Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

On 1/26/2020 at 11:41 AM, CooterBrown said:

This year’s Nomura at PHP was disappointing. No haze and more of a west coast IPA. Tastes more like a Jellyfish batch that didn’t turn out right.

This batch was definitely a letdown. It didn't look or taste like Nomura. At least they let us know a day or two before the release. That was cool.

This batch was definitely a letdown. It didn't look or taste like Nomura. At least they let us know a day or two before the release. That was cool.

Seems like every other batch is on point. Last time it was great and before that it was bad. Oh well, we can look forward to the next one.

PHP has a bad habit of completely messing with recipes to such an extent, it results in a different beer. Just. Stop. It. If you replace most of the hop varieties, like they did with this batch, it’s no longer Nomura. Call it something else.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

i’ve never even heard of these guys yet they have a 30bbl system and at least 350bbl of fermentation capacity. That’s enough to make as much as Zilker Brewing.

Took over the ol’ Thirsty Planet space. I mean, i wasnt expecting much, and knew they would likely suck.. but jeez, 10 beers on tap, maybe 1 that i would drink again

As much as I love “big” boozy beers, I’m really loving the recent trend and output from breweries in making lower calorie beers and session IPAs in particular. Firestone Walker’s Flyjack has the same 96 calories as a Miller Lite but is a hell of a lot more hoppy and flavorful. On a related note, Firestone Walker has become more and more of a go to pick for me at a store. Love their mixed IPA/hoppy beer 12 pack boxes available everywhere (including evens places like Target) and at a great price.

796ec3f90bbd13f8b1ff165b092b6a7d.jpg

• Like 2

Not gonna lie: been hoarding it here as it just recently showed up and I’m not sure yet how regularly or not we will get it. Wish it would’ve been here throughout the full football season. It’s a perfect “game is going into overtime...do I want another drink?” “beer”

Turns out American Solera makes some great IPAs. Had Ella, The Influencer, Torche Boucher, Terpy Citra, and West Coast Haze. All were good to great.

Chase Healey was also there just chilling in sweatpants drinking beer and talking hop varieties with his buddies. What a life.

American Solera is a top 5 brewery nationally.

IMO

Had Left Hand Peanut Butter Milk stout and was fairly disappointed. Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is one of my go tos when there aren’t any good stouts on the menu so I was surprised not to like the PB seasonal as much.

BFF5-A832-5449-4722-8-DBB-C25-FE50-C3352

Also had Boulevard Restless Nights and really enjoyed it. 

A45-FE98-C-25-E2-4354-ADD0-348-FFF37200-

Edited by Archer

On 2/7/2020 at 2:31 PM, 4th&Five said:

Spending a night in OKC in April.  Besides Prairie what should I check out?

There are 7 or 8 breweries within a mile or so of Prairie all with a little different vibe and style. Also a new beer hall right off the park with 100 taps. It may be the best option to try a variety of locals. 

22 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Fairly certain that this one is only available at the brewery.

I should have been clearer.  They had ZERO Live Oak, as I am seeing my son in Missouri in March and was gonna grab him at least a case of Live Oak hefe and one for myself.  Would have done the same on the Dopplebock.

Also @Archer, son has Boulevard and some Mother's Brewing stuff from Springfield to hold serve when we go up there to go see him.

Edited by Iceman

I should have been clearer.  They had ZERO Live Oak, as I am seeing my son in Missouri in March and was gonna grab him at least a case of Live Oak hefe and one for myself.  Would have done the same on the Dopplebock.

Also@Archer, son has Boulevard and some Mother's Brewing stuff from Springfield to hold serve when we go up there to go see him.

Live Oak doesn’t distribute in Dallas. They briefly did about 2 years ago but then they stopped. I was told that they were limiting their focus to south/central TX.