Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

It really is stunning that this isn't being explained on a thorough level.  I say that as I too have giggled about the Randy Quaid nonsense distraction.  

WTF isn't this getting more coverage? Can't Congress do something to stop this?

• Like 1

I don’t think OAN has official credentials. They attend presidential press conferences as ‘guests of the administration’ or something like that.

Hence why Chanel doesn’t have a seat and just stands along the wall with her coffee cup spouting off stupid shit

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

They probably want some new planes anyway.

The planes are made by Boeing. Defense Secretary and former Boeing lobbyist Mark Esper had been pushing for an upgrade to a newer model. I have no doubt that if Trump is dismantling the planes he's doing it to create an obstacle for Biden should he wants to rejoin the treaty. But if Biden does recommit then at least Esper's going to get his wish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There is no line for write in candidates in a Georgia runoff. It sort of defeats the purpose of a two person runoff. It’s like when Trump allies talk about him doing a network a couple of weeks before the election if he loses. Republicans try to suppress voter turnout in a variety of ways. This is one of them. Get enough Dems to think it is in the bag. Not saying it works, but it is proven that they try it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I am trying to focus it more on stressing how much happier and more at peace they were before political rage became their pastime.  

That gets met with pushback like “But I’m only like this because this is life and death!  I can’t just pretend it doesn’t exist and put my head in the sand!” Etc.  But ultimately I think it works better if you keep at it.  Their resistance to deprogramming is ultimately about ego and not admitting they were so wrong about something so central to their identity.  When you tell them they used to not fall for conmen, you’re telling them they used to be smart but now they’re gullible and stupid.  When you tell them they used to believe in honesty and the rule of law, you’re telling them they used to have principles but now they’re deplorable shitbags.  Neither of those is going to be received well.

If you tell them they used to be happy and now they’re making themselves miserable, you’re not casting their character in such a negative light.  In some ways it even appeals to their victim complex.  “Yeah - why shouldn’t I be happy?  I deserve that!”  They also have  an additional and more self-centered incentive to change (their own happiness) rather than the only incentive being other people thinking better of them - which they may not give two shits about. 

These people are almost uniformly angry and miserable almost all the time from what I can tell.  And some of them I can understand feeling left behind and bitter, but there’s a huge class of Trump voters that are really pretty comfortable but nonetheless just have negative energy about everything.  

It’s going to take awhile, but I just can’t believe it’s impossible to get people to decide at some point that it’s more fun to be happy than to make themselves miserable with rage and righteous indignation 24/7.  

there was a well-written article from a year or so ago about conversations like these.  they found, in most instances, that approaching people like this with logic and reason was a fool's errand.  that when confronted, even calmly and from a good place, the resistance increased.  the conversation actually strengthened their resolve.  they saw this as an attack, and defended themselves and their beliefs.

they're either going to figure it out on their own or they won't figure it out at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there was a well-written article from a year or so ago about conversations like these.  they found, in most instances, that approaching people like this with logic and reason was a fool's errand.  that when confronted, even calmly and from a good place, the resistance increased.  the conversation actually strengthened their resolve.  they saw this as an attack, and defended themselves and their beliefs.

they're either going to figure it out on their own or they won't figure it out at all.

My experience leads me to believe that the article you are referring to is absolutely correct.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

How he keeps people in his thrall I don’t get.  People side with him over generals?

I'm not sure we should worship generals either.  Plenty of dufus general officers.

But, until they have shown themselves to be dufuses, I think we should probably give them respect.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

EnmTYYZVkAE4wUX?format=jpg&name=small

EnmKazaW8AEd0UI?format=png&name=small

EnmT_-yVgAEcz_8?format=png&name=small

Parler is now deleting #WriteInTrumpforGeorgia posts.

This is one of the greatest things ever.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

God, I hope enough dumbshits do it to throw the runoffs to the Ds.

But there's probably no ability to write-in a candidate in a runoff.  Dammit.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My experience leads me to believe that the article you are referring to is absolutely correct.

I tend to agree.  But I think longhornmatt raises a potentially valid way to chip away at it and that is to try to disentangle their identity from Donald Trump and from politics more broadly.  Sure, it's important, but nothing to completely wrap yourself up in.

Edited by TwiceHorn

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

God, I hope enough dumbshits do it to throw the runoffs to the Ds.

But there's probably no ability to write-in a candidate in a runoff.  Dammit.

You think that's gonna stop a mean green MAGA badass with a badass pair of oakleys, some badass guns, and a badass pickup truck? He's just gonna sharpie all over that bitch and show the deep state who's boss.

Edited by Bevo14

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The planes are made by Boeing. Defense Secretary and former Boeing lobbyist Mark Esper had been pushing for an upgrade to a newer model. I have no doubt that if Trump is dismantling the planes he's doing it to create an obstacle for Biden should he wants to rejoin the treaty. But if Biden does recommit then at least Esper's going to get his wish. 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

That surveillance system has a redundant pair of aircraft behind it.  We're fine.  They're Lockheed-Martin birds, but they're just as good.  We're fine.  

Rachel Maddow spoke at length about his on her show Monday night. She touched on the main point of the program, but I don't think she had a great feel for the context. Also, she was focused on Trump not merely ending the program but ordering the planes liquidated.

I believe this program exists so we can share aerial intelligence with allies without revealing what our satellites are capable of, which has always been extremely confidential. The program presented allies with foreknowledge of military movements and was a deterrent to invasion. I doubt the US needed the plane surveillance but surely used it.

Maddow also reported that Trump had cut the request for replacement aircraft the defense department planned to contract.

Who benefits? Russia. They can get ready for expansion knowing their neighbors have limited intelligence.

Trump doesn't give a shit about anybody or any country. Now he's upset and doing as much damage to us and as much good for the Russians as he can. He's a punk who needs to be cuffed around the Oval Office and then literally kicked out the front door. Kicked hard with pointy boots.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Rachel Maddow spoke at length about his on her show Monday night. She touched on the main point of the program, but I don't think she had a great feel for the context. Also, she was focused on Trump not merely ending the program but ordering the planes liquidated.

I believe this program exists so we can share aerial intelligence with allies without revealing what our satellites are capable of, which has always been extremely confidential. The program presented allies with foreknowledge of military movements and was a deterrent to invasion. I doubt the US needed the plane surveillance but surely used it.

Maddow also reported that Trump had cut the request for replacement aircraft the defense department planned to contract.

Who benefits? Russia. They can get ready for expansion knowing their neighbors have limited intelligence.

Trump doesn't give a shit about anybody or any country. Now he's upset and doing as much damage to us and as much good for the Russians as he can. He's a punk who needs to be cuffed around the Oval Office and then literally kicked out the front door. Kicked hard with pointy boots.

Yep, I think this treaty was mostly about European/NATO security and maybe more in a symbolic sense than a real sense.

So, this is Trump lashing out at Europe for laughing at him and supporting Biden.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure we should worship generals either.  Plenty of dufus general officers.

But, until they have shown themselves to be dufuses, I think we should probably give them respect.

I used to have a very high opinion of generals.  Then I worked for a retired 3 star general who was a complete dumbass.  Now I'm quite positive there are at least a few who got promoted because they were good at shuffling papers and looking like they knew what they were doing.

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

8 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s just the oatmeal cartoon on steroids. So, Yes. 

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

ndawgs post above was nice as well. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just a quick reminder that Mike Pompeo graduated top of his class at West Point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, kevwun said:

I used to have a very high opinion of generals.  Then I worked for a retired 3 star general who was a complete dumbass.  Now I'm quite positive there are at least a few who got promoted because they were good at shuffling papers and looking like they knew what they were doing.

You worked for Mike Flynn?

Today is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. The President has no public events scheduled so I take it there will be no comment either in person or on twitter (not that I am surprised about this or anything). So, on behalf of women around the world I will leave this text taken from the former Vice President, and now President-Elect, Joe Biden on November 24, 2010:

Around the globe, violence against women is an epidemic. Violence robs women and girls of their full potential and causes untold human suffering.  Violence against women impedes economic development, threatens peace and prosperity, and inhibits full participation in civic life. For every woman who has been beaten in her own home, for the millions of women who have been raped as a weapon of war, for every girl who has been attacked on her way to school, for all of the children - girls and boys - who have witnessed this brutality, we must do better.  On this International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, we join with the world community in calling for an end to these abuses. Our Global Development Policy makes clear our commitment to investing in the health, education and rights of women. Today, we are working to reduce gender-based violence in schools, provide care for rape victims, and train health workers. The U.S. government is committed to continuing our efforts to respond to, reduce, and work toward eliminating gender-based violence worldwide.

Worldwide, may nasty women and the men who love them keep working to make the world a better safer place for all humanity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4