Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

lost in all of this is the absolutely great news that trump, once again, said the quiet part loud.

every other gop moron with half a brain would've answered the question, "of course, that's what makes america greater than any other country, that we hold free and fair elections, and we honor the results.  we are very pleased with our polling numbers, and i think you'll see come november, when we triumph, that there won't need to be any transfer of power."

then, you go and try to suppress votes and steal the election however you were going to all along.  but now it's out there that he's ready to fight the results.  so when the results aren't good for him, and he fights them, everyone will be ready, because he fucking told us he would do this.  obviously most of us suspected it already, but now it's a top story in the news and cnn can't stop talking about it.

this is the difference between a fuck like trump and a fuck like mcconnell or bill barr.  they do shady shit in the shadows, whereas trump can't wait to go brag about it.

and i'd be willing to bet that it came on the heels of such a discussion with barr or mcconnell about how to effect such a thing.

we really have evil homer simpson as president.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

While I agree with you the story is more complicated than that. A whole lot of LBJ buddies and supporters in Texas made a whole lot of money from the Vietnam war and beyond. Brown and root, bell helicopter, etc. 

He was a politician after all and a damn good one. But he made many mistakes his ownself when it came to that war. It wasn’t just thrust upon him. 

I'm not saying wartime pork didn't happen, but it always does. That's not an excuse either.

The war WAS thrust upon him. If he had won instead of Kennedy, things MAY... MAY have turned out very different. LBJ was more concerned with his Great Society than anything else. 

But this is a debate for a different thread.

Just now, RPM said:

I'm not saying wartime pork didn't happen, but it always does. That's not an excuse either.

The war WAS thrust upon him. If he had won instead of Kennedy, things MAY... MAY have turned out very different. LBJ was more concerned with his Great Society than anything else. 

But this is a debate for a different thread.

it is, but i took a whole course on vietnam at texas. that war started with ike, then kennedy fell into the same anti-communism trap with cuba, bay of pigs and cuba missile crisis, so it seemed to make sense at the time.

the war was absolutely thrust upon johnson. he was extremely transactional in achieving compromise, so it follows that he was willing to trade this new thing (civil rights) for that thing that's already kinda happening (vietnam).

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

it is, but i took a whole course on vietnam at texas. that war started with ike, then kennedy fell into the same anti-communism trap with cuba, bay of pigs and cuba missile crisis, so it seemed to make sense at the time.

the war was absolutely thrust upon johnson. he was extremely transactional in achieving compromise, so it follows that he was willing to trade this new thing (civil rights) for that thing that's already kinda happening (vietnam).

Absolutely. It was a very complicated high stakes chess match. It actually started with the French, then when they bailed we sent "advisors", but you know this story likely better than I do.

My point is if Johnson won the nomination over Kennedy, would the Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis, etc have even happened? We'll never know, but it's an interesting chess board to set up.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Gooby said:

Is this in theaters?  Streaming?  How would one go about seeing it?

good question.  looks like msnbc is showing it on oct 9th, but not sure where else it's avail.  it's at 88% on rt, not that anyone cares about that.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/msnbc-to-air-the-way-i-see-it-documentary-about-pete-souza-october-9-at-10pm-et-91166277587

for plaintext propagation, i defragged the huffpost uk article on the axios interview from the beginning of august.  it's unassailable content for contentious conversation.  use with relatives and friends.  be cautious with open propagation.  it's pure cognitive dissonance in it's most potent form.  fentanyl for the idiocracy..

+++

20200804 - Chris York - Huffington Post UK - 12:58 BST

Donald Trump Makes Bizarre Claim US Is Beating Coronavirus: ‘We’re Last, Meaning We’re First’

The president's latest interview is so wild it's difficult to believe it's not a comedy sketch.

After nearly four years of perplexing interviews with US president Donald Trump, the bar is pretty high for what qualifies as outrageous, jaw-dropping or even just plain mad.

Enter Jonathan Swan of American news site Axios, who not only managed to clear that bar but fly so far over it that even in 2020 his interview has still managed to prompt a general response of “omg is this actually real life?”.

Much of the interview covered the ongoing coronavirus pandemic which has so far killed more than 150,000 Americans – the highest death toll of any country.

In a particularly bizarre segment, Trump brandished pieces of paper while trying to convince Swan that his administration was winning the battle against the virus.

The president said: “Those people who really understand it say it’s incredible, the job that we’ve done.”

Swan replied: ”Who says that?”

There was no reply from the president. Instead, he continued to insist that other countries were faring far worse.

Trump: “If you look at this chart here, the United States is lower in numerous categories. We’re lower than... the world.”

Swan: “Lower than the world? What does that mean?”

Trump: “Lower than Europe."

Swan: “In what? Oh, you’re doing deaths as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about deaths as a proportion of population. That’s where the US is really bad. Much worse that South Korea, Germany, et cetera.”

Trump: “You can’t do that.”

Swan: “Why can’t I do that?”

Trump: “You have to go by the cases. The cases that are there.”

Swan: “Why not as a proportion of population? Look at South Korea – 51m population, 300 deaths.”

Trump: “You don’t know that, you don’t know that.”

Swan: “You think they’re faking their statistics?”

Trump: “I won’t get into that because I have a very good relationship with South Korea.”

At this point Trump rifled through his pieces of paper and pulled out another chart, saying: “Here’s one right here. You take the United States – we’re last. Meaning we’re first.”

It is not clear what the president was referring to.

It was just one of many mind-boggling moments. Other highlights included:

Testing

Trump has long insisted that the only reason the pandemic is so bad in the US is because they’re conducting more tests than any other country.

Aside from the patently false assumption that somehow coronavirus cases only exist when you test positive for them, the incredibly high death toll is evidence enough of the terrible situation in the US.

Undeterred, Trump once again picked up the theme of testing “too much”.

Trump: “There are those who say ‘you can test too much’. You do know that?”

Swan: “Who says that?”

Trump: “Just read the manuals, read the books.”

Swan: “Manuals? What manuals?”

Trump: “Read the books.”

Swan: “What books?”

The coronavirus test itself

One section in which the president did speak the truth, albeit it not to his advantage, was when he pointed out there was no test for coronavirus when he took office in 2016.

Trump: “When I took over we didn’t even have a test.”

Swan: “Why would you have a test? The virus didn’t exist.”

Trump: “We didn’t have a test because there was no test.”

On global warming and nuclear weapons

Trump: “Nuclear proliferation is a much bigger problem than global warming... in terms of the real world.”

On his comprehension abilities

Trump: “I comprehend extremely well, probably better than anyone you’ve interviewed in a long time.”

On the legacy of John Lewis, the Democratic congressman who dedicated his life to the civil rights movement

Swan: “How will John Lewis be remembered in history?”

Trump: “He didn’t come to my inauguration. He didn’t come to my State of the Union speeches. And that’s OK. That’s his right. And, again, nobody has done more for Black Americans than I have.”

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

These fucking reporters. The next reporter he called on should have said, "Why didn't you answer his question?" or "What are the peaceful protestors fighting for?" Every single one down the line.

Look, there are important stories about Ms. Markle we need to clear up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

These fucking reporters. The next reporter he called on should have said, "Why didn't you answer his question?" or "What are the peaceful protestors fighting for?" Every single one down the line.

Every single one down the line? It would only take one of them and he'd turn and walk out. We've seen it. 

While Trump's comments regarding the election has the buzz, I've been pondering some of the things he's hoping we're not talking about across America with our families, friends, neighbors, colleagues, and so on.

How's COVID going here in the USA?

How is school going for your family?

What about work? Are you employed?

Do you have housing right now? Can you pay your rent? Your mortgage? Are you worried about paying your bills? Being laid off?

How is that retirement planning going? Have you received your SS or prescription medication in the mail lately or has it been delayed?

Do you think he has a health care plan after he gets rid of your pre-existing conditions and Medicare in court?

Hows the weather where you are? Have you noticed some changes around the world? Know someone who's been affected by some of the more extreme weather events? Odd earthquakes?

What about Eric Trump? He's supposed to testify early next month having been denied a delay until after the election.

What about the Census? It's been forgotten, but it's pretty important when it comes to all sorts of things. The WH wants to shut it down early. Should they do that?

Why is the President avoiding discussing Russian maneuvers in Europe? Or the fraud election in Belarus? Or the bombing of explicit "no-strike" targets in Yemen after selling the Saudis weapons?

And on and on.

He hasn't really made America great, and I'm not interested in finding out what it's going to look like after four more years, are you?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Not a day goes by where Trump doesn't look like the little bitch that he is.  

It's shocking to me how many of our fellow Americans see this guy as somehow being intelligent or strong.

He's an ignorant, whiny little bitch failed businessman.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bookman said:

It's shocking to me how many of our fellow Americans see this guy as somehow being intelligent or strong.

He's a bully. Some people admire that quality. When the earlier chat was about LBJ, I couldn't help but think that LBJ could punch that man in the mouth with a closed fist and not break stride.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

I wouldn't make light of that with any person, even Sprig Delgado.

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

Sconce Bandana used steroids?

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

RIP Blam Gangreeno. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

We put our faith in Dan Bongino!

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

This tragic news about Doink Pastrami is so 2020.

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm still not sure, are y'all talking about Ding Dogboner?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, his brother Bang Tango.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Dwarf Buongiorno, we hardly knew ye.

• Hook 'Em 5

26 minutes ago, Bookman said:

In late 2015-16, my in laws hated the idea of Trump winning the nomination.  He was a blowhard con man, according to my FIL who felt Trump had no business running for president.  FIL was going to vote for whoever Team R had nominated anyway, for the idea of sitting out an election as a protest is absurd. 

By 2018, in-laws had completely changed their tune.  Not because they suddenly felt Trump changed, but rather, a steady diet of shit and the belief that   everyone was "picking" on Trump and it was "unfair".

Point being, Facebook & Fox changed my in-laws in 2 years or so.  Sure, they were Republican before Trump, but what they considered to be Republican/conservatism changed, and they just went along for the ride. 

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He's a bully. Some people admire that quality. When the earlier chat was about LBJ, I couldn't help but think that LBJ could punch that man in the mouth with a closed fist and not break stride.

Ghost LBJ has been fucking with Trump in the White House and it’s part of what is driving trump crazy and to shit himself. 

Normally you can only revisit people once from heaven but God said LBJ could fuck with Trump in the White House whenever he wanted to.  So he is. 

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's insane. He literally possesses not a single positive quality. He's a liar, a cheat, and a thief. He's weak and dumb as a rock. He's a con man, a grifter, a carnival barker, a snake oil salesman. He's petty and vindictive, holds grudges, calls names, and throws tantrums like a toddler. He embodies every cliche of the "ugly American" as seen by the rest of the world. He's rich, stupid, loud, arrogant, and abrasive, totally insensitive to anything other than his own immediate desires. He deserves nothing but contempt. I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone can fail to see it. 

They see it, alright.  And they love it.  He's just a more (in)complete version of them.  And he's the President!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

By 2018, in-laws had completely changed their tune.  Not because they suddenly felt Trump changed, but rather, a steady diet of shit and the belief that   everyone was "picking" on Trump and it was "unfair".

Funny. I'll bet they never afforded the Clintons anything approaching the same consideration. Their charity is real. Their books are open. But they're the ones who are corrupt, not poor, victimized, misunderstood Donald Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, RPM said:

LBJ meant well. He was looking out for the less fortunate. Unfortunately he was saddled with Vietnam and upholding Kennedy's legacy in a no win limited war. McNamara and Westmoreland led him seriously astray. I respect him for saying "fuck it" after achieving Civil Rights reform and trying to heal the country. He cared about his fellow man and those less fortunate. You better believe he suffered immense pain over the loss of American lives. He was a true Texan, not like these asswipes we have running things now.

This is the LBJ I remember.

original.jpg

He was 35 when that picture was taken