Cort Jaquess appreciation thread!

ButtFumble

WTF is that?

#57!

HVnBI4.jpg

A third-year linebacker who has played in 14 career games ... awarded a scholarship on Aug. 14, 2019, during a team meeting ... joined the Longhorns prior to the beginning of the 2017 season ... two-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (fall 2017, spring 2018).

SOPHOMORE (2019)
Has played in all five games, contributing primarily on special teams.

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2018)
Played in nine games on special teams ... made his career debut in a 48-45 victory over No. 7 Oklahoma ... played in the 23-17 win over Baylor .. .played in the 38-35 loss to Oklahoma State ... played in the 42-41 loss to No. 12 West Virginia ... played in the 41-34 road win over Texas Tech ... appeared on special teams in the Longhorns' 24-10 win over Iowa State ... played in the 24-17 road win over Kansas ... played on special teams in the Big 12 Championship Game ... helped the Longhorns to a 28-21 win over Georgia in the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

FRESHMAN (2017)
Did not play. 

HIGH SCHOOL
Played at San Antonio Churchill High School ... played for coach Ron Harris ... helped the Chargers to an 11-3 record his senior season ... also played baseball in high school. 

PERSONAL
Son of Jay Jaquess, who played defensive end at Texas and was a three-year Letterman from 1986-88.

• Like 9

Q. Over these eight practices, what did you and your defensive staff see from Cort to have confidence in giving him a start today, and with you being down a few linebackers, how big was his play?

HEAD COACH TOM HERMAN: Oh, yeah, Cort's a great story. You know, if there was a Scout Team Player of the Year award, he would have won it probably back-to-back years. He's really tough, really physical and just understands football. He sees the game really, really well, and we knew that -- you know, we were going to be short in that area, especially with Joe and Jeff playing close to the line of scrimmage needing those guys to play close to the line of scrimmage. We were going to need him to be in that rotation and he came through in a big way.

1 hour ago, Acropora said:

Q. Over these eight practices, what did you and your defensive staff see from Cort to have confidence in giving him a start today, and with you being down a few linebackers, how big was his play?

HEAD COACH TOM HERMAN: Oh, yeah, Cort's a great story. You know, if there was a Scout Team Player of the Year award, he would have won it probably back-to-back years. He's really tough, really physical and just understands football. He sees the game really, really well, and we knew that -- you know, we were going to be short in that area, especially with Joe and Jeff playing close to the line of scrimmage needing those guys to play close to the line of scrimmage. We were going to need him to be in that rotation and he came through in a big way.

he plays like a coach on the field

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Why exactly was he playing last night?  Who was injured?

I don't think anyone was injured. They wanted to keep a RS on Gbenda, and he ended up being sent home along with Vaughns. I mean Dele played too. I think they were playing some 3-4 and 3-3 fronts, so there was usually 2 ILB on the field. Ossai almost exclusively played on the LOS, and we don't have a lot of ILB anyway.

He played great but I don't recall seeing him much if at all in the 2nd half, wondered what happened. Cool to see him, Sterns, and Kerstetter starting in a game in San Antonio. I've known about the Jaquess bros since they were in high school. They were both instrumental in a pretty magical run for Churchill during the 2016 season. 

Cort reminds me of one of those guys at Iowa State. He wasn’t highly recruited or extremely talented, but he works his ass off, understands the game and uses fundamentals to make up the talent gap. And in doing so is a really solid college player and quite frankly those types have beaten us over the last decade so, if you can’t beat them join them? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Cort reminds me of one of those guys at Iowa State. He wasn’t highly recruited or extremely talented, but he works his ass off, understands the game and uses fundamentals to make up the talent gap. And in doing so is a really solid college player and quite frankly those types have beaten us over the last decade so, if you can’t beat them join them? 

Clemson has 2 white guys at LB that were crushing OSU. of course it doesn't really matter the color. our LB coaching has been shit.  Todd Orlando was stealing money.

54 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Yes, it's hard to believe football players that understand the game turn out to be better than kids with measurables but no heart or instincts (sarcasm). Texas should recruit more of the former instead of so many measurable projects. 

4 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Would you say that he brings his lunch pail to work, and is a real blue collar, high-effort player?

• Haha 1