Helmet off penalty against Coburn

Bevo14

20 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
16 hours ago, immamac said:
It's a good rule. 

nope. helmet comes off. blow whistle. stupid rule.

I'd call it a rule with noble intentions. They say the road to Hell is often paved with such. It's like the QB slide and targeting rules in their current incarnations. They are poorly thought out and inconsistently enforced.

For instance, in its current form, the QB slide/give himself up places all responsibility on the defender. It should be revised that the QB is obligated to not cut it too close. A statistical review of a large sample of QB slides could yield a minimum standard in yards required for QB's to initiate their slide. Would it be perfect? No, but it would place some responsibility on the QB to not milk every last drop out of a scramble or allow him to make a fake that places defenders in an impossible position of giving up the play or defy the laws of physics trying to contain them. Coaches and QBs would adjust their ways on that unless they are complete morons, in which case, there is no helping them. Darwin's gotta eat to you know.

I think it's a questionable rule in the context of being about protecting a guy, particularly on defense.  So your helmet comes off and your instinct is supposed to be "well my helmet just came off, so I need to stand up straight right here....sure hope none of these guys flying around trying to block for their teammates blow my ass up while I stand here".    Now I full well realize continuing to run around doesn't diminish that threat but I guess it just doesn't seem like this really protects much.  I guess in theory if a guy hits a helmetless player in the course of the play and he gets ejected then ok maybe...but that's also a path to hell paved with good intention. Not all helmets pop off the same way, at the same time, on the same players, with a play going the same way blah blah blah.

It seems strange that it's a severe, personal foul penalty, but I guess that's for deterrent effect.

It makes some amount of sense to penalize the player losing the helmet, as he is the only one who can control whether he remains in danger after losing his helmet.

But I think you have to scrutinize the reason for the helmet loss as well as for shots on the helmetless player that often ought to result in offsetting penalties.

Blowing the whole play dead immediately seems like it might have unintended consequences.

58 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It is an incredibly dumb rule and an even worse call last night. 

Sucks that Texas got the 4th down stop and a penalty away from the play where the Coburn looked to be in no danger and wasn't close to the play basically gifted them a TD which was still questionable and wasn't reviewed.  38-3 woulda been nice, but it was a curb stomping none the less.  

Even offsetting penalties would be a win for them considering the play result. But that would go the other way as well. 

when exactly did the Utah DL helmet come off on that option play when he kept tackling Sam, kicked him a little, then pushed him down to get a penalty?  He did most of that without a helmet while the ply was live. 

29 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yes everyone knows it had no impact on the game. The thread title isn’t “Coburn’s Bullshit Penalty Almost Cost Us the Game”. 

Very simply, it is a terrible rule, and an even worse call last night given the manner in which his helmet was removed. 

Uh...I was completely agreeing with you.......and I wasn't implying that anyone said it it really impacted the game.  Just that to me I would have liked to have kept them out of the end zone.  Would have been another feather in the cap of the defense last night.  

I also agree that his his helmet didn't come off by itself.  I felt it was poorly used in that situation, because at least as I saw the play, he was far from the play, basically just got off the ground and was moving toward the ball (but was no where near making contact or getting hurt).  His action didn't constitute continued participation in the play anymore than anyone else who's helmet comes off.  

Edited by Lhorn