Expectations for 2020 season

SubliminalHorn

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

7 wins and herman is gone

8 wins and its 50/50 that hes gone. Gonna depend on how the season went 

9 wins and he stays

10 wins and we back baby

ill be shocked if we win 11

the absolute floor for this team should be 9 wins (including bowl). The expectation should be to compete in the big 12 champ game, nothing less.

that being said, anything less than 10 wins will be a disappointment

This sounds reasonable, and I think he will win enough to stay another year.  I think 2021 is a much more dangerous season for Herman considering the departure of Ehlinger. 

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

This sounds reasonable, and I think he will win enough to stay another year.  I think 2021 is a much more dangerous season for Herman considering the departure of Ehlinger. 

Stash Jackson (obviously, as he cant play), Card, and move RJ back to qb Spring 2021 and have a devils 4-way qb competition for the ages with Thompson

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

That really isn’t true about OU.  They’ve been in the playoffs three times.  Lost in double OT to UGA, lost by 11 to Alabama and were blown out by LSU.  They were only embarrassed once.  

Clemson also beat them 37-17 in 2015.  And yeah they came back a bit against Bama but started out down 28-0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

That really isn’t true about OU.  They’ve been in the playoffs three times.  Lost in double OT to UGA, lost by 11 to Alabama and were blown out by LSU.  They were only embarrassed once.  

OU’s been in the playoff 4 times.  (1) Baker Mayfield Georgia semifinal was competitive.  The other three Oklahoma appearances were blowouts in which it never felt OU had a chance to win regardless of final score. (2) Your OU 11pt loss to Bama last season was something like 28-0 out of the gate- if you want to give props to OU for coming back in the second half, be my guest, but it sure looked to me like Bama took their foot off the gas.  (3) 2015- Clemson shuts out OU in 2nd half for 20 point win. (4)  I don’t think we even need to cover last Saturday against LSU.  Face it, the Big XII is the Houston Texans of college football.

3 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

OU’s been in the playoff 4 times.  (1) Baker Mayfield Georgia semifinal was competitive.  The other three Oklahoma appearances were blowouts in which it never felt OU had a chance to win regardless of final score. (2) Your OU 11pt loss to Bama last season was something like 28-0 out of the gate- if you want to give props to OU for coming back in the second half, be my guest, but it sure looked to me like Bama took their foot off the gas.  (3) 2015- Clemson shuts out OU in 2nd half for 20 point win. (4)  I don’t think we even need to cover last Saturday against LSU.  Face it, the Big XII is the Houston Texans of college football.

Lol nah. Thats the Texas a&m aggy are the Houston Texans of college football, and vice versa

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol nah. Thats the Texas a&m aggy are the Houston Texans of college football, and vice versa

I hate to say it but the Texans actually do a little winning and are a shit show but nowhere near the shit show of the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry Jones's dumb ass is aggy just with more money. 

14 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

A&M hasn’t been to a playoff since The Wizard of Oz was at the box office.  I’m not sure there’s a futile metaphor fitting enough for what they are.  

Easy as fuck to get into playoffs in the nfl. Especially when u play in the historically worst division in football

at least aggy has a national championship. 

20 hours ago, 6th Street said:

7-5 with losses @ LSU, OU, Baylor, @ KSU, and @ Ok State

LSU and OU will have new QBs - why the auto-concession on these?  We only lose to Baylor if we're experiencing the same perfect storm of injuries we had this year.

2 minutes ago, gecko said:

LSU and OU will have new QBs - why the auto-concession on these?  We only lose to Baylor if we're experiencing the same perfect storm of injuries we had this year.

LSU in Baton Rouge is an L. And OU has a plug and play system, with Rattler being a better passing threat than Hurts. Baylor roughed us up pretty good this year and Rhule is better than Herman. 

Anything short of appearing in the Big 12 Championship game should get him fired before Dec 1st.

If we do make the B12 championship game and win it to make the CFP we need to resist the urge to sign Herman to an extension until after 2021 with a new QB plays itself out.  If we somehow become a plug and play system with a conference championship and compete for CFP spot both years then pay the man his money. 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:07 PM, TexArcher said:

And there is a chance that 2020 Baton Rouge will be the stepping stone that 2005 Columbus was.

There is a chance, but let's be honest:  2005 Longhorns were willed to win by an incredible leader.  Forget his skills as a QB, that team would run through a brick wall for Vince.  I just don't see Sam ever having that kind of charisma.  I like him, I'm happy with him at QB, but if this team is going to beat LSU and win the conference, then some other unit is going to have to step up and be truly dominant.  Maybe that's the defense, I don't know.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is a chance, but let's be honest:  2005 Longhorns were willed to win by an incredible leader.  Forget his skills as a QB, that team would run through a brick wall for Vince.  I just don't see Sam ever having that kind of charisma.  I like him, I'm happy with him at QB, but if this team is going to beat LSU and win the conference, then some other unit is going to have to step up and be truly dominant.  Maybe that's the defense, I don't know.

After what happened in 2004 Vince got that team so worked up they didn't take any opponent lightly in 2005. Aggy on the road was about the worst game they play and still won going away. After escaping their toughest game early they destroyed a top 10 tech along with KU, OU, and Colorado (twice). If Sam has it in him to get this team so riled up they can take down LSU on the road similarly in game 2 then just go all out against everyone else then I'd be surprised. 

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Our already mediocre O-line is losing 2 starters in Shack and Braun and replacing Duvernay's production will be difficult. Defense will improve on the firing of Orlando, which should be at least a partial offset.

if we can't replace Shack and Braun with at least equivalent Hand should be fired.  Sam needs to find a new Duvernay.  it is hard to replace a guy with hands like that.  Jake smith could be that guy but I don't think he's as fast/quick as duvernay.

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

After what happened in 2004 Vince got that team so worked up they didn't take any opponent lightly in 2005. Aggy on the road was about the worst game they play and still won going away. After escaping their toughest game early they destroyed a top 10 tech along with KU, OU, and Colorado (twice). If Sam has it in him to get this team so riled up they can take down LSU on the road similarly in game 2 then just go all out against everyone else then I'd be surprised. 

Yeah, me too.  I think we have all the evidence we need to see that Sam's not that guy.  Vince went 24-1 in two seasons as the exclusive starter.  Sam isn't surrounded by equal talent, but we have plenty, and he just falls short too often.  I'm not saying he's Garrett Gilbert or even Shane Buechele, but he's not going to be the sole catalyst to take this team to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Sam needs to find a new Duvernay.  it is hard to replace a guy with hands like that.  Jake smith could be that guy but I don't think he's as fast/quick as duvernay.

I don't think Dev made his hay quite so much with his blazing speed as he did with his routes and hands, but I agree, he's probably playing above Smith's ceiling.  Regarding raw speed, I've seen 4.38/10.27 numbers for Duvernay.  Smith is claimed to have run a 4.37 but I'm skeptical.  Either way, he has his work cut out for him if he wants to be as impactful as Duvernay.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Our already mediocre O-line is losing 2 starters in Shack and Braun

I think Kerstetter at C next year will be an immediate improvement over Shack. Shack really wasn't very good this year at all and Kerstetter is better off on the inside. There's a pretty good chance that one of W. Tyler, T. Johnson, Jones, Moore, Hookfin, or Okafor (I'd still like to see him at LG) can at least match Kerstetter's production at RT if not be a little better.

For LG, you have Imade, hopefully Okafor, and potentially someone from the Tackle group above competing at LG. We likely take a step back at LG, but we should be able to find someone who's at least competent.  I could see Tyler Johnson winning the LG spot if someone else wins RT. 

Overall, we have the personnel to be above average at OL.  Improved scheme and gameplan will hopefully be the biggest boost to next year's OL moreso than personnel. 

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Sam needs to find a new Duvernay.  it is hard to replace a guy with hands like that.  Jake smith could be that guy but I don't think he's as fast/quick as duvernay.

No one will be as good as Duvernay next year, but every H receiver in Herman's offense has put up big numbers dating back to his time at Houston. I think Smith or Whittington could both be really good at H. CJ only played 4 or 5 games this year, so replacing him won't be quite as difficult, nor will improving on Epps' play as the X during CJ's absence.

Our receiving unit is a legit concern. Eagles has questionable hands, Smith is a relative unknown, Washington hardly got any play, same for Whittington.....

Plus we know none of those guys had been coached up.

That, combined with losing two offensive lineman, means Yurcich has his work cut out for him.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Our receiving unit is a legit concern. Eagles has questionable hands, Smith is a relative unknown, Washington hardly got any play, same for Whittington.....

Plus we know none of those guys had been coached up.

That, combined with losing two offensive lineman, means Yurcich has his work cut out for him.

Let's slow down a little bit here. Losing Duvernay will be really rough. We wont have an X as good as CJ, but we already didn't have him for most of this year. We're bringing back 7 -8 starters on an offense that, despite some terrible gameplanning and play calling, was still a top 20 offense in the country.

We return 3 OL starters and neither of the OL we lost performed at a super high level. We also have a 4th year QB who will likely be one of the 5 best QBs in the entire country. We have a ton of talent at RB all of a sudden, and TE with a senior Brewer and second year Liebrock and Wiley has a solid floor and a decently high ceiling. We're young and inexperienced at WR, but there is a lot of talent there. Eagles and Smith have both shown a lot of potential and even Washington and Lewis flashed some. Moving Whittington to WR could be a big boost and we have the stats to hopefully get a grad transfer at WR if the staff wants to go that route. Plus, all these guys will (hopefully? likely?) be getting real coaching at the position for the first time at Texas. 

I think personnel/talent will be a slight step back from this year, but it's reasonable to expect a pretty big improvement in coaching and game planning.  It's wouldn't be a huge stretch for us to have a top 10 offense next year. 

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think Dev made his hay quite so much with his blazing speed as he did with his routes and hands, but I agree, he's probably playing above Smith's ceiling.  Regarding raw speed, I've seen 4.38/10.27 numbers for Duvernay.  Smith is claimed to have run a 4.37 but I'm skeptical.  Either way, he has his work cut out for him if he wants to be as impactful as Duvernay.

If Yurcich is worth a damn, his offense should utilize the entire receiving core and not rely on a CJ or a Duv to make SportsCenter top 10 plays all game for us to eek out wins..... like this year.  I mean, the offense clicked when both were on the field, but without them both we were shit.

The talent at the receiving position should be enough if we spread it around even if we don’t have the transcendent talents of Duv or CJ.

• Like 1

I don't know where to begin with anyone "expecting" to beat LSU, ousucks, or to win the conference championship game. Neither history nor logic supports any of that. However, I do believe we will be good enough have a great chance at winning those games.

My generic expectations are to move the ball more consistently on offense, have a better scheme on defense, have fewer injuries, and not suffer any embarrassing losses. If we can do well at those things, we should still be in the conference and national conversation in late November whether or not we beat LSU or ou. We will know we've made it when the national pundits suggest that we could be in the playoffs despite a CCG loss.

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Our already mediocre O-line is losing 2 starters in Shack and Braun and replacing Duvernay's production will be difficult. Defense will improve on the firing of Orlando, which should be at least a partial offset.

The O-line was a top 10 run blocking unit.  They struggled some in pass protection, but Sam bears a lot of the blame for his sack rate this season.

2 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

I don't know where to begin with anyone "expecting" to beat LSU, ousucks, or to win the conference championship game. Neither history nor logic supports any of that. However, I do believe we will be good enough have a great chance at winning those games.

My generic expectations are to move the ball more consistently on offense, have a better scheme on defense, have fewer injuries, and not suffer any embarrassing losses. If we can do well at those things, we should still be in the conference and national conversation in late November whether or not we beat LSU or ou. We will know we've made it when the national pundits suggest that we could be in the playoffs despite a CCG loss.

f48038cb96b153253eae61358c9b9c1e.gif