Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'll probably keep a steady supply of Yeungling in my fridge. I'm realizing that after two, maybe three of my more pricey local brews, I should probably switch to something cheaper. I need to save a few bucks here and there during these trying times.

Live Oak’s offerings are always well priced at the HEB. Don’t need to go any cheaper than that. Granted I haven’t bought macro cheap swill at a supermarket in over 10 years (other than Coors water for my MIL) so I don’t really compare pricing of macro vs craft Too often. 

29 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Did an Oktoberfest blind tasting with a few friends last night. We had 15 different beers, separated into flights advancing through 3 rounds and Samuel Adams actually won the damned thing.

Did the same thing last year and Ayinger won, but someone unexpected took second, maybe Sierra Nevada?  

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Haven’t drank Sam Adams outside of airport bars in a decade.

I never drink their flagship Boston Lager aside from airport bars, but I do enjoy some of the seasonals, especially the winter ones.

Edited by utee94

Ayinger was my favorite but it didn’t advance its round. Other guys didn’t rank it highly. This year’s Sierra Nevada was included and was unanimously the worst beer of the night. Shocked me because I’ve loved their last few versions that were collaborations with German breweries. I think covid prevented that this year.

25 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Ayinger was my favorite but it didn’t advance its round. Other guys didn’t rank it highly. This year’s Sierra Nevada was included and was unanimously the worst beer of the night. Shocked me because I’ve loved their last few versions that were collaborations with German breweries. I think covid prevented that this year.

Didn't know they'd been collaborating, might explain why our crew ranked it so highly last year.

Ayinger is my favorite and I ranked it #1, as did many others. I pretty easily recognized it amongst all the others we tried, as well.  I still have my "score card" somewhere, might go take a look at it and see what else I should be buying this year, along with "the usuals."  Do y'all make a marzen?

Didn't know they'd been collaborating, might explain why our crew ranked it so highly last year.
Ayinger is my favorite and I ranked it #1, as did many others. I pretty easily recognized it amongst all the others we tried, as well.  I still have my "score card" somewhere, might go take a look at it and see what else I should be buying this year, along with "the usuals."  Do y'all make a marzen?

we do a festbier8e6b049aa450247d8007464ec952bf6e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 10:38 PM, Dangit said:

Live Oak’s offerings are always well priced at the HEB. Don’t need to go any cheaper than that. Granted I haven’t bought macro cheap swill at a supermarket in over 10 years (other than Coors water for my MIL) so I don’t really compare pricing of macro vs craft Too often. 

Ain’t nobody saying they’d take a Yuengling over a Primus.   There are times however, when cheapo beer is the call of the day.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Ain’t nobody saying they’d take a Yuengling over a Primus.   There are times however, when cheapo beer is the call of the day.

Have I mentioned that there will be Live Oak Treehugger this year?  I already have some, but even you heathens will be able to get it in a month or two.

All my local breweries are making an oktoberfest. All are pretty good. I couldn't rank them if you asked me to. The only oktoberfest I ever had that was terrible was from Atwater Brewery from somewhere up north. My dad bought it for me when he attended his Air Force reunion. Probably the only beer I ever poured out after the second one was also terrible.

All my local breweries are making an oktoberfest. All are pretty good. I couldn't rank them if you asked me to. The only oktoberfest I ever had that was terrible was from Atwater Brewery from somewhere up north. My dad bought it for me when he attended his Air Force reunion. Probably the only beer I ever poured out after the second one was also terrible.
I drain poured five Choctoberfests years ago. It almost had to be a bad batch because I don't know how else you fuck it up that bad. Also No Label's was awful last year. It was the hoppiest märzen ever created.

25 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I drain poured five Choctoberfests years ago. It almost had to be a bad batch because I don't know how else you fuck it up that bad. Also No Label's was awful last year. It was the hoppiest märzen ever created.

I had a local Octoberfest a few weeks ago and it tasted kinda off. The second one a few days later was definitely sour. I thought maybe my tastebuds were just off. The next day the brewery announced a recall of the batch I had bought saying there was something off with the canning. They replaced it without question. The new batch was great. I love how local breweries are so good at customer relations.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:44 AM, CooterBrown said:

No pics but I had a few Oktoberfest selections yesterday.  The (512) is the only one I would pass on. 

My ranking:

1. Altstadt Oktoberfest

2. Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen

3. Live Oak Oaktoberfest

4. St Elmo Schlagen Oktoberfest

5. (512) Oktoberfest

I've never had an Alstadt beer but based on this I picked up some of their Oktoberfest (on sale at WF for $8.99). Excited to crack a few tonight.  I enjoyed the Schlagen as well.