OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

13 hours ago, Constant said:

Some smoke around OU offering Joey McGuire a co-defensive coordinator or associate head coach position and golden parachuting Ruffin off the staff. Still leaves the RB coach position open. 

Well this is interesting

https://soonersports.com/sports/football/coaches

spacer.png

Looks like they're currently performing some maintenance

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

• 3 weeks later...

Various OU sites reporting that starting SS Chase Sylvie is considering entering the portal as a grad transfer. It appears in a last ditch effort to keep him the Sooners will let him move to CB. FS Justin Broiles is also moving to CB, while NB Jeremiah Criddell is moving to FS. I assume that means that one of the FR will be on the 2-deep at NB (Eaton, Dennis, Washington, Harrington).

Grinch "we need to run all these scrubass motherfuckers off" 

Also Grinch "where the fuck is everyone?" 

I didn't realize that the Sooners had moved Woodi Washington to SS. I'm really surprised that Jamal Morris didn't get any playing time and is behind Washington. Morris was an EE and physically seemed ready to play. He also seems to be the kind of player that they are lacking right now in terms of size and physicality.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah that's going to get dropped in a few kids' DMs

“We’re sho Ned, he’s been on faculty for 10 years and never have we seen any behavior like this.”

no shit? Well he hasn’t been knocking on the door of death and irrelevancy for 20 years. From what I can tell it seems to be making a lot of old people bitter AF. What a dumb fuck. 

22 hours ago, golfclap said:

Various OU sites reporting that starting SS Chase Sylvie is considering entering the portal as a grad transfer. It appears in a last ditch effort to keep him the Sooners will let him move to CB. FS Justin Broiles is also moving to CB, while NB Jeremiah Criddell is moving to FS. I assume that means that one of the FR will be on the 2-deep at NB (Eaton, Dennis, Washington, Harrington).

I didn't realize that the Sooners had moved Woodi Washington to SS. I'm really surprised that Jamal Morris didn't get any playing time and is behind Washington. Morris was an EE and physically seemed ready to play. He also seems to be the kind of player that they are lacking right now in terms of size and physicality.   

21 hours ago, golfclap said:

I think a lot of this intel is flawed. 

Chase Sylvie never started at OU that I recall. I don't think he even played last year. Justin Broiles proved in the playoff that he can't cover 1on1 at all. Moving him to CB might as well be moving him to Alaska. Like many of the OU defenders already in the portal, if these guys leave, I don't know how much of a loss it is.

The Sooners will have Tre Brown at one corner. Jaden Davis, Tre Norwood, and the freshmen will be in the mix.

For the safety spots, OU has a higher floor. Turner-Yell played better in the latter half the year. I don't know if he has the athleticism to hang with elite pass catchers, but he's a good tackler and not the worst cover safety OU's rolled out. Patrick Turner set a floor for the other safety spot. He is in position and assignment sound. He definitely isn't a plus athlete, but he won't get OU beat against most teams either.

The nickel is a trash fire. Bookie Radley-Hiles did a few things well like attacking bubble screens and playing reasonable zone coverage. His lack of discipline, size, and speed mean he can't perform some basic functions such as getting off blocks at all or covering bigger or faster receivers 1on1. 

OU has several intriguing athletes for these three spots (safety and nickel) in the pipeline. They defensive coaches stated that they want to rotate players at all positions, and hopefully some of the guys listed below will contribute in 2020. 

Unlike Broiles, against LSU, Woodi Washington was in position and tackled effectively. The Tigers just made plays, and he did get beat then. From what I saw, he needs more run at NB, S, or somewhere. Criddell and Morris look the part and really need opportunities. Morris is apparently a bright guy too, so I don't know what's holding him back.

Some of the incoming players may hold promise for next too. Justin Harrington looks like a plus athlete, but he's a JUCO...who was supposed to be at OU this semester...and is delayed until the Summer (eye roll). As EEs, Bryson Washington and DJ Graham are apparently impressive, but what will that mean in the Fall?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, quigley said:

Like many of the OU defenders already in the portal, if these guys leave, I don't know how much of a loss it is.

thanks for the info. Appreciate it. 

I know that it might not be a hit in terms of losing quality players (ie. guys that simply were never going to contribute). The real issue is that at some point (and it looks like 2021 will be the start of it) the Sooners defensive depth chart is going to be very thin. The margin for error then goes to zero as you can't miss on any recruits. The 25/85 caps make it a real challenge to fill up a depleted roster spot. Longhorn fans know this all too well (see OL from the FUPM era to 2018). When you become that depleted you can't take an intriguing athlete and stash him for 3 years. You can't teach guys. They go directly on to the 2-deep and if you take a guy and he's a lazy piece of shit -- it hurts. a lot. You are already seeing it a bit with a guy like Marcus Stripling who really should've used 2019 as a RS year and instead was forced onto the 2-deep. He's lost not only lost a year of physical development but played an entire year to make 6 tackles and a sack. A guy like Josh Ellison going from not even recruited by OU,Texas, LSU, TCU, etc ... to going right on the 2-deep for the Sooners. That kind of thing is a direct result of the mass exodus of defensive players. 

You can't have this kind of attrition from the past 2 classes with no negative impact - even if the guys that are leaving aren't contributors. 

22 minutes ago, quigley said:

Morris is apparently a bright guy too, so I don't know what's holding him back.

Yeah, I don't understand the hold up with Morris at all. Big, fast, physical. 

• Like 1

Golfclap said:

You can't have this kind of attrition from the past 2 classes with no negative impact - even if the guys that are leaving aren't contributors. 

I agree, and the 2020 and 2021 will feel it. By my count, OU's going to have only 38 defensive player total next year, including guys who haven't been contributors the whole time they've been on campus.

Now, the question is, what's the cost of running all those guys off? Thinking of this from a non-football, general organizational perspective, keeping negative performers is a bad idea for two big reasons: 

1. It sends the message that substandard performance is acceptable.

2. It uses resources that could be allocated elsewhere.

In line with #1, there is the hypothesis that the culture on defense was so bad, you need to process a bunch of the negative players out just to eliminate that bad vibe. Going along with #2, cleaning house gives more attention and practice reps to those who remain. It also gives you space to recruit more players and take in guys from the portal that may benefit the team.  

Your example of Marcus Stripling is a good one, but he also gets to the complexity of the situation. He certainly would've benefited from a year focused on physical development. From the wisdom found on messageboards, Stripling's lack of motivation was what was holding him back. Throwing him out there may have been necessary to keep him engaged.

As I'm seeing it, OU's only going to lose 5 - 6 defenders to graduation at the end of 2020. A couple of more will probably leave. That means OU *should* take a big defensive class in 2021, up to 13 - 14. In 2021, the roster should be restocked, though young.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Constant said:

A little too early in the game to get too excited, but I believe we just flipped a Bama DB recruit. Is this real life?

No. He was going to get pushed out. Have fun with a loud mouthed, overrated DB. And while you’re at it, why don’t you go get Leon too. OU deserves more guys like that. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Constant said:

A little too early in the game to get too excited, but I believe we just flipped a Bama DB recruit. Is this real life?

Kid is mega-douche. He’ll make a perfect Sooner. 

Some posters on here were suggesting he’d get processed by Bama, but think that was more conjecture than anything concrete. Think I read he had an injury last year.

Edited by ChemicalHorn

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So another Bookie?

Yeah, it may another Bookie (I'm hoping there are better options this year), but this is a good move by OU at this point.

OU hasn't shown enough to get elite defenders to come so they are going to have to take risks on distressed assets. McCutchin is the type of player they should go after. He could recover fully and be an elite DB, worthy of being in Bama's secondary. OU's got a full season to see what his recovery looks like, and if he struggles, part ways. Plus, if they really like the safety from LBJ, it could be a package deal.

OU's DB recruiting for 2021 may be bolstered by having two well-regarded in-state prospects and Tre Norwood's younger brother in the class. They staff has some advantages this year that are uncommon. 

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Content-free poorly-written fluff from Drumm re: Mario Williams

EScwxf5WsAAmzKK?format=png&name=small

Not a lock until he completes the age old initiation of hitting a female.  Their scholarships come with womens battery and anger management courses.

So OU has a spring depth chart with some updated heights/weights and positions. 

https://soonersports.com/documents/2020/3/9/Rosters_Oklahoma_Spring_2020.pdf

Interesting note --  look at LB. Looks like they are moving Jamal Morris, Davis Ugwoegbu (down to 245), and Robert Barnes to LB.

I guess that answers the question as to why they never got Morris more involved in lieu of Woodi Washington. also interesting is the lack of size on DL - with more BigXII teams moving from the Air Raid and Veer and Shoot to more traditional power spread concepts this seems like an interesting thing to watch as the season goes on. 

Defensive Ends:

Ronnie Perkins 6-3 247
Marcus Stripling 6-3 240
Isaiah Thomas 6-5 260

Nose Guards:

Jordan Kelley 6-3 293
Perrion Winfrey 6-3 283
Josh Ellison 6-2 279
Zach McKinney 6-3 258

Defensive Tackles:

Jalen Redmond 6-3 278
Laron Stokes 6-4 276
Kori Roberson 6-4 273
Marcus Hicks 6-5 272

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

So OU has a spring depth chart with some updated heights/weights and positions. 

https://soonersports.com/documents/2020/3/9/Rosters_Oklahoma_Spring_2020.pdf

Interesting note --  look at LB. Looks like they are moving Jamal Morris, Davis Ugwoegbu (down to 245), and Robert Barnes to LB.

I guess that answers the question as to why they never got Morris more involved in lieu of Woodi Washington. also interesting is the lack of size on DL - with more BigXII teams moving from the Air Raid and Veer and Shoot to more traditional power spread concepts this seems like an interesting thing to watch as the season goes on. 

Defensive Ends:

Ronnie Perkins 6-3 247
Marcus Stripling 6-3 240
Isaiah Thomas 6-5 260

Nose Guards:

Jordan Kelley 6-3 293
Perrion Winfrey 6-3 283
Josh Ellison 6-2 279
Zach McKinney 6-3 258

Defensive Tackles:

Jalen Redmond 6-3 278
Laron Stokes 6-4 276
Kori Roberson 6-4 273
Marcus Hicks 6-5 272

They’re either purposefully under-reporting weights or they’re going crazy trying to slim their DL down. Perkins, Stripling, and Ellison are all way below their weights as recruits. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

They’re either purposefully under-reporting weights or they’re going crazy trying to slim their DL down. Perkins, Stripling, and Ellison are all way below their weights as recruits. 

What's the plan there? If it were just the ends I would assume they plan to scheme more off the ball looks for them but slimming down the space eaters would negate that. LSU was noticeably faster than them in the playoff, but if the knee jerk over-correction is for everyone to get light in the offseason, that feels poorly thought out.