Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

Kinda cool, I guess. Would rather it were St. Arnolds or another brewery though.

Karbach Brewing Company has teamed up with legendary Texas chefs Aaron Franklin and Chris Shepherd to release a new beer called Horseshoe Pilsner, the sales of which will benefit the Southern Smoke Foundation. The crisp, low-alcohol beer (4.5% ABV) was initially conceived as a palate cleanser, brewed specifically to accompany Franklin’s barbecue at the Hot Luck Festival in Austin. As the coronavirus pandemic wore on, Franklin decided to partner with Shepherd to add a donation element to the sale of the brew.

According to a press release, the brewery expects to raise $100,000 for the Southern Smoke Foundation. Horseshoe Pilsner will be available starting October 5 at grocery stores and on tap across Houston.

HL_Horseshoe_social_IG_00.png

Edited by Storm the Field

I noticed on the last page, someone mentioned Karbach having a place to dump their bad batches in regards to the Aggy beer they're releasing. 

Are they known for having bad batches? I ask because back in April, Spec's was doing a crazy cheap sale on 24 packs of 16 oz. Karbach beers that were apparently originally intended for sale at Minute Maid Park. I grabbed a case of Crawford Bock and Love Street. The CB's were fine, but about half of the LS had to be thrown out. Completely undrinkable, horrible rotten egg smell upon opening. What's crazy is the rest were perfectly fine. There was no real pattern to it either. One would be normal, then the next 2 poured out, then 2 good ones, then 3 straight  bad ones...etc. Never had that happen with any other case of beer before.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, mdleast said:

Once again, let’s take a moment to appreciate, beyond really tasty beers, really bad ass can art

0216116d61f0743685e8c13f7c256c54.jpg

This reminds me of the time that I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare back in 2011 just because I thought the labeling was badass.  Little did I know that the bourbon would also be badass.  It makes sense though.  Anyone who puts that much effort into presentation will put effort into the product as well.

• Like 1

This is weird, and kinda sad. I stopped there a few times over the years and liked the beer and the atmosphere. Always hate to see friendships ruined by business.

https://dallas.eater.com/2020/9/10/21430793/braindead-brewing-reopening-amid-dispute-between-owners-sam-wynne-jeff-fryman?fbclid=IwAR3XJg1LhL4zdAyC6Azdm2T2IHNet4Y0veoA-i7MEEUbBQ1zQFQZM8t6FFc

Speaking of labeling, Narrows Brewing has one of my favorite's:

Lead the Way IPA.    That's the shoulder patch for the 2nd Ranger Battalion that took Pointe du Hoc at Normandy.   A portion of the sales goes to the Pointe du Hoc Foundation.   And the beer is pretty good too.

]image2259

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm looking forward to Yuengling coming west.  It's not great beer, but it will be my light beer of choice.  It blows any macro lager out of the water, and I still have a place for that beer.

I never had one until Army-Navy 2014 at M&T Stadium in Baltimore.  It quickly became my favorite cheapo beer.

It has been available in Louisiana for a few years now,  and I would grab a 12pk when I would go gambling at Lake Charles.

23 minutes ago, slorch said:

I never had one until Army-Navy 2014 at M&T Stadium in Baltimore.  It quickly became my favorite cheapo beer.

It has been available in Louisiana for a few years now,  and I would grab a 12pk when I would go gambling at Lake Charles.

I think I first had it visiting family in Virginia in 2011ish.

First time I really drank it much was my trip to Morgantown in 2013.

39 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Yuengling is fine, but if it wasn't for nostalgia I'm not sure I'd ever buy it.

There are times when I am having company and I know they will neither enjoy nor appreciate my usual stock.  When I buy American lagers or Shiner for them, I would buy Yuengling on the same occasion.  On my increasingly more frequent trips to the east coast, if I'm at an eatery and all they have are the usual suspects and Yuengling, I actually enjoy it more than the other "crap beer." 

Maybe it's because I can't get it every day, but i do enjoy the taste, for what it is, at the price it is.

Edited by slorch

If I'm going tailgating, kayaking, or in some setting where I plan to drink for an extended period of time I drink lighter beer.  Less alcohol, cheaper, etc.

Yuengling is better than any of the other stuff I'm drinking in that setting, and at the same price.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

There are times when I am having company and I know they will neither enjoy nor appreciate my usual stock.  When I buy American lagers or Shiner for them, I would buy Yuengling on the same occasion.  On my increasingly more frequent trips to the east coast, if I'm at an eatery and all they have are the usual suspects and Yuengling, I actually enjoy it more than the other "crap beer." 
Maybe it's because I can't get it every day, but i do enjoy the taste, for what it is, at the price it is.

Yeah I guess it would be my go to in those situations. My brothers all really love it so I'd definitely have some on hand for when they came to visit.