Expectations for 2020 season

SubliminalHorn

22 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The O-line was a top 10 run blocking unit.  They struggled some in pass protection, but Sam bears a lot of the blame for his sack rate this season.

They were good, and will admit that Sam bears some responsibility for holding the ball(I blame OC and WR coach also), Sam also helped them look better in the run blocking area.

unfortunately in the biggest games they failed in 3 of 4.  I'm not sure what to make of the TCU clusterfuck which was a complete team effort.

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

If Yurcich is worth a damn, his offense should utilize the entire receiving core and not rely on a CJ or a Duv to make SportsCenter top 10 plays all game for us to eek out wins..... like this year.  I mean, the offense clicked when both were on the field, but without them both we were shit.

Holy homophones, Batman

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's what you think the source of the inconsistency is?

You posted that question as if I said he is the only problem, so I don't know if I should take your question serious. That being said, being that he is the QB and his play is inconsistent, YES, I think his inconsistency is a big problem. Not "the source," as there is more than one, but a major one. I hope that helps. 

Edited by BLH111

1 minute ago, BLH111 said:

You posted that question as if I said he is the only problem, so I don't know if I should take your question serious. That being said, being that he is the QB and his play is inconsistent, YES, I think his inconsistency is a big problem. Not "the source," as there is more than one, but a major one. I hope that helps. 

He's about as consistent as anyone you're going to find at the college level below the this-year Burrow and last-year Tua. Even Trevor Lawrence had an off streak to start this season.

• Like 1

It's kinda tough for me to gauge my expectations for next year, esp after the pretty impressive (imho) showing against #11 Utah & their #1 rush D. I thought we were pretty good early and played LSU about as well as anyone has, & then a shit-ton of injuries hit us & obviously hurt. We obviously had a significant amount of shitty coaching in there as well, & the wheels came off. But got damn if we didn't play some nice D against Utah, and run the ball pretty fucking well to boot. If the coaching changes are solid and it doesn't take too long for the players to adapt, I actually think we could be good to very good next year.

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's about as consistent as anyone you're going to find at the college level below the this-year Burrow and last-year Tua. Even Trevor Lawrence had an off streak to start this season.

Sam was not just inconsistent at times, he had terrible games against ISU, TCU, Baylor, and he wasn't very good against OU. That is 33% of our games. I pay attention to what I see each game, not the sum of all games (that can provide a false sense of security). I don't simply compare stats (that can provide a false sense of security), a QB is more than that. Sam is inconsistent. If you don't agree, I understand.

Edited by BLH111
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Sam was not just inconsistent at times, he had terrible games against ISU, TCU, Baylor, and he wasn't very good against OU. That is 33% of our games. I pay attention to what I see each game, not the sum of all games (that can provide a false sense of security). I don't simply compare stats (that can provide a false sense of security), a QB is more than that. Sam is inconsistent. If you don't agree, I understand.

Ehlinger obviously has room to improve, but I'd expect someone touting their own ability to evaluate to not miss the very obvious negative influence of the offensive gameplanning and in-game coaching in these games. OU is particularly hard to really knock him for given the vanilla game plan; not to mention the OL play, and the fact that the WRs dropped one sure TD and another that may well have gone to the house. He also shredded ISU when Herman momentarily removed his head from his ass.

When given a resonable chance to succeed, Ehlinger performed pretty well this year. The speed of his decision making and deep accuracy still leave something to be desired, and at this point those aren't going to improve, but he's perfectly capable of being an all conference player as is. He was one of the top 3-4 QBs in the conference this year. He's capable of being one of the best two next year with better offensive coaching that does a better job of setting guys up for success.

As for expectations, it's just too early to play that game but if I had to throw a dart at the wall give me 9-3, no conference title, Herman stays.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The ceiling for this team is higher than that and you know it. 

Higher than 2nd is 1st.  So that means you think Texas wins the Big XII and wins the championship game, finishing somewhere around (give or take the LSU game), 11-2 or 12-1.  That's certainly possible but I think the thread title is "Expectations for 2020", meaning what we expect to have happen in 2020.  I expect this team to not win 12 games.  Sorry, that's just me.  our 180 degree about face after beating up Utah is curious to me.  But I look forward to a fun 2020 season.  I'll see you on the SWA flight to Stillwater!  

But yes, sorry...a program that's finished in 2nd just two times in the last decade will win the league and go to the CFP because 'Texas'.  Got it.  

Edited by Lobo

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

At best:  NY6 at-large berth, after finishing 2nd/3rd in Big XII.

At worst:  CampingWorld Bowl Bid, after finishing 8-4/7-5. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Higher than 2nd is 1st.  So that means you think Texas wins the Big XII and wins the championship game, finishing somewhere around (give or take the LSU game), 11-2 or 12-1.  That's certainly possible but I think the thread title is "Expectations for 2020", meaning what we expect to have happen in 2020.  I expect this team to not win 12 games.  Sorry, that's just me.  our 180 degree about face after beating up Utah is curious to me.  But I look forward to a fun 2020 season.  I'll see you on the SWA flight to Stillwater!  

I don’t think you know what the term “at best” means. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

There's a difference between saying that's what I expect and saying your best case scenario is too weak. We can fuck around a bit below the team's overall ceiling and still win the conference on sheer talent next year if things come together - hence the at best would be higher.

EDIT: Burt explained it better with fewer words. Damn lawyers.

Edited by texifornia

Okay, then we win it all, 15-0.  Fun thread.  

Me personally, I  have a "expectation for 2020" less than that and, and then have to listen to the adults figure out how to count the Herman buyout towards the capital campaign.  

Accounting is a pisser.  But anyway, he's here for another two seasons.  

Thread is called "Expectations".  My first line was my opinion of "at best"      I don't see anywhere the phrase "best case scenario" 

Thank you for maths.  Yes I realize the best case scenario is 15-0.  Why do we need a thread to indicate a 1.000 winning percentage?

If this thread is dedicated to best case scenario, it's not needed.  The title is literally "Expectations for 2020", meaning less cock for most of you and your mothers.

I think there' still some battered fan syndrome going around. We had the talent to beat Georgia two years ago. We had the talent this year to assrape #11 Utah on both sides of the ball.

It boils down to the coaching. We still lack the talent that we'll have in after a few years of winning, we're below the Clemson/Alabama/Ohio State level. But winning the conference? Why not? Beating LSU? Doable. It comes down to coaching. Herman coached up the underdogs and beat some big teams. He's done none of that here. 

On 1/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Ehlinger is the 5th best... maybe 4th best qb in school history. He will fucking be in the heisman convo next season with a legit OC/coach

goddamn yall

He was in the heisman conversation this year, before falling out of it. So ok.

Texas hasn't put out many great QB's, so I'm not moved by that either. Some things just sound good.

• Fuck You 2

On 1/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, gmr548 said:

Ehlinger obviously has room to improve, but I'd expect someone touting their own ability to evaluate to not miss the very obvious negative influence of the offensive gameplanning and in-game coaching in these games. OU is particularly hard to really knock him for given the vanilla game plan; not to mention the OL play, and the fact that the WRs dropped one sure TD and another that may well have gone to the house. He also shredded ISU when Herman momentarily removed his head from his ass.

When given a resonable chance to succeed, Ehlinger performed pretty well this year. The speed of his decision making and deep accuracy still leave something to be desired, and at this point those aren't going to improve, but he's perfectly capable of being an all conference player as is. He was one of the top 3-4 QBs in the conference this year. He's capable of being one of the best two next year with better offensive coaching that does a better job of setting guys up for success.

As for expectations, it's just too early to play that game but if I had to throw a dart at the wall give me 9-3, no conference title, Herman stays.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Get out of your feelings and chill with the hyperbole to make a point that is not there. I never touted anything. I simply said I pay attention to each game, not the sum of them. How is that touting anything? That's you being over-sensitive about Sam.  Are you about to cry and say "that's my quarterback."

Beyond that, your post has more excuses than a man going to jail. I live in reality.

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Average victory margin of 21 points with none within 7. College and NFL championships. Nude pom squad. A minimum of 5 sooner meth ODs on the field during the RRS. The Jimbo-Toilet Smurf-Luicci lemon party sex tape is leaked. Iran nukes College Station.

Excited Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

11 hours ago, BLH111 said:

Get out of your feelings and chill with the hyperbole to make a point that is not there. I never touted anything. I simply said I pay attention to each game, not the sum of them. How is that touting anything? That's you being over-sensitive about Sam.  Are you about to cry and say "that's my quarterback."

Beyond that, your post has more excuses than a man going to jail. I live in reality.

To go full coach mensa on you, below are the definitions of "tout."

Merriam-Webster: "To make much of: promote, talk up."

Cambridge: "To advertise, talk about, or praise something or someone repeatedly, especially as a way of encouraging people to like, accept, or buy something."

Your posts: "I pay attention to what I see each game, not the sum of all games (that can provide a false sense of security). I don't simply compare stats (that can provide a false sense of security)..." "I simply said I pay attention to each game, not the sum of them... I live in reality."

You are making much of, promoting, talking up, talking about, etc. the way you watch/evaluate the game/QB play as if it's something special in an effort to get people to accept/buy - not a in a literal, transactional sense, obviously, but in terms of finding your stance credible - your assertion that Ehlinger is inconsistent/overrated. That is what touting is.

As to the rest of your post, let me get this straight: You have five posts on this board. All five are to express your opinion that Ehlinger is inconsistent/overrated. I respond to one of them by laying out a few points in rebuttal to that claim. Nothing particularly personal, subjective, or even in depth, just a handful of observations of things that happened over the course of the year that could lead a reasonable observer to conclude that the QB play was fairly good given the circumstances.

You respond, not with any sort of evidence to the contrary, but instead claim that I am getting too emotional and am using hyperbole to make my point. In this post you call me "over-sensitive," tell me my post "has more excuses than a man going to jail," and boast that you "live in reality." None of these provide any shred of evidence or support for your claim. Your post is an attempt to discredit my take with petty insults that any reasonably intelligent reader of my post would know are not based in reality given that my approach was pretty matter-of-fact. And of course, the best part is that the quotations and punctuation show you clearly made an attempt to get the grammar correct in your quote of TO, but still manage to fuck that up by ending a question with a period.

That's the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it. Which, if you're not familiar with the meaning of that phrase either, means you're doing the exact thing you're accusing me of.

Tl;dr: You're a fucking idiot, and I say that for reasons completely beyond your take on Sam Ehlinger. Honestly, I'm dumber now that I was five minutes ago for having bothered to respond to you at all. You should try texags or tigerdroppings, I think you'll find the company to be much more intellectually compatible.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 8:31 PM, gmr548 said:

To go full coach mensa on you, below are the definitions of "tout."

Merriam-Webster: "To make much of: promote, talk up."

Cambridge: "To advertise, talk about, or praise something or someone repeatedly, especially as a way of encouraging people to like, accept, or buy something."

Your posts: "I pay attention to what I see each game, not the sum of all games (that can provide a false sense of security). I don't simply compare stats (that can provide a false sense of security)..." "I simply said I pay attention to each game, not the sum of them... I live in reality."

You are making much of, promoting, talking up, talking about, etc. the way you watch/evaluate the game/QB play as if it's something special in an effort to get people to accept/buy - not a in a literal, transactional sense, obviously, but in terms of finding your stance credible - your assertion that Ehlinger is inconsistent/overrated. That is what touting is.

As to the rest of your post, let me get this straight: You have five posts on this board. All five are to express your opinion that Ehlinger is inconsistent/overrated. I respond to one of them by laying out a few points in rebuttal to that claim. Nothing particularly personal, subjective, or even in depth, just a handful of observations of things that happened over the course of the year that could lead a reasonable observer to conclude that the QB play was fairly good given the circumstances.

You respond, not with any sort of evidence to the contrary, but instead claim that I am getting too emotional and am using hyperbole to make my point. In this post you call me "over-sensitive," tell me my post "has more excuses than a man going to jail," and boast that you "live in reality." None of these provide any shred of evidence or support for your claim. Your post is an attempt to discredit my take with petty insults that any reasonably intelligent reader of my post would know are not based in reality given that my approach was pretty matter-of-fact. And of course, the best part is that the quotations and punctuation show you clearly made an attempt to get the grammar correct in your quote of TO, but still manage to fuck that up by ending a question with a period.

That's the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it. Which, if you're not familiar with the meaning of that phrase either, means you're doing the exact thing you're accusing me of.

Tl;dr: You're a fucking idiot, and I say that for reasons completely beyond your take on Sam Ehlinger. Honestly, I'm dumber now that I was five minutes ago for having bothered to respond to you at all. You should try texags or tigerdroppings, I think you'll find the company to be much more intellectually compatible.

You're a tragic clown. I get that you're in love with Sam, but you have went straight b**** mode. If my comments make your pu$$y hurt, then take it like a champ, fuck boy. Why would I need evidence to prove that I never touted anything. I simply didn't do it. And you called me an idiot. B**** never speak on intellect, you gnat on a dogs dick. You have the IQ of a dead toenail. All because I'm not all Goldilocks over Sam. Man up b****. You're stuck on stupid. I gives not a f***, about a post count. You need some pu$$y, pu$$y. Post count? I laughed.

Edited by BLH111
  • Fuck You 4