OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

29 minutes ago, golfclap said:

"It’s viewed as a great get by those around the nation"

"some were wanting to be viewed as a great get later on"

"Coe is an elite JUCO DL"

"but do you take three in two years is the question some are wondering?"

Yeah, these sentence fragments are quite something.  It's as if he is caught between the triumvirate of spin, hedging and an inconvenient modicum of truth.

Pretty funny listening to RJ talk about blOU going back again to JUCO ranks for DL help (Isaiah Coe). Forgets to discuss how it might turn off some of the freshman 2021 recruits...

Talks about Grinch's ideal DL size of 280 to 285lbs

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

No idea wtf is going on with Caleb Williams and Drumm here

Hide contents

EZ_nrOPXkAQc615?format=jpg&name=360x360EZ_nr10X0AAz0pT?format=jpg&name=360x360EZ_nr9yWoAAnDDQ?format=png&name=360x360

I naturally assume that every school who has fans as 995ers lobby hard for those kids to go to their respective schools and negative recruit us. It also seems like we're one of the few schools that has a lot of recruiting reporters who aren't fans of the university they cover. Then again, I don't know all the guys who cover all the other schools. I know Eric Nahlin works real hard to not lobby for UT during the process, and his focus is on the relationships with the kids and their families. He remains pretty tight with a lot of kids well after they left UT, and some of the kids that never even went to UT. Wells's only allegiance is to East Texas (mostly joking). Gerry Hamilton when he covered Texas never steered anyone anywhere. And then we have dudes like EJ, who was just as likely to shit on Texas as say anything positive and went to SMU. I think it was Colt Barber that worked at UT until he could get a job with his rape-enabling alma mater. 

One of the Clemson 995ers is a bagman for Clemson. I don't think we need to examine how Liucci, Brauniger, Perroni and the irrelevent Taylor Hamm have and continue to handle themselves in their lives and profession. The TCU and Baylor mods are both such myopic, unapologetic homers it's fucking embarrassing. Honestly, and in typical UT fashion, it seems like we end up having more people who at times have massive axes to grind with our program than try to support it, like say Bobby Burton. 

Edit: I'll addend that I realize how absurd the above can sound in relation to the "every school cheats except ours" concept that we see a lot. But I'll be damned if our 995ers just don't seem as prone to being homers for UT as we see in other places. I guess it's a pretty thankless and low paying job unless you're Ketchum or Burton and own/publish the website and get a piece of the subs, so who else would do that unless they're a fan of the school in general or want to sniff high school jocks and gas on with other children about the hottest new sneakers? But for the life of me someone will have to explain what the fuck Andrew Hattersly is doing reporting for aTm. That one makes zero sense to me on about half a dozen different levels. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Edit: I'll addend that I realize how absurd the above can sound in relation to the "every school cheats except ours" concept that we see a lot. But I'll be damned if our 995ers just don't seem as prone to being homers for UT as we see in other places. I guess it's a pretty thankless and low paying job unless you're Ketchum or Burton and own/publish the website and get a piece of the subs, so who else would do that unless they're a fan of the school in general or want to sniff high school jocks and gas on with other children about the hottest new sneakers? But for the life of me someone will have to explain what the fuck Andrew Hattersly is doing reporting for aTm. That one makes zero sense to me on about half a dozen different levels.

I would be interested to see readership/subscriber #s. I would expect that Texas has more subs across all services than most, if not all CFB teams. Lower level guys who want to do something else can get exposure covering Texas. Roach is basically pitching himself for a Dave Campbell's gig. I don't totally understand the culture positioning being done at 247. Chip is a negative homer, Taylor is a big bag of nothing who is given a bunch of bullshit content farm work, and Bobby was, is, and will always be a click hunter, program optics be damned. 

At least with Rivals you can see what they're attempting. They've dropped serious recruiting coverage completely and focus on team; a gift from TH. 

If a homer were to be plugged in somewhere, I have no idea where they would be most effective. Probably Rivals, actually, but that would compete with their TH era strategy. Maybe when Roach fucks off.

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I would be interested to see readership/subscriber #s. I would expect that Texas has more subs across all services than most, if not all CFB teams. Lower level guys who want to do something else can get exposure covering Texas. Roach is basically pitching himself for a Dave Campbell's gig. I don't totally understand the culture positioning being done at 247. Chip is a negative homer, Taylor is a big bag of nothing who is given a bunch of bullshit content farm work, and Bobby was, is, and will always be a click hunter, program optics be damned. 

At least with Rivals you can see what they're attempting. They've dropped serious recruiting coverage completely and focus on team; a gift from TH. 

If a homer were to be plugged in somewhere, I have no idea where they would be most effective. Probably Rivals, actually, but that would compete with their TH era strategy. Maybe when Roach fucks off.

Yeah, I thought at one point that Orangebloods had over 10k subscribers. I could be pulling that out of my ass, and I have no idea what that is now. But if so, that's a cool 1.2 million a year in revenue off subscription dollars alone, and I believe Ketchum gets half that off the top. Chip I assume has a job because of name recognition and no one else will hire him, but I'd be shocked if he's making more than 60-70k a year. And I assume everyone else makes substantially less than that. Pretty sure Roach makes well less than a rookie teacher. 

Nahlin is a huge fan of UT. But if anything he compensates in the other direction while doing his job, which, good for him. Although that's what results in him getting super frustrated with the program and his subscribers at times. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Nahlin is a huge fan of UT. But if anything he compensates in the other direction while doing his job, which, good for him. Although that's what results in him getting super frustrated with the program and his subscribers at times. 

But IT can't reek of homerism for the sake of being an independent publication. If they go too hard in one direction, they lose all credibility. Not that they have a ton, but certainly can't afford to lose any. 247 gets the benefit of global credibility even if their granular takes are bullshit. Their rankings are also very good. They're behind on some positional stereotypes (ILB, OLB, etc), but do a good job, otherwise. 

Ketch making 20x what Roach makes is.....

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But IT can't reek of homerism for the sake of being an independent publication. If they go too hard in one direction, they lose all credibility. Not that they have a ton, but certainly can't afford to lose any. 247 gets the benefit of global credibility even if their granular takes are bullshit. Their rankings are also very good. They're behind on some positional stereotypes (ILB, OLB, etc), but do a good job, otherwise. 

Ketch making 20x what Roach makes is.....

spacer.png

Ketch and Burton both own the rights to their sites, and they get a piece of every sub. Burton was a millionaire two times over, both from the Rivals sale to Yahoo and then the 247 sale to CBS. And after 247 he knew enough to know that he's be the owner of the UT website there as well, and continue after the sale to CBS. Subscription services are just a printing press. 

To that note, I actually think Texags is the biggest one around. Liucci gets a piece, I believe, but he isn't the big owner. 

• Like 2

OBs is the biggest site in Rivals, and they'd be even bigger if Ketchum didn't drive subs away with his... off topic takes. I think Horns 247 is somewhere in the around 10, which isn't good for a school and program like Texas, and that's with them gaining subs from buying Scout. They should fire Chip and replace him with Kaelen Jones; I don't think anyone is there for just chip anymore. I don't think most bigger programs have independent sites that steal many subs, but Texas has IT, Surly, and maybe to a lesser extent TFB, which collectively probably put a small dent into Rivals/247. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is a good take, imo. I like Kaelen a lot, but he would still be learning the job. They should fire Chip and Taylor and hire Kaelen and a guy like Dan Solomon. 

Taylor helps all the olds at 247 with technology and research.

FUCK CHIP BROWN does very little, and was even more worthless when he worked for SCOUT...

2 hours ago, Fud said:

OBs is the biggest site in Rivals, and they'd be even bigger if Ketchum didn't drive subs away with his... off topic takes. I think Horns 247 is somewhere in the around 10, which isn't good for a school and program like Texas, and that's with them gaining subs from buying Scout. They should fire Chip and replace him with Kaelen Jones; I don't think anyone is there for just chip anymore. I don't think most bigger programs have independent sites that steal many subs, but Texas has IT, Surly, and maybe to a lesser extent TFB, which collectively probably put a small dent into Rivals/247. 

someone needs to pick him up ASAP. 

3 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

I’m not starting anything but I was told by someone that Caleb Williams may  end up picking Maryland.  $$$ take that hint.

That’s actually bad news for us, at least if you subscribe to the Quinn Ewers Won’t Go To OU Behind Caleb Williams Theory. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s actually bad news for us, at least if you subscribe to the Quinn Ewers Won’t Go To OU Behind Caleb Williams Theory. 

I think Ewers may be ours if I’m to believe someone who told me all this. Seems like Texas is all in on Ewers as they should be. 

1 minute ago, Hornsfan91 said:

I think Ewers may be ours if I’m to believe someone who told me all this. Seems like Texas is all in on Ewers as they should be. 

Hey man, I want to believe and happy to toss back some kool-aid. We’re all in on the Brockermeyers too, however. The past decade or so Texas being all in on a player hasn’t exactly guaranteed a positive outcome. JoJo Earle this cycle comes to mind. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hey man, I want to believe and happy to toss back some kool-aid. We’re all in on the Brockermeyers too, however. The past decade or so Texas being all in on a player hasn’t exactly guaranteed a positive outcome. JoJo Earle this cycle comes to mind. 

Oh trust me I know. I hope we can pull it off. But I know how things can get

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I expect both Williams and Ewers to go to OU at this point. 

You always seem relatively hooked in to what OU is doing recruiting-wise, even if it barely relates to Texas beyond eventually playing them. Are you just on their boards a lot?

32 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

I’m not starting anything but I was told by someone that Caleb Williams may  end up picking Maryland.  $$$ take that hint.

Caleb has been recruiting for OU. It would be a massive shock if he didn't pick them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Barf. If we’re actually good, then we land Ewers regardless of Williams and OU. If not, then he’ll go elsewhere be it OU, Bama, etc., so put me in the camp of OU landing a 5 star QB in 2021 not being good news for Texas. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Barf. If we’re actually good, then we land Ewers regardless of Williams and OU. If not, then he’ll go elsewhere be it OU, Bama, etc., so put me in the camp of OU landing a 5 star QB in 2021 not being good news for Texas. 

Plus, whiffing on Williams would really fuck up their class. He's the rare bellcow recruiter who actually moves the needle with other recruits. 

On 6/1/2020 at 10:50 PM, KYHorn said:

LHF's follow-up to Drumm drama. Not sure what the warning is about? Just hoping to keep Surly from becoming another scat site?

Screenshot-20200601-223828.png

I missed all this... so what, we can't post stuff from blOU's 247Sports site anymore?

22 hours ago, Fud said:

Nice job FUD...

Edited by LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OU getting a lot of picks for this DL.  How many are they taking?  Does this impact Burris or Abiara?

https://247sports.com/Player/Nathan-Rawlins-Kibonge-46085715/

they are pushing him really hard for a commitment right now, in the hopes that if he does get into Stanford that they can hold on to him. He has no impact on Burris  at all (other than the 25 cap). I have no idea on Abiara honestly, they are very different builds and I don't have any idea which spot Thibs/Grinch is selling either of these guys. Even if NRK commits, I'd put him in the later flip category - depending on Stanford admissions. 

Edited by golfclap

On 6/8/2020 at 11:26 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is a good take, imo. I like Kaelen a lot, but he would still be learning the job. They should fire Chip and Taylor and hire Kaelen and a guy like Dan Solomon. 

This is also a very good take.  I like the idea of Kaelen and Solomon working there a lot.  Hell, I might even subscribe.

Nah, probably not.  But still.

• Like 1

Holy. Shit. Drumm with another gem. 

This is in a thread on J. Micheal Sturdivant - where it is being discussed that education is really important to him. 

I asked the source where things stood with Sturdivant and was told, "He is an academic guy," the source said. "Everyone thinks he will just follow the QB to LSU, but he isn't from there and Sturdivant hasn't known him or anyone else around Flower Mound (TX) Marcus area since sixth grade or anything like that. I just don't think anyone can sway him, and he will make a decision on what he wants to do that is best for him."

So, with it looking like an OU/LSU battle it has gotten pretty interesting. That said, you can't count out Cal or UCLA either. At least not with him being an academic kid.

WUUUT.png

ryan gosling GIF

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This is in a thread on J. Micheal Sturdivant - where it is being discussed that education is really important to him. 

WUUUT.png

ryan gosling GIF

Ahahahahahahaha OU thinks they're hanging out with the Cals and UCLAs of the world? Have they ever tried to talk about the academic side of their resume outside of Oklahoma or DFW?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

WUUUT.png

ryan gosling GIF

Lulz. Lumping OU in with Cal and UCLA for academics is certainly ... generous of him. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ahahahahahahaha OU thinks they're hanging out with the Cals and UCLAs of the world? Have they ever tried to talk about the academic side of their resume outside of Oklahoma or DFW?

They have the best meth making program in the country, on par with McCombs IMO

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, golfclap said:

"My source said that Sturdivant is an 'academic guy', so this is looking like an OU/LSU battle"

I feel like there's something missing in the middle there