Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I don’t think Trump understands how conservative-dominated TikTok is. His whole war on it might backfire.

I'm not surprised that conservatives would love Tik Tok. The depth of their knowledge, understanding, and worldview could easily be summed up in 10 seconds. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I understand wanting to have a "balanced" slate of possible subjects in our politically divisive world.....but why pick a fucking kid who shot three people?  I'm going to suggest that there are quite a few other possible people to admire on the right side of the spectrum who didn't shoot people.  Of course, this may speak to the utter philosophical brokenness of the modern right wing movement: there are no heroes who do anything FOR people, the only heroes are those who do things TO people, who punish them, exact retribution and suffering, etc.  That's what's worthy of admiration - hurting people.  That's it. 

My stupid Nextdoor community got all bent out of shape when the local third graders had an assignment that had the audacity to paint Obama in a positive light.  I don't think this Rittenhouse assignment was local (didn't bother clicking the tweet) because my BP is high enough already today, but I wonder if the neighbors would fly off the handle about it?  I doubt it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So, with the caveat that this is from FB, but the group it is on represented that it was vetted and discussed by admins.........Ivanka Trump is coming to town (this is public knowledge), and she has made a dinner reservation.....at Uchi.

Now, that's a tough spot for a restaurant to be in -- do you accept the request, and alienate people, or deny it, and alienate people?  I tend to not demonize a restaurant because they accept a reservation and say "we feed people, and that means all people."  Of course, I also wouldn't fault them if they also said "but not evil fucking nazis like her."

But here's the punchline -- she makes the reservation under a fake name (common), and the last name she chooses.....is hispanic.

It's a fucking joke to them.  It's like fucking Goebbels making a dinner reservation under the name of Moishe Horowitz.  Fuck these evil fucks.

Sir, does this mean that Anne Margarita isn't coming?  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

True enough.  Agricultural spending is a bit of a third rail.  But, I think there is clearly room for fine tuning ag spending that is far short of letting them fail.  

It's also a national security issue. Doesn't seem like one, but it is.

Kind of like how dum dums only now realize that medical supply manufacturing is a national security issue once a pandemic shows up.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Back on the specific topic, I could see tossing Rittenhouse into some kind of discussion of recent public figures.  What is this kid, where does he fit in?  Does he fit in anywhere? But "modern heroes" ain't it.

If you look at that list provided and give a charitable reading you can almost see where the teacher was coming from and the discussion they were hoping to generate. Framing him as "modern hero" is colossally fucked up and stupid. Putting options from the "other side" doesn't help either, it just makes it look like the assignment is some kind of "choose your fighter" bullshit. 

I'd probably also quibble with Gandhi being on the modern hero list considering he died 70 years ago so this teacher just may be an idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Strangely enough, this is actually true. To the extent that a grass roots of young conservatives exist they are doing their shit on TikTok 

Not just the young ones, but lots of older ones too.   And older people as well.   Lots of kids get on there hoping to get tiktok famous and roll that into being an influencer.  Banning it will take away their bit of fame and piss them off.  

I wouldn't doubt that part of his ire is fueled by the Conway family debacle.  Without their daughter getting TikTok famous and bringing to light shit in their home, Kelly Anne would still be on staff.   That girl also uses Snapchat and Instagram, but TikTok is the vehicle that brought her her widespread audience.  

4 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Not just the young ones, but lots of older ones too.   And older people as well.   Lots of kids get on there hoping to get tiktok famous and roll that into being an influencer.  Banning it will take away their bit of fame and piss them off.  

I wouldn't doubt that part of his ire is fueled by the Conway family debacle.  Without their daughter getting TikTok famous and bringing to light shit in their home, Kelly Anne would still be on staff.   That girl also uses Snapchat and Instagram, but TikTok is the vehicle that brought her her widespread audience.  

and sarah cooper.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Fake news. He's hiding in his basement. That's what many people are saying... right out of Central Casting.

And he won't come out because nobody likes him. He can't get thousands to crowd together without masks to cheer adoringly like they do for Trump. People like Trump a lot. They don't like sleepy Joe. Joe is sad because of this. He's a loser and a phony.

People love Trump enough to crowd to see him even after hearing he thinks they're disgusting and doesn't want to shake their hands. That's love.

We put our faith in the collective wisdom of the American people. 

spacer.png

Edited by RomaVicta

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So, with the caveat that this is from FB, but the group it is on represented that it was vetted and discussed by admins.........Ivanka Trump is coming to town (this is public knowledge), and she has made a dinner reservation.....at Uchi.

Now, that's a tough spot for a restaurant to be in -- do you accept the request, and alienate people, or deny it, and alienate people?  I tend to not demonize a restaurant because they accept a reservation and say "we feed people, and that means all people."  Of course, I also wouldn't fault them if they also said "but not evil fucking nazis like her."

But here's the punchline -- she makes the reservation under a fake name (common), and the last name she chooses.....is hispanic.

It's a fucking joke to them.  It's like fucking Goebbels making a dinner reservation under the name of Moishe Horowitz.  Fuck these evil fucks.

She did all for the Uchi.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Not sure exactly where this should go, but it's all a result of Dotard, so this fits. 

Rittenhouse? Sheee-it. We got better than that here in Texas. What? Rittenhouse killed two? Fuck that.

Our own Patrick Crucius gunned down a nice, symmetrical 23 killed and 23 wounded in the El Paso Walmart. That boy was from Allen, Texas.

We're the state of Charlie Whitman and Lee Harvy Oswald. Don't bring that weak Wisconsin shit 'round here. Sure, you got Jeff Dahmer killing and eating 16 people, but that's just sick. We're talking heroic here. An afternoon's work with body count.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I understand your point, and understand you mean no offense. However, at this point, maybe we're going to have to disagree on that one?

Women have been called a lot worse, I know I have countless times for damn sure, for simply politely refusing a man or even a male stranger's request/demand on the street for attention/words/sexual favors. So grabbing the word 'nasty' by the pussy and redefining what it means gives women (or at least me) some solidarity over the label. You (speaking collectively here) attack Yamiche Alcindor, Weijia Jiang, or Mary Louise Kelly for asking a pointed question in an interview and call her nasty, you're calling women who speak up or ask intelligent questions about policy nasty. If calling a woman 'nasty' takes on the persona of 'badass' then women eventually might decide to phase out its use when it ceases to have power over them but instead is owned by them. If one is comparing it to calling certain people deplorable, let's stop and think of the context of the usage of each of those words and whether the context matters. People might not stop and consider the context (if that's what you're saying), but when the powerful use names in a pejorative way, we recognize that it stings.

You're saying, don't use the word 'nasty' because no one likes 'nasty' anything, but I'm saying help the world change the conversation. Maybe it's not possible. I don't know. My ideas are not fully fledged on how to neutralize language in that manner. I'll consider your point of view, and maybe some others can weigh in w/o completely derailing the thread as I have done, but hey what have we got to lose?

hey, i think i get it. maybe i don't. one thing 2020 has taught me with BLM, and in previous years with #metoo, is that i simply do not know what i don't know.

but let me tell my own personal anecdote. my mom is my hero. she was a success in business during a time where being a woman in her industry meant being a secretary. that's where she started, as a typist. she worked her way up to basically "name my own price" role. she was elite, again, in an industry that was male dominated. when i was growing up, she would tell me stories about the men in her industry, things that shaped my character to this day. she described actually being chased around a desk by a boss. it seems ridiculous in 2020, but she worked from 1960-2005ish, so she saw some shit. hell, even in the twilight of her career, she had a boss trying to woo her (after my dad passed), and is probably why she was eventually let go. so while i'm just a stupid white dude, i have SOME perspective. 

and you have given me some food for thought. i've long defended black folks taking back the n-word. to me that feels a bit different, though, and let me tell you why. the n-word was a widespread denigration. the nasty moniker is basically orange hobgoblin talk. i would prefer that women move away from that and find a positive label. badass is fine. hell, even bitch might be fine. my mom proudly self-identified as a tough bitch. i just think giving the nasty moniker air gives trump supporters air. 

but again, you've given me something to think about, so thanks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I understand wanting to have a "balanced" slate of possible subjects in our politically divisive world.....but why pick a fucking kid who shot three people?  I'm going to suggest that there are quite a few other possible people to admire on the right side of the spectrum who didn't shoot people.  Of course, this may speak to the utter philosophical brokenness of the modern right wing movement: there are no heroes who do anything FOR people, the only heroes are those who do things TO people, who punish them, exact retribution and suffering, etc.  That's what's worthy of admiration - hurting people.  That's it. 

I think this may have been an outside of the box idea gone bad. What defines a heroic act? Who defines it?

I'm purely speculating, but I wonder if the teacher had included Custer or Lee the point could have been made. Rittenhouse is a hero to some. Discussing that in class would be interesting, but the political climate and the snapshot news make it difficult to pull off.

Or maybe the teacher is an idiot. Who knows?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think this may have been an outside of the box idea gone bad. What defines a heroic act? Who defines it?

I'm purely speculating, but I wonder if the teacher had included Custer or Lee the point could have been made. Rittenhouse is a hero to some. Discussing that in class would be interesting, but the political climate and the snapshot news make it difficult to pull off.

Or maybe the teacher is an idiot. Who knows?

Yeah, this occurred to me.  Maybe rather than trying to imply that RIttenhouse actually is a hero, maybe it was just an attempt to provoke the discussion with an outre example.  That he is the only one like that probably makes it unlikely.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, this occurred to me.  Maybe rather than trying to imply that RIttenhouse actually is a hero, maybe it was just an attempt to provoke the discussion with an outre example.  That he is the only one like that probably makes it unlikely.

Well, thinking more about it, it occurs to me that Malcolm X and even King were not heroes to everyone in their day. It may well be a very smart assignment being chewed to death by Idiot World. I hadn't noticed that the teacher included a victim of Rittenhouse when I posted the first time.

I'm getting the sick feeling that someone is about to be severely punished without any effort of understanding. I'd like to hear what the students think about it. 

Sadly, now this will likely just devolve into simplistic focus on the false premise that Rittenhouse was being labled a hero. It's sort of like when that activist put notices on businesses that blacks needed to move from East Austin. It was irony aimed at the problem of gentrification, but people all over the country didn't read past the headline, or, even if they did, the initial stories hadn't looked deeper.

Idiot World. Don't give me no fancy thinkin' to do!

• Hook 'Em 2

She got the idea from Ivanka's "Youth MAGA" rallies here in Austin on Wednesday.  

Say what you want about the Hitler Youth, at least they had the decency to make their family value set known to the rest of the community by wearing uniforms.  

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

hey, i think i get it. maybe i don't. one thing 2020 has taught me with BLM, and in previous years with #metoo, is that i simply do not know what i don't know.

but let me tell my own personal anecdote. my mom is my hero. she was a success in business during a time where being a woman in her industry meant being a secretary. that's where she started, as a typist. she worked her way up to basically "name my own price" role. she was elite, again, in an industry that was male dominated. when i was growing up, she would tell me stories about the men in her industry, things that shaped my character to this day. she described actually being chased around a desk by a boss. it seems ridiculous in 2020, but she worked from 1960-2005ish, so she saw some shit. hell, even in the twilight of her career, she had a boss trying to woo her (after my dad passed), and is probably why she was eventually let go. so while i'm just a stupid white dude, i have SOME perspective. 

and you have given me some food for thought. i've long defended black folks taking back the n-word. to me that feels a bit different, though, and let me tell you why. the n-word was a widespread denigration. the nasty moniker is basically orange hobgoblin talk. i would prefer that women move away from that and find a positive label. badass is fine. hell, even bitch might be fine. my mom proudly self-identified as a tough bitch. i just think giving the nasty moniker air gives trump supporters air. 

but again, you've given me something to think about, so thanks.

I appreciate your anecdote. I think my late mother and yours could have shared some stories. I also agree, that mostly the talk is coming directly from Trump, but it's not like he's grabbing that attitude out of thin air.

When we speak up and speak out and take the language for ourselves, we let each other know: we see you, we support you and more importantly, we see them and we're going to let each other know: Don't stand for it. Don't cower before it. Slay it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Well, thinking more about it, it occurs to me that Malcolm X and even King were not heroes to everyone in their day. It may well be a very smart assignment being chewed to death by Idiot World. I hadn't noticed that the teacher included a victim of Rittenhouse when I posted the first time.

I'm getting the sick feeling that someone is about to be severely punished without any effort of understanding. I'd like to hear what the students think about it. 

Sadly, now this will likely just devolve into simplistic focus on the false premise that Rittenhouse was being labled a hero. It's sort of like when that activist put notices on businesses that blacks needed to move from East Austin. It was irony aimed at the problem of gentrification, but people all over the country didn't read past the headline, or, even if they did, the initial stories hadn't looked deeper.

Idiot World. Don't give me no fancy thinkin' to do!

You're right.  I forgot that Rosenbaum was on the list too, which I did notice on first read, but then forgot.

Hmmmmm.  I think you may be right about an undue punishment coming down the pike for a teacher that was doing nothing more than being thought-provoking.

It's funny.  When I first saw that story/headline, I thought "what a fucking clod" (in reference to the teacher).  Then I read the story and was a bit more ambivalent, noting that there were a couple of ambivalent heroes on the list.  Then it gets resuscitated here and I'm more back to my original conclusion.

Also, I think maybe our criticisms should stop with "what a fucking clod" more often than trying to ascribe some political motive or moral shortcoming to certain actions taken in isolation.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Rittenhouse? Sheee-it. We got better than that here in Texas. What? Rittenhouse killed two? Fuck that.

Our own Patrick Crucius gunned down a nice, symmetrical 23 killed and 23 wounded in the El Paso Walmart. That boy was from Allen, Texas.

We're the state of Charlie Whitman and Lee Harvy Oswald. Don't bring that weak Wisconsin shit 'round here. Sure, you got Jeff Dahmer killing and eating 16 people, but that's just sick. We're talking heroic here. An afternoon's work with body count.

MXWu.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve seen enough educational outrage from the right to understand that we’re missing a lot of context. An assignment is usually given within the context of a classroom discussion. This could be a right wing teacher “indoctrinating” students, a ham handed attempt at “balance”, or a thoughtful assignment ripped entirely from the bigger context.

I’m a college professor. I’ve given out assignments that could be used to attribute all sorts of terrible political and social beliefs to me. If a teacher brings up critical race theory in the classroom, they might not be engaging in Marxist indoctrination. Likewise, if a teacher brings up this shooter kid as a modern hero (in certain circles he’s widely described as such), they might not be advocating support for his cause.

When you do these things, there’s a certain amount of trust that students (or their parents) will think deeply and not use you as ammo for their political cause. It’s important to teach students to think deeply and critically, so most good educators will keep doing this, but it carries some personal risk. You could face personal and professional repercussions for doing what you’re supposed to do.

Sometimes there’s a bigger perspective, sometimes you’re trying to teach students to consider various assumptions, sometimes you’re trying to reach critical thinking by challenging them in various ways, and sometimes you miss the mark. If we want a truly educated populace, we need to accept these risks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:
“Nobody even close.”

He's just trolling at this point. Has to be. No one can be this stupid

You can't view it from the perspective of a normally functioning brain.  It's not smart/stupid.  He's a narcissist.  He's surely orbiting close to sociopathy.  What you want to fit into a neat description that you've observed -- smart people, average people, stupid people -- it doesn't work with Trump.  Intelligence isn't his root problem.  Narcissism is.  He is mentally ill.  He believes what he says.  He rejects any conflicting evidence.  He's broken.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1