OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

2 of those guys will only be 5 stars on rivals and won’t be close to composite 5 stars by the end of the cycle. 

This reminds me of the year that he and Crabtree touted Jermie Calhoun, RJ Washington, Stephen Good, and Josh Jarboe as 5 stars.

I remember seeing Van play and seeing Jermie Calhoun and laughing my ass off. Calling that fucking scrubass a JAG would have been an affront to the average unathletic Texas high school football player. He clearly had good size and decent speed, but he also clearly sucked at football. He should've been a low 3 star if only for his frame and his decent straight line speed at that size. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Burris Fong'd to OU and you know that one is accurate because his boy Elko is on the losing end of it. 

I don’t necessarily want to see Burris go to OU, but I’m also not torn up about missing on him. I think he’s pretty overrated at this point. I think he’ll be solid and not get pushed around at the next level, but I struggle to see him be much of a difference maker. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t necessarily want to see Burris go to OU, but I’m also not torn up about missing on him. I think he’s pretty overrated at this point. I think he’ll be solid and not get pushed around at the next level, but I struggle to see him be much of a difference maker. 

We better close on Turner

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is my take as well and it'd be my take if he were coming to Texas. I think he'd be a better fit getting to 290 and playing inside in a 4 man front but his frame is right inline with what Grinch is doing at the DT spot and I think it's likely they try to keep him around his current weight (dropping bad/adding good). 

Marcus Burris 6-4 262

Defensive Tackles:

Jalen Redmond 6-3 278
Laron Stokes 6-4 276
Kori Roberson 6-4 273
Marcus Hicks 6-5 272

Looks like the Stanford offer to Oregon DE Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge was a big one. Drumm changed his CB to Stanford with a confidence of 8. Of note from his article about Rawlins-Kibonge was this quote 

"The actually see Downs and Burris inside. Gilliam likely as well. Would take one more DE (unless an ELITE ONE comes along then you take two), and one more OLB. Same goes there. Could possibly take two if it’s the right guy." 

Burris is a no-brainer, the only team not recruiting him for the inside is aggy, but Downs and Gilliam? 

Downs 6'4" 222 - Gilliam 6'2" 225 

I know that Grinch wants to be faster but for a team that keeps getting bitchfucked by more physical teams the last thing that they need to do is get way smaller than they already are. I don't have any idea how reliable any info from Drumm is, esp. in terms of the Sooner coaching staff, but this is pretty crazy. Even as WDEs these guys are on the smaller side of things. Moving them to a 3-tech? Oof.  I think Downs is a really good looking player without a position, but I'd be hard pressed to want to add 40+ pounds to that frame and have him play 3? You'd be taking away the athleticism that sets him apart. 

related news - Monkell Goodwine update ::

Monkell Goodwine... Yep, that name is back in the middle of Sooners recruiting talk, and for a good reason, too. How it came about is the most interesting part of it all...

This past weekend, I randomly got a text from a source, saying, "I let OU know that they are back in with Monkell Goodwine," the source said. "I was told by some folks that he spoke with Caleb (Williams), and from there, he told some people that OU was back in it." Now, Goodwine put out a top-5, but that is now gone off of his Twitter account. The Sooners didn't make it then due to some miscommunication.

For those that forgot or weren't on OUinsider back then, the Sooners hired Jamar Cain last winter. He was under the impression that Goodwine was an interior lineman, or wanted to be recruited as such. It was no one's fault, but Cain and Riley tried to make sure Goodwine knew that he was a DE for the Sooners, and just like he was with all of the other schools recruiting him. That seemed to fix it with Goodwine until it didn't, and OU was back off the list again.

I am told it is back on for good (for now at least), but it's all new again, according to a source, "Monkell just started talking to OU again," the source said. "Coach Lincoln Riley called and let us know that he was still interested. Monkell and Coach Cain have begun to talk a lot again. Kell is working on his finals this week, so he isn't going to set up a virtual visit to OU yet, but it could happen on Friday. That would be the day if it was going to happen this week. He isn't talking to many coaches with school so busy, but he has made time for OU, Clemson, LSU, and Alabama. I know those four are his top squads, and will for sure get an official visit."

The team left off of the official visit talk was Texas A&M. I was taken back because there was a lot of chatter with Goodwine and Gig'Em until recently. So, what is the deal? The source explained it as best as they could, saying, "Kell just hasn't talked a lot to A&M lately," they said. "They may get an official visit, but I don't think so right now. I just see Kell taking those four," the source continued.

so the 2 guys ~220 are going to play inside but Goodwine is going to play DE? 

Vine Ok GIF

24 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I don't have any idea how reliable any info from Drumm is, esp. in terms of the Sooner coaching staff, but this is pretty crazy.

I agree with your skepticism. I doubt Downs and Gilliam come to OU if the Sooners' pitch is redshirt, gain 50 lb, and play inside. Furthermore, looking at the interior DL the Sooners recruited for 2000, 275 - 290 lb guys is who OU's after.

Hercules Mata'afa was Pac-12 defensive POY at 250 lb playing interior DL at Wazzu while Grinch was there. But Wazzu's never getting upper tier talent and suffered against teams that could run the ball.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:49 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Well. That's not terrifying.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:05 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I doubt it. That seems odds considering he just got his spot at LSU, there’s still no visits, etc. I’d guess on someone committed to another school but who has been committed to them much longer. 

On 5/16/2020 at 8:35 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Right. Ryan 2 seem to qualify

Looks like this may be David Abiara.  Getting a run of flip picks, including ND mod Loy, Wiltfong, ect.

• Like 2

Fuck Farrell giving bj's to Riley...

54bd20139c09307b4e398c263476e050_bigger.    Mike Farrell   @rivalsmike
11h

Correct me if I’m wrong: but #Sooners coach Lincoln Riley is the best hire currently coaching a Power Five school since Dabo Swinney.

https://n.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-best-recent-commits-2020-s-top-trios-more

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fuck Farrell giving bj's to Riley...

54bd20139c09307b4e398c263476e050_bigger.    Mike Farrell   @rivalsmike
11h

Correct me if I’m wrong: but #Sooners coach Lincoln Riley is the best hire currently coaching a Power Five school since Dabo Swinney.

https://n.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-best-recent-commits-2020-s-top-trios-more

Oklahoma gave up 7 touchdowns in the first half of their last game and lost by 35 points giving up 693 yards to LSU. 

His qb who was taken in the second round of the nfl draft threw 0 td’s, 1 INT and had a QBR of 67. But yea, ra ra best coach with a belly tat ever.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Oh, look who showed up in the comments. Oklahoma.

Smart as it allows them to play both sides of the fence, he knows ou can't afford to not have fb. The school has been lying about its donations and academics for decades, he knows his constituency will do everything possible for a season to be played. What a pussy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Not sure what the plan is but I hope we are able to land all 3 DL Abiara, Iwunnah & Jones. 

Which would make the class (while we're dreaming of errbody) Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Abiara, Iwunnah, Jones? Seems like a lot of DL.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Which would make the class (while we're dreaming of errbody) Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Abiara, Iwunnah, Jones? Seems like a lot of DL.

It sure does but Turner does not sound to be trending our way, sec seems to now lead. Not sure how many DL we now take but going to a 4 man line, 5 seems like a good bet.

• Like 1

Give me Iwhunnah and Turner and call it a day while staying on Smith to the end and keeping Jones very warm - hell, if the Sooners have Smith locked down go ahead and take Jones and be done with it.  

I hadn't really paid much attention to him but someone sell me on any interest, other than forcing more work for the Sooner staff, in David Abiara. I watched his HUDLs and expected to see this year's version of NaNa Osafoh-Mensah - instead I see a VERY raw SDE who is the very last guy out of his stance on every single snap. He stands straight up and uses his athleticism to simply chase the play. There's nothing wrong with that as he clearly has his best football ahead of him but he also doesn't possess the innate pass rushing ability that you see in a lot of guys and no tremendous upfield burst. There's not much in the way of development or improvement year-over-year to his JR vids. He looks like a SDE project and he looks well behind Jonathon Jones, despite their respective rankings. Jones looks so much faster and more violent in his clips and has more room to grow into his lower half and put on good weight. I know that Abiara is a good student and can clearly play and will improve a lot with some minimal technique but I just don't know, it feels like his ceiling is pretty low. 

• Like 5