Expectations for 2020 season

SubliminalHorn

44 minutes ago, gecko said:

All the pieces are in place for a epic 2020 season but the surlytards will continue to touch themselves and God will punish us all for it. You know who you are...don’t touch yourself and we will be fine.

What pieces exactly? Let's beat OU and win the conference please. I'm done drinking the Kool aid fuck just don't get embarrassed

• Like 2

Honestly, last night showed just how much talent was wasted during the season. Not as much on offense,  but special teams and defense. Those 2 groups can play so much better than they showed during the season. Offense was just pure mismanagement, didnt use Sam enough, playcalling would lose rythm often,  and going for it on 4th and short too many times, 17 or 18 times, with little success because the playcalling sucked. And you know what that leads to, no points on the board and putting our defense in a bad position.  

There's some rich talent on this team, 100% on the coaches, injuries whatever.

Hopefully we'll be Big 12 champs and underdogs in the playoffs next season. 

• Like 1

We should win the conference title and be a playoff contender assuming Sam doesn't bolt (he won't), stays healthy (crosses fingers) and Tom's coaching hires pan out (maybe).  Every position except possibly receiver will have the experience, quality and depth on par with a top 5 team.  Last night showed how good this collection of players can be when not decimated by injuries and/or being coached by a staff that is its own worst enemy.

Edited by Goredho

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

until therm wins by 25 in ames, manhattan, lawrence, fort worth and stillwater, then a win over 0u is worthless.

he wins bowls.  he can win big games.  until he goes 10-2 and wins the league he hasn't done it.  parcells.

If Oddshark is correct, we have been a 3+ TD road favorite 4 times at those venues since the formation of the Big 12.

Stillwater 2005, Manhattan 2002, Lawrence 2004, 2016.

Interesting that 3 of those games ended up being near disasters, and I will never talk about the other one ever again. 

Big 12 Championship or bust. I'd be happy closing the regular season out with an 11-2 record losing to LSU and a conference loss between Baylor or OU with a win in the Big 12 championship game. Herman needs to step it up against the likes of TCU, WVU and Okie St. He's struggled mightily against those three teams and failed to put all three away in a single season.

Conference road games next year are @ both Kansas schools, Tech, and Gundy.

No doubt @ Oklahoma State will be the toughest, but it's the last game of season and you never know with injuries and such that late in the season.

Kicking off conference play @ Kansas State should be good because they lose a ton of Srs. and more than likely will be better 2nd half of season.

OU is gonna be better than they were this year. LSU will take a step back but not a massive one. Okie State will be better, as will TCU. Baylor could take a big step back or be better depending on Rhule. The schedule is tougher next year than this year.

For me it's process. They could be much improved next season and still go 9-3 and miss the conference title game. 

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Losing Duvernay and CJ will be a pretty massive blow to our receiving corps... And if the same sort of staff dysfunction we dealt with in 2019 repeats itself next year, it won't matter what newfangled schemes Ash and Yurcich bring to the table.

Expectation should be that we make it to the Big 12 title game, get double-digit wins, and reach a NY6 bowl game. More specifically, we need better scouting/game-planning on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. Beating Utah defensively is like beating USC/Georgia, it looks great on paper but the offenses we face (and lose to) in conference play put much more of a strain on our defense and are better suited to picking apart our weaknesses.

lol no shit, you hopeless pessimist. 

Our receiving corps will take the biggest blow on offense. We have talent, but it’s young. If RoJo sticks at RB, then I think we should move Whittington to WR. Eagles can either stay at Z or potentially move over to X and let Smith play Z and Whittington man the slot. Or keep Eagles at Z, Smith at slot, and then let Washington, Lewis, Woodard, and maybe Whittington fight it out for Z. We have depth and talent at WR, but we’re low on experience. Liebrock or Wiley coming along at TE and providing a true receiving threat at that spot for the first time in Herman’s tenure would take a lot of pressure off the WRs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

I absolutely expect them to beat a Joe Burrow-less LSU team. I also expect the Horns to beat OU, but I expect that every year.

Really depends on what grad transfer QB LSU lands. If they get someone really good, then they’ll be a top 3 team in the nation again.

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Losing Duvernay and CJ will be a pretty massive blow to our receiving corps... And if the same sort of staff dysfunction we dealt with in 2019 repeats itself next year, it won't matter what newfangled schemes Ash and Yurcich bring to the table.

Expectation should be that we make it to the Big 12 title game, get double-digit wins, and reach a NY6 bowl game. More specifically, we need better scouting/game-planning on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. Beating Utah defensively is like beating USC/Georgia, it looks great on paper but the offenses we face (and lose to) in conference play put much more of a strain on our defense and are better suited to picking apart our weaknesses.

Are you suggesting that the "staff dysfunction" stays when the staff goes?  Kind of like the BO?  That one Tom Herman is the primary source of staff dysfunction?

Edited by TwiceHorn

I learned my lesson. I am not expecting shit. I don't care what inflated ranking we get either. Until we actually win the Big 12, my expectations are that we are a middle of the row team.

I don't need to be kicked in the nuts by Herman again.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I had to check if this was a 2018 thread with all the “there’s no reason why we can’t” responses. I see 3 losses, possibly 4. 

IMHO there is expectations, like what I said:

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Conference title, beat OU, be in the talk for the playoff. It’s year 4, Herman gets no excuses. I don’t care who leaves or who gets injured, the talent stockpile should be enough that it’s ‘next man up’ and we keep rolling.

And then there is the potential or likely reality, what you said.

I would just posit that this is year 4. With the time/space/leeway Herman has had, this team should be ready to meet the expectations set forth. And if the team isn't that's on Herman. Either he or his coaches have prepared this team, because we know he's brought in talent that should be executing that this level.

14 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I expect Texas fans will become overly optimistic...

What does that really mean, though? Does it mean we'll be more optimistic than the facts would suggest? Or that we'll be so optimistic that we're bound to make unhealthy life choices based on unreasonable expectations?

I've got zero problem with being wrong if it means I don't have to be miserable. Being right all the time is way overrated.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

trenchant analysis.  

Why do you believe we should expect the team not to improve next season?  The team was nearly as productive on a per play basis this season as they were last year in spite of significant personnel losses.  They do not lose nearly as much next season and it’s quite reasonable to expect substantial improvement from the defense next season. The losses at WR will hurt, but there is still talent there and with a senior Ehlinger I don’t see the offense crumbling next season. 

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol no shit, you hopeless pessimist. 

Our receiving corps will take the biggest blow on offense. We have talent, but it’s young. If RoJo sticks at RB, then I think we should move Whittington to WR. Eagles can either stay at Z or potentially move over to X and let Smith play Z and Whittington man the slot. Or keep Eagles at Z, Smith at slot, and then let Washington, Lewis, Woodard, and maybe Whittington fight it out for Z. We have depth and talent at WR, but we’re low on experience. Liebrock or Wiley coming along at TE and providing a true receiving threat at that spot for the first time in Herman’s tenure would take a lot of pressure off the WRs. 

On a positive note, the WR corps should receive substantially better coaching than previous versions.  The kind of worrisome thing is that Sam seems to need a stork receiver to haul in some of his "overthrows," Duvernay notwithstanding.  Eagles and Epps could fill that role and have shown glimpses.

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Beating Utah defensively is like beating USC/Georgia, it looks great on paper but the offenses we face (and lose to) in conference play put much more of a strain on our defense and are better suited to picking apart our weaknesses.

This is a good point. If things don’t work out next season I think the most likely cause will be Herman going with one of his buddies at DC instead of someone with more experience defending the kind of offenses we will be facing next season.  I thought the obvious thing would have been to hire someone willing to rip off ISU’s scheme, like what Baylor did this season. 

53 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why do you believe we should expect the team not to improve next season?  The team was nearly as productive on a per play basis this season as they were last year in spite of significant personnel losses.  They do not lose nearly as much next season and it’s quite reasonable to expect substantial improvement from the defense next season. The losses at WR will hurt, but there is still talent there and with a senior Ehlinger I don’t see the offense crumbling next season. 

2017: 6-6

2018: 9-3

2019: 7-5

8-4 seems like a reasonable expected record under Herman. Maybe we'll be better.  Maybe not.  Last year should have taught you not to read too much into the bowl game.  

At this point, Herm has not earned the benefit of the doubt.  Show me.  

Edited by bschoolprof
forgot the record in 2017
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, immamac said:

OU just be crushed.

Winning that one game is not good enough. Charlie Strong beat OU once. I know you didn't necessarily mean it like "4-8 is OK as long as we beat OU" but there are ways (VERY FEW WAYS) next season can be a successful improvement even with a loss to OU. 

I'll be fucking fit to be tied if we lose to OU again, but if we lose to them but beat LSU and win the rest of our games, I have to think that's a pretty good 2020. We're not going to get everything we want in one year. 

Of course, in this hypothetical, we'd probably get a rematch with OU in the B12CG and if we go 11-2 and lose to OU twice in the same season... fuck, I'd really have to think about that one. I guess I'd be onboard with firing him if that happens. We cannot lag OU in the Big 12 in perpetuity. 

I guess how I feel is, OU sucks.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic about 2020.  Last night's bowl win was fantastic, but a lot of it will come down to scheme and execution next season.  We have the athletes to compete with OU and potentially win the conference.  But will we put them in a position to do so?  That remains to be seen.

Last night was a positive step, but it was just a step.  When we can consistently produce results like last night through our conference schedule, then great things will be in store for us.

Beat one of ou/LSU.  Only drop one other game rest of the year and win the fucking Big 12.  This is Herman’s 4th year with his recruits and he was given a clean slate with an open checkbook to fix his huge blunder of bringing his under qualified butt buddies from UH.  If he cannot accomplish this with a senior once in a decade QB is a shitty conference, he is not the answer.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1

For whatever reason, the past decade has shown me that if you want to play championship competitive football you don't play in The Big XII so it would feel unrealistic to set expectations beyond conference success.  Like it or not, OU has almost solely carried this conference's flag and almost every time they reach the playoffs, they not only lose, but are embarrassed, and we never even reach their stage.  Kind of reminds me of The Big Ten last decade.  The thing that turned the Big Ten around?: An influx of elite coaching-- Meyer to Ohio State, Harbaugh to Michigan.  I wonder what, if anything, changes the narrative for the Big XII?  Perhaps nothing but the slow death it seems to have been dying for years.

Edited by Steelers Roll Left

14 hours ago, TexArcher said:

The albatross around this team's neck is gone and tonight we saw what we're capable of.  CJ and Dev will be tough to replace, but our running back unit next year will be ridiculous.  And the defense will be much better with a different scheme and hopefully some better luck on injuries.

10-2 minimum.

And there is a chance that 2020 Baton Rouge will be the stepping stone that 2005 Columbus was.

Who does LSU have to replace Joe Burrow?   Unless it’s Justin Fields transferring in I don’t why we can’t win that game.  Look at the Pro talent leaving. We should be favored in every other game next year. 

56 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

2017: 6-6

2018: 9-3

2019: 7-5

8-4 seems like a reasonable expected record under Herman. Maybe we'll be better.  Maybe not.  Last year should have taught you not to read too much into the bowl game.  

At this point, Herm has not earned the benefit of the doubt.  Show me.  

I agree you should never read too much into any particular game, particularly a bowl game against an opponent which has little in common with most of the teams we will be playing next season.

However, I think it’s reasonable to expect a jump next season based off the talent they have accumulated over the past few years and what they return next season.  It’s not like the offense is far off from being an elite unit, and Yurcich was a strong hire.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

For whatever reason, the past decade has shown me that if you want to play championship competitive football you don't play in The Big XII so it would feel unrealistic to set expectations beyond conference success.  Like it or not, OU has almost solely carried this conference's flag and almost every time they reach the playoffs, they not only lose, but are embarrassed, and we never even reach their stage.  Kind of reminds me of The Big Ten last decade.  The thing that turned the Big Ten around?: An influx of elite coaching-- Meyer to Ohio State, Harbaugh to Michigan.  I wonder what, if anything, changes the narrative for the Big XII?  Perhaps nothing but the slow death it seems to have been dying for years.

That really isn’t true about OU.  They’ve been in the playoffs three times.  Lost in double OT to UGA, lost by 11 to Alabama and were blown out by LSU.  They were only embarrassed once.  

One of the things I found interesting about our bowl preparation was that we had so few practices, my memory said Herman said 6 or 7 practices.  Just sounds like we were trying to get guys healthy and rested.  

This season the team underperformed.  The injury bug bit hard but we lost games we should have won with execution alone given or relative talent level.  I admit to wanting to drink the Kool aid this season, and I thought we would clearly be either number one or two after LSU.  I actually blame the offense more for the woes as the offense needed to step up to protect the walking wounded on the defensive side of the ball.

The good news is the scenario keeps repeating itself, win the Big 12 Championship and you have good shot at the BCS.  Toss a win on the road Against finalist LSU in week 2, gives this team every opportunity in the world to take the giant leap forward. Just win. I think that anything less than an appearance in the Big 12 Championship game next season will be viewed as  a failure for a 2021 season for Herman.  

Get to the BIg 12 Championship and win... then the BCS is the likely result.  It will help if we cut down on the bomb incompletes on first down...

37 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That really isn’t true about OU.  They’ve been in the playoffs three times.  Lost in double OT to UGA, lost by 11 to Alabama and were blown out by LSU.  They were only embarrassed once.  

Surrendering 24 unanswered points when you were leading 31-14 isn't an embarrassment? That Rose bowl game was an embarrassment for OU, they had full control of the game until they allowed UGA to score 3 touchdowns and a FG with no response falling behind 38-31 after leading 31-14. UGA pounded the ball down their throat with over 300 yards rushing, that 1980s offense kept pace with OU's juggernaut offense. Choking up a game they had full control of was an embarrassment and typical of chokelahoma.

Edited by Chad

7 wins and herman is gone

8 wins and its 50/50 that hes gone. Gonna depend on how the season went 

9 wins and he stays

10 wins and we back baby

ill be shocked if we win 11

the absolute floor for this team should be 9 wins (including bowl). The expectation should be to compete in the big 12 champ game, nothing less.

that being said, anything less than 10 wins will be a disappointment

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Like 1

7 wins and herman is gone
8 wins and its 50/50 that hes gone. Gonna depend on how the season went 
9 wins and he stays
10 wins and we back baby
ill be shocked if we win 11

the absolute floor for this team should be 9 wins (including bowl). The expectation should be to compete in the big 12 champ game, nothing less.

that being said, anything less than 10 wins will be a disappointment

He has to win the conference and compete for a playoff spot. Anything less than that from him in year 4 is a failure.
  • Like 1