OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

34 minutes ago, quigley said:

Would've been a good get, but I felt he was redundant with Mario Williams. I'm not worried about WR recruiting at OU.

I'd rather they take 15 defensive players this cycle.

Well you just got Kibonge - so that's another, but I don't think you'll get to 15. Now you just have to hold off Stanford. He's only played 1 year of football, so he's going to be a project but he's clearly athletic as hell at that size. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Nathan-Rawlins-Kibonge-46085715/

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Well you just got Kibonge - so that's another, but I don't think you'll get to 15. Now you just have to hold off Stanford. He's only played 1 year of football, so he's going to be a project but he's clearly athletic as hell at that size. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Nathan-Rawlins-Kibonge-46085715/

He seems like an outstanding athlete, but I don't know where he'll play in this defense.

But these coaches are more likely to maximize his skills and match them to his responsibilities.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

It hurts my brain to try and read his updates. He mixes being definitive with hedging on every single update. 

Also, Smael Mondon?  to OU?

Danny Devito No GIF

I basically just look for the names of the recruits. I'm not interested in his opinion of signing them or his reflections on their ability.

His assault on the English language shows a disturbing lack of self awareness.

5 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

More likely still doesn't mean likely. You know this. 

Also agree.

But OU's starting at such a low baseline. From 2016 - 2018, the defense was bad at everything. I can't bear to rewatch most of those games, during seasons won conference championships, because the defense is SO BAD.

In 2019, they were bad at some things and okay at others. They dedicated themselves to bringing pressure, and were successful to a point. It appears they're doubling down on that tactic. Some of these guys coached at Missouri. The Tigers brought in recruits like this, guys with good tools who weren't refined. I would have loved to trade OU's defenses for the Tigers defenses during this time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, quigley said:

Also agree.

But OU's starting at such a low baseline. From 2016 - 2018, the defense was bad at everything. I can't bear to rewatch most of those games, during seasons won conference championships, because the defense is SO BAD.

In 2019, they were bad at some things and okay at others. They dedicated themselves to bringing pressure, and were successful to a point. It appears they're doubling down on that tactic. Some of these guys coached at Missouri. The Tigers brought in recruits like this, guys with good tools who weren't refined. I would have loved to trade OU's defenses for the Tigers defenses during this time.

This is called the "Todd Orlando Principle", or TOP for short. TOP is always great in year 1, but can be a real bitch in years 2 and 3. 

The further TOP get's away from LAPP (Let Athlete's Play Philosophy), the less effective it is. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

I basically just look for the names of the recruits. I'm not interested in his opinion of signing them or his reflections on their ability.

His assault on the English language shows a disturbing lack of self awareness.

I like to pick on him but I will also commend him, because like @Fud says - he is a really hard worker, he puts a ton of effort/hours into it. To me his biggest issue (assault on English aside) is that he's a fan and like Hamm reads way too much into a kid and his family saying nice things about OU. So it's impossible to take his reports in without adjusting for fandom.

17 minutes ago, quigley said:

Also agree.

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is called the "Todd Orlando Principle", or TOP for short. TOP is always great in year 1, but can be a real bitch in years 2 and 3. 

The further TOP get's away from LAPP (Let Athlete's Play Philosophy), the less effective it is. 

I had this same thought. Pressure-oriented DCs that emphasize a lot of stunting and struggle to maintain good defenses long-term. I’ll be interested to see how Grinch does moving forward. Then again, if he has a good year, he might be gone after next year anyways. 

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I had this same thought. Pressure-oriented DCs that emphasize a lot of stunting and struggle to maintain good defenses long-term. I’ll be interested to see how Grinch does moving forward. Then again, if he has a good year, he might be gone after next year anyways. 

Luckily the goal with Grinch is to maintain just a very average defense, sadly.  Whatever scheme he uses they need better players.  Sounds crazy, but that’s what it comes down to.  

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

Yep, the focus is clearly on disruption. The Pac 12 defenses used to excel at this in the 90s -- those defenses were an answer to West Coast offenses predicated on timing and Grinch is taking that approach to defending QB driven spread teams. Make enough negative plays behind the LOS , force bad decision TOs, and create 3rd and longs to get the ball back to Riley's offense. I get it. As long as OUs offense continues to be a fucking track meet, it's going to work and win a lot of games.  I also admit that for a team that has had trouble being bullied by teams with comparable athletes - that getting even smaller (even if you get quicker/faster) to increase disruption is a huge gamble. It's going to be really interesting to see how it manifests in 2021 and beyond. 

@quigley do you know if Grinch has HC aspirations? Or is he content to be Riley's Mickey Andrews/Bud Foster? He's young but I can also see this as a viable career path. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also agree. In addition, the OU defense got away with its pressure philosophy during a year when the Big12 was down on offense.

I believe it's plausible that OU comes out with something different this year. Grinch and Co have had a year to learn their players better, and there were significant personnel losses. They may need a different approach just to tread water. No intel, just conjecture.

RE: duration of Grinch's tenure at OU. He was listening to offers after this past season.

FWIW, if Grinch fashions a top 10 defense next year and then jets, I'm cool. That would equal a lot of W's, significant improvement in skill, and allow Riley to recruit an outstanding replacement.

Plus, the OU defensive staff is in much better shape. At LB coach, Brian Odom is an Oklahoma guy who also may be ready to ascend if/when Grinch leaves.

1 hour ago, quigley said:

FWIW, if Grinch fashions a top 10 defense next year

Y’all lost all your best players and were 69th on defense per FEI last year. You should really slow down on even the faintest hope of being top 10. Shooting for top 40 would be a dream come true for y’all. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

What’s his story? That ranking doesn’t even remotely match his offer list. 

Athletic field corner project. LSU offered early spring and then the rest of the country followed suit within days. 

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Y’all lost all your best players and were 69th on defense per FEI last year. You should really slow down on even the faintest hope of being top 10. Shooting for top 40 would be a dream come true for y’all. 

Don’t disagree at all Burt. Hell if we crack the Top 50 this year I’d consider that a rousing success. 

22 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

C'mon dude, you're better than that. Look at the context of the statement. It was referring to the possibility of Grinch leaving. For him to leave, OU needs to be successful on defense. I was stating I hope he is successful and am okay with him leaving.

FWIW, all of 2019, FEI was lower on the Sooner defense than other advance metric aggregates. SP+ and FPI both have OU in the 40s. Is there a reason that you prefer drive-based stats?

12 hours ago, golfclap said:

Prophet Brown and Caleb Johnson. Grinch going to the same well twice? I’m assuming they are taking them both as CB projects. 

Brown, Johnson, Rawlins-Kibonge all fit the model of "guys with athletic ability but little experience." In the 2020 class, Eaton, Arinze, Graham could also be in that bucket.

If OU's staff can teach, it's a winning proposition.

Drumm on all the hubbub:

Last night there was tweets from commits where they all tweeted a red O emojicon. What did all off that mean?

Well, I reached out to a few sources and one told me, “Big-time news is coming in the next few days.” Does that mean today (with the tweets happening last night) or does it mean a week or even two weeks from now? That I haven’t nailed down completely. Still working on the date.

Also, yesterday evening I was told, “one more big name Sooners target is likely to announce on July 4 and it could be good news for OU.” Right now, that could be who the recruits were talking about last night or another target making the next two weeks even bigger. I am working to nail that down.

I have heard rumors on who both could be, but I don’t want say a side of the ball just yet. What I can say is if it is two targets they are Top 247. If it’s one, well, obviously the one is Top 247, too.

There is a ton of rumors rolling around right now. What we do know for sure is that there is another big name target and Top 247 target likely to commit by July 4th and their name isn’t Caleb Williams.

If Williams announces to OU that could make for quite the next two weeks and help create an even bigger roll for the LincUp21 class heading into July.

Oklahoma is looking at a potential of two or three commits by July 4th. It all depends on if my two sources were talking about the same player as the recruits were last night.

When I get more info I will TRY to hint a bit better.

*** Just a quick note on four-star RB Camar Wheaton. I spoke with a few people yesterday and things seem to be trending pretty solidly for the Sooners here. No, I’m not saying he is who the commits were talking about last night, as I talked to people about Camar earlier in the day.

What I can say is that OU hasn’t been pressing for another RB and that is telling in my opinion. No one truly knows what Camar is thinking, but they can get a feel for it, and right now that feeling is that Demarco Murray and the Sooners have done a great job recruiting the elite RB.

Timeline-wise it’s a bit of head scratcher, but there is some belief that he could decide in the month of July or wait until August. Either way, I like where OU stands. The only reservations I have is the fact he is so quiet that things could change and we would never know. He truly has been one of the more difficult recruits to hear things on that I have covered.

I know Texas, LSU and SMU are also in a decent spot for the elite RB, too. Where they stand is something I am working on finding out, but I can tell you that OU is feeling a lot more confident than last time I checked around. How that plays out is yet to be determined.

Stay tuned to OUinsider as we work to nail down that and more info on the tweets from last night

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Translation: "I don't know shit."

Or to repeatedly paragraphs Drumm, "can't nail shit down."

You fucking said it, Brandon. 

You got it all wrong.

Translation: People are going to go to college. Some will announce now, some later. Some at OU, some other places.

• Haha 1