Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

12 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

A good pilsner is a thing of beauty.  A shitty pilsner make me sad. 

But this is true of any, and every, beer style.  It's certainly more difficult to disguise off flavors in a pilsner, I'll give you that.

There are so many great pilsners out there, absolutely no reason to drink a bad one.

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed.  The mark of a shitty pilsner, IMO, is sweetness.  If the first reaction to my palate is sweet over dry, I'm out.

Eh, lots of US craft breweries are way over-hopping their pilsners now, too.  

The mark of a great pilsner, is balance.  If I get sweet OR bitter, it's a problem.  

33 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I just hate pilsners.  Weak shit.  Not sure what that has to do with my love of pussy though.  Not sure what you're trying to say here...

They have nothing to do with each other.  I love pilsners, and have a hard time imagining feeling differently.  But I'm cool with people having the differing opinion.

Just like pussy.

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Saw it on a Craft Beer Austin Instagram post. Someone mentioned in the comments that H&G was the next up for sale. Dunno if that guy is connected.

h&g moved all of their brewing equipment from east austin to san marcos, then there were major infrastructure problems in san marcos and they couldn't brew any beer there for about 7 months. that's why there hasn't been anything on the shelves...they're operating solely on their 5 barrel system in east austin. not sure they can recover from the lost revenue. 

Edited by stc

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Are they moving all the equipment back to the Austin location?  

I don't get their beer in San Antonio, but whenever I'm in Austin I always got some Porter culture when in season.  But I was also pissed they discontinued pale dog.  Those were the only two that made me giggle inside. 

I'm a big fan of The One They Call Zoe, such a great summer beer.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Are they moving all the equipment back to the Austin location?  

They sold back most of their Austin space to the landlord...so even if they had the money to move the equipment back, there's nowhere for it to go. They're trying to sell the SM facility to another brewery in hopes of keeping the business afloat. 

12 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

So what’s the best way to support local breweries? Gift cards or beer to go? Is it better to move the inventory?

I have a shit ton of fridge space.

Yea I'll probably try to buy straight from the source, try to keep 100% of the money in their pockets and not specs or hebs.  

1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

I was very confused by the H&G San Marcos expansion when it was announced and have been even more confused how it’s played out.

It's been very weird.  They've got some great core beers, spotty quality control, misguided expansion goals, and a seemingly lack of interest in being brewers. Very bizarre.

I vaguely remember bottlecap posting that they even tried to sell the eastside operation while SM was under construction. 

Edited by CooterBrown

Live Oak postponing the anniversary party indefinitely.

On the bright side, they'll be setting up a drive-thru beer-to-go tent on their premises, for those that want to avoid the grocery stores.  I'm assuming they'll sell ALL of their packaged beers from that tent, not just the mainstays+1 seasonal that are typically available on store shelves.

12 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

by the time this whole situation shakes out, i think we’ll lose at least 25% and maybe closer to 50% of the breweries in this country.

That's going to be 100% dictated by how long they have to stay closed to the public.  If it's less than a month, I don't think you'll see a ton of fallout directly from the virus (although it might be impetus for those who were barely making it to fold), if it's more than a month it's going to be a bloodbath.

There's a brewery being built in the town where I live.  We currently don't have one in town, but are only 20 miles from Toppling Goliath and Pulpit Rock.  I heard someone say the other day that they feel bad for the folks building it, but I think they're looking at a potential windfall.  By the time this place is actually able to open (going to be 7-8 months likely), we'll likely be on the other side of the pandemic, and there's most likely going to be some gaps in the local drinking establishment market.

There are breweries that are going to lose their ass over COVID-19, but I don't think the interest in craft beer will die.  On the back side of the coming recession will be people who see a demand for the product, cheap money, and cheap real estate.