Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

Trump capitalized on a very unique moment in history.  There was a rebound effect from a black man being president and the Dems nominating a woman.  Obama was an in-your-face sign that Americans had collectively decided to take another step toward leaving racism behind; Hillary was a sign sexism was fading.  Not just Obama but all politicians not only didn’t pander to racists, they actively denounced them more than any generation of politicians had ever done.  Then Trump came along and spoke directly to the racists and sexists.  There’s a lot of sexists and racists.  Add in the single issue pro-life voters (which were motivated by the potential Supreme Court openings), the “burn it all down” crowd, and combine that with Hillary Clinton uniquely unsuited for the moment, and a threaded-needle electoral college outcome, and here we are.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And that government of the people, by Donald Trump, for Donald Trump, shall not perish from the earth.

I've been seeing electronic billboards flashing "Trump Nation" ads in Bucks County, Pa on the way home from work.  

Nah, motherfucker, I live the United States of America, not Trump Nation.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Trump capitalized on a very unique moment in history.  There was a rebound effect from a black man being president and the Dems nominating a woman.  Obama was an in-your-face sign that Americans had collectively decided to take another step toward leaving racism behind; Hillary was a sign sexism was fading.  Not just Obama but all politicians not only didn’t pander to racists, they actively denounced them more than any generation of politicians had ever done.  Then Trump came along and spoke directly to the racists and sexists.  There’s a lot of sexists and racists.  Add in the single issue pro-life voters (which were motivated by the potential Supreme Court openings), the “burn it all down” crowd, and combine that with Hillary Clinton uniquely unsuited for the moment, and a threaded-needle electoral college outcome, and here we are.

It wasn’t by accident and Trump wasn’t smart enough to figure it out himself. He had plenty of help much smarter than he is. Even if he didn’t really realize it. 

Know your enemy as well or better than you know yourself. Putin learned that lesson in the KGB and has applied it masterfully when it comes to trump and America. 

On 9/23/2020 at 4:23 PM, burntorangebongos said:

He must have something against Bumble Bee? Anybody know if they are giving their employees election day off or something? What did BB do to him?

And here you go:

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/24/tuna-protest-trump-bumble-bee-canned-food/

The day after President Donald Trump's campaign rally in Moon Township, Pa., I spent a portion of the afternoon calling a dozen grocery stores around the country and inquiring about their tuna sales. Most of those conversations revealed that those sales had spiked at the beginning of the pandemic — likely a consumer exercise in frugality and due to the product's shelf stability — but slowed to a trickle over the summer as production struggled to keep up with initial demand. 

We talked about the tuna market, in general. Sales have dipped 42% over the past three decades after a peak in the late 1980s. We reminiscenced about the 2018 Wall Street Journal article in which StarKist's Vice President of Marketing and Innovation Andy Mecs blamed the struggles of the tuna market, in part, on millennials and their lack of can opener ownership. 

Then came the final, absurd question, "Have you heard of any protesters in your community using tuna cans as weapons?"

A Minneapolis bodega owner probably gave the most reasonable response. 

"I . . . no — not at all. Why would you ask me that?"

In a July 31 meeting with the National Association of Police Organizations Leadership, Trump said that protesters' weapon of choice was canned soup because it's "better than a brick because you can't throw a brick." During his Tuesday rally in Pennsylvania, he said they had scaled down to cans of tuna fish. 

"They throw it," he said. "It's the perfect weight, tuna fish; they can really rip it, right? And that hits you. No, it's true. Bumble Bee brand tuna. And you can throw that, you can put a curve on it, you can do whatever the hell you want."

It should be noted that there have been no media reports of protesters attacking police officers with cans of tuna. It's just another lie from a president from whom untruths are completely unsurprising, and in the realm of topics about which he has been willfully dishonest, this is definitely one of the more inane. 

It's interesting, too, that in his comments about tuna can projectiles, Trump name-checked a specific brand: Bumble Bee Seafoods. The San Diego-based company was vocally opposed to Trump administration tariffs against imports of Chinese tuna, stating that the action would be "devastating" for the company. 

As Neil Ramsden reported for Undercurrent News, a seafood industry trade publication in 2018, Bumble Bee CEO Jan Tharp wrote a letter to the U.S. Trade Representative about the potential implications of the tariffs. 

"We are very concerned with the proposed tariff on tuna loins and the impact that these tariffs will have on our supply chain, global competitiveness, and U.S. operations," Tharp said. "The proposed tariff on tuna loins will have a devastating effect on Bumble Bee given that our business model is to import tuna loins for further processing and canning in the U.S. by American workers." 

Bumble Bee did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether they felt Trump's comments regarding their products being used as projectiles by protesters were retaliatory, but it wouldn't be the first time the president has publicly disparaged a company for perceived slights against him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/24/politics/fact-check-rnc-robocalls-misinformation/index.html

Robocalls sent by Trump surrogates Kimberly Guilfoyle and the President's daughter-in-law Lara Trump are encouraging Republican voters to use absentee ballots to vote in November, calling them one of the "best ways" to support President Trump in November. 

Both calls attempt to draw a false distinction between absentee voting and other forms of mail-in voting. Guilfoyle's call goes so far as to claim the "radical left" wants to "confuse you" on mail-in voting and that "Democrats want to scare you away from voting absentee."

"Absentee voting and universal vote-by-mail may sound similar but could not be more different," says Guilfoyle. "Absentee voting is safe, secure and supported by President Trump. The radical left wants universal vote-by-mail, which is proven to be filled with fraud, abuse and mistakes." 

None of those assertions about vote-by-mail are true. 

Trump's daughter-in-law uses a similar script in her robocall, encouraging listeners to use the absentee ballot sent to voters from the Trump campaign, before accusing "radical Democrats" of playing politics during the coronavirus pandemic.

According to data from NoMoRobo, an anti-robocall protection app, the Lara Trump robocall, delivered via dozens of different phone numbers, was made 53.8 million times across the US in September alone

The data shows that calls were focused on key battleground election states, including Ohio, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Florida. A large number of calls were also made into Texas and Virginia. 

Data for the Guilfoyle robocall was not immediately available.

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's insane. He literally possesses not a single positive quality. He's a liar, a cheat, and a thief. He's weak and dumb as a rock. He's a con man, a grifter, a carnival barker, a snake oil salesman. He's petty and vindictive, holds grudges, calls names, and throws tantrums like a toddler. He embodies every cliche of the "ugly American" as seen by the rest of the world. He's rich, stupid, loud, arrogant, and abrasive, totally insensitive to anything other than his own immediate desires. He deserves nothing but contempt. I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone can fail to see it. 

Four four years now I've wondered why his supporters would choose him to be the general of whatever culture war they're fighting. It's like they're actively trying to lose. Like if Texas had chosen to replace Charlie Strong with Frank Drebin.

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Normal administration.

Oh puhhhhhleeeeze. This is just rich coming from former Freedom Caucus head Mark Meadows regarding voter fraud considering his gerrymandered and voter suppressed district in NC. Topping that, WE  STILL LACK A QUORUM AT THE FEDERAL ELECTION COMMISSION and Trump appointee, James Trainor, who chairs the committee doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with that (it means they can't legally do anything) and is in the middle of giving interviews saying that the separation of church and state is a fallacy. He claims that the Constitution was written for Christians only.

On 9/22/2020 at 11:00 PM, Bama Chick said:

More pictures from the pro-Trump White Power hootenanny that the “lady” with the BBC face mask attended.

97ad97831ff8f07a4f31d7882b6c2fb4.jpg
f2f1e5e93dd7a1b9b508fd22a66d18d8.jpg
67e374368c2ad404480334e853e7f3b6.jpg
9fa31a830dad1c1067153a3cd518567e.jpg
c76c132f4c08e6b869966ff648792280.jpg
1b641b443b5a8fe7eeeb8fd75b53bde2.jpg
c0b767de58aaa9dfe643b94d6e65ffe2.jpg
e42f7f9d5894ffa80b2ac8ba5da9a2dc.jpg
8c55c2d8eb06251f251f2aca817dca64.jpg

I think it’s time for us white people to admit we’ve had a good run but too many of us are too far gone.

Check out the last picture of that fucking fat necked built of Crisco cop just yucking it up with those assholes.

And those people who survive on Sun Drop, Winston cigarettes, opioids, and pork rinds are supposed to be the master race and representatives of white power.

Donald Trump would actually run for the first time in 30 years if he had to interact with that bunch of genetic miscreants.

No disrespect, but if my political ideology was aligned with these folks I would take a good long look in the mirror.

Also, I am pretty sure it's time to turn the country over to a woman. Men, in general, have had a good run, but WE are the ones who are too far gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

The article from the original tweet is a 4 month article about the New Mexico PRIMARIES. And the voting was only up for Republicans in the primaries because of a competitive Republican primary for Senate. Trump is so desperate for positive election news that he’s quoting a four month old article about voting increases that he had little to do with. I know nothing is shocking, but damn. 

“We talkin Primaries?!?!?!” Allen Iverson

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Also, I am pretty sure it's time to turn the country over to a woman. Men, in general, have had a good run, but WE are the ones who are too far gone.

I'm fine with that, but I agree with @Bama Chick that women (or white women specifically) can be complicit with the existing power structure or if put into a position of power be as despotic or tyrannical as anyone else. That's the issue, really. That we have never quite grown out of the genesis of the ideal: that all are created equal. Instead, oppression of groups of people is setting the country on a course for a reckoning, that the hubris of those who cannot see the worth of others that is not based in dollars and cents but in their simple humanity goes down in history time and time again as a cautionary tale, not a heroic one.

I can certainly get behind notions of ceding power to women, POC, and other "minority" interests.

But this notion that some group other than white men would have achieved materially different outcomes, with less abuse of others, while being culturally dominant for nearly a millennium, is foolish.  It actually gives too much credit to ethnicity, gender, culture, and other superficialities, and ignores the fact that at the bottom, we're all human and subject to the same frailties.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I don’t think that is the basis for the suggestion.  No one is saying x gender / x race is inherently better at governing.  They are saying because of the history you describe, x gender / x race is better able to deal with the current situation. 

Agreed.  We are where we are and we can do what we can do.

But there is clearly an undercurrent to some of the discussions along the lines of what I suggested.  It's kind of akin to the current trashing of the Founding Fathers.  Yes, they had flaws, glaring ones, and they built some of them into this country.  But no one else was really doing it better at the time.  Others may have improved upon it.  And so on.

It's just kind of a thing of mine to try to analyze what went wrong and what could have been done differently and would anyone else really have done it a whole lot differently.  "It" being something more "macro" than individual decisions.  And any answer other than "probably not," tends to be infected with hindsight bias.

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I can certainly get behind notions of ceding power to women, POC, and other "minority" interests.

But this notion that some group other than white men would have achieved materially different outcomes, with less abuse of others, while being culturally dominant for nearly a millennium, is foolish.  It actually gives too much credit to ethnicity, gender, culture, and other superficialities, and ignores the fact that at the bottom, we're all human and subject to the same frailties.

That's essentially why I referred to it as a cautionary tale that has been repeated time and time again in history. The temptation for the oppressed to in turn become the oppressor is great  due to those same frailties plus a sense of righting a 'wrong.' The long term view is a very difficult path to take. One of the saddest episodes in our history is how wonderfully Black Americans embraced freedom and capitalism and began to buy land and create businesses, and participate in democracy post Civil War. And how whites systematically took that away. The former slaves had a long term goal of being fully formed realized Americans who lived worked and voted alongside other citizens. That was not too much to ask.

It isn't meant to be a jab at the founding of America, but people in power sometimes move the goalposts to keep that power.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

One of the saddest episodes in our history is how wonderfully Black Americans embraced freedom and capitalism and began to buy land and create businesses, and participate in democracy post Civil War. And how whites systematically took that away.

I heard an interview with Delroy Lindo about Da Five Bloods.  In it, he mentioned how, during Vietnam, despite all the shitty things happening to black men at that time and in the past, by and large, they loved their country and were proud to serve it.  And he said that it was vital to understand that to portray the men in the movie.

That is a recurring theme in the black American experience and it simultaneously flabbergasts me and gives me hope.  Hope for what, I'm not sure, but some kind of hope that there's some redemption in here somewhere.

There's got to be a pony in here.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No disrespect, but if my political ideology was aligned with these folks I would take a good long look in the mirror.

Also imagine your beliefs line up perfectly with the geniuses on TexAgs and not being alarmed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

As always, things that make you scratch your head.

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/25/trump-tower-hicksville-why-is-the-trump-campaign-sending-rent-checks-to-a-long-island-po-box/

President Donald Trump has charged his own campaign hundreds of thousands of dollars in rent for offices in Trump Tower for more than five years. But the campaign doesn't always send its rent to Trump Tower. In fact, most of the checks have gone to a post office box in Hicksville, New York, a suburban community on Long Island. It's not clear why, or who is receiving those checks. But experts say that the address may be of interest to Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance, who in a court filing earlier this week made his clearest statements yet about the scope and focus of his criminal investigation into President Trump's finances.

The Trump campaign has rented office space at Trump Tower, off and on, since Donald Trump first announced his candidacy in June 2015. Exactly how much space the campaign actually uses in the landmark Fifth Avenue building is unclear. FEC filings show that the rent started around $35,000 a month, then jumped over the $100,000 mark after Trump won the 2016 Republican nomination, before settling at its current rate of $37,541.67 a month, or about $450,500 a year. Sometimes the rent spikes, for reasons that are difficult to understand.

But while the campaign's payments go to Trump Tower Commercial LLC, the business operation behind Trump Tower  — and ultimately to Trump himself — they don't always go to Trump Tower. Federal Election Commission records show that most of those checks have been sent to P.O. Box 1926 in Hicksville, which is a suburban town in central Nassau County, just south of Oyster Bay on the affluent North Shore of Long Island.

The Hicksville post office box has been described by Trump money watchers as the "white whale" of Trump's financial dealings. It is, in a word, bizarre — even by Trump standards. (The campaign did not reply to multiple specific requests for comment.) It's unclear whether other Trump Tower commercial tenants, such as the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, for instance, send their rent checks to Hicksville, or if they pay at the building itself — as the campaign itself did, for a while.

In the early days of the campaign, however, it wasn't just rent — some of the Trump campaign's payroll also went through Trump Tower Commercial LLC, but apparently to a certain type of employee.

Spoiler

But even given that confusing history, FEC filings show that 2020 is turning out to be an exceptional year in terms of the destination of the Trump campaign's rent checks to Trump Tower Commercial LLC.

In 2015, 2016 and 2017, all rent checks all went to the Hicksville address. The rent payments stopped after September 2017, but resumed in 2018, the year after the Trump tax bill passed, and the same year that the campaign also took up offices in Rosslyn, Virginia. All rent checks in that year, 2018, went upstairs to the accountants in Trump Tower. But in the first half of 2019, the checks went back to Hicksville. Then, in the second half of that year, they once again went to Trump Tower.

The pattern grew even more erratic in 2020. This year, public filings show, the campaign has so far sent six of its eight rent checks to Hicksville — the two outliers being April and May, when the coronavirus ravaged the city and the checks went to Trump Tower, in Manhattan. 

Interviews with state income tax and commercial property tax experts familiar with the workings of New York city and state yielded bafflement: Comments included, "Totally bizarre," "No idea," "I've never seen something like that" and "Holy shit, that's absolutely weird."

Vance's announcement this week that his office is investigating Trump for criminal tax fraud and misrepresenting business records might throw the Hicksville mystery in a new light.

Vance is the district attorney of New York County, which is the same thing as the borough of Manhattan. He has no jurisdiction anywhere else. So if Vance is investigating Trump for tax fraud, he must believe that Trump defrauded Manhattan authorities in a unique way — through either school, income or property taxes. While New York state Attorney General Letitia James is also interested in Trump's taxes, she has not announced a similar criminal tax fraud investigation. And there is, as far as public records show, no federal investigation into Trump's taxes.

Hicksville is in Nassau County, about 30 miles east of Manhattan. If Trump attached the Nassau County address to Trump Tower payments that should otherwise have qualified for income, payroll or occupancy taxes in Manhattan, and did not make that clear — or actively concealed it, possibly with a second bank account — that, experts say, could amount to fraud.

Another possibility is that Trump is using the Hicksville address to hide portions of rent income, which could give him a property tax advantage in the city, where appraisers tie income to property value and tax.

Advertisement:

"Given the jurisdiction of the Manhattan D.A., a tax fraud charge makes total sense if manipulated rental income results in a lower real property tax assessment," a New York City tax attorney told Salon.

A corporate accountant told Salon that if Trump has expenses "that should be allocated to the Trump Organization, but are paid outside to another entity, like Trump Tower Commercial, less expenses means more income — so he could inflate the value to make himself look much wealthier than he is."

It turns out that the campaign didn't only expense its rent there. It also spent payroll.

In the 2016 election cycle, federal filings show, the Trump campaign paid then-candidate Trump's personal bodyguard Keith Schiller $2,574 a week, occasionally a little more. Trump would make those payments himself, routed through payroll at Trump Tower Commercial LLC in Hicksville, and the campaign would reimburse him.

Schiller, however, was unique. Trump had a number of Trump Organization employees on the campaign payroll at one time or another. Hope Hicks, for instance, or the Trump Organization's chief legal officer, Allen Garten. None of those people, however, were ever on the Trump Tower Commercial LLC payroll. Trump routed their campaign salary through Trump Payroll Corp., which he also owned.

When Schiller went to work at the White House, he told the U.S. government in his financial disclosures that he had been paid $160,000 a year by the Trump Organization. He also said the campaign had paid him $70,000, when campaign filings indicate he made much more than that. What's more, those filings also indicate that Schiller was not on the Trump Organization payroll, but specifically on the payroll at Trump Tower Commercial LLC.

This makes a difference. At the time, Trump Tower Commercial was owned by Donald Trump personally, according to his 2015 and 2016 financial disclosures. This is a unique thing in TrumpWorld: Trump Tower Manhattan (or Hicksville) was all his.

(Well, along with any "silent partners" in the four Trump-owned entities between which Trump Tower was split. One of those was an obscure entity called Tipperary Realty Corp., which is owned by Donald Trump but lists his son, Eric, as CEO. Nothing in TrumpWorld is ever simple, an insider told Salon, but if anything is strange, it's intentional.)

Schiller wasn't the only person the Trump campaign paid through Trump Tower Commercial payroll. FEC records show that Trump's longtime personal driver Noel Cintron — who sued Trump for years of unpaid overtime shortly after he took office in 2017 — also at one point took campaign money routed through Hicksville. So did Trump Tower security chief Bert Mentor. Notably, both Cintron and former Trump Tower porter Rakhim Urazov sued Trump Tower Commercial — not the Trump Organization — for their lost overtime, eventually settling out of court.

"It appears that Trump had only certain employees on the Trump Tower Commercial payroll, rather than the Trump Organization's," campaign finance and government ethics law expert Brett Kappel told Salon. "Employees like Keith Schiller, his personal driver, the night security guard at Trump Tower — employees in a position to know embarrassing and possibly incriminating information about Trump."

It could also be that the story of the wandering rent checks is no big deal. One corporate accountant told Salon that the location of the payments did not raise any flags for him, and that outside of misrepresenting income, the arrangement appears benign.

Trump could be actively trying to keep this one entity — his flagship building — clear of any dirt. If so, that would seem to require a lot of legwork.

New York City tax assessors consider income when they calculate the taxable value of commercial properties, making New York property tax filings resemble those of income taxes more than property tax filings typically do in other parts of the country. Trump Tower tax filings reviewed by ProPublica showed small discrepancies in terms of income.

"The whole thing is a lie perpetrated by Trump and [Trump Organization CFO] Allen Weisselberg, who concocted a method to defray the salary costs of the Trump Organization and shift them to the campaign, on the backs of donations from unsuspecting supporters," said a source with knowledge of the payment arrangements. 

It may be worth noting that Trump's infamous checks to former personal attorney and "fixer" Michael Cohen — reimbursing the $131,000 in hush money paid out to adult film star Stormy Daniels — weren't signed by Trump himself, but by Weisselberg and Donald Trump Jr. The president began writing those checks from his personal account only a few months into his term. Before doing that, however, he quietly gained access to the trust into which he had put all his assets, as a symbolic promise to the American people that he could be trusted.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I heard an interview with Delroy Lindo about Da Five Bloods.  In it, he mentioned how, during Vietnam, despite all the shitty things happening to black men at that time and in the past, by and large, they loved their country and were proud to serve it.

That is a recurring theme in the black American experience and it simultaneously flabbergasts me and gives me hope.

It does, when you think not only of Black Americans, but other groups throughout our somewhat short history who have been persecuted or pushed aside. It is one of the reasons the President's transactional motto of 'serve me, fuck you' is so very very stark in contrast. The patrician class in our country has always had that on their crests, but I believe most of them realized that, unlike Trump, there was more than a financial cost (Trump's everyone's got their price/blackmail exposure) to the privilege. One must have a fealty to the welfare of the 'servants.' That noblesse oblige and fealty is fragile and wholly managed by the upper classes who abuse(d) it often enough through a myriad of means, but it was a contract that much of white America seemed to approve. The Vietnam War and the draft (who was drafted vs who actually served) laid a lot of that bare, and yet the average American was still ten times more altruistic than the upper classes.

There are exceptions; assholes and twits exist everywhere in every demographic.

15 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It does, when you think not only of Black Americans, but other groups throughout our somewhat short history who have been persecuted or pushed aside. It is one of the reasons the President's transactional motto of 'serve me, fuck you' is so very very stark in contrast. The patrician class in our country has always had that on their crests, but I believe most of them realized that, unlike Trump, there was more than a financial cost (Trump's everyone's got their price/blackmail exposure) to the privilege. One must have a fealty to the welfare of the 'servants.' That noblesse oblige and fealty is fragile and wholly managed by the upper classes who abuse(d) it often enough through a myriad of means, but it was a contract that much of white America seemed to approve. The Vietnam War and the draft (who was drafted vs who actually served) laid a lot of that bare, and yet the average American was still ten times more altruistic than the upper classes.

There are exceptions; assholes and twits exist everywhere in every demographic.

Yes! And when my political mind goes into a dark place, I think about Asian Americans that are proud Americans, but we will forever have a sene of “otherness” attached to us. 

20 minutes ago, YChang said:

Yes! And when my political mind goes into a dark place, I think about Asian Americans that are proud Americans, but we will forever have a sene of “otherness” attached to us. 

It's pretty common to attach that 'other' label down to the smallest of differences (someone tell me again how high school football rivalries can get so out of hand as to have to have police at games?) but it is such a lazy way of being. Maybe it is because I am a child of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood that I took to heart his commonsense explanation of discovering what makes 'you' special.

On a slightly different topic, do any of you have Showtime? We don't, but I'd sure like to hear opinions if any of you happen to catch this show. First episode is on this Sunday the 27th I believe.

• Hook 'Em 2