Fuck you Todd Orlando

Jkwellborn

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

This has gotta be tough for Herman and Del Conte to watch this game and wonder "What if?"  That's more than any punishment that could otherwise be dished out.  You guys sorely fucked up backing the most incompetent pair of coordinators this side of the something, something.  

sadly those two learned squat

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Summer. Dear God we have an entire year ahead of us. We're barely past the dying of the sun and you're reminding me that the hammer of hell is coming. I saw firemen in Aussie dancing in the rain today and YOU BRING UP SUMMER. 

No. I have to see it again in all of October and November. Shut down corners. Getting in the backfield and something that looks like tackling. Every damn down. 

I don't know what the next year will bring. We have kickass players. We get the cream of the crop. Sure, we'll miss some, but we don't lack for talent. 

We're going to have to put up with mensa and his cocksure pressers another year at least. I'm hoping he can make it work, but he's gotta show up every week. 

shine on

you crazy fuckin' diamond

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I cannot wrap my mind around how Todd Orlando was able to make such a talented group look so shitty.  

We had better athletes than 10 of the 12 offenses we went against.  How do you not just turn them loose?  How does a position coach step into your job and do it SO much better than you?  

God dammit, man.

This. 

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

This has gotta be tough for Herman and Del Conte to watch this game and wonder "What if?" 

Da fuq? This has to be hard to watch for them because they got exposed for not pulling the trigger on Orlando sooner.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Imagine if we fired Todd after one of the debacle losses and salvaged the year 

Hell, if we maybe canned him after Kansas when we have up 48 to them, AT HOME, none of the debacle losses happen!

7 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is on Mensa for not canning Orlando sooner. 

Yup. People have been calling for this move for weeks. This game exposed how bad hanging onto Orlando was. 

I'm not reading every post here, but the crux of everyone's opinions seems to be that Orlando was a moron. I'm not defending him, but we lost 9 starters off last year's team and then suffered injury after injury during the season. I'm gonna cut him some slack.

As for the game last night vs Utah, yes our D looked great. But Utah's offense was pitiful, unimaginative and probably their C game. One dropped pass in the flat, if caught, was probably a TD which might have changed the entire complexion of the game. Who knows? Their 4th and inches call to begin the third quarter was totally moronic. Their QB was very average. I don't see him starting for many teams in the Big XII. My real point is this was one game--we looked great in the second half against KSU too, and last year we stifled Georgia. IMO, the thinking here that we would have been a Top 5 or 10 team if Orlando wasn't the DC is misguided. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 7

38 minutes ago, BornOrange1955 said:

I'm not reading every post here, but the crux of everyone's opinions seems to be that Orlando was a moron. I'm not defending him, but we lost 9 starters off last year's team and then suffered injury after injury during the season. I'm gonna cut him some slack.

As for the game last night vs Utah, yes our D looked great. But Utah's offense was pitiful, unimaginative and probably their C game. One dropped pass in the flat, if caught, was probably a TD which might have changed the entire complexion of the game. Who knows? Their 4th and inches call to begin the third quarter was totally moronic. Their QB was very average. I don't see him starting for many teams in the Big XII. My real point is this was one game--we looked great in the second half against KSU too, and last year we stifled Georgia. IMO, the thinking here that we would have been a Top 5 or 10 team if Orlando wasn't the DC is misguided. 

The problem is that Orlando did not adjust to the injuries and did not put his players on the best position to succeed.  He kept running his complicated schemes with young players that were inexperienced.  He needed to simplify it and teach these young but talented players good fundamentals.  His misuse of Ossai all year should get him fired along.  He took one of the best pass rushers in the country and had him playing 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.  You don’t need complicated schemes with talented athletes.  Just for perspective, these guys were rated by various services.

5 stars- Sterns, Foster, Cook, Overshown, Green

High 4 stars- Jones, Shark, Ossai, Coburn, Jaimison

4 stars-  TQ, Dele, Adimora, Watson, Ojomo 

This was a very talented defense of very highly recruited players and he made them look worse than Kansas most of the year.  Look at how they played when schemes were simplified for them and they focused on fundamentals.

• Like 7

About half the injuries seemed to be DBs trying to make big hits and taking themselves out.  That’s more on the defensive coaches teaching technique than on the Strength and Conditioning coach.  RBs were also injured, but Whittington had a preexisting condition and Kirk Johnson has been injured for four years.  Aside from those, we had three semi freak incidents with DGF’s spinal stenosis, DBs stroke, and Mpagi’s heart condition.

That leaves a few hamstring pulls, rolled ankles, and knee injuries, the quantity of which are pretty consistent with the game of football.  Not sure what you think McKnight could do differently?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, BornOrange1955 said:

One dropped pass in the flat, if caught, was probably a TD which might have changed the entire complexion of the game. Who knows?

If we’re thinking of the same play, we had a player in position to make the tackle and keep it to a max 20-yard gain. Missing an open receiver or failing to pick up a blitz is no different than dropping a pass. Successful plays need execution on multiple levels.  

And we had a few what-ifs, too.

Who’s happier than we are Orlando is gone? Cort Jaquess. I know the kid now has his own thread, but Orlando (allegedly) also coached LBs, correct? And he couldn’t see this guy could contribute? 

I look forward to a new staff with fresh eyes, proven defensive concepts and the willingness to put put the best 11 on the field. Last night’s defense paired with even just a pedestrian offense would win most of their games, and I have great confidence our talent and Yurcich will provide a bad ass offensive attack. Improvement in special teams and the HC not being too special with his game management decisions could get us back on track.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BornOrange1955 said:

Why? His job is to coach these players. We are stocked with talent that could have stepped up and filled these holes. He could and SHOULD have understood how to use the talent at his disposal. Hell, just watching Ossai last night alone showed what a garbage job Orlando did with the personnel. But the entire game last night was an indictment of his underperformance.

Did they not play well or did we make them look bad. That was an offense that was averaging 5 TDs a game. Either way, I don't care what Utah looked like. In the end we looked a hell of a lot better with a new scheme installed in 8 days under one of his own assistants.

Fuck you Todd Orlando.

I'm going to assume that Orlando's fanatical devotion to his over-complex scheme and calls within that scheme is what attracted Herman to him in the first place.  Much as Herman seems to want to "impose our will" on offense, and the "notebook," which blessedly seems to have disappeared.

I am guardedly optimistic that Herman is maturing and learning to be a better coach.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm going to assume that Orlando's fanatical devotion to his over-complex scheme and calls within that scheme is what attracted Herman to him in the first place.  Much as Herman seems to want to "impose our will" on offense, and the "notebook," which blessedly seems to have disappeared.

I am guardedly optimistic that Herman is maturing and learning to be a better coach.

Binder.

Think Mitt Romney.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

therm looked embarrassed and subdued post-game and he should be.  naivar installed a simplified defense in 8 practices and shut down a top 10 team, showcasing athletes, talent, speed, and size.

the national media isn't saying 1 fucking word about what's been going on this season.  i'm trying to reconcile being po'ed after a dominating 3-score win.

Giorgio-A-Tsoukalos.gif

I'm just here for the gang bang...

I have no idea how a guy that is a D1 coach couldn't see what was so obvious to us idiots on Surly.  46 almost doubled his stats in one game by being properly utilized.  

Unbelievable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Binder.

Think Mitt Romney.

Right, but a reference to a romcom or whatever it was is not entirely inappropriate either.

When you think about it, Herman has encountered very little adversity in his coordinator and head coach career.  I think he met expectations at ISU and tOSU, including national championships, and exceeded them at UH, despite some hickeys.

Therefore, in his infinite mensaness, he decided that having schemes and sticking to them, come hell or high water, was the way to go.  Hopefully, he is learning that there is merit in flexibility.  And also that the ability at Texas to recruit at a tOSU level is not the same as having recruited at that level year-in and year-out for a decade and that you can't slavishly impose a system on a grab-bag of talent.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Who’s happier than we are Orlando is gone? Cort Jaquess. I know the kid now has his own thread, but Orlando (allegedly) also coached LBs, correct? And he couldn’t see this guy could contribute? 
I look forward to a new staff with fresh eyes, proven defensive concepts and the willingness to put put the best 11 on the field. Last night’s defense paired with even just a pedestrian offense would win most of their games, and I have great confidence our talent and Yurcich will provide a bad ass offensive attack. Improvement in special teams and the HC not being too special with his game management decisions could get us back on track.
So all night, I'm saying, "Who tf is Jaquess and where did he come from?"
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BornOrange1955 said:

Agree to a small extent, especially with the injuries this season.  But the results last night speak for themselves.  We gave up way too many 1st downs on 3rd and long plays this season, because Orlando loved to blitz and left our DBs on islands.  With proper scheme and technique, our defense caused all sorts of problems for Utah on offense.

I live in Pac-12 country, and the conference this year is mostly a giant dumpster fire outside of Oregon, Utah, and maybe Washington.  Now you could argue that Utah was down after getting blown out in the Pac-12 CCG by Oregon, and missing out on the playoff spot.  On the other hand, perhaps Utah could have showed up to the Alamo Bowl with a chip on their shoulder, expecting to prove to the world that it should have been them and not OU in the playoffs.

I've watched a few of Utah's games this year, and their offense is no slouch.  Huntley is a good QB who can scramble.  They can put up lots of points, especially against mediocre to bad teams like Oregon State, Cal, and UCLA.  Going into this game, I honestly thought for Texas to have a chance to win, our offense would need to outscore Utah in a shootout.  Our defense showing up and mostly completely shutting down Utah was a shock to me, albeit a very pleasant one.

I agree it's probably too soon to tell whether our defense will be legit next season, with all the changes.  Big XII spread offenses are a different beast entirely, and present a monumental challenge for any defense to scheme against.  But if (and I suppose right now, it's still a big if) - the defense is set up to succeed with proper scheme and technique, look out.

I will say this, though: I'm not sure we would have won last night's game if Orlando was still the DC.  So to that end, it's good that we have moved on.

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. As happy as I was to see a good defense on display, the performance could be just as easily chalked up to Utah not seeing anything resembling what they saw last night on film. I’m all for a simpler scheme and letting the athletes be athletes. The blitzes from 20 yards out were maddening as were the blitzes that were always somehow seen by the offense and easily picked up. Orlando’s lack of creativity was frustrating to say the least. I’ll withhold judgment on this thing being turned around until we hold some Big 12 offenses to 20 points or less. That being said, fuck Todd Orlando.

Two tackles in particular stood out to me. One was BJ foster actually breaking down and tracking the ball carrier rather than going for a kill shot. The other was the great white hope LB tackling the qb short of the first down marker. He did the same breakdown move and used the sideline as leverage. Someone posted the vid of the Seahawks tackling drill by Pete carrol and the two tackles above looked textbook from the video. They learned that shit in 8 fucking practices.

2 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Two tackles in particular stood out to me. One was BJ foster actually breaking down and tracking the ball carrier rather than going for a kill shot. The other was the great white hope LB tackling the qb short of the first down marker. He did the same breakdown move and used the sideline as leverage. Someone posted the vid of the Seahawks tackling drill by Pete carrol and the two tackles above looked textbook from the video. They learned that shit in 8 fucking practices.

The players on defense are a group of 5 stars and 4 stars that maybe Bama, OSU, LSU, and Clemson can match.  They were highly recruited for a reason.  Our idiotic coaches just spent the entire year practicing blitzes from 20 yards out than fundamentals.  Who would have thought that when you can out athlete your opponent, you make it hard for them to score just playing simple defense...

8 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Wonder how much influence Ash had on those practices? I know Naivier called the game as DC but wonder if Ash was coaching his ass off during the practices?

10 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

This x 1000.  Yes, fuck Orlando, but Herman's main job as HC is evaluating his subordinates on both sides of the ball.  Orlando should have been shitcanned last year, or at least after LSU this year.  If so, we're likely 9-3 this year.  

• Like 1

I assumed the D would be simplified, but... damn... that was a performance.

With the LB and overall DC fired, who deserves the credit for that D? Is that Naivar, showing what he can do when not hamstrung? Was it really Ash, contributing from his suite in the Driskill? Whatever, the person responsible needs to be honored.

6 hours ago, BornOrange1955 said:

Orlando is a playmatcher just like Diaz.   he got figured out by any OC with a pulse.  he refused to adjust to his personnel AND the injuries.  using his words he said his guys were going to figure it(his scheme) out and play balls out.  well, they never did and that is ALL fucking on him.  people keep talking about our injuries and the starters we lost this year.  we sucked last year also but our O masked it. 

I am by no means saying things are fixed because TO got fired but he sucked once his tendencies were on film and he didn't know how to get his assistants to coach his D.  Washington takes some blame here also as Herman made the comment about "after 2 years in the program our DB's should know how to play quarters coverage".

KU was damning even with the injuries. I was done after that game and the rest of the season pretty much proved it.

Utah's O looked pitiful because we made them look pitiful.  I was pleased we bottled up an athletic running QB.

Nothing is fixed and Herman is still on the clock but make no mistake this job was too big for Orlando.  The 3 quarter performance in the Sugar Bowl masked a lot of issues with this staff.  not just D.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

What I don’t get is our D is full of  4/5 star players who if you look at video going back to their high school days, they have the  basic techniques down which makes them deserving of their rankings.  My question is why all the sudden did they look like they were never taught a damn thing and belonged playing JV football as Senior on a high school squad?   

So here goes my tin foil hat theory.   Was this their way of showing no confidence in Orlando and they were during the corse of the season trying to get Herman to listen to no avail until after the Tech game when Herman’s own future was being speculated on?   

Last night was textbook  for what should be expected for a large balance of the season.  That’s a D who puts at least 10 wins on the board with 8 or 9 being comfortable wins.      None of this BS playing to the last second against fricken KU for crying out loud.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

What I don’t get is our D is full of  4/5 star players who if you look at video going back to their high school days, they have the  basic techniques down which makes them deserving of their rankings.  My question is why all the sudden did they look like they were never taught a damn thing and belonged playing JV football as Senior on a high school squad?   

So here goes my tin foil hat theory.   Was this their way of showing no confidence in Orlando and they were during the corse of the season trying to get Herman to listen to no avail until after the Tech game when Herman’s own future was being speculated on?   

Last night was textbook  for what should be expected for a large balance of the season.  That’s a D who puts at least 10 wins on the board with 8 or 9 being comfortable wins.      None of this BS playing to the last second against fricken KU for crying out loud.  

It’s really simple. They were schemed out of position constantly and confused to the point where they played slow. Take those things and you have players constantly out of position to make a proper tackle so they flail around like idiots. It’s 100% on Orlando and it’s rage inducing.

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

Because, I think, Orlando's schemes and calls required memorization and diagnosis of the offense and not fundamental football.  When you are thinking too much, you can't fall back on instincts and fundamental football.  Thinking too much in an athletic endeavor is a real problem.  I'm a thinker and it has always interfered with my ability in sports.

But, I think you are right that at some point the players kind of said fuck it and started kind of fucking off and going through the motions.  And some of the substitutes we had to play were more reliant on fundamentals and instinct than the longer-term starters and may have initially appeared more effective until they started internalizing what Orlando was teaching.  And some players tried harder to play Orlando's game than others, probably to their detriment in terms of results.  So they were doing what they were told and less effective players as a result.  That's consistent with some of the locker-room problems we were hearing about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Wonder how much influence Ash had on those practices? I know Naivier called the game as DC but wonder if Ash was coaching his ass off during the practices?

I remember hearing on one of the podcasts that Ash wasn't allowed to do any on-field coaching until after the bowl.  He could do meetings and film, but that's it.

• Like 1