Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

9 hours ago, Dangit said:

Lunch is pretty much a perfect beer, imo. 

Cosigned.

Looking forward to getting some Labor Day Weekend.  For some reason they distribute to Wisconsin, and this liquor store/gun shop/canoe and kayak shop near where my in-laws boat gets it on the reg.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Live oak Biergarten opening today allegedly 

Very good news, I hope their "Meal Package" workaround sticks. :)

The biergarten has actually been "open" the past couple weeks by allowing you to consume your beer-to-go purchases on the premises, outdoors in the biergarten and socially distanced of course.  But that didn't allow for any draught beer, so only their packaged stuff was available.  This should work out better.  They have a new American dark lager that I want to try.

16 hours ago, Mango4 said:

Hanging with Royalty today. ac548fa2ce0b10d87b4450a1310b3120.jpg

I haven't pulled the trigger on King Sue in awhile.  I generally think it's one of TG's weaker DIPAs.  Sosus (scaled up Pompeii) and Scorpius Morchella are probably my favorites.

King Sue is either amazing, or it's not, and at the price point I'm not rolling the dice.  I will grab it on tap.

• Like 1

I haven't pulled the trigger on King Sue in awhile.  I generally think it's one of TG's weaker DIPAs.  Sosus (scaled up Pompeii) and Scorpius Morchella are probably my favorites.
King Sue is either amazing, or it's not, and at the price point I'm not rolling the dice.  I will grab it on tap.

Actually the first time I’ve had it. I like it but I do feel like they have better.

Just now, Mango4 said:

Actually the first time I’ve had it. I like it but I do feel like they have better.

When it was first released (probably 2014ish), people just shit their pants in amazement.  I never preferred it to regular Sue, nor the aforementioned DIPAs.  My wife was working at TG at the time, and I was routinely spinning off King Sue bombers in exchange for some pretty awesome beers.  I have had a couple of batches that lived up to the hype, but Sosus is the hill I'm dying on there.

It's a fine beer (they almost never make a bad one), but I think the Citra hop doesn't hold up as well to the amplified alcohol as some other varieties.

42 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

5a5acd81a782786b3c8bb445afd4aa38.jpg

Found this Nov18 gem cellared at remote work location C, I’d forgotten all about. 3 michelob ultras from unknown origin will remain the last of the cellar.

Error 404:Drinkware Not Found

I found some Mich Ultras in my cellar earlier this year.  Threw them in the beer fridge.  Cracked one about a week later, and it definitely tasted old.  Scoured the can for a born on date, and found October of 2013.

I used the rest for brats and chili.

12 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Now that is a beer. Tired of all these pale ales.

It's pretty great, actually.

I've been asking Chip for...well, decades now... to make a Czech cerne dark lager.  He's still holding out on me on that one, but this one is relatively close.  A little roastier than a Czech dark lager would be, and the Cascade hops make it a little brighter than a Czech dark lager which would normally use Saaz, but the overall balance between the heavily roasted malt and the Cascade hops works really, really well.  I give it two thumbs up.  I bought a case of it to-go for the house, and a case of Pilz because it's still 100 degrees outside....  

Edited by utee94

It's pretty great, actually.
I've been asking Chip for...well, decades now... to make a Czech cerne dark lager.  He's still holding out on me on that one, but this one is relatively close.  A little roastier than a Czech dark lager would be, and the Cascade hops make it a little brighter than a Czech dark lager which would normally use Saaz, but the overall balance between the heavily roasted malt and the Cascade hops works really, really well.  I give it two thumbs up.  I bought a case of it to-go for the house, and a case of Pilz because it's still 100 degrees outside....  

Preach!

f03e714808cd9d933db3b7d4f7cd8360.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve seen Lunch, Peeper Pale Ale and Woods & Waters IPA locally. I’d place them in that order, with Lunch way ahead of the other two. Peeper is solid. I didn’t care for Woods. It’s fine but I kept thinking I wish I’d just bought another Lunch. 

hopefully Dinner makes its way here. Just grateful to get anything from Maine Beer Co. 

I’ve seen Lunch, Peeper Pale Ale and Woods & Waters IPA locally. I’d place them in that order, with Lunch way ahead of the other two. Peeper is solid. I didn’t care for Woods. It’s fine but I kept thinking I wish I’d just bought another Lunch. 

hopefully Dinner makes its way here. Just grateful to get anything from Maine Beer Co. 

I’m mdleast and I approve this message

You know, Martin House, I try to defend some of your weird stunt beers and give them an honest shot. Hell, I even tried both your pickle and spicy pickle beer (only bought a single can of each and didn’t finish either even splitting it). But now I feel like you’re obviously just trolling us these days.

600e2a0ffbb4d16c6e074ca0dcb882a8.jpg

f80d7c5f22ce37751ebd974302694f46.jpg

1523927432dccec9d267837ddf7c5110.jpg

Negged for sharing  a beer opinion, while also maintaining props to one of my favorite Texas brewers.

Really?

I'll say it again.  The Pre War Pilsner is pretty fucking meh.  I do however love Hefe and the Primus from Live Oak.   I've had 4 Hefes today, in fact.

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's okay to be wrong. Pre War Pils is great. 

The style is very meh, relative to others I prefer.  Maybe they nailed it, but a great pilsner is pretty fucking boring compared with other offerings.

and FTR, i don't ever bemoan other people liking styles I don't care for.  Dollars in the coffers of craft brewers make all the wheels go round.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Negging is a bitch move, but you’re definitely wrong on this one

Nope.  I'd pick the Hefe 101 times out of 100 over the pre-war pils.

I bought 3 - sixers of hefe and 1 Pre War when I was in H-town last weekend.  along with some others I cannot get in Amarillo.

I gave it the college try, but in the end, Live Oak still gets the revenue, right?  The pilsner style just lacks a lot of character or flavor that i desire in my beer.

That's OK.  Different beer for everyone is fine.  Like I said, maybe they nailed the pilsner style.  There was nothing differentiating about the beer.  There was zero "wow" factor, if you will.

Edited by slorch