Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

It was astutely pointed out to me that I was living in the past (back in that 2019 thread...for losers) so I’ll quote it here as well. Also, I have many, many fine pint glasses that I use for many, many fine beers so I’ll be watching this thread with much interest.

Oregon vs Wisconsin beer to celebrate the granddaddy of them all Rose Bowl game between the Ducks and the Badgers. Good times.

3d04395f78d05da7374f71314d18cac8.jpg

99e2c04fac15e3bdf6c2b67fa9f4b633.jpg

• Like 1

My 2020 resolution: don’t buy any pint glasses.

This is a good resolution. The thing about my pint glass collection that I realized: I actually specifically bought very few of them (unless as a souvenir from an out or town brewery) and the vast majority of them were either from (i) free bar/brewery giveaways when you bought the pint or (ii) part of Alamo Drafthouse screenings where you get the glass as an extra to the movie/event you are watching.

This is a good resolution. The thing about my pint glass collection that I realized: I actually specifically bought very few of them (unless as a souvenir from an out or town brewery) and the vast majority of them were either from (i) free bar/brewery giveaways when you bought the pint or (ii) part of Alamo Drafthouse screenings where you get the glass as an extra to the movie/event you are watching.

You don’t have to take them home with you; you know that, right?

In the vein of "Pintglass Ridicule/ debate/ discussion" somebody on the 2019 thread said they just drink beer out of the cans, even though they own several glasses. When I am at my house, virtually every beer I drink gets poured into a glass, albeit the properly shaped one, not necessarily a pint.  I drink mostly stouts/ porters/ browns, & the like and enjoy that they generally release some of the carbonation when poured, as well as warm a bit faster than in the original can/ bottle.  Those beers generally taste better as they warm from ice box temps. When I go to parties such as NYE, I take my own glass in my cooler, so 1) it's easier to identify mine and 2) for the reasons above.  I guess a trivial, yet important to me reason is that I like the sentimental connection to events/ places/ people that the beer drinking occasion may have.  I choose my glass accordingly.

Do you prefer drinking beer from a glass, or does it make zero difference to you?  i know in the end, the beer is all that matters...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

In the vein of "Pintglass Ridicule/ debate/ discussion" somebody on the 2019 thread said they just drink beer out of the cans, even though they own several glasses. When I am at my house, virtually every beer I drink gets poured into a glass, albeit the properly shaped one, not necessarily a pint.  I drink mostly stouts/ porters/ browns, & the like and enjoy that they generally release some of the carbonation when poured, as well as warm a bit faster than in the original can/ bottle.  Those beers generally taste better as they warm from ice box temps. When I go to parties such as NYE, I take my own glass in my cooler, so 1) it's easier to identify mine and 2) for the reasons above.  I guess a trivial, yet important to me reason is that I like the sentimental connection to events/ places/ people that the beer drinking occasion may have.  I choose my glass accordingly.

Do you prefer drinking beer from a glass, or does it make zero difference to you?  i know in the end, the beer is all that matters...

Always pour into a glass.  All beer is made to be enjoyed that way.  Even a shaker pint glass, is better than drinking from the packaging container.  But not as good as drinking from the proper glass, of course, which is one reason why Belgian bars are so much fun-- all that glassware!

Looking to save some money this year (I took a look at my credit card bills and yowsa! I spent a ton on local craft beer and whiskey). Thought I should mix in some cheaper stuff, but I just can’t do bud/miller/coors. Gave these Trader Joe’s beers a try and I like them quite a bit, for the price. Simpler Times is $7.50 for a 12 pack, the others are $5 a six pack. I wouldn’t take it to a party or replace my favorite craft, but for the price, it’ll go into my lawn mowing, couch sitting, porch swinging, and sports watching rotation.

5605f3a021ed886ee1b269fc441dce3d.jpg

30 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

wtf is community in an old CVS? that pos looks like it belongs in college station next to texags.

It looks like an old strip mall, across the highway from the American Airlines Center. Weird looking on the outside. It reminds me of an old Toys R Us or something. But the loading dock area is where the equipment and "fun" part of the brewery is, and the inside is nice. The beers are top notch, although it's been probably a year since I've had one, and two years since I've been to the taproom.

4 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

wtf is community in an old CVS? that pos looks like it belongs in college station next to texags.

Their beers are just okay but they probably have the best setup next to Martinhouse.  Feel like Turning Point and Celestial serve the best product followed closely by Lakewood and Division.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, 'stache said:

I can taste the difference between a beer straight from the can and one poured in a glass. I can't tell the difference between different types of glass containers. I generally just use our regular glasses or one of my pint glasses. 

I'm right there with you.  I have kids and a dog and tile floors.  I lose a glass every month or so.  So I just keep the freebie  pint glasses in the cabinet.  I have a few special glasses for special beers though.  Hell I've been to a few breweries that serve in small Mason jars.