Fuck you Todd Orlando

Jkwellborn

So, I've been thinking... I want to tweet @cdc to tell him to send the rest of Orlando's checks to Ed Oliver.
Nah, the ones for the extension should be sent to Ford, Poona.
Wonder how much influence Ash had on those practices? I know Naivier called the game as DC but wonder if Ash was coaching his ass off during the practices?

I didn’t think he could be around the team.

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

This x 1000.  Yes, fuck Orlando, but Herman's main job as HC is evaluating his subordinates on both sides of the ball.  Orlando should have been shitcanned last year, or at least after LSU this year.  If so, we're likely 9-3 this year.  

Yeah, Herman had 2 chances to salvage the season - after LSU scored on 7 of their last 8 possessions against us or after the KU abortion.  10-3 with losses to only LSU, OU, and Baylor would have been somewhat acceptable with the injuries we had.  Stubborn Mensa is stubborn and now on the hot seat going into 2020.

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Our idiotic coaches just spent the entire year practicing blitzes from 20 yards out than fundamentals.

I posted about this a while ago.  Naivar and Washington shouldn't necessarily get a "free pass", but I don't think they should be getting hammered as hard as they are either.  I had someone tell me that the defense spent about 90% of their practice time working on nothing but blitzes.  The defensive assistants often asked for position work time and were rarely granted it.  Orlando did not put any time and effort into player development, he solely cared about his scheme.  I'm not overly surprised that our players looked "coached up" last night.

I posted about this a while ago.  Naivar and Washington shouldn't necessarily get a "free pass", but I don't think they should be getting hammered as hard as they are either.  I had someone tell me that the defense spent about 90% of their practice time working on nothing but blitzes.  The defensive assistants often asked for position work time and were rarely granted it.  Orlando did not put any time and effort into player development, he solely cared about his scheme.  I'm not overly surprised that our players looked "coached up" last night.
I refuse to believe this. And I'm not saying it's false... I just don't want to believe this could be possible.

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:
36 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I refuse to believe this. And I'm not saying it's false... I just don't want to believe this could be possible.

Which part?  There's several parts of that theory that beggar belief.

19 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

What I don’t get is our D is full of  4/5 star players who if you look at video going back to their high school days, they have the  basic techniques down which makes them deserving of their rankings.  My question is why all the sudden did they look like they were never taught a damn thing and belonged playing JV football as Senior on a high school squad?   

So here goes my tin foil hat theory.   Was this their way of showing no confidence in Orlando and they were during the corse of the season trying to get Herman to listen to no avail until after the Tech game when Herman’s own future was being speculated on?   

Last night was textbook  for what should be expected for a large balance of the season.  That’s a D who puts at least 10 wins on the board with 8 or 9 being comfortable wins.      None of this BS playing to the last second against fricken KU for crying out loud.  

This is a lot of words to just amount to nonsensical speculation.

We had a lot of elite talent on defense this year, but Orlando never gave our guys a chance to succeed. Roughly every time we had a 3rd and 6, he had Ossai dropping back into coverage and our DEs aligned inside the OTs inside shoulder while blitzing one of the best deep safeties in all of CFB and having our CBs play 10 yard off coverage.  

On 1/1/2020 at 6:25 AM, BornOrange1955 said:

I'm not reading every post here, but the crux of everyone's opinions seems to be that Orlando was a moron. I'm not defending him, but we lost 9 starters off last year's team and then suffered injury after injury during the season. I'm gonna cut him some slack.

As for the game last night vs Utah, yes our D looked great. But Utah's offense was pitiful, unimaginative and probably their C game. One dropped pass in the flat, if caught, was probably a TD which might have changed the entire complexion of the game. Who knows? Their 4th and inches call to begin the third quarter was totally moronic. Their QB was very average. I don't see him starting for many teams in the Big XII. My real point is this was one game--we looked great in the second half against KSU too, and last year we stifled Georgia. IMO, the thinking here that we would have been a Top 5 or 10 team if Orlando wasn't the DC is misguided. 

2018 broke Orladno and he completely lost his mind in 2019. We didn't lose 9 starters off the 2018 defense.  Sterns, Jones, Roach, Thompson, and Foster all started multiple games for us in 2018, plus Graham, Ossai, McCulloch had all played a good bit in 2018. His defense was fundamentally broken and it was entirely his fault. Even if we stayed healthy, we still would have sucked. Our defense was almost fully healthy the last three games of the season and we barely improved at all in FEI or S&P+. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a lot of words to just amount to nonsensical speculation.

We had a lot of elite talent on defense this year, but Orlando never gave our guys a chance to succeed. Roughly every time we had a 3rd and 6, he had Ossai dropping back into coverage and our DEs aligned inside the OTs inside shoulder while blitzing one of the best deep safeties in all of CFB and having our CBs play 10 yard off coverage.  

2018 broke Orladno and he completely lost his mind in 2019. We didn't lose 9 starters off the 2018 defense.  Sterns, Jones, Roach, Thompson, and Foster all started multiple games for us in 2018, plus Graham, Ossai, McCulloch had all played a good bit in 2018. His defense was fundamentally broken and it was entirely his fault. Even if we stayed healthy, we still would have sucked. Our defense was almost fully healthy the last three games of the season and we barely improved at all in FEI or S&P+. 

Don't disagree one bit.   Hell, how many times did we give up 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 plus?    It was like go ahead and get ready to move the sticks to the chain crew because it was almost automatic.    

4 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

Words/phrases forever embedded in Longhorn lexicon:

A Watson = 59 yards of offense

Third and Orlando = third and anything over 10

A friend of mine that coaches football uses  this phrase when his offense makes a mistake like Kingpin: “man, you really Watson’d that post pattern, Johnson.”

On 1/1/2020 at 8:25 AM, BornOrange1955 said:

I'm not reading every post here, but the crux of everyone's opinions seems to be that Orlando was a moron. I'm not defending him, but we lost 9 starters off last year's team and then suffered injury after injury during the season. I'm gonna cut him some slack.

As for the game last night vs Utah, yes our D looked great. But Utah's offense was pitiful, unimaginative and probably their C game. One dropped pass in the flat, if caught, was probably a TD which might have changed the entire complexion of the game. Who knows? Their 4th and inches call to begin the third quarter was totally moronic. Their QB was very average. I don't see him starting for many teams in the Big XII. My real point is this was one game--we looked great in the second half against KSU too, and last year we stifled Georgia. IMO, the thinking here that we would have been a Top 5 or 10 team if Orlando wasn't the DC is misguided. 

I would not cut Orlando slack. In his pressers he was repeatedly asked if he was going to make major changes since the defense had been bad since last year. His standard answer was "No time to panic, we have to keep teaching these players our scheme and get them to execute better". Basically I am going to throw the players under the bus since there is nothing wrong with what I am doing. When you lose players you make changes to put what you have in better position. One should not staunchly stick to what has not worked since 2018. I responded because I thought you did not deserve the negs for cutting Orlando slack. I think I will go back and neg you now that I thought more about it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

Words/phrases forever embedded in Longhorn lexicon:

A Watson = 59 yards of offense

Third and Orlando = third and anything over 10

To Warehime:  When you really need to make a good impression, but you have a more urgent need to drop a mega-deuce.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:20 PM, RomaVicta said:

I'm the same as you. My beloved who knows little about the game asked the same question the announcers posed: "Where was this team the rest of the season?"

They were a mile up Orlando's ass in chains with blindfolds on. You, I, and my beloved can see it with no common expertise.

What a fucking disaster. What a lost season. The evidence is that we would have been better had Herman fired Orlando and promoted Naivar at mid-season. Would anyone have realistically predicted that to be the case?

I don't think we could have predicted what Naivar would do when calling the plays, but it was obvious months ago that Orlando was over-thinking and over-complicating things and putting our players in bad positions. We have the athletes to compete with most teams, so we don't need to confuse the offenses as much as we need to just dominate them physically. Try to confuse LSU, don't try to confuse Kansas.

• Like 1

This is all people need to know about Orlando "teaching" and it was available before we hired the guy. I wanted Aranda but some folks here could not see past the OU win in which OU shot itself in the foot. You know who you are you assholes with all the negging you did of folks that criticized the hiring of Orlando.

Teaching guys by talking only and not showing. Also, lots of hitting in practice putting wear and tear on guys instead of teaching guys by showing them how to close on a runner to tackle the person. Same thing takes place in a longer video from UH. I don't think things changed here.

Here is Aranda (0.44):

Edited by DanTheHorn

So... you're saying it's a Bad Idea™ to try to confuse people who have no fucking idea what they're doing in the first place? And, presumably, it's Worse Than That™ when the folks trying to do the confusing jave no fucking idea what they're supposed to do to create the confusion, no?

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So... you're saying it's a Bad Idea™ to try to confuse people who have no fucking idea what they're doing in the first place? And, presumably, it's Worse Than That™ when the folks trying to do the confusing jave no fucking idea what they're supposed to do to create the confusion, no?

You're not wrong.

30 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

This is all people need to know about Orlando "teaching" and it was available before we hired the guy. I wanted Aranda but some folks here could not see past the OU win in which OU shot itself in the foot. You know who you are you assholes with all the negging you did of folks that criticized the hiring of Orlando.

Teaching guys by talking only and not showing. Also, lots of hitting in practice putting wear and tear on guys instead of teaching guys by showing them how to close on a runner to tackle the person. Same thing takes place in a longer video from UH. I don't think things changed here.

Here is Aranda (0.44):

Everyone wanted Arando over Orlando, but Aranda wasn't attainable.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Everyone wanted Arando over Orlando, but Aranda wasn't attainable.

Herman was hired on 11/26/2016. Aranada signed his new deal on 12/7/2016 so he was attainable for a small window. The way I remember it he was not pursued as strongly $$ as he needed to be.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_b3169aca-bc9f-11e6-9f10-f7e501010d35.html

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Herman was hired on 11/26/2016. Aranada signed his new deal on 12/7/2016 so he was attainable for a small window. The way I remember it he was not pursued as strongly $$ as he needed to be.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_b3169aca-bc9f-11e6-9f10-f7e501010d35.html

The new deal was reported on 12/7 - the article says it was first reported on at least a week before that.  He got that new deal right after Tom (and Orgeron) were signed.   Likely because of interest from Texas.  LSU wasn't going to be outbid for Aranda right after they lost Tom to Texas.

11 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The timing of his new deal has nothing to do with whether he was attainable. LSU was always going to match or exceed whatever we offered because the whole idea of hiring Coach was to save money to keep/acquire elite coordinators. Aranda was never an option, and people were not saying they wanted Orlando over Aranda.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I don't think we could have predicted what Naivar would do when calling the plays, but it was obvious months ago that Orlando was over-thinking and over-complicating things and putting our players in bad positions. We have the athletes to compete with most teams, so we don't need to confuse the offenses as much as we need to just dominate them physically. Try to confuse LSU, don't try to confuse Kansas.

Points up an interesting contrast between Herman's stagnant and predictable offense that wants to "impose our will" and Orlando's defense, which wants to outsmart everyone.

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The timing of his new deal has nothing to do with whether he was attainable. LSU was always going to match or exceed whatever we offered because the whole idea of hiring Coach was to save money to keep/acquire elite coordinators. Aranda was never an option, and people were not saying they wanted Orlando over Aranda.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/175299-The-Assistant-Coach-Thread?p=10345013&viewfull=1#post10345013

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I would not cut Orlando slack. In his pressers he was repeatedly asked if he was going to make major changes since the defense had been bad since last year. His standard answer was "No time to panic, we have to keep teaching these players our scheme and get them to execute better". Basically I am going to throw the players under the bus since there is nothing wrong with what I am doing. When you lose players you make changes to put what you have in better position. One should not staunchly stick to what has not worked since 2018. I responded because I thought you did not deserve the negs for cutting Orlando slack. I think I will go back and neg you now that I thought more about it.

Enablers like that deserve all they get.

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Your evidence for a bunch of people wanting Orlando over Aranda is one guy who said he thought Aranda's system (which was the same system as Orlando's) wouldn't fare well in the Big 12? 

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your evidence for a bunch of people wanting Orlando over Aranda is one guy who said he thought Aranda's system (which was the same system as Orlando's) wouldn't fare well in the Big 12? 

No, I originally said that there were people negging the criticism of us hiring Orlando. I also, stated I preferred Aranda. I did not say that people wanted Orlando over Aranda. When you reacted I assumed you were one of the assholes negging people for being less then impressed with the hiring of Orlando. I just wanted to show that Aranda at least in one case was not a sure fire as some remember. Also, in that thread on page one someone said if we wanted Aranda we had to offer 2M. He accepted 1.8M and I am sure like you say LSU would have offered 2.1. Still we did not offer what someone stated would be needed to get the guy. Anyway you are right. We are arguing over stuff that was not even the original point I wanted to make. I was just trying to show how different a good coordinator teaches linebackers in comparison to Orlando. Also, how Orlando's coaching is probably more responsible for injuries than our strength and conditioning coach as stated earlier in the thread. Next time I need to be more explicit.

Edited by DanTheHorn

On 1/1/2020 at 11:20 AM, orangebird said:

Agree to a small extent, especially with the injuries this season.  But the results last night speak for themselves.  We gave up way too many 1st downs on 3rd and long plays this season, because Orlando loved to blitz and left our DBs on islands.  With proper scheme and technique, our defense caused all sorts of problems for Utah on offense.

I live in Pac-12 country, and the conference this year is mostly a giant dumpster fire outside of Oregon, Utah, and maybe Washington.  Now you could argue that Utah was down after getting blown out in the Pac-12 CCG by Oregon, and missing out on the playoff spot.  On the other hand, perhaps Utah could have showed up to the Alamo Bowl with a chip on their shoulder, expecting to prove to the world that it should have been them and not OU in the playoffs.

I've watched a few of Utah's games this year, and their offense is no slouch.  Huntley is a good QB who can scramble.  They can put up lots of points, especially against mediocre to bad teams like Oregon State, Cal, and UCLA.  Going into this game, I honestly thought for Texas to have a chance to win, our offense would need to outscore Utah in a shootout.  Our defense showing up and mostly completely shutting down Utah was a shock to me, albeit a very pleasant one.

I agree it's probably too soon to tell whether our defense will be legit next season, with all the changes.  Big XII spread offenses are a different beast entirely, and present a monumental challenge for any defense to scheme against.  But if (and I suppose right now, it's still a big if) - the defense is set up to succeed with proper scheme and technique, look out.

I will say this, though: I'm not sure we would have won last night's game if Orlando was still the DC.  So to that end, it's good that we have moved on.

It will happen. It is year one of a new DC. So the pattern should hold. Lets just hope the pattern is broken by year three.

Orlando's response when queried about tackling post Louisiana Tech, leading up to LSU.

"Tackling wasn't that bad, just in a couple of places with some younger guys. It wasn't something that was specifically addressed out there -- everything was focused on what LSU is trying to do on offense and defense. There isn't much hitting in the week leading up to the first game. The coaches allow for bodies to heal and they're trying to keep people healthy. Tackling shouldn't be an issue. It didn't show up this week as an issue and things were plenty physical."

https://youtu.be/DH_RJKyXrsA?t=914

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Much like a Nolan Ryan fastball, the defense doesn't need to be fancy to work at Texas.  Keep giving em the heater and mix in an off speed pitch here and there.  

I think my baseball analogies are better than my boxing analogies.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Here is Aranda (0.44):

Man, that explains why our LBs love running into OL so much.  

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You come up with unsubstantiated bullshit like this all the time like some ridiculous authority.

Back up your statements or gtfo.

Edited by El Squared

11 hours ago, jinx said:

Much like a Nolan Ryan fastball, the defense doesn't need to be fancy to work at Texas.  Keep giving em the heater and mix in an off speed pitch here and there.  

I think my baseball analogies are better than my boxing analogies.  

Forget about the curveball, Ricky.

The complicated defenses work when you inherit good, upperclassmen defensive players who were taught sound fundamentals by someone else.  When that initial core is lost to graduation things go downhill fast.  Diaz and Orlando both had success initially and then flamed out spectacularly.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1