acting on sexual urges as a teenager and for refusing to think gays were evil). Sorry for thread drift, just things that get me riled up with the issue is raised.

I spent a lot of time with Jesuit-educated Catholics in college.  They were uniformly on the more liberal end, and varying degrees of devoutness. The most liberal was also the most devout; he was also fairly debauched.

• Like 2

The Church has cost us all some quality pussy with its guilt deal.

Props to Catholic School girls who shake it off tho....when they rebel it is not a half-step rebellion.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Also, I'm sure most English-speaking people around the world say "Tanzaynia", "Nambia", "the United Szhtateszh", "Yosemight", and "Minionapolis".  🙄 

I don't know why every republican insists on pretending that the way trump says or does things is the correct way and that everyone else is wrong.  Truly a cult.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I spent a lot of time with Jesuit-educated Catholics in college.  They were uniformly on the more liberal end, and varying degrees of devoutness.

I did too, although outside of college campus, but rather living in Chicago during the summers.  Those Jesuits tend to be smart well-educated types.  Most of the ones I knew did their undergrad at Loyola-Chicago and were in my view sort of the Presbyterians of the Catholic faith.

The most liberal was also the most devout; he was also fairly debauched.

Yep.  Confession buys a lot of peace of mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I did too, although outside of college campus, but rather living in Chicago during the summers.  Those Jesuits tend to be smart well-educated types.  Most of the ones I knew did their undergrad at Loyola-Chicago and were in my view sort of the Presbyterians of the Catholic faith.

Yep.  Confession buys a lot of peace of mind.

The Jesuits are arguably the most roundly educated members of the Catholic faith. They're basically academics. I took a class at UT called The Bible as Literature which was taught by a former Jesuit priest. That dude was a motherfucking riot. He always said if you want to find a good racket, get into the Clergy. And then he talked about all the expensive wine and food they had delivered at wherever he/they lived in Philadelphia. Called rain God's Piss. Real interesting, philosophical cat. But whip fucking smart. And yes, all the Jesuits I've run into over the years (probably between 8-12) have all been highly educated academics. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Also, I'm sure most English-speaking people around the world say "Tanzaynia", "Nambia", "the United Szhtateszh", "Yosemight", and "Minionapolis".  🙄 

I don't know why every republican insists on pretending that the way trump says or does things is the correct way and that everyone else is wrong.  Truly a cult.

I have never once heard a native English speaker say Thighland. 

15 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

This is the price of a pardon 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, RPM said:

We need 3 or 4 parties. This us vs them bs is going to kill us all. The extremists are hijacking the parties. There are more moderates overall.

Yep, one party is working for maintaining and expanding the rights of Americans and the other for Corporations--so both sides.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

He literally says "thailand" 3 seconds after he says "thigh-land". Fucked up that Dinesh is calling Trump's second version crude lingo. 

Dr Fauci had a Jesuit education if I recall. When he first hit the news over COVID, there was a good article about his working with Larry Kramer, the late AIDS activist in the NYT, shortly after Kramer passed away. They became friends during the AIDS crisis and if you care to read it, the article is here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/health/larry-kramer-anthony-fauci.html

The article doesn't mention Fauci's background, but the more in depth article I read about the same time from the New Yorker does https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/20/how-anthony-fauci-became-americas-doctor

Fauci gets a lot of flack but I think he is a very fine example of a public servant and those who had a role in shaping who he is today should be proud of him.

Now, onto something Presidential. I believe the WH really needs to have this fine fellow in the Administration because he obviously can give the President advice, specifically on how to consume water....

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Woah, woah, woah. I thought Paula White was the President's Spiritual Advisor? Is she a victim of the revolving door policy too?

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Are we discussing Trump violating his signature trade agreement one month in?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/06/trump-canada-aluminum-tariffs/

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Trump fucking up his own Trade policy is pretty far down the list after pandemic, sexual assault, tax fraud, bank fraud, election tampering, witness tampering, and secret police kidnappings. 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

The breech of decorum and violations of their own oaths is a natural consequence of their echo-chamber-24-hour hate machine running for decades unchecked.   Their tolerance of vitriol coming from their constituents and media personalities only allowed this to grow.   When they cheered to arrest political opponents or tacitly approved this message,  they took the last step.    There is no bottom for them.  

What a page! It's just about all here.

The confluence of Idiot World, the hate engine, criminal enterprise, and international bumbling becomes a raging river of wrong.

I read the Washington Post story on the tariffs. I was finally moved to subscribe for their ridiculously cheap access to the internet and other goodies. 

Reading the article, I find the same tendency that we find on the unwatchable line-up of CNN opinion panel shows. The Post article weighs the tariff decision in terms of whether or not it's good policy for the US. Being an excellent news organization, they include key quotes from Canadians about what this could do to a number of economies fighting to come back from Covid.

The tendency is to look at the decisions of this president as one looked at the decisions of other presidents or government actors or even citizens. You'd like to think that most of the time these entities actually have the country in mind even when their positions are horribly wrong. W Bush almost certainly believed that attacking Iraq would be a good long term move for the US even if he had to lie about why we were attacking them. I've been wrong about positions that I've taken, but that's just because I can be an idiot sometimes.

But that's all gone now.

Trump doesn't know how tariffs work for the an economy or international trade, so there's no reason to pretend he has those things in mind when he acts. He only believes that tariffs make him look tough and good to voters. Looking good to voters keeps him in the money. 

In this upside down Idiot World, I can argue that his decisions about tariffs are not mistakes at all. They achieve exactly what Trump seeks to achieve. Discussing his decisions outside of that framework is a largely futile effort. It's habit and refusal to adapt to reality.

By not speaking about why Trump acts, analysis of his decisions and decision making becomes irrlevant. 

Trump murders a child and eats the child's liver because he's hungry and the audience wildly cheers him.

Well, let's talk about that incident. Dr. Harvard Professor, a leading economist, believes that eating that liver will not help the economy. The policy is a failure in that regard and very stupid on its face. Let's bring in some other reporters to repeat this opinion, and then get a GOP senator on to talk about anything other than presidential child-liver-eating even though every question is about child-liver-eating and it's impact as an economic policy. Then we'll hand off the feed to the next show with their own set of academians, journalists, and lying GOPs who will repeat verbatim everything we just said. All in a good day's work. Let's congratulate ourselves on our standards and hand each other awards while we do so. 

It seems that only we on the ledge will explore if it's a good idea to have a homicidal cannibal who doesn't care about the United States making decisions for the United States.

Every day that the news media have tried to maintain a normal facade on this shitshow is another day closer to the shit stack collapsing on all of us.

CNN Breaking News: Titanic pierced by iceberg. Cue Wolf.

The Titanic seeks to offer great luxury to their passengers, Dana. Were the kitchens damaged? 

No, Wolf. We're hearing that the wine storage is also secure and the first class rooms are all intact.

Thanks, Dana. We'll be back in a moment to discuss how this will impact the speed of the Titanic and we'll talk to some Eskimos claiming that damage to the iceberg could have economic impact on their community.

When the Titanic docks in New York, CNN will be first on the scene to interview passengers and the captain about how less luxurious the cruise was. Stay with us!

CNN Breaking News Crawl: CNN to air commercial message then return to this shit. Stay with us!

• Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

You missed the best D'Souza tweet.

I didn't realize it was possible to pack this much wrong into 280 characters.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We have always been at war with Oceania, I mean Oshina.

So close! But he never indicates he's made an error.

We have always been at war with Oshina...Oshansha...that shithole country hates me. They're never-Trumpers even though nobody's done so much for Oshananans. Not even Honest Ava...and Honest Abe. Abe Lincoln. Nobody knew he was a Republican before I found out. But the Oshananans. A lot of people didn't know that's what you call those people. Oshananans. Oh-shay-na-no-noons! They thought we were soft. They don't think that so much anymore...in Oh-she-anne-ee-ah.

[Red capped crowd goes nuts spewing Covids all the way to the rafters.]

15 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

You missed the best D'Souza tweet.

I didn't realize it was possible to pack this much wrong into 280 characters.

THere's no way the guy who tweeted that didn't smirk and cackle as he typed it out and hit send. Definitely a conscious troll. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

The Church has cost us all some quality pussy with its guilt deal.

Props to Catholic School girls who shake it off tho....when they rebel it is not a half-step rebellion.

Word. I was a fuckin' wild party girl when I had my first taste of freedom. Had to learn temperance and moderation from world experience, not the teachings of the fucking repressive church fucks who ironically preach temperance and moderation with a thumb firmly pressed down on you.

Did anyone else just get the NYT alert to the effect of "Russia continues to meddle in US election on Trump's behalf, intelligence officials say"?  

What

The

Fuck

How does this not warrant an immediate and harsh response to Russia and a massive investigation of the sitting president?  This country is so fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Did anyone else just get the NYT alert to the effect of "Russia continues to meddle in US election on Trump's behalf, intelligence officials say"?  

What

The

Fuck

How does this not warrant an immediate and harsh response to Russia and a massive investigation of the sitting president?  This country is so fucked.

russian disinformation doesn't warrant a warrant

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What

The

Fuck

Olga Lautman has been preaching this since May. No one is paying attention.

Speaking of Olga, she is a good source for what has been going on in Belarus. The tactics there sure seem familiar, I can't quite put my finger on it. Something about police ramming cars into protestors and Lukashenko's people grabbing citizens off bicycles in Minsk when they rode in solidarity to protest the jailing of two radio DJs.

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

No, but I heard Nichole Wallace report on it earlier. I also read this yesterday:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/doj-files-sues-ukrainian-oligarch-pushing-biden-disinfo-over-money-laundering

DOJ Accuses Ukrainian Oligarch Pushing Biden Disinfo Of Money Laundering Scheme

The Justice Department moved to seize the U.S. assets of a Ukrainian oligarch on Thursday who has sought to fuel the Trump administration’s quest for dirt about Joe Biden.

In two separate court filings, the feds accused Ukrainian oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky of stealing billions of dollars from a bank he co-owned and laundering the proceeds into the U.S.

Saying that Kolomoisky is “known for ruthlessness and even violence that inspired loyalty,” the Justice Department said that the oligarch and his business partner laundered the stolen money into an industrial and real estate empire they built.

A federal grand jury in the Northern District of Ohio has been probing criminal money laundering allegations around Kolomoisky since at least last year, and the civil action comes two days after the FBI raided the offices of Kolomoisky’s company as part of that probe.

It also comes after Kolomoisky launched a campaign last year to curry favor with Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani by helping spread negative and often false information about Biden.

Associates of Kolomoisky’s met with Giuliani in Kyiv in December 2019, offering the Trump attorney more supposed dirt on the Bidens and the Obama administration as a whole.

Earlier that year, Kolomoisky also texted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas a link to a press release issued by the same Ukrainians who have been hawking recordings of Vice President Joe Biden speaking with Ukraine’s president in 2016. Parnas forwarded the link to Giuliani.

Since then, Kolomoisky has continued to send out signals. After the tapes of Biden were first released, the oligarch formally requested that Ukrainian authorities open a criminal investigation based on them.

And like the other Ukrainians who have spread disinformation about the Bidens, Kolomoisky has a very clear axe to grind: Biden was one of the U.S. officials who pushed the Ukrainian government to nationalize the bank whose money he is accused of stealing via insider loan agreements and laundering into the U.S.

The scale of the December 2016 nationalization was huge at $5.5 billion, and threatened to destroy the Ukrainian economy if it went badly.

“The magnitude of the fraud and theft was so great that [Ukraine’s central bank] was forced to bail out the bank by providing $5.5 billion in order to stave off economic crisis for the whole country,” the DOJ filing reads.