Rolling Stones track dump by ABKCO

jimmyjazz

Is this one of those preserving the copyright things?  I know The Beatles did a deep track release a few years back and everyone was all "great, we're finally going to get every take every song ever."  Seemed a weird release to not follow up on.  But since then, nothing...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/the-beatles/10515844/The-Beatles-59-unreleased-tracks-to-be-put-on-iTunes-by-Apple.html

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Is this one of those preserving the copyright things?  I know The Beatles did a deep track release a few years back and everyone was all "great, we're finally going to get every take every song ever."  Seemed a weird release to not follow up on.  But since then, nothing...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/the-beatles/10515844/The-Beatles-59-unreleased-tracks-to-be-put-on-iTunes-by-Apple.html

Yes.  Apparently ABKCO also added a "tone" to all the audio..  These replies from the Steve Hoffman forum kind of explain it...

You’re missing the point here.
Firstly, the band has prevented ABKCO for releasing these songs on media.
Secondly, ABKCO had to maintain the copyright.

So, if you were ABKCO, knowing that you couldn’t release these tracks, but at the same time had to claim copyright on them to prevent public domain, what would you do? Just put them on youtube for free? Sorry, that’s not how it works.

It has obviously not been the plan for them to even let people know they were available.
The tone is a watermark and it’s obviously there to PREVENT people listening to them, as the public shouldn’t know about it in the first place. Now they have released it and now it’s already gone.

Again, we can only complain the fact that ABKCO/Stones can’t agree on such releases.

But your claim that it should just be put out for people to enjoy, are pure ignorance. ABKCO want their share. The Stones want theirs. And they can’t agree or can’t reach an agreement. Shame.

Dylan's people sell their copyright protection sets in limited numbers in the EU (the 1965 set was download only). But legally this is not necessary. To secure the copyright in the EU of a recording made in 1963 or later it just needs to be "lawfully published or lawfully communicated" to the public within 50 years after "fixation" (= recording date). Putting it on YouTube for a short while is a lawful publication/communication. ABKCO did this to secure the copyright in the EU (as they have done with some 1965/66/67/68 recordings).

LINK

• Like 1

Stunning version of Beware of Darkness.  Concrete Blonde did a fantastic cover of that years ago.   I worked in a bar in college and the daytime crowd was made up mostly of WWII and Korean War guys.  Tough old fuckers.   I played this on the jukebox and I looked over and one old dude was crying.  I asked if he was alright and he said, "This song....." and just shook his head.    He finally told me that he always loved the Leon Russell version.  

The owner was a fighter pilot and for a short while, he flew Buddy Holly around.    I never knew this until I read it in his obituary.  He also played the trumpet in Teagarden's band.  Talk about a renaissance man.