Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

i think when you hear it, it's mushy in your brain, but we've been conditioned to his speech patterns and mannerisms. 

when you read it, however, it almost melts your brain out of your ears. 

holy shit, look at that nonsense.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Add science and most experts to that. It explains some of why they dig in harder. The idea can be extrapolated to a wide range of issues.

Do you want to see some really fun Russian Doll/snake eating tail shit?  Explain to a Trumpster that Trump and a number of his supporters (but, oh, not you) have Dunning-Krueger Syndrome, then explain what it is and what it means.  What you will see almost immediately is Dunning-Krueger Syndrome in action while this person attempts to immediately claim an understanding of, and talk in-depth about, Dunning-Krueger syndrome.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth.

I can't fucking take this shit anymore.  Between this and the broken brain word salad up thread, we are, without question, in a simulation.

53 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I am still not convinced of Lindsey being “compromised” mainly because almost any kompromat wouldn’t have much political consequence for him. He can just fake news that away or get Bill Barr to squash any investigation. 

I believe Lindsey is in it for the power, the access to power, and the influence he can have over power.  He has always been this way.  When he was a Trump critic, he was fighting for power against Trump.  All the books I’ve read on the Trump administration paint Lindsey as one of the few voices Trump cares deeply about, especially after the Kavanaugh performance.  Lindsey has never come off as someone that hates what he’s doing, he loves it.  He’s gained power under Trump too in becoming the head of the Senate judiciary committee. He was instrumental in installing Bill Barr.
 He’s as close to the inner circle as any Senator and he’s not going to do anything to jeopardize it.

If it takes a Trump, Lindsey will be a Trump.  He thinks he is closer than ever as the next President.  

32 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth.

Also, you know how you KNOW it's a lie (I mean, other than "it's words that come from this administration")?  If it was true....that statement would have been issued immediately after the uproar on Monday -- like by Tuesday afternoon a the latest.  This is them....after having three days to cook up a story....and the story they've got is "ummm....nuh-uh!"

One would think that one of the issues that Trump's base would really find abhorrent is the use of unidentified "military" personnel being set loose to keep American people in order. At least police officers wear badges and can be identified. The people that Trump and Barr are setting loose have no idea, no designations, nothing. Well, except for military-grade assault weapons. It's essentially the secret police. Seems like that would be a hard thing for the "freedom! rights! no government control!" believers to swallow. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This doesn't make any sense. So Trump was going to go out there and interact with the crowd for his photo op? Yeah that's believable. 

Full text 
Hello Charlie,

I am a pediatric cancer doctor and I study communication and ethical decision making in medicine. Yesterday, I realized that a central concept from my field can help to explain why so many appear to accept the president's lies: mutual pretense. The president has a relationship with his base in which he lies, he knows he lies, they know he lies, but none of them acknowledge the lie, because the lie provides them with stability and comfort. Recognizing mutual pretense matters, because attempts to shine light on the deception often lead to resentment towards the person shining the light. 

Mutual pretense was first discovered by Glaser and Strauss, two anthropologists who observed conversations between doctors and patients with cancer in the the VA in the 1960s.(Their first paper showed a breathtaking lack of bedside manner - see attached) In the 1970s, Myra Bluebond-Langner found the same thing in a pediatric cancer ward. (see her book, "The Private Worlds of Dying Children") For some parents and children, this mutual pretense was central to their relationship. It allowed each of them to protect the other and avoid a difficult truth. Most importantly, attempts to force the families to address hard truths often backfired on the physician, leading to decreased trust and greater frustration. I have known about this literature for years, but a recent encounter with a loved one suggested that a similar phenomenon is happening with some of the president's most fervent supporters.

Last week, I was talking with a loved one about COVID-19 and the real challenges we face as a country. As she laid out hopeful statements (hydroxychloroquine will prevent the disease, we will have a vaccine in the next few months, scientists will find a preventive medication soon), I continued to highlight the impediments to each of these hopes (hydroxychloroquine is a dud, vaccines take a long time to develop and often fail, preventive medication for 100 million people is hard to imagine). I also explained that the president is lying and failing to show leadership. My loved one did not agree (to say the least). After arguing back and forth for a few minutes, she raised her voice and nearly yelled, "Don't you think I know how bad things are? Don't you think I understand that we have a lot of problems? Don't you think I know all of this? I can't focus on these negatives all the time because I have to live somehow." 

Then it struck me - she knows the same things I know. She knows that that we are in a tough spot. She knows that hydroxycloroquine probably won't work. She knows that preventive medicine is probably a fantasy for the general population. She knows that the president is not being honest with her - but she accepts this deception because it helps her to cope. When I forced her to acknowledge these truths, her faith in the president did not waiver. Her relationship with me, however, was strained. 

If many of the president's faithful maintain mutual pretense with him, then how do we address his lies? While highlighting the falsehoods can help those willing to be convinced, this might actually drive the president's base closer to him. Perhaps the answer is framing the difficult news as reason for hope. Rather than focusing on the failure of hydroxychloroquine, focus on the multiple clinical trials that are a real source of hope. Instead of saying, "The president is lying about hydroxychloroquine," perhaps we can say, "I really wish the president would not focus on hydroxychloroquine, because it is distracting from other really promising clinical trials." We can frame his lie as an assault on a greater hope, a hope that acknowledges the harsh reality but promises to push toward better days. We never would have made it to the moon if we didn't realize how hard it would be. This approach might allow individuals to re-calibrate their goals and hopes. Whether this works is an empirical question, but nothing else has helped... Maybe it's worth a shot.

Thanks for your time.

Best,
Bryan Sisk, MD, MSCI

I think mutual pretense works beyond coping.

MAGA is rooted in racism. Trump voters know this. Trump knows that they know. But they make-believe that they don't know and Trump makes-believe that he believes that he doesn’t know, but knows that they know. Everybody knows.
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

This doesn't make any sense. So Trump was going to go out there and interact with the crowd for his photo op? Yeah that's believable. 

Didn't you get the memo: History is written by the winners.

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

I think mutual pretense works beyond coping.

MAGA is rooted in racism. Trump voters know this. Trump knows that they know. But they make-believe that they don't know and Trump makes-believe that he believes that he doesn’t know, but knows that they know. Everybody knows.

Agreed. Racism is what got him the nomination. When he started talking about the stupid fucking wall that's when he took off. It's manifested in a thousand ways since then.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, you know how you KNOW it's a lie (I mean, other than "it's words that come from this administration")?  If it was true....that statement would have been issued immediately after the uproar on Monday -- like by Tuesday afternoon a the latest.  This is them....after having three days to cook up a story....and the story they've got is "ummm....nuh-uh!"

They are incredibly stupid.  It's frustrating because on hand, we are lucky they are so dumb because they would fuck up way more if they were competent, but on the other hand, it sucks knowing that we are letting it all be destroyed by the dumb fucks.  Fuck.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I mean Barr sold his soul to the devil. Along with Cornyn, Cruz, Graham. The others were already far gone. 

Jesus Christ. "How do we address this problem Mr. President?"
"I'M DOING VERY WELL IN THE POLLS. THE ECONOMY WAS GREAT. CHINA VIRUS!".
"Um, ok. But the law enforcement problem..."
"SLEEPY JOE BIDEN!". 

Ahh, but the strawberries! Thats where I had them!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I mean Barr sold his soul to the devil. Along with Cornyn, Cruz, Graham. The others were already far gone. 

Are they really buying into it or is it rooted in something deeper? The Trump way of doing things is giving me a Scientology vibe. What they say is absolute truth, and if you leave them or speak up against them, they’ll fuck with your whole world and don’t have any limits.

• Like 2

Barr has been an agent of the dark lord for quite some time regarding Iran-Contra, federal sentencing. I can only imagine the conversations that goblin has had over the years. He may make the POG (piss on grave) tour along with Trump, Dick Cheney, McConnell, and Bud Adams.
  • Like 2

Are they really buying into it or is it rooted in something deeper? The Trump way of doing things is giving me a Scientology vibe. What they say is absolute truth, and if you leave them or speak up against them, they’ll fuck with your whole world and don’t have any limits.

The Scientology strategy of mercilessly harassing IRS employees is also rooted in Roy Cohn playbook of Total War in politics.

5 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I don't want to hear Brisket's real voice.  I prefer reading all of his posts hearing it in Gilbert Gottfried's voice.  It makes them much more impactful to me.

More like Paul Reubens

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Y'all bout to hurt my feelings.

Or, I mean, you would if I gave a fuck.

I wouldn't have replied if I'd have known the thread already had 2 pages of responses lined up to that.  

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Why do I get the feeling some blanket pardons are going to be thrown down if Trump loses on November 6?

Fuuuuuuuuuck that.

Edit: thought you meant by the incoming admin.  for sure he will pardon everyone he can.  can't pardon himself though.

Edited by Biff Tannen

5 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

GOP voters may start saying they no longer support him, and polls may say the same thing. 

GOP voters elected the most dishonest leader this country has ever had, by far,  at any level.   and they absolutely love Trump for his fundamental and compulsive dishonesty because they think that their guy constantly getting away with lying about everything is really owning the libs.   

so yeah, color me skeptical of any GOP voter who says they no longer support Trump, and any polls that reflect or suggest diminished support fro Trump among R's. 

granted, there are former R's who have are appalled by and have completely rejected the GOP in its entirety because of Trump, and those folks seem like a whole different category.  

21 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Then why did they clear out the church courtyard? Did that correlate with Trump's visit? If so, then why didn't the clearing out of the park? Fuck these gas lighting fuckbags. 

No, see, they cleared the park because the protesters were blocking the view.  It's a nice urban park, got some nature and critters and stuff that Donnie Two Scoops likes to see from the White House.  He issued a statement about it:

I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

And then they'll get sued and rush it through the appeals process to the SC and they will affirm it.

They gotta be careful.  The current exercise is giving people a lotta practice rioting n' shit.  Not sure that they want to set off a new round of outrage too close to the current one ...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4726fe6a50425588901f

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Say Biden wins and, eventually, Trump concedes.  Could he resign in December and have Pence pardon him?

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sure.

1 minute ago, Upgrayedd said:

That's what I would do if I were him.

Yep.  It's pretty much a sure bet.

Problem -- to ACCEPT a pardon, you have to admit guilt.  That's going to put him in a real pinch with all of the places he gets money (okay, the non-Russian ones).  Another problem -- it only relates to federal crimes.  NY state law may have something to say.