Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

That Dan Alexander thread on Twitter is a great read. Over a billion dollars in Trump loans with rapidly approaching due dates are detailed. Insert Trump saying "i love debt, I'm the king of debt" here.

Debt? Never met debt. Don't know debt. Buncha FAKE NEWS around here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Trump is both a war dodger and tax scammer?

I'm shocked 

Don't forget, he's also beholden to foreign powers who have him by the financial balls.  When you owe someone $400 million, with no real way to pay it as it comes due, and they say jump, you don't even ask "how high" - you just jump like a motherfucker.

We have firearms and don't store them at the police station.  

And the police have tanks and all other sorts of shit.

And all weapons of private citizens, spread out over thousands of miles won’t mean jack shit against the American military if they decide to actually get serious about “dissenters”.

Letting Cletus and Geraldine keep their guns is just another way the government and people with actual power make us feel like we have some freedom and control.

If the American government ever really decided to put us down, those mythical armed militias would last a couple of weeks.

10 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

That Dan Alexander thread on Twitter is a great read. Over a billion dollars in Trump loans with rapidly approaching due dates are detailed. Insert Trump saying "i love debt, I'm the king of debt" here.

Yeah, really good read.  Roughly $1B at 5% means he needs $50M/yr just to cover the interest, never mind the ballon, which he probably thought he could refi at some point. His problem now is the commercial space in Manhattan has had a massive downgrade. 

i think if you get into the weeds on this tax stuff, you are going to lose the average American.

Boil it down, and hammer it.

Our president, who at least lives like a billionaire, paid either no taxes or $750 in taxes for several given years. People who make $75K a year know that is bullshit.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Steve Martin gave us a road map for this back in 1977, perhaps Trump was listening:

You.. can be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes! You can be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes!

You say.. “Steve.. how can I be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes?” First.. get a million dollars. Now.. you say, “Steve.. what do I say to the tax man when he comes to my door and says, ‘You.. have never paid taxes’?” Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: “I forgot!”

How many times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don’t say “I forgot”? Let’s say you’re on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, “I forgot armed robbery was illegal.” Let’s suppose he says back to you, “You have committed a foul crime. you have stolen hundreds and thousands of dollars from people at random, and you say, ‘I forgot’?”

Two simple words: "Excuuuuuse me!!“

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Foreign policy?

He had a struggling business which would be severely impacted by how seriously people took the COVID-19.  Hotels and resorts depend on travel.  

His financial viability was affected by what people believe about COVID.  He didn't want to cause panic.  

really good point. Whether consciously or unconsciously, his approach to any given national crisis is going to be filtered through the lens of how it would effect his business holdings.

Mark Cuban had a most excellent point back in 2016.  Trump was throwing his name onto anything that didn't move.  Bottled water, steaks, some bullshit "school," all number of things.  Cuban's point was that's not the move of a billionaire but the move of someone desperate for cash.  Now we know why.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Mark Cuban had a most excellent point back in 2016.  Trump was throwing his name onto anything that didn't move.  Bottled water, steaks, some bullshit "school," all number of things.  Cuban's point was that's not the move of a billionaire but the move of someone desperate for cash.  Now we know why.

Trump University settlement cost him $25 million, which is pennies compared to the overall total, but everything adds up.

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

maybe a really dumb question, but wouldn't the President have to pay taxes on his $400K salary?

how many people who make $400K a year pay only $750 in taxes?

1. He donates the salary.  Maybe. 

2. He makes money on things.  The problem is that he has losses that overwhelm any income.  The 750 per year was window dressing.  He actually deferred losses so he could say that he made money.  If he was playing it straight, he would have paid zero both those years. 

The only thing harder than making a billion dollars in real estate is losing a billion dollars in real estate.  

Somewhere Don Lapre is rolling over in his grave reminding us all that at his pre-trial hearing for real estate and stock fraud...he claimed he was nowhere near the fraud that people like Donald Trump were.  Turns out, Lapre was more right than we could possibly have imagined.  Maybe Trump will take the honorable way out like Lapre did.  

There's a Howard Baker moment in here somewhere when somebody in the Senate finally has to ask "Who the fuck does Trump owe all this money to?"  

The last illusion that he's been able to maintain is he understood and supported the working class/middle class American and was going to make their country, and all the opportunities that brings, theirs again.  That's it, that was the last thing.  That's gone now.  He's proven he's not a respectable C-I-C, he's not a brilliant foreign policy mastermind, he's not a great deal-broker, he can't lead through crisis (Covid-19 & Social/Racial Injustice Protests), he can't avoid recession, he can't make a billion dollars with $500mm handed to him, he can't avoid impeachment, he can't garner the respect of the other 270mm Americans who didn't vote for him, he can't avoid embarrassing himself, he can't lead any kind of moral life, and now---the last shoe drops---he can't even avoid fucking over the little guy to prop up his illusion.  

Trump supporters have to be absolutely humiliated this morning.  At least you could always tell yourself, "Yeah, he's a lying piece of shit...but he's giving me back my country and creating opportunities for me and my family."  But this tax news proves two things---1) fuck you and your feelings 'cause he's got a fake empire to prop up and it's gonna happen on your backs and 2) he never even knew how to create opportunities for himself.  What possible illusion do you have left to sell yourselves?

But Trump supporters will take this last straw, and all that piled on humiliation, and they will do what humans do when they are beyond humiliated.....they will either run home, lock the door, shut the lights off, and drink the bad feelings away.  Or they will lash out at those they feel are laughing at them. 

We got some violent days ahead of us and it's because of your guy and your feelings about how he didn't love you like he said he would.  Buncha crestfallen ex-lovers with AR-15's.  Great...this is gonna end well.  Battered Wife Syndrome much, team MAGA?  Good news is one of you Florida crazies is gonna try to cut his dick off, so we at least have that entertaining news cycle to look forward to in February.  

You know, when we were a young couple and paying off our loans and scrimping and saving we adjusted our spending accordingly. Maybe his supporters can support him AND the USPS by mailing him:

The Best Canned Beans | Real SimpleIt even has "great" on the label, what has he got to lose?

*although, we usually bought store brand over name brand. Some really good store brands out there.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I hope they hit before the debate tomorrow. That'll be fun to have a coked up trump in full tilt on national TV 

I'm going to assume a slow trickle to keep the hits coming towards the election. I think it's a shitty thing for a newspaper to do in general*, but they'll be "checking sources" until an opportune moment.

*I'm not canceling my sub to the NYT or anything, just wish they would get us the facts ASAP.

Edited by SimonBolivar

7 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Yea, we're not done yet. 

I'm guessing they documented how campaign dollars were converted to Trump Org dollars.  Illegally.  That's the only thing that makes sense to me for Parscale. And it ties into the Trump Org financial issues.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm legitimately not sure if I can bring myself to watch. I know I'm voting for Biden, nothing can possibly change that. Watching that trainwreck will be depressing as shit. I'm sure Trump will come unhinged and simply drift off topic every time he opens his mouth. Biden, who the fuck knows. Too fucking depressing.  Yet thats where we are as a country, so perhaps it should be mandatory punishment for all citizens to endure.  

One thing is for certain.  Both sides are going to claim a resounding victory. 

But in reality, we all suffer a crushing defeat. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You're right about one thing -- there are definitely bigger fish in those returns.  The fact that the president of the US has a giant personal liability to unknown persons is disqualifying.  He should never have been elected based on that fact alone.  In fact, I think a good piece of legislation (may have to be state-by-state) is a requirement that any candidate for president must disclose all debts he owes personally, gaurantees, etc.  All of them.  Down to the monthly balance on his Chevron card.

As for the fraud of consulting fees......back when I was in school, I helped out a family friend who had business interests in Mexico.   All I did was reconcile expenses and put them in the right account.  One evening, I was left with one check - a pretty big one - to a Colonel Gomez.  I went in to the boss, and asked him what account does this go to -- what is this for?  He chuckled -- "it's our monthly mordida -- what we have to pay to stay in business."  "Oh.....ok.  Do we have an account for that?"  He chuckled again  "yeah....consulting."

"Consulting" is one of the biggest red flags in any audit: IRS, private (financial controls), etc.

I am eagerly awaiting David Cay Johnston's take on the Times article over at DCreport.org.

As a follower of David's, none of this comes as news to me.  However, as Trumps own tweet says, the Times did not discuss assets.  I'm sure they had access to that side of the balance sheet as well.  Perhaps that shoe will drop later, but my own take on Trump and his finances is that he is probably a light billionaire even with all of the debt and that he has some good performing assets that he could easily liquidate to cover the Times reported debt.

I believe the really damaging info is in the MAZAR's working papers that Vance is trying to get.  Although the public will never seem them, if they get in front of a grand jury, I think at the very least Trump will be  indicted for criminal tax fraud and he will be exposed as a conduit for money laundering.

His opponents should hammer on the gratuitous deductions and the non-payment years.

There is fire when all 18 years under examination are reviewed in aggregate, but that is a more subtle argument that will no doubt be lost on many.

The good news is that there is now a long string of tax return info dating back to the 80's that can be examined in the open and it should yield some interesting conclusions.

Edited by Jiggy-Z
spelling

13 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm legitimately not sure if I can bring myself to watch. I know I'm voting for Biden, nothing can possibly change that. Watching that trainwreck will be depressing as shit. I'm sure Trump will come unhinged and simply drift off topic every time he opens his mouth. Biden, who the fuck knows. Too fucking depressing.  Yet thats where we are as a country, so perhaps it should be mandatory punishment for all citizens to endure.  

i'll probably follow it on here and on Twitter.  it's painful to watch debates these days.

"Mr. Biden.  Health care costs have exploded, and many Americans are without health care.  Can you explain your health care plan for the country if you're elected?  You have one minute."

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2