Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

Where’d you get Block 15? /asking for [mention=1546]shnsajax[/mention]

Decided to finally try out the Tavour app during this stay at home time (and as I aborted our spring break to California from which I would’ve otherwise have brought back various beers we don’t get here in Dallas via checked luggage). Liking it. Good selection and satisfying my beers I don’t get here itch I would’ve otherwise scratched during that trip (& other trips I will now miss out on).

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Where’d you get Block 15?

/asking for @shnsajax

Damn straight! Keep hearing rumors they are going to start self distributing here, then again Bale Breaker told me they already had a deal in place last May as did the distributor and still nothing. 

Now that Boneyard is canning, Block 15 just drop in Bend, who then drops in Baker City since Barley Browns is canning and drops in Boise. 

Yeah, this is good. And bite me on the glass. It’s a Pilsner glass. Tonight, I'm going to drink Live Oak Hefeweizen out of a hefeweizen glass and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

A2D39DBC-F51A-4918-B103-5D72056C5177.jpeg

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

What beers typically pair well with Texas BBQ? Brisket, ribs, sausage, etc. Thanks in advance.

Czech Pilsners, German pilsners,  American Czech-style pilsners, American German-style pilsners, Big Red Stout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Picked up some more crowlers from our latest local brewery, Vector Brewing here in Dallas whilst also picking up Mother’s Day lunch. All Quiet is a tasty espresso and vanilla bean 9.6% ABV stout of which my only critique would be I prefer my stouts to be a tad more fuller/chocolatey but it’s still a pretty tasty stout. Also they were apparently out of their cooler, branded crowlers but good on them selling out those. Also good to see full on social distancing practices were observed during the pick up, curbside process.

83f3917a1fac36ce392eb9fcca2904f9.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

This is probably my favorite Midwestern summer beer

78d78c2f54f0ca6ec307a8c293324581.jpg

doesnt look like we can get schell's in austin.  too bad because i'd like to try it.   we get some bell's beers down here, which i believe are from around that area (michigan, minnesota, who can tell the difference?), and those are pretty decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

doesnt look like we can get schell's in austin.  too bad because i'd like to try it.   we get some bell's beers down here, which i believe are from around that area (michigan, minnesota, who can tell the difference?), and those are pretty decent.

Bell's makes some damn fine beers, but saying they're from the same area is like saying something brewed in Dallas is from the same area as something brewed in Birmingham, AL  That's about how close they are.

I don't think Schell's has anywhere close to a large scale distribution, either.  I'm thinking it gets to Wisconsin, Iowa, the Dakotas, and maybe Nebraska.  Bell's is a much bigger company from what I've gathered.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

15 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Schell's AFAIK is  similar to Shiner(I realize Gambrinus) in regards to being a former regional brewer that survived all the way to being a "craft brewer".  Which is kinda cool in its own right.

There are definite similarities.  Grain Belt is made by Schell's.  It is (in a sense) to the northern Plains area what Lone Star or Shiner Bock is to Texas.  It's not quite as ubiquitous, because it vanished for a period of time, before Schell's bought the brand and started producing it again roughly 15 years ago.  But you'll find it in any bar west of the Mississippi and north of I-80.

Schell's has been operating since the 1850's.  When the Sioux revolted against the US government, and basically burned the entire Minnesota River Valley to the ground, they spared the Schell's brewery (the Schell family had been friendly to the Sioux).  They survived Prohibition making Root Beer and similar products.  They started introducing styles like Hefeweizens, Bocks, and Marzens into the market before craft beer was popular.  They've evolved into an excellent craft brewery, with a dedicated sour wing (the Starkeller) that is cranking out of some the best of those beers. 

In that sense, they're different from Shiner.  Some of those Shiner "craft" beers are really tasty (I can pound that grapefruit one all day), but in general I see Shiner as much more like Leinenkugel's (without the corporate buy out).  It's craft adjacent.  Something better than AB, but not quite up to the standards or styles of a more serious craft brewer.

As you can tell, I have a lot of respect for the operation and their product.  The only other thing in Minnesota I can be this enthusiastic about is the fucking Vikings.  

12 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

😬

Buy local

Stop celaring 

Drink fresh

Speaking of which, going to try Nomadic today.  I wish Batch was open as I'll be out that way too, but looks like they're Saturday Sunday only

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:01 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Bell's makes some damn fine beers, but saying they're from the same area is like saying something brewed in Dallas is from the same area as something brewed in Birmingham, AL  That's about how close they are.

whatever.   next you're going to try to tell me iowa and ohio are different.

• Like 1

Drinking a $28 32oz crowler of Old Manhattan Old Ale from Battlehops Brewing

Ive only drain poured 2 beers in my life, but this may be the 3rd. Worst beer ive had so far in 2020. Just disgusting. Corona will take them out... but if it doesnt, ill be SHOCKED if they are around by 2022.

are you sure that’s what you’re drinking? because david s., the lone untappd user to have checked in that beer strongly disagrees!

ae53ec309ee3cfec2dcb32656e1dcac4.jpg
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

whatever.   next you're going to try to tell me iowa and ohio are different.

I'm really going to blow your mind here:

A college buddy and I went to the ISU/Akron game out there in 2017.  It took him as long to get from the west side of Des Moines to Akron as it takes him to get from the west side of Des Moines to our other college buddy's place in Plano.

I will never understand why Ohio is considered "Midwest".  It's closer to the Atlantic than the Mississippi.

Edited by Al_4_ISU