Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

4-CB3-CBB7-F10-F-40-DB-9-D1-D-D33-AA6-B1

Look, I enjoy a pastry stout (and an “unflavored” stout) as much as the next guy, but why is the trend to 1) make beer taste the least like beer as possible and 2) give self the diabetus. 

Do people not like beer flavored beer? Have I officially become an old man yelling at clouds?

• Like 2

Been in San Diego for a long weekend. May do a larger post when I sift though all the pics of breweries we went to in between all of the gorgeous scenery but wanted to post this as I am sitting here at their bar. Just learned that the Toronado San Diego will close down around March or so. While I recognize that San Francisco is the original (and superior) Toronado, this place holds a special place in my heart for being the place I first had Pliny the Younger (with AUTF on here).

A final Pliny the Elder in your honor:

40e4bb932a1fe578e35d0801d1de8de9.jpg

RIP Toronado San Diego

• Like 2

I saw that news yesterday MDL. RIP Toronado SD. A lot of good memories there, including those Youngers with you and the Mrs. Wonder what happened? That place and O'Briens were the kings of the hill when I moved away in 2013. Last time I was at Toronado SD it was dead, and O'Briens not much busier. Is it that there is a brewery tasting room on every corner now?

I hope the original Toronado doesnt suffer the same fate. I'm doing my best to save them.

Happy Hops is indeed. Had a pint of it at a bar in La Jolla and picked up a bottle for mdmost and I to enjoy as part of our Super Bowl beer slate (Northern California beers vs Kansas City beers in honor of the 49ers vs Chiefs).

13e358d213480339c1394d290b5ce6b2.jpg

Currently enjoying a classic old school San Diego West Coast IPA from Pizza Port.

f1ff7073824190d8d9f4590eef2cf1a5.jpg

• Like 2

Speaking of classic West Coast IPAs, while I have had a bunch of Celestial’s great NE IPAs, I have not yet had a chance to try any of their West Coast style offerings they seem to do on only limited occasions. Happened to be over by their brewery yesterday when they opened and decided to grab a 4 pack of their newest West Coast IPA offering, Complicated Disclosure.

Wow! Really impressive! As much as I love the proliferation of NE styles everywhere and locally (via Celestial, Turning Point, etc),

I always love a good classic West Coast style too. Will definitely be on the lookout for future Celestial West Coast style releases.

d3e692e17fa2b60bc235b6285e74a7a4.jpg

5bc2bccffbaf37cc038f00c1a0acdcd0.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/21/2020 at 12:50 PM, Dark Horse said:

Do people not like beer flavored beer? Have I officially become an old man yelling at clouds?

Look at the top selling beers in America...  There's a good majority of beer customers who do not prefer beer flavored beer.

There's a lot of fucked up tasting shit out there right now and some of it sells like hotcakes. IDGAF because if it provides capital to the idustry so they can produce more beer that i enjoy; then I'm all for it.

Question: one of the local establishments says they have a 16oz pour on some of their beer, my favorite of which is a milk stout.

I have been there twice and been served with 12 oz glasses.  Do i ask them WTF, or just take it, knowing what i am getting?