Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

who really united conservative economic fuckwadery with conservative social fuckwadery.  the former broke the social contract wrt the economy by knocking down unions, pushing the burden of taxation further down the income/wealth curve, and eviscerating much of the regulation that had been put in place to protect the public in the prior couple-few decades from the worst of capitalism, while the latter tried to cling to some 1950s whitewashed notion of social structure with the trigger being school integration. 

Great but very depressing post, thanks. 

I'm sure it's pretty broadly fictionalized but the show Mrs. America that came out earlier this year tracked this pretty interestingly. Phyllis Schlafly, among others were able turn the Equal Rights Amendment (that seemed to have pretty broad bi-partisan support) into a political lightning rod. The series takes place from 1971-80 and I was taken aback about how in the beginning you have people like Jill Ruckelshaus, an outspoken feminist working for a GOP administration (Richard Nixon's of all people).  By the end of the series the moral majority has risen, Reagan is elected president and there is no room for anyone like Ruckelsaus in the GOP.

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

this speech is even more disturbing with the slow and comparatively emotionless delivery

he's on drugs. there's no other explanation. 

i mean, i know speaking to an empty room has got to be harder than working off the buzz of a supportive crowd.

also, he's clutching onto that podium for balance. he's also leaning heavily from side to side as he switches teleprompters.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Is that true?  Never knew that if so.

My favorite part of this story is the Union Quartermaster General Montgomery Meigs having his own son buried in Mary Lee’s rose garden and ordering that all burials afterward be done as close to the mansion as possible so that it could not be used as a residence again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Greed as a virtue.  The concentration of wealth/power and lack of concern for the wellbeing of our fellow citizens and environment. Nation of fuck you, got mine. 

There is no single moment.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is a great post.  

If I wanted to isolate the most devastating idea that caught fire and put America on the fast track to shit hole nation it has to be trickledown economics, which still has ardent advocates despite 40+ years of proven failure.

we shouldn't forget on the 50th annivesary of its publishing milton friedman's screed The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits, which gave intellectual cover to the fuck you got mine economic system. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

we shouldn't forget on the 50th annivesary of its publishing milton friedman's screed The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits, which gave intellectual cover to the fuck you got mine economic system. 

Can’t forget the 1971 Powell memo either. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Republicans went crazy when a black man got elected President. The end. 

You're not wrong, and it wasn't just Republicans. 

A guy I grew up with who I once considered a best friend was a lifelong establishment Democrat.  We'd occasionally get together and talk politics from time to time, and the last time we spoke he was supporting Hillary in the 2008 primaries.  We fell out of contact until he added me on Facebook three or four years later. 

The guy became a full blown birther and couldn't stand Obama.  I thought maybe he was just bitter that he beat Hillary and would eventually get over it, but no. Queue the last 5 years of his Facebook being little else but Trump memes, full blown "quiet part out loud" racism, and Qanon propaganda.  Obama broke his brain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

There are countless women he has assaulted. 
No one cares.

Now whatever happened to whatshername who worked in Biden’s office.

We should probably keep investing that assault. 
That just disappeared. Probably the deep state.

[Seriously, though, whatever happened to her / her allegation?]

Lucy Flores. Bernie supporter. It didn't creep her out when he put his hands on her shoulders.

IMG_20190331_183909.jpg

7 hours ago, Constant said:

How did we get here? Is there a singular moment where something shifted that allowed such a terrible human being to infiltrate the presidency? Was it the Palin fiasco that normalized some of this? For all her faults, she at least had a civic mind and governmental experience. When did everything break down and go to shit?

Reality TV is cheap to produce and Americans gobble it up because they are too stupid to tell the difference between fake reality and reality. Survivor set the stage for The Apprentice which fooled tens of millions of American voters into thinking Trump is the character he portrays on a scripted TV show, not the second-rate buffoon the rest of us have been watching for 37 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Probably because he was a sucker and a loser.

“He’s not even on a coin anymore....such a forgettable little general and president. Did he win the Baywatch award like I did? No! All he did was come up with a loser slooooogan: I Like Ike. I like Ike; who would say that? People don’t just like me, they LOVE me. We love you, Mr. President, that’s what they say to me. “

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Yes, unprecedented and certainly a stark remeinder just how shitty and dangerous this President is...

but something like this is impervious to the 40% Trump Base. 11 US Generals? It could 1,111 US Generals; wouldn't matter.

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Yes, unprecedented and certainly a stark remeinder just how shitty and dangerous this President is...

but something like this is impervious to the 40% Trump Base. 11 US Generals? It could 1,111 US Generals; wouldn't matter.

Perhaps it can matter enough for some of them to stay home.