Don't fire Naivar?

closetohumping

His value as a coach is as a motivator.  He gets players to play like their hair is on fire.  We need that because it makes a huge difference in the result.  That’s really what Herman means by alignment.  Too bad, though, because unless Ash coaches CBs (which I don’t think is a good idea) there’s no position for Naivar.  

Rewatching Alamo Bowl and reminded of Sugar Bowl game last year -- Utah offensive style similar to Georgia so Texas Defense matches up better.  Great to see better DL pass rush and penetration -- definitely some positive energy for Texas Defense to take into 2020!!

Unfortunately not a fair test to really assess Naivar as DC -- Utah offense SUCKS and their style is nothing like a LSU or blOU offense.

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Utah offense SUCKS and their style is nothing like a LSU or blOU offense.

It does not “suck”.  It’s better than TCUs, ISUs, and Baylor’s and was a top 20 offense by most meaningful measurements.   Pretty much every team we played had some scheme to get cheap yards by exploiting our soft edge.  Until this game.  Props to Naivar for finally making the appropriate adjustment.  I don’t think anyone thinks he would hold up as a DC in the Big 12, but he at least showed himself to have a basic level of competency as a defensive coach.  

I think you have to ignore last night’s game and look at Naivar’s whole body of work, which is pretty subpar. It’s hard to tell exactly how bad our position coaches were because Orlando’s game plans fucked them over so much, but his units haven’t been great. That plus him and Ash coaching the same spot and neither being overly experienced with coaching CBs means he should likely still go. I don’t think he’s necessarily a bad coach, but a change would still be better for Texas IMO. 

As for his interim DC performance, I think it speaks more to just how shitty Orlando was. I usually laugh at folks when they say they could do better than a coach, but with Orlando, I’m pretty sure  90% or Surly would represent an upgrade from him this year. Still, Naivar struggled with outside contain and QB running game. He was probably saved by Utah’s terribly basic game plan. If they had showed much creativity at all, I doubt Naivar would’ve had much of a counter ready. Either way, his performance as interim DC for a single game is pretty irrelevant as to whether he should be retained as a position coach.

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It does not “suck”.  It’s better than TCUs, ISUs, and Baylor’s and was a top 20 offense by most meaningful measurements.   Pretty much every team we played had some scheme to get cheap yards by exploiting our soft edge.  Until this game.  Props to Naivar for finally making the appropriate adjustment.  I don’t think anyone thinks he would hold up as a DC in the Big 12, but he at least showed himself to have a basic level of competency as a defensive coach.  

Utah tried that some, but we didn’t have a soft edge, because Naivar showed the base level of intelligence requires to recognize that Ossai should be utilized as an edge defender.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think you have to ignore last night’s game and look at Naivar’s whole body of work, which is pretty subpar. It’s hard to tell exactly how bad our position coaches were because Orlando’s game plans fucked them over so much, but his units haven’t been great. That plus him and Ash coaching the same spot and neither being overly experienced with coaching CBs means he should likely still go. I don’t think he’s necessarily a bad coach, but a change would still be better for Texas IMO.    As for his interim DC performance, I think it speaks more to just how shitty Orlando was. I usually laugh at folks when they say they could do better than a coach, but with Orlando, I’m pretty sure  90% or Surly would represent an upgrade from him this year. Still, Naivar struggled with outside contain and QB running game. He was probably saved by Utah’s terribly basic game plan. If they had showed much creativity at all, I doubt Naivar would’ve had much of a counter ready. Either way, his performance as interim DC for a single game is pretty irrelevant as to whether he should be retained as a position coach.

giphy.gif

"But can [so-and-so] scheme for Big XII offenses?" is the new "tHe SeC hAs So MuCh sPeEd!!!1" and/or "ThEy WeRe BeAt Up FrOm tHe SeC gRiNd!!!11"

Most of the offenses in this conference aren't especially revolutionary these days. Outside of OU, almost none of them are even all that good. Just stop. Please.