OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

someone posted TFB stuff from a couple of days ago, will xpost to the other thread

Camar Wheaton and Running Back Update
– Super K

As you know, the Sooners have been in hot pursuit of 2021 5-star RB, Camar Wheaton. New Sooners coach (but not a new Sooner), DeMarco Murray is looking to hit a home run in his first season on OU’s staff.

***Last month, some of you seemed to think Wheaton was under commitment watch. As we noted then, citing a source close to Wheaton that at the time we did not think that was the case – at least, nothing was imminent in May.

***Also, I recently noted that per our sources, the Sooners are less likely now to take two RBs. I believe they will choose to use that number elsewhere. The possibility isn’t ruled out but it won’t be the priority. It would likely only happen if they miss out on guys they like at other positions.

***With that said, I’m told that the Sooners have slowed their RB recruiting down quite a bit and are really focused in on Camar.

***I still don’t have a solid timeline on when he may announce a decision but I have been told that part of the reason the Sooners have slowed down with other backs is they feel more and more confident in their ability to land Camar Wheaton.

***I am told that they are not putting all their eggs in the Wheaton basket but essentially the way it was explained to me is that the gap between Wheaton and some of the other backs is big enough to where they feel like if they do miss on Wheaton (and again, they feel good right now), it won’t be hard for them draw from another basket.

***One of my takeaways in checking on this that the staff seems pretty relaxed on this front which explains why running back recruitment has been a little on the quiet side.

33 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I don't have a 247 sub, so perhaps I'm taking his title out of context, but Drumm's update on the kid on the OU boards is titled "WR numbers can be confusing" so...yeah.

Oof. Update comes in above the note from earlier today where talks about Sturdivant causing Farooq to be a numbers casualty. So close.  

Update ::

And just like that, myself and Steve Wiltfong have talked with sources to get more info. A source told me, “It doesn’t look like its (OU) for Sturdivant.” So, I’m leaning Cal right now, and it does look like OU will be able to take Farooq if it plays out like we have discussed on here for weeks.

I’m am CB’ing Sturdivant to Cal.

Again, we will update as we get more info.

There are two top Sooners WR targets announcing on July 4th. Both seem to be leaning to OU, if I was to guess. We are working to nail down theJ.Michael Sturdivant deal. He says he is announcing on Saturday. No one really knows what to actual deal is with him just yet, as he just popped out of the blue with his announcement date.

Source I have spoken with tell me, “Unsure with numbers.” Another tells me, “(OU) can’t take all of them. Someone will get left out.”

Five-star WR Emeka Egbuka will not get left out if he decides on OU... IF... He has a spot no matter what. That comes with being a five-star WR. Same goes with commits Cody Jackson and Mario Williams.

Keon Coleman is set to announce on the fourth and if the Sooners want they can make him an athlete for numbers sake. That is, if the Sooners are Ryne choice for Coleman. Will OU do that? We will know more after July 4th on that. Right now, he looks like a WR take for the Sooners if he chooses OU on the 4th.

Four-star Jalil Farooq is the wild card. He was once a guy that looked destined to OU, but he may want to wait a bit longer. In doing so he may not have a spot in Norman. Obviously, the Sooners would live to have a guy like Farooq, but if Sturdivant and Coleman choose OU, and the Sooners don’t make Coleman an athlete, it looks like the line spot left — and its a tentative one — is for five-star Emeka Egbuka.

All in all, OU is just wanting to see how the fourth plays out and go from there. If Sturdivant and Coleman join LincUp21 class the Sooners will be down to one spot that is reserved for Egbuka or bust.

We will continue to update this story as we get more info. Myself and Steve Wiltfong are digging into this as we speak.

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Oof. Update comes in above the note from earlier today where talks about Sturdivant causing Farooq to be a numbers casualty. So close.  

Update ::

And just like that, myself and Steve Wiltfong have talked with sources to get more info. A source told me, “It doesn’t look like its (OU) for Sturdivant.” So, I’m leaning Cal right now, and it does look like OU will be able to take Farooq if it plays out like we have discussed on here for weeks.

I’m am CB’ing Sturdivant to Cal.

Again, we will update as we get more info.

There are two top Sooners WR targets announcing on July 4th. Both seem to be leaning to OU, if I was to guess. We are working to nail down theJ.Michael Sturdivant deal. He says he is announcing on Saturday. No one really knows what to actual deal is with him just yet, as he just popped out of the blue with his announcement date.

Source I have spoken with tell me, “Unsure with numbers.” Another tells me, “(OU) can’t take all of them. Someone will get left out.”

Five-star WR Emeka Egbuka will not get left out if he decides on OU... IF... He has a spot no matter what. That comes with being a five-star WR. Same goes with commits Cody Jackson and Mario Williams.

Keon Coleman is set to announce on the fourth and if the Sooners want they can make him an athlete for numbers sake. That is, if the Sooners are Ryne choice for Coleman. Will OU do that? We will know more after July 4th on that. Right now, he looks like a WR take for the Sooners if he chooses OU on the 4th.

Four-star Jalil Farooq is the wild card. He was once a guy that looked destined to OU, but he may want to wait a bit longer. In doing so he may not have a spot in Norman. Obviously, the Sooners would live to have a guy like Farooq, but if Sturdivant and Coleman choose OU, and the Sooners don’t make Coleman an athlete, it looks like the line spot left — and its a tentative one — is for five-star Emeka Egbuka.

All in all, OU is just wanting to see how the fourth plays out and go from there. If Sturdivant and Coleman join LincUp21 class the Sooners will be down to one spot that is reserved for Egbuka or bust.

We will continue to update this story as we get more info. Myself and Steve Wiltfong are digging into this as we speak.

Is this what you guys extract from this?

OU 2021 WR: 3 - 4 (4 if Egbuka)

IN: Mario Williams, Cody Jackson

Plus one more: Jalil Farooq, Coleman, or circle back to one of the other guys they've had on their radar (Sturdivant, Malcolm Johnson, etc)

OU only has about 10 WR in the program this year so taking four doesn't seem excessive.

I was taking it as meaning 4/5 in :

Williams. Jackson. Coleman. Farooq (he was out because of Sturdivant). Possibly Egbuka.

@quigley does that 10 include the grad xfers as well?  The Sooners signed 3 of those on top of the recruits in the 2020 class.( As well as a PWO spot for Davion Curtis. ) I guess I hadn’t noticed the attrition at WR, if that’s the case.

I agree that 4 isn’t too many if there’s only 10 including Obialo,  etc ... 

6 hours ago, golfclap said:

Williams. Jackson. Coleman. Farooq (he was out because of Sturdivant). Possibly Egbuka.

@quigley does that 10 include the grad xfers as well?  The Sooners signed 3 of those on top of the recruits in the 2020 class.( As well as a PWO spot for Davion Curtis. ) I guess I hadn’t noticed the attrition at WR, if that’s the case.

WR attrition from OU

2018 class 2 enrolled -2 (portal x2)

2017 4 enrolled -3 (Brown-NFL, Lamb-NFL, Calcaterra-injury)

2016 3 enrolled -3 (portal x3)

Looking at the scholarship chart on 247, they have 8 WR list for 2020. That includes a walk-on, Stoops' son,  a guy with torn ACL (Haselwood), and a guy suspended for weed for 6 games (Bridges). Only 1 of the 3 new Fr is included on the chart. Of the 2 unlisted player, there are rumblings one may be moved to RB (Darby). Sprinkle in 2 grad transfers (1 of the transfers is walked-on at Miss St and recorded 0 receptions), subtract one torn Achilles tendon (Howard).

So... 8 - 4 (nepotism/walk-on/injured/suspended) = 4           4 + 3 (minus 1 RB) = 5              5 + 2 (minus 1 Achilles) = 7

That's why I said "about 10." OU may really rely on nepotism/walk-ons in 2020. OU may run a lot of 21, 22 bc they've got talent and experience there.

Bridges will be back for latter part of whatever of 2020 season occurs. Haselwood/Howard are of course on the books but out until 2021, but there is uncertainty in WR returning from those injures. The Obiolo will be off the books for 2021.

That's why numbers for 2021 may be a bigger than anticipated.

• Like 5

Thanks for the update. I was under the impression that Haselwood was only going to be out for the early part of the schedule in 2020. It certainly seems like 4 at WR would be a minimum type number with that depth chart, but it's going to be a challenge with the 25 cap to deal with this attrition WR while restocking from the Grinch attrition on D. 

7 hours ago, golfclap said:

Thanks for the update. I was under the impression that Haselwood was only going to be out for the early part of the schedule in 2020. It certainly seems like 4 at WR would be a minimum type number with that depth chart, but it's going to be a challenge with the 25 cap to deal with this attrition WR while restocking from the Grinch attrition on D. 

You may be right, but I discount the possibility of him returning as a difference-maker in 2020.As we all know, WR requires explosiveness/change of direction that will take time to rehab and trust. A best case would be for them to wait until the last couple of games of the season to play. If he feels good, use him in conference championship and playoff. If not, redshirt is intact.

What OU really needs to do is break the cycle of boom-bust WR classes. They alternate really good with very bad classes:

2016: 3 portals, 0 contributors

2017: 4 contributors

2018: 2 portals, 0 contributors

2019: 2 promising Fr years plus Bridges

2020: Weak recruiting class on paper

2021: First 2 recruits look good on paper and in on some other promising ones.

3 hours ago, quigley said:

You may be right, but I discount the possibility of him returning as a difference-maker in 2020.As we all know, WR requires explosiveness/change of direction that will take time to rehab and trust. A best case would be for them to wait until the last couple of games of the season to play. If he feels good, use him in conference championship and playoff. If not, redshirt is intact.

What OU really needs to do is break the cycle of boom-bust WR classes. They alternate really good with very bad classes:

2016: 3 portals, 0 contributors

2017: 4 contributors

2018: 2 portals, 0 contributors

2019: 2 promising Fr years plus Bridges

2020: Weak recruiting class on paper

2021: First 2 recruits look good on paper and in on some other promising ones.

He can play 4 games and still redshirt...

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-governor-Kevin-Stitt-takes-shot-at-Texas-Longhorns-calling-them-shorthorns-in-COVID-19-press-conference-148699344/

Oklahoma governor takes shot at Longhorns

Gov:  “It may take some getting used to, but it’s a small price to pay to be able to keep our businesses open, our economy running, and to be able to watch OU and OSU stick it to the shorthorns on the football field in the fall,” Stitt said during a press conference Tuesday.

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-governor-Kevin-Stitt-takes-shot-at-Texas-Longhorns-calling-them-shorthorns-in-COVID-19-press-conference-148699344/

Gov:  “It may take some getting used to, but it’s a small price to pay to be able to keep our businesses open, our economy running, and to be able to watch OU and OSU stick it to the shorthorns on the football field in the fall,” Stitt said during a press conference Tuesday.

Sarcastic Laugh GIF by memecandy

• Haha 1

What, I thought they had this figured out? They should reach out to chidoc, he built a business from scratch. Scratch. He also has hundreds of docs and Northwestern relying on his leadership...ou likely does not need him though, they do lead the state of Oklahoma in National Merit Scholars and some other shit they made up for decades.

Edited by Goodman

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

He's a clown for this but more for other stuff. This is just clownish behavior trying to distract us from his incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

What, I thought they had this figured out? They should reach out to chidoc, he built a business from scratch. Scratch. He also has hundreds of docs and Northwestern relying on his leadership...ou likely does not need him though, they do lead the state of Oklahoma in National Merit Scholars and some other shit they made up for decades.

If only the state of Oklahoma was as well-run as the OU football program. The Sooners were among the last teams to bring players back, and Riley has been on record from the start about his concern for player safety.

The list of things to criticize about OU and Oklahoma about is long, but this isn' t on it.

Brian Bishop (dirt burglar 247 mod) just added a CB for 5* WR Emeka Egbuka with a confidence of 7 . All of his other CBs are for tOSU (including Drumm). I think Bishop was at the disastrous Elite 11 event, so maybe the intel came from there -  but we've long known that Egbuka and Williams talk. Maybe something new? 

https://247sports.com/Player/Emeka-Egbuka-46048438/

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Brian Bishop (dirt burglar 247 mod) just added a CB for 5* WR Emeka Egbuka with a confidence of 7 . All of his other CBs are for tOSU (including Drumm). I think Bishop was at the disastrous Elite 11 event, so maybe the intel came from there -  but we've long known that Egbuka and Williams talk. Maybe something new? 

https://247sports.com/Player/Emeka-Egbuka-46048438/

For context: that guy has 6 CB predictions on committed prospects ever, with 1 being right.

Edited by Cashdaddyblumpkins
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2020 at 7:08 PM, golfclap said:

Coleman is now getting picks to KU.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Coleman is now getting picks to KU.

Including Drumm ::

I spoke with some sources and it sounds like OU is just going to take Jalil Farooq (Strong lean to OU right now) and save the fourth spot for 5-star Emeka Egbuka.

Coleman was also very much liking KU basketball and Les Miles and company have been doing a good job recruiting him.

As for OU, the Sooners want to take guys that will help with Caleb Williams. So, Jalil Farooq being so close to Williams is another added plus. One source told me, “You can’t teach speed and Farooq has it. Why he would be a take for (OU) over others.”

Obviously, that makes Farooq’s recruitment one to watch as things progress toward July 4th and beyond.

Could have been the “O” Riley tweeted out tonight? Something we working on, but feel good about where the Sooners stand with the 4-star WR.

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi...

This is good leadership messaging. The 10% salary cut will affect only three coaches I think (Riley, Grinch, and Kruger). It will save ~ 800k which is only 6% of the shortfall.

However, it shows the community that the big dogs are sacrificing (only 3.6m, how will he make it!), and it shows the football and basketball staff that there bosses are looking out for them. It may legitimately spare some staff for these sports.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, quigley said:

This is good leadership messaging. The 10% salary cut will affect only three coaches I think (Riley, Grinch, and Kruger). It will save ~ 800k which is only 6% of the shortfall.

However, it shows the community that the big dogs are sacrificing (only 3.6m, how will he make it!), and it shows the football and basketball staff that there bosses are looking out for them. It may legitimately spare some staff for these sports.

Not sure about you're numbers quigley??

( Might be  $600k + $140k =  $740k savings.    Looks like Blinkin' still earns a cool $5.4mill)

From FootballScoop:

Oklahoma: The Sooners announced that due to COVID, employees earning a salary of $1 million per year or more are subject to a 10% salary reduction this year. Head coach Lincoln Riley made $6 million last season and the 2019 USA Today salary database lists DC Alex Grinch ($1.4 million) as the only other Sooners assistant that salary reduction would apply to.

giphy.gif

(Bet some Boosters make up the salary loss for Grinch, and possibly even for Blinkin'... maybe some car dealership commercials... 😁)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure about you're numbers quigley??

( Might be  $600k + $140k =  $740k savings.    Looks like Blinkin' still earns a cool $5.4mill)

From FootballScoop:

Oklahoma: The Sooners announced that due to COVID, employees earning a salary of $1 million per year or more are subject to a 10% salary reduction this year. Head coach Lincoln Riley made $6 million last season and the 2019 USA Today salary database lists DC Alex Grinch ($1.4 million) as the only other Sooners assistant that salary reduction would apply to.

giphy.gif

(Bet some Boosters make up the salary loss for Grinch, and possibly even for Blinkin'... maybe some car dealership commercials... 😁)

Are you calling me out on the difference between 740K vs 800k? 🤪 Lon Kruger makes about 2m so if it's everybody > 1m, he's included.

Regardless, it's smart messaging by the Sooners athletic department.

Both those guys have incentive bonuses greater than the 10% loss so don't think they're that worried.

Drumm

Drumm Beat: Potentially HUGE day ahead, what COULD happen & MORE13VIP

My Boards
Back To Topics

Brandon Drumm

I can confirm two Sooners targets will be announcing. HOWEVER, there is some buzz that one or two more could pop off, as well, so stay tuned.

The problem with that is we don’t have confirmation on exactly who and when, so it really could be just more buzz with no substance to it. That said, we wanted you all to know that there is some rumors of a few others that could break.

*** Best guesses? ***

Farooq
Really, this is tough. Best guesses at best. Think two and be happy with more is my suggestion. However, here are some potential guys to watch.

Despite saying August could be the time of his commitment, four-star WR Jalil Farooq is a name that has been talked about over and over as of late. I tend to think he will wait, but if he doesn’t, wouldn’t July 4th with his close friend and five-star QB Caleb Williams be very fitting? Especially if Williams chooses OU or Maryland, with those two teams linked most to both 2021 stars.

How about a shocker in four-star OL Savion Byrd? Sure SMU seems to be who most pick him to commit to, but there is buzz with Savion and the Sooners. Could he quietly be maneuvering a decision on the fourth? It’s not likely, but it could be something to at the very least watch.

Four-star RB Camar Wheaton is quiet. So, so quiet. No one really knows what’s up with him. Not even those closest to him. So the elite 2021 RB making a decision to commit on the fourth would almost be out of character, right? Maybe... The Sooners have been close here for a bit. When and where is the tipping point? Could it be today?

Four-star DL David Abiara is a name long linked to Oklahoma despite his Notre Dame commitment. The fourth could be a time to do it. That said, Texas keeps popping up since the Horns offered and some are wondering if they might be the choice in the end. This weekend is big on the Abiara front, so we have our ears to the ground here. No commitment could spell a change in the lead, in my opinion. The good news is OU has other big name options at DL like...

Four-star DL Marcus Burris is a heavy lean to OU, per 247Sports crystal balls. Most thought the quiet Texarkana DL would have already gone forward and been committed. That has yet to happen, though. The fourth and the potential momentum could be the day. We shall see.

This is all guesses. If I am an OU fan I stick to thinking two and be happy with whatever else happens. Either way, we will have you covered on OUinsider VIP Board.

*** Now, for what we do know...

Times and where to see Latrell McCutchin and Caleb Williams announcements:

Latrell McCutchin: He tells me it could go public around 5 pm to 6 pm. He says that it will be on his Instagram and Twitter with Jordan Schultz of ESPN potentially having some interview, etc.

I still like OU chances here and we will have plenty of coverage on McCutchin — if he chooses OU — ready to roll out for you all.

Caleb Williams: You can view it right here on OUinsider.com, 247Sports or CBSsports.com/CBSSportsHQ. Collin and I are running the cameras and production for them and 247Sports on-site, and we will have pre and post announcement coverage LIVE here on OUinsider (as long as new equipment will allow, so fingers crossed! Ha) if he chooses Oklahoma.

Maryland made a solid final push with their pitch, according to what I was told and LSU has been consistent the whole time. Riley and OU have the best relationship, so it will be interesting to see if that wins out.

We will be on watch for any surprises, as well