Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

But what if it was a bowl of grape nuts?  No grapes, no nuts...about to become all shit.  What's the deal?  

Seriously, what were we talking about again?  

I actually had an interesting conversation this morning with some students at UT as I was lecturing.  Two African American students in particular, both of whom play for our basketball team.  They said (and keep in mind I am massively paraphrasing)...the issue with DEI (Diversity, Engagement, and Inclusiveness) is it focuses way too much on the D---the Diversity.  That's not the issue.  We have plenty of diversity in this country.  We have plenty of people of color, plenty of immigrants, plenty of religions, plenty of nationalities, sexual orientations, genders, etc.  We got that part down pat.  Our issue is giving those diverse peoples the tools to succeed with a seat that the table.  It's a subtle, but important distinction.  It really blew me away how they framed it.  Anyway, we are melting pot.  But we let the broth bullies control the pot.  That's gotta end.  

Sounds all nice and happy.

what is the prescription for solving alleged ‘accessing the dream’ in their estimation?

with regard to eliminating wrongful prosecution and ensuring EQUAL protection under the law, I am there.  Supportive.    What else?

Edited by slorch

Fuck. That video. Just total dismissiveness and condescension as Americans lose their homes and lives and officials practically beg for him to help. Not even pretending to listen. Or give a shit. Amazing that millions will continue to assert with 110% insistence that this guy loves America. And this cult worshipping such malice really shows the darkness of where we are. 

I get that it's California so now it's all us vs. them. But we have fallen fucking FAST not to be shocked by it.

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

Sounds all nice and happy.

what is the prescription for solving alleged ‘accessing the dream’ in their estimation?

with regard to eliminating wrongful prosecution and ensuring EQUAL protection under the law, I am there.  Supportive.    What else?

You're right about the first part, eliminating wrongful prosecution (and execution) and ensuring Equal Protection under the law.  Those are the foundations from which to start.  We have them on paper, but not in practice. 

Your second question about "what else/what is the prescription??"  Here's the thing, that falls on you...not them.  By definition, Engagement and Inclusivity...that responsibility lies with the folks that already have power and hold court.  It's on you, not them to decide how best to engage and include minorities in this country.  Minority doesn't mean lack of numbers, it means lack of power.  Though I am half minority myself, it's up to middle aged guys like you and I to figure out how to not bring people to the table, but how to keep them there and make sure they get to the head of the table.  Not because of quotas, but because it's kinda maybe a tad difficult to listen to shit from people like Trump's mouth and envision yourself trudging through miles of that bullshit to end up at that table.  Trump calls them "Animals" time and time again while tens of millions cheer him on. 

Yeah, we should probably shift the conversation of "do we have enough to people of color yet?" to "have we done enough to lift up people of color yet?"  Anyway, you'd have been very impressed with the way these young men posited and pivoted the conversation. One of them has a very well known personal story on one of our prominent athletics teams.  I'm as used to your schtick as you are to mine, but if you had said, "Okay, sounds all nice and happy" to him...you'd feel pretty shitty right about now.  But it's okay, we all have miles to go before we sleep.  Unlike most of the Trump folks on here, you at least seem willing to listen and grow.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, we should probably shift the conversation of "do we have enough to people of color yet?" to "have we done enough to lift up people of color yet?"

This.  We have to make deliberate efforts to go above and beyond.  I don't just want to see minorities get an education and a "good job."  I want them to end up in positions of relative power, places where they can exert real control over industry, law, and policy in positive ways.    To that end (and this is just an example), I'm working with an effort to support minority and first-generation potential law students.  Give them mentoring, give them an idea of what this professional world really looks like, give them something of a network before they even graduate law school, so that they can become leaders.  Yeah, lawyers suck, etc. etc.....but a shitload of them influence matters of law and policy.  So, helping minorities end up in those positions is one way to make a real difference.

It's not the only way.  But "we need more black lawyers" alone ain't it.  We need more minority lawyers who have some fo the same advantages and networks as a kid from Highland Park has, so those lawyers can end up in the halls of power too.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  We have to make deliberate efforts to go above and beyond.  I don't just want to see minorities get an education and a "good job."  I want them to end up in positions of relative power, places where they can exert real control over industry, law, and policy in positive ways.    To that end (and this is just an example), I'm working with an effort to support minority and first-generation potential law students.  Give them mentoring, give them an idea of what this professional world really looks like, give them something of a network before they even graduate law school, so that they can become leaders.  Yeah, lawyers suck, etc. etc.....but a shitload of them influence matters of law and policy.  So, helping minorities end up in those positions is one way to make a real difference.

It's not the only way.  But "we need more black lawyers" alone ain't it.  We need more minority lawyers who have some fo the same advantages and networks as a kid from Highland Park has, so those lawyers can end up in the halls of power too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Fuck. That video. Just total dismissiveness and condescension as Americans lose their homes and lives and officials practically beg for him to help. Not even pretending to listen. Or give a shit. Amazing that millions will continue to assert with 110% insistence that this guy loves America. And this cult worshipping such malice really shows the darkness of where we are. 

I get that it's California so now it's all us vs. them. But we have fallen fucking FAST not to be shocked by it.

I just saw it too.  I'm not shocked, but it does make me rage.  It's just such a childish response and demeanor.  The entire R party now does this.  One day they are going to catch a beating.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

that's a little too comical, even for my taste.  But the best part really is to start driving the point home to his supporters that, "You should still vote for him, wear his hats, put up his flags and yardsigns, plea with your family members to support him alongside you, etc."  But Lincoln shines a light on the fact, albeit not as strongly or as effectively as their other productions...at least stop sending him money.  The 500% match thing, the prosperity political gospel, that he's using his own funds to win, etc.  It's all bullshit.  I mean, stay passionate, forward his clickbait, watch his rallies, all that shit.  But stop sending cash.  It's a complete rouse.  It's not going to his campaign, it's going into people's pockets.  Virtue signal with flags or stickers, but don't send in hard-earned cash. 

There isn't really some benevolent right winger matching all this money at a 5x clip, Trump isn't really taking the proceeds from his massive successful business ventures to fuel this campaign race to the bottom.  You're just giving your money away to be grifted by people that aren't in positions to win anything from the White House to Senate.  They're literally taking 90 cents on the dollar at this point.  I think about my cousin who complains to me every month that they're having a hard time making ends meet with one child furloughed from work and another one at Texas Tech with very little financial aid.  And I see her name on the FEC roll, giving hundreds of dollars at a time to the Trump campaign.  There's got to be millions more like her.  They're not in a trailer smoking meth or anything, but they are certainly having a tough time making ends meet and they're sending this shitshow hundreds and hundreds of dollars each year.  And they think that it's all gonna come back to them tenfold.  But it's not.  None of it's coming back.  It's just more debt for them to take on, no good comes of it.  Go ahead and vote for him and tell us how great he is, I don't care anymore.  I ain't gonna talk you out of shit.  But at least stop with the donations.  They're not donations.  They're advertisements of your vulnerability.  And when he's gone from office, that list with your name on it is gonna get sold to the group that pretends they're gonna send you leather bound volumes of Trump's greatest presidential achievements.  And you're gonna buy that shit too with money you can't afford so I can get guilt-tripped into helping out with your kids' books and lab fees at college.  

That's not directed at you.  Or me. Or anyone other than Don The Con himself.  It's psy ops.

And I love that about them.  But somebody should attempt to shine a light for his donors sakes that shows them how little of their money actually goes to the campaign proper and defeating Biden.  It would be a separate endeavor but it’s just sad watching people I know and love pour money they can’t afford into this scam.   Again, I can’t talk you of voting for him or loving him; but for fuck sakes...save your money.  Particularly since Biden is gonna take it all.  Bwahahahah

48 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m just so tired of hearing his shit on a daily basis.  I can’t wait until he’s done and dusted.

The level of "fuck you I don't give a fuck" attitude displayed by  Trump, his entire administration and the GOP leads me to believe they are not overly concerned by the results of the election. And that is what keeps me up at night. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The level of "fuck you I don't give a fuck" attitude displayed by  Trump, his entire administration and the GOP leads me to believe they are not overly concerned by the results of the election. And that is what keeps me up at night. 

It's because winning the presidency was never his plan; his plan was to improve his entertainment career by using a presidential run to draw attention to himself [source]. Once the Democrats shot themselves in the ass by nominating someone for whom Charisma was their dump stat, he actually won, and suddenly decided that maybe he did deserve to be president (and of course, being in power is the original way to funnel money to yourself).

They're now doing the same thing they'd planned to 4 years ago. Boost their wallets and their post-election careers.

They don't care because actually being in charge was never the plan, and now they can get back to the actual plan.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It's because winning the presidency was never his plan; his plan was to improve his entertainment career by using a presidential run to draw attention to himself [source]. Once the Democrats shot themselves in the ass by nominating someone for whom Charisma was their dump stat, he actually won, and suddenly decided that maybe he did deserve to be president (and of course, being in power is the original way to funnel money to yourself).

They're now doing the same thing they'd planned to 4 years ago. Boost their wallets and their post-election careers.

They don't care because actually being in charge was never the plan, and now they can get back to the actual plan.

I wish I shared your view on this, which is a fucking pathetic admission in its own right. However with each passing week, I venture further out on Brisket's ledge. I have no idea how successful they will be, but my gut tells me dotard's plans don't involve someone else inhabiting the WH come January. Gonna be a shitshow until then. 

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I wish I shared your view on this, which is a fucking pathetic admission in its own right. However with each passing week, I venture further out on Brisket's ledge. I have no idea how successful they will be, but my gut tells me dotard's plans don't involve someone else inhabiting the WH come January. Gonna be a shitshow until then. 

Donald Trump wants the US to explode and for him to be king of his base. I kind of agree with Rimbo and you. With him it's a win win. Make it so miserable for the next person coming in that they'll never get anything done and he'll be looked at by his base as their savior. Then he can do and say what he wants however and on whatever platform he wishes. And on top of that create a following so loyal and willing to do ANYTHING, and I mean anything, that will push any member of his family to be able to do whatever they want, including being President if that's what they wish. He's sick and his family is sick for Power. 

21 minutes ago, Blotto said:

You are correct. 2016 was their last chance to cling to power with a changing electorate and set of values. They saw what the future held for their party. They weren't planning on giving that power back. Ever.

46 minutes ago, Blotto said:

putin is going to deliver FL. 2016 races had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many states decided by very slim margins. just switch around some numbers in the bigger counties and bam, trump wins. 

im not sure if this country can survive 4 more years of trump + a R senate 

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I think there's quite a bit to this.  Plus, I think a lot of GOPers have decided they probably weren't going to win their re-election anyway (or would no matter what), so if Trumpism extends it (and the grift), it's gravy.  See, e.g. all the resignations.

Remember, the ledge isn’t just about this election. Don’t get me wrong, I think that the chances are very high that it will be an utter shitshow and he will somehow “win.” But even if he is defeated, this “win” for us is just a metaphorical Battle of Midway: it doesn’t win the war, not even close. It just gives us the chance to not lose it all now, and to keep fighting. There’s still going to be decades of fighting Trumpism and fascism to go, to root out this poison that is killing us...and that’s an even tougher fight.

To be fair, he does support Russian troops over Americans, so that ad checks out.

Yep.

It’s perfectly on-brand.
  • Like 1

Wait. What?

It’s an allegation in a whistleblower report at the moment.

I truly pray that’s all that it is, that there’s an explanation, that the evidence doesn’t bear out to show that these allegations are what they are made out to be.

Because if they are, our government is engaged in crimes against humanity, and some people may need to face the gallows. I really don’t want my government to be engaged in such things. I’m serious, I pray that these allegations turn out not to be true.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2