Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

Ok. Simple question:

Has the president actually enable the war time act thing (sorry don’t know the official name) AND has he actually directed companies to start to make medical supplies.

He keeps saying he has and he’s asked but he never gave any concrete details. 
It’s incredibly sad and disturbing that I have to ask bc I can’t get a straight answer... even in 2020 and even with the Google machine.

6 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Ok. Simple question:

Has the president actually enable the war time act thing (sorry don’t know the official name) AND has he actually directed companies to start to make medical supplies.

It’s incredibly sad and disturbing that I have to ask bc I can’t get a straight answer... even in 2020 and even with the Google machine.

you're not alone.

he said he had enabled it on tues or wed, but then the story came out that he didn't.  then he said he signed it, and has it ready for worst-case scenario, but then still hadn't actually put it into effect.  then today when asked, he acts like it's a silly question and gets defensive about it.

i guess the detail that matters is what the act allows you to do.  if you sign it, enact it, but then never actually follow through in redirecting private companies to help, then what's the point?  i would assume it hasn't been enabled yet, otherwise we would be hearing specifics.  i would imagine trump and the companies he instructs would love the pr of stepping up and saying it's actually happening.

i'm sure on monday we'll hear of some more squishing around about why nothing has happened yet.  but i only say that because that's what's happened with literally every other decision surrounding the containment and combat of the pandemic.  

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

you're not alone.

he said he had enabled it on tues or wed, but then the story came out that he didn't.  then he said he signed it, and has it ready for worst-case scenario, but then still hadn't actually put it into effect.  then today when asked, he acts like it's a silly question and gets defensive about it.

i guess the detail that matters is what the act allows you to do.  if you sign it, enact it, but then never actually follow through in redirecting private companies to help, then what's the point?  i would assume it hasn't been enabled yet, otherwise we would be hearing specifics.  i would imagine trump and the companies he instructs would love the pr of stepping up and saying it's actually happening.

i'm sure on monday we'll hear of some more squishing around about why nothing has happened yet.  but i only say that because that's what's happened with literally every other decision surrounding the containment and combat of the pandemic.  

From earlier today:

The President and Schumer spoke twice on the phone Friday morning. According to a readout provided by Schumer’s office shortly after the calls, Schumer “urged” Trump to issue an invocation of the law.

“POTUS told Schumer he would, and then POTUS yelled to someone in his office to do it now,” a Schumer spokesperson said in the readout (emphasis added).

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-schumer-defense-production-act

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

From earlier today:

The President and Schumer spoke twice on the phone Friday morning. According to a readout provided by Schumer’s office shortly after the calls, Schumer “urged” Trump to issue an invocation of the law.

“POTUS told Schumer he would, and then POTUS yelled to someone in his office to do it now,” a Schumer spokesperson said in the readout (emphasis added).

As it turns out, POTUS was alone in the oval office, and was just yelling at the bust of George Washington, so it's likely nothing has yet happened.  "This type of thing happens quite often", said an unnamed White House source.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-schumer-defense-production-act

you left out an important detail, but i fixed it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

People suffering, scared of the unknown and possibly not knowing where their children’s next meal will come from is foreign to Trump. And it shows in how he’s handling this crisis. He doesn’t know how to answer a reporter’s question without belittling them. The question by the NBC reporter was intended to give him the opportunity to offer some comfort to those people who are unsure, but as usual Trump takes it as a personal swipe. He is so unfit to be President. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

Jesus WHAT AN ABSOLUTE PSYCHO

It's because the reporter was basically asking him to show empathy and Donald Trump is just does not have that ability. Biden is pretty much made out of empathy. Trump better cancel the debates because Biden is going to destroy him in the Town hall. It'll be a lot like George Bush and Clinton in 92.

23 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

People suffering, scared of the unknown and possibly not knowing where their children’s next meal will come from is foreign to Trump. And it shows in how he’s handling this crisis. He doesn’t know how to answer a reporter’s question without belittling them. The question by the NBC reporter was intended to give him the opportunity to offer some comfort to those people who are unsure, but as usual Trump takes it as a personal swipe. He is so unfit to be President. 

I was listening to the The Press Box on The Ringer this morning, and the bolded is so true.  Their point is that Trump has been handed several breakaway, undefended dunk opportunities with questions like this throughout this crisis, and he keeps getting stuffed by the rim, or worse, he passes back to an unprepared teammate and blames him.  Luckily, Fauci knows Trump is going to miss the dunk and has been there in place to make the put back.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I was listening to the The Press Box on The Ringer this morning, and the bolded is so true.  Their point is that Trump has been handed several breakaway, undefended dunk opportunities with questions like this throughout this crisis, and he keeps getting stuffed by the rim, or worse, he passes back to an unprepared teammate and blames him.  Luckily, Fauci knows Trump is going to miss the dunk and has been there in place to make the put back.  

i said this at the time, but when asked on a scale of 1-10 how he rate how the admin was handling it, every single person in the room and on this board knew he would say 10.  but politicians in general, sensing a quotable/soundbite moment, would all reflexively say, "this isn't about keeping score, we can always do better, these are human lives we're talking about."

some people liked that he wasn't a politician, but not having that experience means he misses every possible opportunity to at least appear presidential, even when it's put on a tee for him.  instead he gets defensive and combative.  november is gonna be a fucking wipeout.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Ok. Simple question:

you can't brag about being a 'War Time President', unless you enable a war time act !!!

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Ok. Simple question:

He has not. The second he does he will have a press conference to ramble about it for hours. Seems like GM called him to offer up their services to make respirators, but that is not the same as him using the war time act, thats a favor not a demand. The second Kaitlain Collins asked specifically what companies he has directed under this act he changed the subject. His default setting is to lie.  

You could ask him at a press conference, "Mr. President, it's been widely reported thanks to your leadership that companies like Kramerica Industries, Vandelay Industries, and the Sanalac Corporation are retooling their facilities to make badly needed medical supplies.  What are your thoughts on that?" 

And he'd smile and say, "Yes, that's very true.  Great things are happening with those companies and others like them.  They're great companies, fantastic people over there...I've known Vandelay from my time in New York and this is fantastic news.  We more examples like this in this country."  

A journalist could honestly ask a question like that based on some inside joke from Seinfeld or what have you, and as long as it was peppered with praise for Trump, he'd totally bite on it.  Now that journalist would later worry that their credential would get pulled, but all they have to do is say, "Sorry Mr. President, that was based on bad background info we got on the story, provided to us by Peter Alexander."  And they'd be fine, and Alexander would fucking crack up, he'd totally go along with it.  

^ I posted something like that on the "no politics" thread, didn't mention any names.  And I'm currently at -7 rep and counting (and people are digging back 5-6 pages to leave those reps).  

That leadership can be separated from politics.  Both Bush after 9/11 and Obama after taking office in the '09 economic shitshow displayed valiant leadership.  If you didn't like their politics or their voter base, at least you were somewhat reassured by their tone and you felt like they were listening to every expert at the table.  What we are watching now is chaotic tantrum throwing.  And of course, as usual, his supporters can't see it.  I know this because most that I heard from today felt that Fauci was laughing with the president, not at him.  And then the incident with Peter Alexander.  If that's what leadership looks like to these people, is it any wonder they are going to follow this man down the abyss.  I regret now not having the vision to tap into this ability to exploit people simply by treating others around them like shit.  

a conspiracy theorist employed by oan asked a ridiculously xenophobic set-up question to allow trump to end yesterday's briefing with a 3 minute scripted tirade blasting low-rate, fishwrap journalism like the ny times, washington post, and wall street journal.  was this not the exact encore you expected?

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Both Bush after 9/11 and Obama after taking office in the '09 economic shitshow displayed valiant leadership.  If you didn't like their politics or their voter base, at least you were somewhat reassured by their tone and you felt like they were listening to every expert at the table.

that's the difference.  most presidents try to seem informed by listening to the experts.  trump tries to seem informed by convincing people he is an expert.

much harder job and he's really shitty at it.

• Like 8

Yeah, is there even one clip in all of Trumper internet-land where he's at the Cabinet Table or out at some facility somewhere or a press conference and he and an expert in that field are together and he actually corrects the expert with the right information instead of the other way around/or being totally wrong?  For a guy who prides himself on being an expert in so many fields, and for his base to believe that, I've honestly never seen him once state some fact up against another person's fact, and have him be in the right.  And I'm talking about facts, not bullshit opinion metrics like "many people" or "kind of like a flu", I mean shit you can actually measure.  I'm sure it's happened once in 3+ years, but I honestly can't recall one and I watch too much Trump content. 

Like after the hurricane, was there was meeting in the Cabinet Room where some meteorologist or FEMA hurricane director said something about how the hurricane could shift and Trump chimed in with, "Yes, but isn't it more likely with barometric levels dropping on the back side of the storm as it hits warm land...that the storm will stay on current course?"  And then the expert deferred to him?  I mean, have they even managed to pull off a plant version of that scenario that was rigged to make him look smart? I think he even fucked those up.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, is there even one clip in all of Trumper internet-land where he's at the Cabinet Table or out at some facility somewhere or a press conference and he and an expert in that field are together and he actually corrects the expert with the right information instead of the other way around/or being totally wrong?  For a guy who prides himself on being an expert in so many fields, and for his base to believe that, I've honestly never seen him once state some fact up against another person's fact, and have him be in the right.  And I'm talking about facts, not bullshit opinion metrics like "many people" or "kind of like a flu", I mean shit you can actually measure.  I'm sure it's happened once in 3+ years, but I honestly can't recall one and I watch too much Trump content. 

Like after the hurricane, was there was meeting in the Cabinet Room where some meteorologist or FEMA hurricane director said something about how the hurricane could shift and Trump chimed in with, "Yes, but isn't it more likely with barometric levels dropping on the back side of the storm as it hits warm land...that the storm will stay on current course?"  And then the expert deferred to him?  I mean, have they even managed to pull off a plant version of that scenario that was rigged to make him look smart? I think he even fucked those up.  

I do know his cabinet spends too much time going around the table telling him how great he is. Probably forced to do so by him. Have you ever been around someone that acts like they know everything and you're an idiot?

Medal of Freedom awarded:
giphy.gif

The man to whom such a medal should be awarded:
giphy.gif
Like sand in the hour glass, so are the days of our lives....

Man, I hope Fauci doesn’t get fired for this. Because you know Trump isn’t above sinking all of us out of spite.
  • Like 1

Just now, Brandywine said:

I do know his cabinet spends too much time going around the table telling him how great he is. Probably forced to do so by him. Have you ever been around someone that acts like they know everything and you're an idiot?

Which is exactly why I can't believe they can't even choreograph a moment like what I described where it's designed so he gets to one-up the nerdy scientist or progressive economist or whatever.  And to your last question-yes, I'm around people like that all the time. 

Years ago, Flag Officer in his 80's gave me one of the most important lessons I've ever gotten about communication and he never said a word to me about it.  I've just watched him countless times over the years in meetings together.  He's almost always the most important person in the room, but he hangs back and let's the people on the agenda, or the dais, or the executive committee or whatever do all the talking.  Then he waits while the first several questions are asked, hears the concerns, or the ideas raised.  And in a masterful stroke of Larry David-esque denouement, he raises his hand and calmly brings up some intel point from the information spewing portion of the meeting and marries it with one of the questions or one of the ideas so we can get action and data around an issue.  It lets the presenters know they were heard, it allows the others to know their ideas or concerns have merit, and without revealing his own agenda, he now has coalition.  And he then steered the ship to where it needed to go.  We all know somebody like that at work or on boards or whatever, but I don't think Trump does.  You can't be the "yeah, but..." guy if you never shut the fuck up.  

8 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

Jesus WHAT AN ABSOLUTE PSYCHO

"the american people are looking for answers and they're looking for hope and i refuse to give them any even though i was just lobbed a softball question in reply to which i should give them answers and hope"

dOiNg A gReAt JoB!

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Man, I hope Fauci doesn’t get fired for this. Because you know Trump isn’t above sinking all of us out of spite.

Would not surprise me. I didn't even know the contents of the conference today due to other work, but my spouse told me about it. He's not political other than keeping abreast of general news so I figured if he knew about it then ERRYBODY knows. The thing is, a lot of Americans have come to appreciate Fauci and while Trump has fired a lot of people, this one would hit people right in the healthcare and that gets pretty personal. I would expect others would try and talk him out of it, or push Fauci back in the 'situation' room so to speak.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

So what was it in that question that set Trump off? The numbers?

I find that odd, since every broadcast had the numbers on the side bar or lower bar of their channels.  For me, fatalities are much more disturbing in digital form/print than they are coming out of Pete Alexander's James Mason-esque voice.  No, I think first Trump was pissed before that at being a little upstaged up there and then Alexander used the word "scared" three times in his question.  That's a trigger word for Trump and his supporters who would put a "NO FEAR" sticker on the back of Marine One if it was logistically possible.  

Ok. Simple question:
My hot take:

He and his cronies are stalling on this until they can figure out how they can profit out of it.

3 minutes ago, plimon said:

My hot take:

He and his cronies are stalling on this until they can figure out how  which company will manufacture the meds so they can buy that stock early and profit out of it.

edited for accuracy

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

Trump frequently tells us that he's smart. A really smart guy, okay? 

Here's what I know for a fact after 43 years on this planet. No really smart person I ever met had to tell me they were smart. 

In fact, all the people I have met who have ever referenced their own intelligence were complete dumbasses. 

Counterpoint:  I'm a dumbass but I've never claimed to be smart in real life.

• Haha 1

Instead this administration spent the first two months of briefings thinking of this in terms of flu statistics, and acting like George Costanza when he finds out ‘only’ 51 people died on the Andrea Doria.  “I thought it was like 1000, 51 is all?  How many people do you lose on typical cruises, 30...40?”  

47 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Don is finished. His only shot at re-election was a robust economy come November. 

He’s going to drag this shit out and cancel the election.  All the deplorables just knew Obama was going to cancel the 2012 election and well, every accusation and stuff.

10 hours ago, pacman said:

Nobody plays the victim better than Trump and his supporters. Strange.

Because they have been victimizing others for so long, they know the role.  It's an art.  It starts with no empathy and no moral compass.  That's why the religion of christianity works well for them, because if there was anything written with more loopholes than the bible, I'm not sure what it is.

• Like 2