Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

He’s going to drag this shit out and cancel the election.  All the deplorables just knew Obama was going to cancel the 2012 election and well, every accusation and stuff.

I wasn't really paying much attention back then.  Were they really saying this?

When all is said and done, and if I am still living at that point, I will be looking for the graph or map that shows the 'blue' states such as California and how they fared with the COVID-10 response(s) as compared to the 'red' states despite having highly concentrated urban populations, homeless populations, etc. The map on the COVID thread comparing the Tennessee response and the Kentucky response was interesting and going forward, the data will continue to show what being positively proactive can do. Too bad Mr. Short-Term thinking is serving a looong four years.

• Like 2

Texas will be an interesting case study when this is (mostly) over.  The idea of Texas a big, rural state is a complete fallacy.  Within a year, the 2020 census will reveal that 90% (it'll technically be in the high 88's) live in urban/suburban areas.  6 of the 20 largest cities in the country are in that one state.  It also breaks several molds by way of racial/ethic demographics and age brackets growth/compressions.  Containment and testing have widely varied from region to region in our state, part of that is administrative fault but let's admit too---this is one of those times where being such a giant fucking state is a hindrance.  I'm glad it's not as bad here as many other states, but it will get worse here before it gets better.  

One thing's for sure, I couldn't help but notice not even Dan Patrick or Donald Trump has found a way to pin the spread of the virus in Texas on our unsecured 2,000 border with Mexico.  I mean, somebody will eventually try.  But it is nothing short of amazing how under control Mexico is, particularly given how much international travel from so many trouble spots (South America & Spain) goes into their capital city.  But all it will take will be one Mexican national traveling into the U.S., even with proper entry papers, who has the virus but doesn't know it for Trump to lose his fucking mind (more than usual).  And he'll go and do something truly stupid like take national guard personnel from hotspots and stick 'em at the border where they'll have jackshit to do for 6 weeks instead of back helping deliver meals and keep curfew.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Texas will be an interesting case study when this is (mostly) over.  The idea of Texas a big, rural state is a complete fallacy.  Within a year, the 2020 census will reveal that 90% (it'll technically be in the high 88's) live in urban/suburban areas.  6 of the 20 largest cities in the country are in that one state.  It also breaks several molds by way of racial/ethic demographics and age brackets growth/compressions.  Containment and testing have widely varied from region to region in our state, part of that is administrative fault but let's admit too---this is one of those times where being such a giant fucking state is a hindrance.  I'm glad it's not as bad here as many other states, but it will get worse here before it gets better.  

One thing's for sure, I couldn't help but notice not even Dan Patrick or Donald Trump has found a way to pin the spread of the virus in Texas on our unsecured 2,000 border with Mexico.  I mean, somebody will eventually try.  But it is nothing short of amazing how under control Mexico is, particularly given how much international travel from so many trouble spots (South America & Spain) goes into their capital city.  But all it will take will be one Mexican national traveling into the U.S., even with proper entry papers, who has the virus but doesn't know it for Trump to lose his fucking mind (more than usual).  And he'll go and do something truly stupid like take national guard personnel from hotspots and stick 'em at the border where they'll have jackshit to do for 6 weeks instead of back helping deliver meals and keep curfew.

More likely, a BP officer will give it to an asylum seeker who will be turned away and return to the tent city in Matamoros where it will spread. The BP officers have the funds to spend in the larger Texas cities where they are more likely to pick it up wouldn't you think?

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

One thing's for sure, I couldn't help but notice not even Dan Patrick or Donald Trump has found a way to pin the spread of the virus in Texas on our unsecured 2,000 border with Mexico.  I mean, somebody will eventually try.  But it is nothing short of amazing how under control Mexico is, particularly given how much international travel from so many trouble spots (South America & Spain) goes into their capital city.  But all it will take will be one Mexican national traveling into the (snipped)

What will happen when positive cases in our country hit 100,000 or so, Trump and his legion will say shit about other countries like "those numbers are low because they just don't test" or "it's fake news".

Mark it down.

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

He’s going to drag this shit out and cancel the election.  All the deplorables just knew Obama was going to cancel the 2012 election and well, every accusation and stuff.

Fortunately he can’t cancel the election. He can fuck shit up a lot like he’s doing now, but the election is done by the states.

If Alabama doesn’t want to participate because they are too busy sucking trump dick fuck them, they aren’t a part of it and it goes on anyway. 

He’s finished. 

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Which is exactly why I can't believe they can't even choreograph a moment like what I described where it's designed so he gets to one-up the nerdy scientist or progressive economist or whatever.  And to your last question-yes, I'm around people like that all the time. 

Years ago, Flag Officer in his 80's gave me one of the most important lessons I've ever gotten about communication and he never said a word to me about it.  I've just watched him countless times over the years in meetings together.  He's almost always the most important person in the room, but he hangs back and let's the people on the agenda, or the dais, or the executive committee or whatever do all the talking.  Then he waits while the first several questions are asked, hears the concerns, or the ideas raised.  And in a masterful stroke of Larry David-esque denouement, he raises his hand and calmly brings up some intel point from the information spewing portion of the meeting and marries it with one of the questions or one of the ideas so we can get action and data around an issue.  It lets the presenters know they were heard, it allows the others to know their ideas or concerns have merit, and without revealing his own agenda, he now has coalition.  And he then steered the ship to where it needed to go.  We all know somebody like that at work or on boards or whatever, but I don't think Trump does.  You can't be the "yeah, but..." guy if you never shut the fuck up.  

Show this photo to someone not familiar with what is going on and ask them to pick out the most important person in the room.

Obama_and_Biden_await_updates_on_bin_Lad

• Like 2

Deplorables.

White House Pushes U.S. Officials to Criticize China For Coronavirus ‘Cover-Up’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-house-pushes-us-officials-to-criticize-china-for-coronavirus-cover-up?ref=scroll

As the number of coronavirus cases continues to grow at a rapid pace in the U.S., the White House is launching a communications plan across multiple federal agencies that focuses on accusing Beijing of orchestrating a “cover-up” and creating a global pandemic, according to two U.S. officials and a government cable obtained by The Daily Beast.

“The United States and the American people are demonstrating once again that they are the greatest humanitarians the world has ever known,” according to the cable. “The United States stands ready to provide more assistance to China, if the Chinese Communist Party would allow us to do so.”

We should be all hands on deck addressing our current situation, but instead let's peel some people off so we can play the blame game. 

What a chickenshit piece of shit president we have. 

There will be years of time to look back on who's to blame. Right now we should be looking ahead. But that's scary, and our president is an unabashed coward. 

• Like 3

Some of y'all would really enjoy a brilliant Austin author, Christopher Brown's dystopian fictional think piece... "Tropic of Kansas"  It gets more and more prescient by the day, particularly given Covid-19.  He wrote it about 5 years ago before Trump was really a factor on the national stage but it certainly peppers throughout the book.  Just read the link, order a copy, and knock it out during the quarantine.  It is bone chilling and darkly comedic how much of his book is unfolding.  

https://www.amazon.com/Tropic-Kansas-Novel-Christopher-Brown/dp/0062563815

This last week plus this disinformation attempt with China plus him being a recluse the last several months and now suddenly he can't get in front of us enough...just read the book.  

On 3/20/2020 at 5:35 PM, TornACL said:

Trump frequently tells us that he's smart. A really smart guy, okay? 

Here's what I know for a fact after 43 years on this planet. No really smart person I ever met had to tell me they were smart. 

In fact, all the people I have met who have ever referenced their own intelligence were complete dumbasses. 

ok, now do “stable”. 

16 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It's a Cult of Shitocracy:

At first I was "how on earth can she say that with a straight face," and then I remembered the comments on other message boards about those ivory tower elites, grinds, nerds, etc and realized her intended audience is nodding their heads.

My poor poor children. What a world they live in.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, now do “stable”. 

I'll just say this. I run into someone in a parking lot who repeatedly tells me how stable they are... I'm putting my keys between my fingers and backing up back to my car. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

One thing's for sure, I couldn't help but notice not even Dan Patrick or Donald Trump has found a way to pin the spread of the virus in Texas on our unsecured 2,000 border with Mexico.  I mean, somebody will eventually try.

Did you watch the first half of the press conference yesterday?  It was all about keeping America safe from the dirty brown people at our border... never mind that there hasn't been such a case, or that Mexico should be a lot more scared of the virus making its way south, etc. 

All the brief clips that made the news yesterday were from Trump's absurd "you're a terrible reporter" tantrum, or Fauci's literal facepalm.  But the first half of it was numerous appointees stepping up to the mic and reinforcing 1)  "Thank you for your noble leadership, Mr President," followed by 2) "Yes, the dirty brown people are a threat to us."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/trump-coronavirus-response-will-be-his-toxic-legacy-970990/?fbclid=IwAR2OdTcClXWF-6MkSz9IYuBd9KJRk8AUF9N2nMB79ivVuit3S5k3cwbW7zY

His handling of this pandemic is how history will remember Donald Trump. Fifty years from now historians will not spend much time on Russiagate, Robert Mueller or Dirty Dossiers and alleged pee tapes, nor will massive tax cuts for the rich or the endless petty insults and the litany of lies make much of a mark. In a time of national crisis, the president is failing the most basic tests of leadership. He spends his time in front of the camera attacking the media, spreading disinformation and sowing racism. His response should come as no surprise. These have been the signature moves of his presidency and in normal times, these actions were bad enough, in a pandemic they are destabilizing and destructive.

Who could doubt that Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, Barack Obama or George Bush I and II would have struck somber and fatherly tones in the crisis? They would have attempted to soothe a country in distress and ease the minds of the people — to be sure, much of this would have been bromides. But it turns out, that’s a big part of the job. Trump has from day one completely abdicated the moral authority of the office, perhaps knowing intuitively that his moral compass was so hopelessly bent that it was pointless to try. It would be hard to underestimate the unexpected and deleterious effects this has had on the presidency. As we all isolate and seek shelter, to not have someone who is of good character at the helm only adds to the extreme anxiety, anger and coming heartbreak.

There have already been so many stories of heroism and bravery. Doctors, nurses and first responders struggle against a rising tide of patients and are themselves at risk. Sanitation workers, pharmacists, and grocery store clerks are putting themselves in harm’s way. Everyday Americans are doing vital work, despite the commander-in-chief lowering the bar of the most important job in the world. Never forget, Trump played golf as the number of cases surged.

Spoiler

We have seen what real crisis leadership looks like from Gov. Jay Inslee and Gov. Andrew Cuomo — both have been honest, blunt and at times inspirational. Trump is never that. It turns out in a time of crisis a conman is not up for the task. We have had terrible presidents before and will again, but unlike those who came before, Trump has shown us the worst of ourselves. The reflection is not pretty. How people react in stressful situations can tell you a lot about them, for the president to be so ineffectual and dishonest is damning. After the last few weeks, what sane person would want Trump in their foxhole?

There is no moment Trump can ever rise to, he only sinks to his most base nature. The record of his mishandling and deceptions about the COVID-19 virus are clear as day and exactly like how he handles everything else — only this time the scale is so monumental and the threat so critical that it can’t be swept away by the news cycle. For more than three years we have seen him blunder and rage from one drama to the next, some serious and deadly like abandoning the Kurds in Syria, some foolish like the size the crowd at his inauguration. Through it all, Trump consistently displays a smallness of character, a signature brand of toxic narcissism and a nasty mean streak; his only gifts being an instinctual understanding of his supporters and a mediocre talent to work a crowd like some cheap Borscht Belt comedian. That will not be enough in the face of a pandemic.

Trump knows this is how he will be judged. That’s why he’s growing so unhinged in public. He’s going to his familiar playbook and trying all his tricks. But a virus is not something he can insult or lie his way out of. People are dying. Our economy, seemingly so strong, cratered in a mere ten days. The virus is not Trump’s fault of course, but the dismantling of the pandemic response team at the National Security Council surely is. Ignoring the threat for months also rests on his shoulders. The nation is now on the brink, and how he handles the crisis is his test. It should be clear to all, he’s failing miserably.

This country has been through a lot in the last 20 years. We have faced terror attacks, mass shootings, environmental disasters and a financial crisis to name a few, and somewhere along the way we grew more divided, to the point where we can’t even agree on facts. We will get through both this virus and the toxic presidency of Donald Trump — but the road forward is treacherous and full of peril and there is no doubt we will never be the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/trump-coronavirus-response-will-be-his-toxic-legacy-970990/?fbclid=IwAR2OdTcClXWF-6MkSz9IYuBd9KJRk8AUF9N2nMB79ivVuit3S5k3cwbW7zY

Reveal hidden contents

We have seen what real crisis leadership looks like from Gov. Jay Inslee and Gov. Andrew Cuomo — both have been honest, blunt and at times inspirational. Trump is never that. It turns out in a time of crisis a conman is not up for the task. We have had terrible presidents before and will again, but unlike those who came before, Trump has shown us the worst of ourselves. The reflection is not pretty. How people react in stressful situations can tell you a lot about them, for the president to be so ineffectual and dishonest is damning. After the last few weeks, what sane person would want Trump in their foxhole?

There is no moment Trump can ever rise to, he only sinks to his most base nature. The record of his mishandling and deceptions about the COVID-19 virus are clear as day and exactly like how he handles everything else — only this time the scale is so monumental and the threat so critical that it can’t be swept away by the news cycle. For more than three years we have seen him blunder and rage from one drama to the next, some serious and deadly like abandoning the Kurds in Syria, some foolish like the size the crowd at his inauguration. Through it all, Trump consistently displays a smallness of character, a signature brand of toxic narcissism and a nasty mean streak; his only gifts being an instinctual understanding of his supporters and a mediocre talent to work a crowd like some cheap Borscht Belt comedian. That will not be enough in the face of a pandemic.

Trump knows this is how he will be judged. That’s why he’s growing so unhinged in public. He’s going to his familiar playbook and trying all his tricks. But a virus is not something he can insult or lie his way out of. People are dying. Our economy, seemingly so strong, cratered in a mere ten days. The virus is not Trump’s fault of course, but the dismantling of the pandemic response team at the National Security Council surely is. Ignoring the threat for months also rests on his shoulders. The nation is now on the brink, and how he handles the crisis is his test. It should be clear to all, he’s failing miserably.

This country has been through a lot in the last 20 years. We have faced terror attacks, mass shootings, environmental disasters and a financial crisis to name a few, and somewhere along the way we grew more divided, to the point where we can’t even agree on facts. We will get through both this virus and the toxic presidency of Donald Trump — but the road forward is treacherous and full of peril and there is no doubt we will never be the same.

I mean, sure, but this can be said about everything in his entire presidency.  This may be his biggest failure, but it's not his biggest con.  None of his bullshit should be forgotten or overshadowed.  This is the most important right now, but that doesn't erase the past 3 years of treachery, lies, deceit, and utter buffoonery.

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, sure, but this can be said about everything in his entire presidency.  This may be his biggest failure, but it's not his biggest con.  None of his bullshit should be forgotten or overshadowed.  This is the most important right now, but that doesn't erase the past 3 years of treachery, lies, deceit, and utter buffoonery.

The thing about this is that medical facts simply can't be spun into some credible-ish twitter post or sound bite.  No "seven angry viruses," no "crafty coronavirus."  Because of that, his con is more completely apparent.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The thing about this is that medical facts simply can't be spun into some credible-ish twitter post or sound bite.  No "seven angry viruses," no "crafty coronavirus."  Because of that, his con is more completely apparent.

Reality crept into his reality tv show and he doesn't know how to handle it. He's still trying to produce a reality tv show. 

Press briefing today at 4:30. (3:30 CST). I know some do not like to watch, but I've been catching them when I can. I do like to listen to the doctors. I also like seeing who the reporters are. OANN is muscling out the traditional reporters since Trump likes them. I wish NPR would send more 'nasty' women, but I don't know if they are allowing them a press privilege any more.

38 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Hopefully not a day late and a dollar short.  Even without using emergency powers, someone in his administration should have been hot on US industry to supply the shortfall weeks ago.

He's as useless as teats on a boar hog.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

this and the fact he can't stall it in courts.   

But you can see him trying to develop a fall guy, hence the Chinesevirus, and Obama's antiquated system, etc.  Just this time, none of it is sticking.  Probably because of pacing.  His bullshit is being covered over by real reports and information and he is being forced to share the spotlight.  Hence the daily briefings.  

A good part of his base don't watch these, they just have it on in the background.  They see him on a muted TV and tell themselves all is right with the world.  There's Trump again!  Right on top of this, in the middle of it.  Leading!  Look at all those experts around him!   

Appearances.  All it is on his part.  And they are conditioned to buy it.