Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I would literally vote for Wee-Bey over Trump.

Wee-bey took a meeting with an outside expert, considered his advice, and based policy on that advice that benefitted him none and helped his constituent against fierce pushback. He and Trump aren’t in the same galaxy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

I seriously don’t understand why they keep lining up to lick his boots. He turns on literally everyone the minute it suits him. Sessions was one of his earliest supporters and Trump literally ended his career and bragged about it the whole time. It’s mind blowing.

I think it's an ego thing.  You see powerful and near-powerful people fly too close to the sun (in all manner of ways) because they think it won't happen to them (too smart/wise/wily).  

Trump is running a campaign of keeping minorities out of white neighborhoods...as the President. Not the usual subtle ways politicians use by saying let’s be tough of crime, redlining, etc. He literally said I want to keep minorities from destroying suburbia. Wow

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Trump is by far the laziest most incompetent President the United States has ever seen. He doesn’t deserve the salary he claims he’s not taking. He owes the US for putting up with him and his family for 3 1/2 years. 

He could pay with his entire family business assets. Or just his death. Or both. 

50 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Trump is running a campaign of keeping minorities out of white neighborhoods...as the President. Not the usual subtle ways politicians use by saying let’s be tough of crime, redlining, etc. He literally said I want to keep minorities from destroying suburbia. Wow

It’s pretty fucking unbelievable when you think about it. Trump is probably the worst thing to happen to our government since McCarthy.

Shit has been getting crazier and crazier right? I mean, you can’t make half this shit up.

We are literally in a different dimension now...this is how psychological warfare works. We are getting our fucking ass beat. After the impending rigged elections and dotard win, what’s next? Minorities being shot in the open in suburbia? Or minorities taking up arms?

Neither is pretty.

12 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Shit has been getting crazier and crazier right? I mean, you can’t make half this shit up.

We are literally in a different dimension now...this is how psychological warfare works. We are getting our fucking ass beat. After the impending rigged elections and dotard win, what’s next? Minorities being shot in the open in suburbia? Or minorities taking up arms?

Neither is pretty.

That’s why many of us are going to bail the fuck out. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

@Johnny Sack appreciates that type of overt racism. He’s a church deacon after all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

his base isn't the smartest group of people, he has to be blunt with them 

• Hook 'Em 1

My little slice of the suburbs in far N Austin is kinda sorta diverse with the mix mainly from Asians. I’m genuinely curious about one of my neighbors. Every interaction I’ve had with them has been friendly. I recall during the Beto senate run, they had a Cruz yard sign. Now they have one for that sheriff in Williamson County. Really curious if they’re going to put out a Trump sign as Oct/Nov draws closer.

Edited by YChang

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Is this election for 6th grade class president? 

Seriously. And fuck them for using Electric Avenue...I highly doubt Eddy Grant gave them permission and he owns all his own music rights. They just take everything like it's their own and pretend they ever did anything on their own merit. Many privileges. So White. Like a doge. Taking from the black man with one hand and pushing all bleks down with the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, YChang said:

My little slice of the suburbs in far N Austin is kinda sorta diverse with the mix mainly from Asians. I’m genuinely curious about one of my neighbors. Every interaction I’ve had with them has been friendly. I recall during the Beto senate run, they had a Cruz yard sign. Now they have one for that sheriff in Williamson County. Really curious if they’re going to put out a Trump sign as Oct/Nov draws closer.

the fucking chinaman isn't the issue

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m on board now that Trump needs to win. It’s the only way to rebuild. We have to fully tear it down. 

Biden is not the answer. He will go 4 years with being blocked by the trumpers on anything reasonable and smart. Then the cycle will repeat with someone far worse than Trump (someone who is a psycho and smart - Trump is only 1 of those). 

37 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Huh? Satirizaton of what? You haven't read the book, have you?

The movie sucked. 

It really was satire of the genre. Like Blazing Saddles. But some people back then took it seriously, as if it was a tribute to Heinlein. It wasn't. Heinlein has some interesting views on the perfect military - but it was hard to know if he was making it political or just running with a premise for a book. The movie poking fun at Heinlein and SciFi as a genre. It was supposed to be more campy. But it came off as a teenage flick. The two lead female actors were talented in their roles. And I think younger women found the male leads competent for a fantasy movie. 

The movie is getting a second look by critics - since their reviews were so negative at the time. They missed the fact it was satire. I don't think many in the audience knew it was satire. But that is what it was. 

An article from VF in 2013 explains the mixup:

But those critics had missed the point. Starship Troopers is satire, a ruthlessly funny and keenly self-aware sendup of right-wing militarism. The fact that it was and continues to be taken at face value speaks to the very vapidity the movie skewers. [critics]

Starship Troopers is set in the distant future, when humankind has begun to colonize worlds beyond the borders of our galaxy. Earth has provoked an otherwise benign species of bug-like aliens to retaliate violently against our planet, which it suddenly and correctly perceives as hostile. Interpreting what are pretty obviously self-defense tactics as further gestures of aggression, humankind marshals its global forces and charges into a grossly outmatched interstellar war. The rhetoric throughout is unmistakably fascistic: Earth’s disposable infantrymen, among whom our high-school-aged former-jock hero naturally ranks, are galvanized by insipid sloganeering, which they regurgitate on command with sincerity as they head to slaughter. (“The only good bug is a dead bug!” is the chant most favored—shades of Animal Farm abound.)

The resulting film critiques the military-industrial complex, the jingoism of American foreign policy, and a culture that privileges reactionary violence over sensitivity and reason. The screenplay, by Robocop writer Edward Neumeier, furnished the old-fashioned science-fiction framework of Robert A. Heinlein’s notoriously militaristic novel with archetypes on loan from teen soaps and young adult-fiction, undermining the self-serious saber-rattling of the source text. Even the conclusion makes a point of deflating any residual sense of heroism and valor: We see our protagonists, having narrowly escaped death during a near-suicidal mission, marching back to battle in a glorified recruitment video—suggesting that in war the only reward for a battle well fought is the prospect of further battle.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/11/-em-starship-troopers-em-one-of-the-most-misunderstood-movies-ever/281236/

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

It really was satire of the genre. Like Blazing Saddles. But some people back then took it seriously, as if it was a tribute to Heinlein. It wasn't. Heinlein has some interesting views on the perfect military - but it was hard to know if he was making it political or just running with a premise for a book. The movie poking fun at Heinlein and SciFi as a genre. It was supposed to be more campy. But it came off as a teenage flick. The two lead female actors were talented in their roles. And I think younger women found the male leads competent for a fantasy movie. 

The movie is getting a second look by critics - since their reviews were so negative at the time. They missed the fact it was satire. I don't think many in the audience knew it was satire. But that is what it was. 

An article from VF in 2013 explains the mixup:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/11/-em-starship-troopers-em-one-of-the-most-misunderstood-movies-ever/281236/

You never read the book either, and neither did the author of that bullshit opinion piece. Robert Heinlein wrote a sci-fi classic called Starship Troopers. The movie by the same name ain't it. Not remotely. It's just a shitty, lowbrow shoot-em-up action film like dozens of others. And that's all it was intended to be. Show me where the director says he intended it as satire and I'll show you a colossal failure of a filmmaker. All he succeeded at was insulting a classic work of science fiction. (Not as egregious as the insult to Isaac Asimov that was I, Robot, but not that far off.)

I think your opinion is incorrect. I also believe in the death of the author, but here is what the film's director, Paul Verhoeven (Robocop, Showgirls, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Hollow Man—all very serious films) had to say.  https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jan/22/how-we-made-starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven-nazis-leni-riefenstahl

Robert Heinlein’s original 1959 science-fiction novel was militaristic, if not fascistic. So I decided to make a movie about fascists who aren’t aware of their fascism. Robocop was just urban politics – this was about American politics. As a European it seemed to me that certain aspects of US society could become fascistic: the refusal to limit the amount of arms; the number of executions in Texas when George W Bush was governor.

It’s an idiotic story: young people go to fight bugs. So I felt the human characters should have a comic-book look. Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon auditioned, but I was looking for the prototype of blond, white and arrogant, and Casper Van Dien was so close to the images I remembered from Leni Riefenstahl’s films. I borrowed from Triumph of the Will in the parody propaganda reel that opens the film, too. I was using Riefenstahl to point out, or so I thought, that these heroes and heroines were straight out of Nazi propaganda. No one saw it at the time. I don’t know whether or not the actors realised – we never discussed it. I thought Neil Patrick Harris arriving on the set in an SS uniform might clear it up.

I drew on the Normandy landings, too: there’s a certain retrograde aspect to the spaceships. Phil Tippett – the genius who made ED209, Robocop’s rogue robot – took care of the special effects. He’s extremely clever with movement: he made these arachnids so well-done and animalistic. Nobody else I knew could do something so difficult, with hundreds of insects in one shot.

There was so much regime change at Columbia Pictures at the time that we slipped through the net. When the executives finally saw it, they said: “Their flag – it’s a Nazi flag!” I said, “No … it’s completely different colours.”

But they moved it from a July release to September, because they thought Air Force One was more commercial. [Producer] Jon Davison said: “It will never make its money back.” He saw there was a problem with the American audience better than I had.

A Washington Post editorial warned Americans about the movie because, it said, it was made by two neo-Nazis: me and [screenwriter] Ed Neumeier. It helped destroy it, along with the word of mouth. It dropped 50% in the second week, which was unheard of at the time. With a title like Starship Troopers, people were expecting a new Star Wars. They got that, but not really: it stuck in your throat. It said: “Here are your heroes and your heroines, but by the way – they’re fascists.”

To call him a "colossal failure of a filmmaker" would be a really silly thing to say.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You never read the book either, and neither did the author of that bullshit opinion piece. Robert Heinlein wrote a sci-fi classic called Starship Troopers. The movie by the same name ain't it. Not remotely. It's just a shitty, lowbrow shoot-em-up action film like dozens of others. And that's all it was intended to be. Show me where the director says he intended it as satire and I'll show you a colossal failure of a filmmaker. All he succeeded at was insulting a classic work of science fiction. (Not as egregious as the insult to Isaac Asimov that was I, Robot, but not that far off.)

What is wrong with you? It is satire. It is obviously satire. We are talking about the guy that did RoboCop for fucks sake (who grew up in nazi-occupied Netherlands). 

Yes, there is no powered armor. Yes, it is only lightly related to the book. But it did satire the military worship and fascists elements found in the book (ahem, limiting right to vote to those with military service). If it makes you feel any better, the director just used the book to make the movie he wanted to make anyway (a satirical take on the "ideal" fascist state). Hell, they didn't even own the rights to book until after they started production.  

Seriously, stop being such an ass. You're wrong about this. So amazingly wrong that you're making Trump's lies look reasonable. 

Thus ends the detour. Sorry y'all.

Edited by Dahobbs

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What is wrong with you? It is satire. It is obviously satire. We are talking about the guy that did RoboCop for fucks sake (who grew up in nazi-occupied Netherlands). 

Yes, there is no powered armor. Yes, it is only lightly related to the book. But it did satire the military worship and fascists elements found in the book (ahem, limiting right to vote to those with military service). If it makes you feel any better, the director just used the book to make the movie he wanted to make anyway (a satirical take on the "ideal" fascist state). Hell, they didn't even own the rights to book until after they started production.  

I think it important to note that it is satire, but not satire of the original work except in the broadest sense.  The relationship of the film to the book is very tenuous.  Both of which you note, but it probably needs to be said point blank.

Would you like to know more?  Because I'd buy that for a dollar and drive off in my 6000SUX,

• Hook 'Em 1