Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

How's business for you, pdb?   I hope you're managing through this alright, or at least as well as can be.  Hang in there, seriously.

we had to furlough 2 full time sales reps, a delivery driver, and our assistant brewer. the taproom staff has been manning beer-to-go sales. my partner and i have done all the brewing, cellaring, and packaging. but, sales have been great. our distro business disappeared completely but we’re selling a ton of crowlers and 4-packs. the margins compared to draft beer are trash when you can on our scale (ordering 1 or 2 pallets of cans at a time), but we’re certainly in a much better spot than just about anyone who has no canning line. bringing in enough to pay all of our bills at least.
  • Like 7

does it actually taste like beer? some of these fruit smoothie beers looks so ridiculous to me, i just can’t.

Nope. Not really my bag either, but had a chance to grab a crowler during global pandemic.

85/15 : smoothie/Berliner Weisse

Was actually pretty viscous and just a little pulp. Would not drink again as Friday afternoon beer. Will drink again on the .01% chance I’m in the mood for a slightly alcoholic dessert smoothie.
  • Like 1

Two stops for me today

Batch for some Stardust hazy and Sjöfn strawberry farmhouse, which might be my favorite beer in austin right now. 

Stop two was hold out. Pretty pricey, but damn, their pils is ABGB quality. Their juicy IPA is damned good too. Probably worth the $18 for 6. The pils is definitely worth the $15/6. They open officially this Thurs.

Edited by Bottlecap

On 3/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, TBGFL said:

They used to do a rotating hop variety in this beer. Always very well made.

They just started canning their Florida Man DIPA which is extremely good. 10 years ago, Cigar City was untouchable in Florida but now, with outsourced production of their core stuff, it's fallen off a bit. It's still good beer but Jai Alai is not even remotely as good as it was when it was made on premises. 

Thanks for sharing this information. I wasn't lucky enough to get there 10 years ago, but their taproom is #1 or #1A that I've ever been to for great tasting samples. The Hunahpu may be the best beer I've had. Buying Jai Alai from my Kroger in Galveston may not be in the same ballpark as the good ole days but it's still damn good. Oh and I bought Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Spec's this weekend, can't wait to try it this week.

9 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I mean thats a little over three dollars per pint for a startup brewery doing the highest quality version of a difficult style to impress with in Austin, but go on with $22/4packs of hazy IPAs i guess

Well first of all, I agree with you and will be happy to try out their product.  It's THE hardest style to nail and this is a tough town to do it in.

But, I'm not sure accusing HJ of pounding $22/4packs of hazy IPAs is just right here.  You could definitely accuse him of drinking way too much Belgian fruitwater and not nearly enough 'Murica.  I hear those Belgian elitist snobs are the absolute worst.

This is a 30 second walk from my office (Burleson area) so I hope they make some good shit. Big space. 

C12BC582-7731-4B80-B6F8-F968F241D9B1.thumb.jpeg.656a802472b808097878a9226221d4ef.jpeg

Meanwhile Brewing is helmed by craft beer industry pros, Will Jaquiss and Nao Ohdera, both hailing from Breakside Brewery in Portland Oregon. With years of production and brewing experience, the duo will use their recipe design and production expertise to develop a wide variety of beer for Meanwhile’s customers.

breakside is a very well respected and run operation that makes awesome beer. so that sounds promising.
  • Like 3