Family loses matriarch after she's killed, likely by celebratory gunfire in N. Harris Co.

Francisco 2.0

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Terrible.  Is it racist to observe that hispanics seem fond of using firearms as fireworks?  Is that a neighborhood with a strong hispanic presence?

Used to live a mile from the Rio Grande in Laredo and you'd always hear gunshots on New Year's Eve.

2 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

spacer.png

Black powder blanks are loud and dirty blanks.

Yeah, there's no way I would try and shoot those in something like a 10/22. Without any sort of projectile, I'm not sure if they would cycle or not in a blow back action. And then you have to clean the gun really well the next day to keep it from turning into a bucket of rust.

This is what always amazes me about Middle East countries. We always see videos of huge crowds unloading their AKs into the air. Seems like there would be tons of deaths in the surrounding areas. I guess there probably are and we just don’t hear about them, but you’d think they would stop doing it so much if they kept killing their family and friends.

6 hours ago, Bookman said:

Used to live a mile from the Rio Grande in Laredo and you'd always hear gunshots on New Year's Eve.

We had a new one this holiday season over by me which was Christmas Eve fireworks. Not sure they had fireworks at the manger.

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

I like to play the annual New Year's Eve game of "Is It Fireworks or Gunfire?" when midnight strikes in my area (East Dallas). 

Used to do this all the time as a kid in the grove. I still can't believe people do this shit. 

This seems like one of those actions that no one would own up to doing it/thinking it's cool.  Then they get a few drinks in them, and someone goes to grab their gun leading everyone else to do the same.

I don't know if it was the mid-week NYE, but I think there were fewer fireworks in my neighborhood in central Houston.  Or maybe I just didn't hear them. but then again I live in a neighborhood that perhaps 98% of the residents don't have fireworks so it all depends on whether the 2% are in town or not.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My folks lived in Braeburn Valley West in Houston till around 95. A year or so before they moved, mom saw a dark spot on the living room ceiling. Then realized it was a hole. Looked down, and found a 9mm round on the carpet. Nearby apartments were rather sketchy. Round fell through roof and ceiling both.

Idiots shooting into the air are idiots.

Probably just roflbox drumming up some business.