Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Obama What GIF

Ill let you expand on that, because outside of a pointless threat, I don't get it.  230 makes most of what we consider the goods parts of the internet work for lack of a better term.  If content providers (IE every website and app) have to consider liability for everything that's on it, almost all real-time content goes dark.  No one wants to stick their neck out for rando's posting something.  A newspaper comment section isn't very enjoyable, and that is what the internet becomes without 230. 

Post, moderator review, published post, reply, moderator review, published reply.  

Couldn't this problem be remedied by a time period restraint? Owner has X hours to remove questionable content before they can be penalized?

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Couldn't this problem be remedied by a time period restraint? Owner has X hours to remove questionable content before they can be penalized?

Is there a 5 second rule for libel anywhere else?  Even if that was a compromise to repealing 230, the burden is still on the content provider, not the owner of the content.  If I'm being vindictive and post something illegal on a sock, I'm not taking it down.  The goal is to make surly/Immamac deal with the pain..  If Immamac locks the website down to insiders only to reduce the chances of socks posting illegal shit, its a partial victory for my trolling.  Surly had to restrict access out of fear of liability for bullshit. 

Amplify that by millions for the big platforms like twitter, FB, etc.  Think of all the hashtag amplification or botting that drives up random bullshit and now weaponize it by spamming illegal stuff that forces those platforms to lock completely down.  Craigslist, Ebay, Etsy?  Same problem.  

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The answer might be something similar to DMCA takedown notices.  Except, rather than copyright material, defamatory material.

And it would be equally abused.  Dont like content?  Fire off a takedown notice regardless of its legality.  Content provider pulls it for review, troll wins.  

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

And it would be equally abused.  Dont like content?  Fire off a takedown notice regardless of its legality.  Content provider pulls it for review, troll wins.  

If content hosts wish to avoid those sorts of troll attacks, they simply need to have more stringent rules for users. Firstly lack of anonymity in signups. If you can't confirm your actual, legal identity you can't post here because you have to be willing to take responsibility for your content/actions. Secondly, disallow comments or moderation requests from unregistered users.

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

If content hosts wish to avoid those sorts of troll attacks, they simply need to have more stringent rules for users. Firstly lack of anonymity in signups. If you can't confirm your actual, legal identity you can't post here because you have to be willing to take responsibility for your content/actions. Secondly, disallow comments or moderation requests from unregistered users.

Short of having in person registration, enforcing lack of anonymity will be extremely difficult.  That’s why the legal burden will always fall to the content providers, and why 230 is so important. 

9 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I've long said that getting rid of internet anonymity would go a long way to solving a lot of the problems we see now with social media. You can't submit an anonymous letter to the editor in your local paper.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The responses are scary.  The implications of a national figures like Scott Adams appealing to the persecution complex of  a death zombie cult that is armed to the teeth and believes a civil war to be inevitable are troubling. 

Its about time Dems got their shit together.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I've long said that getting rid of internet anonymity would go a long way to solving a lot of the problems we see now with social media. You can't submit an anonymous letter to the editor in your local paper.

asked and answered

news comment sections were making you sign in by your facebook account for a while with that exact thought.  you had turds still posting turd stuff just as much.  i think it is more about diffuse society than anonymity.  

36 minutes ago, Llogg said:

That would be a great way for ID thieves to pull in a shit ton of ID information, or it would create an even better and bigger target when they start going after all of the larger sites that would have a shit-ton of real information.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That would be a great way for ID thieves to pull in a shit ton of ID information, or it would create an even better and bigger target when they start going after all of the larger sites that would have a shit-ton of real information.

so hold these platforms responsible for actually protecting the assets we entrust to them.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The responses are scary.  The implications of a national figures like Scott Adams appealing to the persecution complex of  a death zombie cult that is armed to the teeth and believes a civil war to be inevitable are troubling. 

And he's quote tweeting people calling him out so his morons gang up. It's really pathetic. 

19 minutes ago, Llogg said:

so hold these platforms responsible for actually protecting the assets we entrust to them.

Congress has little interest in protecting the data of American consumers - they could announce they are going to adapt a European GDPR model, and within minutes, lobbyists would force them to back down.  Even though the American people would benefit from such a model.  Instead, we get data breaches, the companies agree to pay whatever amount, the vast majority of which goes to lawyers or credit reporting agencies, and the American consumer gets a few bucks and a false sense of security.

Wouldn't matter anyways.  I can register a domain and spin up a VPS instance overseas within about 15 minutes, and have everything connected and software installed within an hour or two.  Faster if I am not doing other stuff.  For about $20 (including the domain registration).

Is this press briefing real life?

are these people this fucking evil? I just can’t understand how anyone supports. Fuck anyone who voted for this trash. Know that you are not a Christian or an American. You are fucking garbage. Fuck you - your time of judgement will come. 

• Hook 'Em 3

THE OBAMAS ARE PRODUCING A COMEDY SERIES ABOUT TRUMP BEING A GIANT F--KUP

Yes, in news that will assuredly send Trump into an unhinged tailspin once he notices it, Barack and Michelle are reportedly producing a comedy series for Netflix “based on the chaotic transition of power when Donald Trump became president in 2016.” The show, titled The G Word With Adam Conover, is a collaboration between the comedian and the former first couple’s Higher Ground Productions, based on Michael Lewis’s book The Fifth Risk, which was born out of a September 2017 Vanity Fair article. The book covers the historic chaos and mismanagement that occurred in the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, and Energy during the handoff between the administrations. While Obama team members had prepared briefing books for their successors, among the Trump people who showed up to fill the posts, of which there were very few, basically no one was qualified. (You may recall that Trump’s first energy secretary, Rick Perry, thought his job entailed overseeing the oil and gas sector, when it actually involved active nuclear warheads.)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/12/obamas-trump-comedy-series

^

At least, he's staying true to his usual messaging thematics.  "A lot of people are saying they're gonna get me in New York."  

Commander Dumbshit thinks, "If I don't set foot in New York again, they can't bring charges against me."  He thinks this is all a misunderstanding about parking tickets and if Axl Foley just uses his twitter account to interface with downtown, he can get it all taken care of from his office.