Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

Damn 2010?! My oldest beer is a 2011 Pumpkinator I plan on drinking next year. I kind of quit cellaring beyond that beer and a few others. 

I quit cellaring because it seemed like I never ended up drinking the beers.

I also quit cellaring and noticed that pretty much all of my “cellaring” seemed to have ended around 2015-ish and I tie that to (thinking back to that time) the influx of then new to Texas breweries, the rise of local breweries (which, crazy enough as it is to think now, there actually weren’t many back then), plus the huge rise of seasonal/special/new releases from all of the breweries available to us. Seriously, we all take it for granted now, but if you went back 10 years ago and looked at how many “new” beers were on the shelves each week it was very, very few. Now, how many (dozens) of new beers are released in this (and every?) market each and every week? Once that started happening is when I noticed my (unintentional) “cellar” started growing and growing. I stopped buying new stuff to cellar by around 2015 and have tried to use this time to work through it. Good news is that it’s all held up remarkable well.
  • Like 1

Also, P.S.

I actually have older beers still in my fridge:

2009 Real Ale Sisyphus:

6cfd8e9753b4be62a3bfe2476121916f.jpg

which I will very likely continue to hold on to just because at this point as (1) my taste since then has generally moved away from most barleywines (whereas back then and to my prior post, it was kind of special back in 2009 to get such a “different” style around here) plus (2) I actually shared a 2007 with friends a few years back and it hadn’t held up well at all.

Also, the queen mother of all old as fuck cellared beers, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 1995 vintage of Samuel Adams’ Triple Bock:

e8c9b47589d43a23d04c9dd93f075884.jpg

dca5ce4d33dc76080bf7bdbaf7caea21.jpg

I just keep this around for shits and giggles now. Had it back in 1995 and, between 3 guys, we had to force ourselves to choke it down. Tasted, smelled and looked like soy sauce. Randomly found a place here in Dallas several years back that for some reason was sitting on a bunch of it and sold me some for real cheap which I had the bright idea of seeing how it would do as a baste for some BBQ (terrible: tasted like soy sauce) and also shared one a few years back (also soy sauce). Now I just amuse myself with the fact that I’ve got a 25 year old bottle of beer in my fridge. Also, holy shit that 25 years has passed since I first had a particular beer that I still have in my fridge.

• Like 3